  1) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Hybrid truck musings
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) More hybrid truck musings
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers That Refuse to Die!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Range + Golf cart vs. AGM wars
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: More hybrid truck musings
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Motors in series?  Torque vs. power?
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Range + Golf cart vs. AGM wars
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers That Refuse to Die!
Within reason, you can pretty much whack AGMs with any voltage and current you want during the bulk phase. In fact, if you watch out for excessive heat, you can even pump in UNreasonable amounts of current - in the hundreds of amps.

I totally and completely agree with that. Really. One million percent. There's just one tiny problem:

How do you know when an individual battery in a string has hit the end of the "bulk charge"?

That's the unknown, and I think that's where the problem is. If you have a pack of 25 batteries, and battery number 18 in there is a trifle bit different from it's neighbors, then it may hit the end of bulk charge a bit before it's neighbors. Since that's one battery out of 25, you might not see that it went over 14.7 while it's friends are all at 14.0 if the only thing you count on for telemetry is battery voltage.

Battery #18 will see the full current in the string since it's a series string and current is the same in a series string but it will be at it's higher voltage than the others and will start to gas. Once it gasses, even for a little bit, it loses water (then the other batteries hit 14.7 and the charger throttles back). Next time you charge, this battery will be a bit lighter, and will charge a tiny bit "faster" because less water=higher sulphuric acid ratio in there. And it will hit that sweet point a bit earlier. Each time you charge, it will slide further out of whack with the rest of the pack.

Does the above make any sort of sense?

It's during that last 20% of the charge that you need be concerned - and with CURRENT more than voltage. Once a given cell is above the gassing voltage, the more current that you give it, the more it gasses. If the gassing is slow enough that the recombination reaction can keep up with it, all is well.

Right. Which is why I think one can charge at 2.5amps using the dopey Dolphin "safely". The recombiners can keep up with this apparently, but they can't keep up with 20 amps. I think that was the Dolphin idea, and in theory it should work great.

Also why I ask about lowering the voltage setpoint from switching from bulk charge to finish charge rate. That's the only window I have in my pack at the moment, and if I drop down from 362.50 to 350 say for this I reduce the chance of "clipping" a battery. By lowering the bulk current at the start, I also limit the damage somewhat if a battery was really weird. Though the more I think about it, if one battery goes above 14.7 while the pack itself is at 14.0 average (350) then maybe it's time to drop the pack anyway.

Except for this "Hawkers *REQUIRE* that you charge at high rates during bulk" thing. Why? To what level? Can I charge at high rates for 5 minutes of the charge to "blow off the electrons" or whatnot then crawl back into my lower-current pit of comfort? How about 30 seconds of charge at 6C (150a regen, assuming the pack is unbalanced 99% one string, 1% the other)?

Again you have missed a crucial point here. No, it is NOT around 0.5 amps per string. You can't be sure that one amp from your charger is dividing equally between the parallel strings. It's quite possible that 0.99 amps is flowing through one string, and 0.01 amps through the other. The charger should limit the equalization current to no more than the value that's acceptable for ONE string.

*nod* I was assuming that 1 amp (actually .8a IIRC) is safe for a 26ah battery so that it won't gas. I can test this easily enough; take a Hawker out to the woodshed, remove the top (so the cell nipples will pop off if it gasses) and charge away using my 1 amp constant voltage/current bench power supply. If I can make the nipples pop, I'm gassing.

Two packs, going on three. These are expensive lessons, aren't they? Been there, done that, still learning. IMO, it sure would be nice if we could just lease and maintain battery boxes with chargers and BMSes built into them. That way we could pay somebody (presumably knowledgable) to ensure that the charge algorithms were correct, that the battery was always meeting its minimum specs, and that it was properly fixed if/when it wasn't.

Yes, they are expensive. And I hope this pack lasts longer. Even so, 6k miles is not the end of the world; I've read about people flattening US battery floodeds in 8k. And it's an AGM pack, so it makes for a fast little car. I'd just like to understand *why* the pack blows up ultimately.

That's a great idea! It sounds like it would save a lot of unsprung
(sprung?) weight. What is an add-on transfer case. I don't know a lot about
4x4 vehicles so talk to me Barney style ;-)