  1) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Peukerts for LI-Poly (was Re: Additional outside funding)
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Jeep EV Update DC/DC is DEAD
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Jeep EV Update (New Controller!)
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: PM w/ separate lead for each brush?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) BB600 Purchase
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Electric boat controls
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Electric boat controls
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells: SoCal & NorCal group buy?
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Etek, Dual ETek and ADC 6.7 Regen..Re: Comet CVT/Torque converters in
a lightweight ev?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Charging Terminology
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Just an IDEA, ya probably thouth of already. a PHEV survey
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Jeep EV Update DC/DC is DEAD
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells: SoCal & NorCal group buy?
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Jeep EV Update DC/DC is DEAD
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: BB600 Purchase
        by "Bill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Rewinding 3 phase AC motors
        by Mike Barber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
 20) UPDATE - RE: (Flooded) battery shipping advice sought
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Just an IDEA, ya probably thought of already. a PHEV survey
        by Felix Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
 23) washingtonpost: Fans of GM Electric Car Fight the Crusher
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Rod Hower wrote:

>I think it's time to
> check out parallel strings for a lower voltage.  I
> could do 4 parallel strings at 205Vdc nominal, or
> 230Vdc.

In case you haven't seen this:

10.   Can I connect batteries in parallel to increase the total output
current capability?

    While this works and used quite frequently, it is not a good idea
at least for two reasons:

     1. No two (or more) batteries are created equal. As soon as you
connect two in parallel, the better one with higher voltage will
briefly "charge" the weaker one to some voltage in the middle,
maintaining it there and thus discharging itself. The better battery
will work harder under load while weaker one will have to work less in
the beginning of discharge cycle. The current supplied by each under
load is NOT the same and depends on internal resistance and state of
charge of individual batteries.

     2. Since the voltage is the same on all connected in parallel
batteries, there is no equalizing possible during the end of charge
cycle, so the weak battery will be constantly overcharged and the
strong one (requiring more voltage) - undercharged. Situation will get
worse with each charge-discharge cycle causing premature degradation
of stronger batteries first. Weak batteries will start loading
remaining ones and eventually whole pack exhibit loss of capacity and
premature failure. Expect to have the lifetime of the pack of yellow
top Optimas 1.5 to 2 times shorter than without connecting batteries
in parallel, unless you provide means of monitoring EACH battery
condition separately and act as soon as imbalance is detected.
Remember, batteries don't die - they're being murdered. Need more
total power - go with higher voltage (so the current can stay within
manageable limits). Need more range - use 6 volt flooded. Need both,
go with advanced chemistry battery, but of course power and range
advantages come at premium cost.

    3. For AC solution the current is not a problem - it is easy to
find a battery capable providing 280A peak current. Therefore there is
no need to parallel the batteries. If there is room, connect in series
as many as will fit and suspension will handle (without severely
compromising handling). If all the batteries you want for given
voltage don't fit, use smaller ones but keep the voltage the same
rather than fewer batteries.

http://www.metricmind.com/qa.htm

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Jukka Jïvinen wrote:
> Heating the cell will level out the "loss" in the low SOC.
> Getting better performance and less V sag. But the whole
> issue seems to haul around on the cut off voltage.

right, I've observed this, more heat = less sag, more Ah till 3.0v.
( or is it more accurately, less resistance? )

Less heat, beginning arround 60F, more so below 40F we loose power,
or should I say resistance rises?  an example from my data:
"Discharge-71:[EMAIL PROTECTED] & 35:[EMAIL PROTECTED] & 730:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
for total Discharge of...
"Discharge-837:85 3.11v Charge+834:152 27 f  Cycle 99
So at 27F the normal 700-800mAh 2A discharge droped to 71mAh in 2
minutes, a secnd try at 2A gave 35 mAh more in 1 minute.  Then by
cutting back the discharge to 0.5A I see the remaining 730mAh, but
it takes 85 minutes, for a total of 837mAh out.

> Going repeatedly under 2 V will eventually show up as reduced
> cell performance. With lithium ,as mentioned many times, voltage
> is NOT a indication of SOC. You need much more to even to use it
> as reference. Temp, lifetime, original Rint, load, etc.

