Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: James Cameron and... Europa?

Sounds like the Europa mindshare problem is almost
solved.  No more "Huh? whazzat?"  After this movie,
all we'll have to deal with is whatever hideous
scientific bloopers the film will inevitably foist off
on an unwitting audience.

The last (and come to think of it, only) mention of a
an outer-planet moon in a major motion picture
that I can remember was in GATTACA.  The protagonist's
mission was going to Titan.  And that's about the
only respect in which this SF instant classic is now
at all dated.  There's a conversation between Vincent
(Ethan Hawke) and the real Jerome (Jude Law) in
which Vincent tells Jerome that Titan is covered by
clouds, and nobody knows what's down there.  Jerome
responds, "What if there's ... nothing?"  Vincent responds,
"Oh, there's something down there all right ...."

Yes, there is, and Uma Thurman plays a character named
Irene Cassini.  The Cassini probe was launched in the same
year the movie came out, so this can hardly be a
coincidence.  (If anything, it's just yet another wryly
symbolic flourish among many in that film - Vincent
is all about getting to Titan to see what's underneath
the mysterious cover, and Irene is all about getting
at Vincent, to see what's underneath ... oh, you get
the idea.)

Another connection for ya: the director of GATTACA,
Andew Niccol, was slated to direct "Terminal" - for
which he'd written the story, but Cameron somehow
got it instead - which is kind of a compliment, when
you think about it.

Whatever Cameron comes up with in this update of
the deep-sea drama genre, it couldn't be worse than
"Sphere."  (OK, you loved it, flame me now.)

-michael turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]