To: europa
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 2:01 AM
Subject: Solar sailing does not violate the laws of physics

"Solar Sailing Violates the Laws of Physics" - Not So
by Louis Friedman

July 9, 2003: Prof. Thomas Gold, a noted Cornell University astrophysicist, recently has published an article on the World Wide Web claiming that solar sailing "violates the laws of physics.". Specifically he says of solar sailing, "…no such pressure can be expected," and of our Cosmos 1 project, "The proposed solar sail cannot be accelerated by sunlight."

I know Prof. Gold well - he was a principal professor of mine at Cornell University, where I minored in astrophysics. He is famous for provocative theories that have sometimes proved wrong: two of the most notable being a pre-Apollo, pre-Surveyor conjecture of deep lunar dust that might swallow up spacecraft or people, and a more recent speculation about capturing huge pockets of methane below the Earth's surface as an energy source. But he is also famous for seminal work on the steady-state theory of the universe, and on devising experimental tests of theories in astrophysics. Additionally he contributed important theory to the studies of the magnetosphere and interactions with the solar wind. At Cornell, he taught me much about thinking and challenging paradigms in science.

A number of colleagues have contacted me since the web posting (on a rather obscure British web site of "e-print physics archives", http://uk.arXiv.org.) The British publication, "New Scientist," ran an article about the posting, giving it more notoriety. . They ask if I am upset, somehow perceiving that a theoretical challenge to solar sailing might undermine our effort to fly the first solar sail spacecraft. Quite the opposite - I am delighted. As Prof. Gold taught me, theories that can be tested experimentally are extremely valuable. If our solar sail mission were a test of physics theory it would be terrific.

Alas, things are not quite like that. The theory of light pressure has already been tested and proven. The force from sunlight pressure has been observed and measured. It was observed in comets long before the beginning of the space program, and has been precisely predicted and measured on a number of space missions including many Earth-orbiting satellites, the small communication reflectors put in the ionosphere in the 1960s, and even for the attitude control of the Mariner Venus Mercury spacecraft in 1973. The force is now measured and accounted for on every space mission.

Furthermore the theoretical basis of the sunlight pressure force was very well established by Maxwell in the 1860s, and recognized by Einstein in his fundamental work on the nature of light, and in the basics of quantum theory which derives the energy from light particles in terms of the frequency of the light. That light has energy and momentum is firmly understood in theory and experiment. When light hits the sail, momentum is transferred, and that is what causes the sail to be accelerated (either in the direction of motion or opposed to it, depending on which way the sail is tilted).

Gold's argument seems to neglect the quantum mechanics particle nature of light. He argues based solely on 19th century thermodynamics of heat engines. This works for large systems, but not at the quantum level, and not for photons (the massless particles of light). Another mistake by Gold (perhaps forgivable for a theoretician) is to argue on the basis of perfection. He assumes the sail is a perfect mirror and neglects absorbed photons. But the sail is not perfect and both reflected and absorbed photons contribute to the resultant force. He also claims to have performed experiments with the Crooke's radiometer (that little toy that purports to twirl blades around from light pressure). In fact it is well known that the radiometer blades turn due to the heating of air molecules by the light, causing a differential thrust on the two sides of the blades. Only in a perfect vacuum would light pressure be a significant factor. Gold created a vacuum in a laboratory experiment - but his vacuum wasn't perfect, or even good enough, and he got the wrong answer from his experiment. (The same reason we are insisting that the Cosmos 1 spacecraft fly in a high enough orbit so that air molecules don't interfere with solar sailing.)

A colleague of mine, Steve Soter an astrophysicist at the Hayden Planetarium, first informed me of Gold's argument more than a year ago. At his urging I called Prof. Gold and discussed it with him. He has forgotten more physics than I ever knew, so I was loathe to argue - but I urged him to write up his theory where it could be reviewed in the scientific literature. This web posting is all that has resulted. I have circulated it to many colleagues to see if I am missing something.

I thank Henry Harris, Chris Russell, Colin McInness, Jim Burke, Chauncey Uphoff, Jerome Wright and others for helping me with the physics arguments. After all, I am "only" an engineer. I also thank Prof. Gold for the challenge and stimulation.