High Energy Physics - Phenomenology, abstract
hep-ph/0502097

From: Walter Winter [view email]
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:20:25 GMT   (302kb)

Probing the absolute density of the Earth's core using a neutrino beam

Authors: Walter Winter
Comments: 4 pages, 4 figures (color online)
Subj-class: High Energy Physics - Phenomenology; Geophysics
We demonstrate that one could measure the absolute matter density of the Earth's core with a vertical neutrino factory baseline at the per cent level for $\sin^2 2 \theta_{13} \gtrsim 0.01$, where we include all correlations with the oscillation parameters in the analysis. We discuss the geographical feasibility of such an approach, and illustrate how the results change as a function of the detector location. We point out the complementarity to geophysics.