I haven't purposfully ran those tests, but that would seem to fit
my observations, and the specs of the chemestry.  Most list a min
voltage greater than 2.0v but less than 3.0v.  NEC sais 3.0v, TS
tests say 2.5v ( and 2.0v under abuse ). 3v is a nice safe point
probably about 80-90% DOD.

Also cycle #60: ( which is an odd looking spike in capacity )
"Discharge-749:22 3.20v @[EMAIL PROTECTED] for total discharge of...
"Discharge-933:43 3.40v Charge+920:121 62 f  Cycle 60
Was a 2A discharge followed by a 0.5A discharge at 62F, 933mAh.
This is pretty close to the new 0.1A capacity of 940mAh, see...
"0.1C 940mAh (89.5%)    1.26A ( low rate test, 89.5% of nameplate )
"1.0C 836mAh (86%)      12.6A ( this is ~the scooters cruse rate  )
"2.0C 749mAh (71%)      25.2A ( this is TestCell#1's testing rate )
"2.5C 659mAh (63%)      31.5A ( scooter actually peaks higher @4C )

With short 4C bursts I feel within the cells capabilities, since
the voltage remains above 3.0vpc durring accelleration untill
the last mile or so of range.  Even then It doesn't fall much
below 2.5vpc, though I "tred lightly" as I reach this low SOC.
I've never seen 2vpc on the scooter pack, and I never intend to.

> Emil Naepflein kirjoitti:
> > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:50:16 -0800, Lightning Ryan wrote:
> >>a high rate discharge you can't lower the rate and get the other
> >>half of it's capacity out because it's lost due to Puckerts.
> >
> > No, the energy is not lost. Please read through the following:
> > http://www.ee.ncue.edu.tw/note/data/o/21/91.pdf
> >
> > A similar effect probably happens to Lithium cells.

Gonna go check out that Puckert pdf now...
...err, I hate algebra, I should probably just keep myself out of
these discussions when they start getting to technical for me.

L8r
 Ryan

Oh $hit!

I was charging my 12 volt battery with my brainless "car battery" charger as I now have no DC/DC. Well, I forgot that I left the charger on the 10 amp setting. It had been on for like 2.5 hours and the voltage had gone up to 17.3 volts when I caught it and the battery was hot! I immediately disconnected the charger (after muttering some obscenities to the stupid charger). It was a good thing the battery was really low when I started charging or It probably would've gotten to an even higher voltage. Did I just ruin my sealed Hawker Odyssey battery or did I only hurt it badly? :-(

--
-Nick
http://Go.DriveEV.com/

Nick Viera wrote:

>I went for a drive tonight and
> the DC/DC blew the external 10 amp fuse a few minutes into the drive.

> Any ideas?

On page 3 in the instructions for the DCP DC/DC, it mentions using a
10a fuse rated at 250VDC for 156v and under battery packs and a 10a
fuse rated at 400VDC for 192 - 336v packs.

What are your 10a fuses rated at?

Myles Twete wrote:
> Since the brushes are currently wired in bunches of 4 to the 2 motor
> terminals: With 8 leads, and assuming 4 separate, parallel torque
> generation coils in the PM field of an ETEK, splitting these into
> separately excitable windings, the way I see it you could excite
> this in the following ways:
>
> Config Vmax  Imax    Wmax     Kb^-1
> 1S4P   48v  135amp   3600RPM  72RPM/V
> 2S2P   96    67.5    7200     36
> 4S1P  192    33.8   10800     18

Correct in principle, except that the Etek coils aren't wired this way.
In effect, it is all one single loooong loop of wire; not independent
coils.
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison

For those of you that can't get through, or those that are interested and
haven't paid yet....

I have set up a quick and dirty ebay listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3880658968

search BB600 if the link doesn't work.

You can use this to reserve and pay for the number of cells you desire.
After all of the orders are in, then we will figure out the best way to
ship them.
 There are quite a few people that have expressed interest and are only
about 100 miles from each other, and obviously can save quite a bit on
shipping costs by combining pallets. Each person will have the final say
in how their order is to be shipped, but I will be able to suggest
"partners".

For those that planned to pay via my e-mail instructions, it will save me
a few cents by not using ebay, but ebay will provide a nice "database"
feature for me too, so I guess it's a wash. Use what you're comfortable
with.

