Ben is correct, this is going to be different from one window manager
to the next.

Here's a nice intro to gnome-open which is what you would want to use on ubuntu
http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/12/16/gnome-open-open-anything-from-the-command-line/

in OS X you would use open

But for historical reasons this means something completely different
in the world of linux (usually but not always an alias for openvt),
which only works when you are using the console, and will fail if you
are in a GUI.