As to AIDS in Africa, the problem is not shortage of drugs but shortage of
condoms (approximately one per man per year).

As to Mbeki, unorthodoxy does not equal ignorance.  I think it is very
likely that the dissenting view, which he gave more credence to than most,
is incorrect.  However, several reputable scientists with expertise in the
field embrace it.  (For example, Professor Peter Duesberg, a molecular
biologist (and retrovirus expert) at UC Berkeley.)  We can't very well call
them ignorant, or even misinformed; they simply hold an extremely unpopular,
and probably incorrect--but not uneducated--opinion.

Sorry if I got you started.  But freedom is a precondition of progress in
every area of human inquiry and civilization, especially science.  The
extent to which it becomes acceptable to silence dissent and refuse to
debate well-credentialed dissenters is the extent to which we are waging a
religious war, not doing science.  I'm certainly not saying we should make
policy on the basis of the views of a small minority of dissenters--but
casting aspersions on their education and credentials, or whatever, because
they dare to disagree is another matter entirely.  There is far too much of
that going on already--and it has no place in science (to say nothing of it
being an ad hominem argument).

Sean