I hope I've been able to reply to everyones questions. If not, hit me
again please.

--

Stay Charged!
Hump

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Myles Twete wrote:
Roy, are you familiar with the Electric Boats YAHOO Group?
Its a great resource for electric boat converters/enthusiasts---and I just
became the moderator.

Yes Myles, you do a great job helping the folks on that list. :^D Thank you for your input.

Yesterday at work, I had non-stop inquiries on boat drives all day long, sold a few complete drive systems.

We are kicking around some designs and thinking of making something in-house that will work.

Thanks again!

>         Hi Roy and All,
> --- Roy LeMeur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Additionally on this subject...
> >
> > I usually tell folks to use an existing dual-cable
> > control hooked up to two
> > Curtis PB-6s.

.

Roy LeMeur [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.cloudelectric.com http://www.dcelectricsupply.com

Cloud Electric Vehicles
19428 66th Ave So, Q-101
Kent, Washington  98032

phone:  425-251-6380
fax:  425-251-6381
Toll Free:  800-648-7716

My Electric Vehicle Pages: http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

EV Parts/Gone Postal Photo Galleries:
http://www.casadelgato.com/RoyLemeur/page01.htm

Yes with wheel stands t match;)
Mike G.

Rod Hower wrote:

I just measured the NiCd's in my golf cart, they are
STM-180, 7.5"x10 1/8"x9 1/4", so I could fit 684 cells
in the same area as 6 of my Saft STM-180 batteries, 19
bb-600's per 1 SAFT STM-180.
Looking at the weight 3.2 lbs*19 is 60.8 lbs or 365
lbs of batteries (I have about 300lbs with 6 SAFT's at
36V currently).  So thats 820 Volts in series with
34Ahr capacity. Using 1200V IGBT's I could do an AC
induction or BLDC drive to run this cart.  820 Volts
nominal or 920V charged, that's scary!!!. Full charge
voltage would be 1160Vdc!!!.  I think it's time to
check out parallel strings for a lower voltage.  I
could do 4 parallel strings at 205Vdc nominal, or
230Vdc.  This sounds more resonable.  Or possibly 16
parallel strings at 57.5Vdc.  That's alot of watering
and interconnects!
It should give pretty good range on the golf cart
though!
--- Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

The dimensions I have are 3 1/16" by 1 1/8" on top,
and 9 1/4" tall.  I
don't have one to measure but I believe this is to
the top of the cap.

 --chris

Rod Hower said:

What are the physical dimensions of these

batteries?

I searched but couldn't find anything.
Thank's
Rod
--- Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

ORIG SPECS-
http://www.drms.dla.mil/catalog/pdf/33-5004.pdf ,
look for item 20

20. Battery, Storage:
SAFT AMERICA INC.
P/N 017371-000
Nickel Cadmium aircraft battery.
MSDS: CFCTF, SC0400 4266UAA4.
NSN 6140-00-881-6887
DEMIL CODE A
CONTACT: GWEN CHERRY PHONE: 804-279-6206
Inside - H050110A0
Boxes on 6 banded wooden pallets.
Unused - Containers in good condition
Total Cost - $249664.00
Est Total Wt - 32096 lbs.
DOT HAZ CLASS: 8
236 PACKAGE

as per Tim Humphrey, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
They are 1.2 volts and 34ah per cell.
The cells used are 9 13/32 inches high, 3 9/64
inches  wide,  and  1
25/64  inches  deep.    Each  cell weighs
approximately 3 1/2 pounds

So I worked up a 300 cell pallet size using the
follow numbers per cell - 9.5h x 3.25w x 1.75d
300 x 3.5 lbs = 1050 lbs + 25lb for pallet =

1075lbs

300 cells = 12 rows x 25 cells
= 39" x 43.75" x 9.5 " high, which
leaves room for wooden sides on a 48 square

pallet.

rate as per freightquote.com is $514.67 by
Carrier Name:  OLD DOMINION FREIGHT LINE
Terminal City:  SYRACUSE, NY
Terminal Phone:  315.463.0029

This would be to 85736 with no lift gate

required, I

then added the lift gate (residence del) and got
$680.

I've written Tim to ask how he plans to reship

them.

From the orig specs it seems that they come in
containers. Are they the same alum containers

that

Philippe showed us

http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/images/Aprilia%20Eproject%20001.jpg

? If so then it makes sense to get them in groups

of

20 like in the photo, which would ease his

repacking

process.

I want 300 cells, so anybody in my area that

wants

some, let me know and we can get them shipped
together. Or if feasable I can join the SoCal

group

and pick them up there, or even pick up mine and
somebody elses shipment. Let me know on or off

list.

Rush
Tucson AZ

Release

Date: 3/8/2005

Thank you for the link, but there was little to no info on that company website.
I have found that (generally, but not always) a real company usually has actual info and prices on the website.

Even the links to the PDFs did not work.
(kewl pictures though :-)

We are working on something in-house, thank you for you input.

pekka wrote:
Roy,

maybe this is what you need: http://www.kraeutler.at/zubehoer_e.htm

I hve no idea about the prices but have been thinking about getting one of those for my own boat.

.

Roy LeMeur [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.cloudelectric.com http://www.dcelectricsupply.com

Cloud Electric Vehicles
19428 66th Ave So, Q-101
Kent, Washington  98032

phone:  425-251-6380
fax:  425-251-6381
Toll Free:  800-648-7716

My Electric Vehicle Pages: http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

EV Parts/Gone Postal Photo Galleries:
http://www.casadelgato.com/RoyLemeur/page01.htm

hi all batt buyers
I am in so so cal (SanDiego) and will contribute up to
$500 for batts and shipping.  I will come to LA area
to pick up my share but am limited to weekends. There
must be some point of diminishing returns on these
combined shipments but if someone puts together a
large shipment and gets a good rate I am interested.
Rev gadget has said that he is buying 400 but i don't
know what shipping arrangements he has made.

Mark Hastings wrote:
> Sounds like a comet isn't the way to go. My 3 wheeler...
> about 600 lbs loaded with driver and batteries... I want to
> drive the rear wheel with a belt... My concern with a single
> ETek is I won't have enough power from start or my top end
> speed will be too low and then of course the ETek overheating.

You may be right. The Etek is efficient, but not a good high-current
(i.e high-torque) motor. With a fixed gear ratio, I don't know if you
could get enough torque at low speeds without resorting to such a low
ratio that you would overspeed the motor at high speeds. Even two Eteks
may not be able to accellerate fast enough or climb steep enough hills
for you if you gear it for a really high top speed.

So, something like a variable speed transmission may be your best best,
whether a gearbox with fixed gears or a variable-speed transmission of
some kind.

Or... perhaps you could use one Etek and one series motor. Use the
series motor for its high-torque low-speed performance, and the Etek for
efficient high-speed cruising.
--

Bill Dennis wrote:
> What does the following stand for when referring to a battery charging
> algorithm? I1, I2, U, I3a

They come from the European standard method of defining battery charging
algorithms. "I" means constant-current. "U" means constant-voltage. An
IUI charger therefore starts at constant-current, then switches to
constant-voltage, and ends at constant-current. To discriminate between
them when there are multiple I-stages, they number them (I1, I2, etc.).
So, you could say a charger has an IUI charging algorithm, where I1=10
amps (the first I), U1=14.4 volts (the one and only voltage step), and
I2=2 amps (the final I).
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Dear Cal Cars:

Been talking up your PHEV cause as much as we can from Seattle here. Was very pleased with the article on PHEV's in Newsweek last week.

I have had this IDEA for some time.  ( What do you think ??)

How much money do you think it would take to obtain a mailing list of as many hybrid owners, (Toyota and Honda) as possible, and then to send them the following simple questionnaire, where-by you could FEED Toyota the results. ( which I am SURE would be in favor of PHEV option)

Dear Hybrid owner:

If at the time of your purchase, if there had been the OPTION of having a Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle as described below, would you have opted for it if it had been.....
a. Standard
b. a $1000. Factory option
c. a $2000. Factory option
d. a 3000. factory option
e. Regardless of how much extra the option was.

A Plug In Hybrid (PHEV ) is one where by Electric Only Drive is enhanced, allowing one to drive faster and farther on Electric Only, up to 25 to 40 mph and/or 30 miles. AND more importantly, allow the Owner/Operator to either just buy more gas, OR CHARGE up the extra batteries at home, or at night, thereby increasing the "Miles Per Gallon" to 70 to 100 mpg. And electricity being much cheaper and more efficient than gas, lowering ones overall operating expenses significantly. Not to mention further lowering all emissions as well !

And of course your web site, for further information could be all over the questionnaire. The KEY would be how to get the mailing list from DMV or how ever mailing lists are created.

What do you think ?? Wouldn't it be GREAT to show Toyota that 75% or 80% of their customer base WOULD HAVE opted for PHEV if it were available ??

--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

Nick Viera wrote:
> Once again, I'm not blaming the Zilla, Otmar... but it is rather
> strange that I NEVER had any problems with the DC/DC blowing its
> input fuse PRIOR to installing the Zilla. Maybe just a bad
> coincidence? or?

Well, let's think about it.

The DC/DC input probably has an input fuse, and a big filter capacitor
inside. If the pack voltage changes very rapidly, there will be a large
surge current as the capacitors charge or discharge. This surge current
can blow the fuse.

How might one get such a surge current. One possibility is with a very
high current motor controller. The controller also has a big capacitor
bank, to handle the huge pulsed currents produced as the controller
switches on/of/on/off at high frequency to control motor speed. If your
circuit winds up being nothing but a fuse and some wire between the
DC/DC and controller, then the DC/DC's input capacitors also see these
huge pulsed currents. This could blow the fuse.

Another possibility: The battery-to-controller wiring is fairly long,
and has lots of inductance. If the motor is running at high current and
something abruptly shuts it off (controller shuts off with no rampdown
or a contactor opens, etc.), the battery lead inductance is "charged" to
a high current that suddenly has no place to go. The voltage will kick
up tens or even hundreds of volts, and could blow the DC/DC's fuse or
even kill its transistors.
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

I haven't made any shipping arrangements yet. but let
me know how many are coming to LA and can get quote.
I'm hoping that we can get the shipping below 1 buck a
cell. weekend pick up is no problem as I live in my
warehouse. I can even store them for a little while if
that helps anyone.

                        Gadget

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

Nick Viera wrote:
> Yes, but that only tells me what NOMINAL voltages they can accept. My
> voltage range might be too high for 120 volts Nominal, but too low for
> 240 volts nominal???

Correct. What you should look for is a "universal input, power factor
corrected" switching power supply. This type of supply does not use a
voltage doubler, and can accept any voltge throughout its input range
(typically 90-265 volts AC, which is equivalent to 126-370 volts DC).
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Tim
I just noticed this thread.  Am I correct in thinking that we can get
them at $1 each?  Do we know when they were made?  Do we know if they
are good?
Does this include shipping to socaq?  I am in Ojai.  Is there anyone
anywhere near me that wants some.
I would need 480 for my van.

Thanks Bill
[...]

I am thinking about getting a 3 phase motor rewound to put into an electric
vehicle.  It has a rated continuous hp of 27.  How much peak hp would it be
possible to squeeze out of this thing if it is going to be rewound?

I did some back-of-the-napkin calculations and here is what I came up with:

38 exide orbital batteries gives a nominal batt voltage of 456V.

Orbitals can put out 1000A at 10.1V (Thanks to Rich for this info I think)
which equals 383kW.  This translates to a peak achievable hp of 513 at the
motor shaft.  Assuming 85% efficiency, this reduces to 436 hp.

In order to get the motor to take 1000A, I did some specific heat calcs for
copper and it looked like 6 gauge wire would be needed if I was going to
sustain this current for 10 seconds and stay below the max insulation
temperature.

I had a couple questions for the group.

1) Is it feasible to wind a motor with 6 gauge wire?

2) Would I be encroaching on saturating the stator or rotor with these types of
power levels?

3) Would I be able to get a rotor which would take this current, or does it get
rewound during the rewind process as well?

I've never rewound or had a shop rewind a motor.  I was planning on having a
shop rewind this one; I will give them a call and ask them some questions at
some point, but I thought I would see what you guys thought first.

--- Begin Message --- As far as I know you can't ship them. The ones I have were trucked by the buyer. LR.......
Where are they and where are they going? I might be able to help.