  1) 24 volt charger
        by "Jody Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Hybrid efficiency, was: Increasing Range
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: GM analysis of Prius, was: Hybrid efficiency
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Craigslist: 192 VOLT ELECTRIC: FORD ESCORT conversion - $500 (san
         anselmo)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Hybrid efficiency, was: Increasing Range
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Where to buy KiloVac Contactors?
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Freedom EV body and : For Your Viewing Pleasure..........BBB an' Stuff
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Emoo
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Possible conversion candidates.  Arcane. One with CVT.
 10) Re: For Your Viewing Pleasure..........BBB an' Stuff
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Possible conversion candidates.  Arcane. One with CVT.Comments!
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Hybrid Efficiency vs Barbeque Sauce
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Regen settings, was Re: E-Volks Geo Metro Conversion
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Where to buy KiloVac Contactors?
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) OFF TOPIC! (was Re: Hybrid efficiency, was: Increasing Range)
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: how to ask to charge at work - why do you think you ruined your bats?
        by Lance Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: GM analysis of Prius, was: Hybrid efficiency
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Hybrid Efficiency vs Barbeque Sauce
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Electric 'Power Breakfast' this Sunday at the Village Inn, Portland
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE:Current Eliminator Dragster News
I recently had a black and decker battery pack for my 18V drill reloaded
with NimH batteries instead of NiCad batteries.  My charger won't work with
it now.  I know I can use the NiCad power source to charge the NimH pack but
eventually it will kill the pack.  I am learning how to use Stamps and I was
thinking it would make a nice charge controller.  Has anyone made one using
a stamp before?  Also, does anyone know where I can get a 24V 2 amp power
supply?

Jody

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 06:52:58PM -0800, Jeff Shanab wrote:
> I would not stay in a locked garage with a car that reads zero
> emmisions, it is still using up the oxygen and emmiting CO2, we just
> don't track those as emmisions.

Better make sure you check the emissions from your real world car before you
begin your test. As the link I posted earlier shows, more then half the
pollution generated by ICEs is caused by the degradation of emissions control
systems.

>  One step furthur, replace those fuel
> engines with 20 people, You will suffocate as fast.

<..snip..>

> I guess we can't compare a battery, which is storage of energy NOT
> storage of fuel. You would have to bring the power plant inside your
> garage.

Why didn't you bring the refinery, diesel powered super tanker, and dozens
of simi-trucks in for the ICE test? ;)

> This made me think of the whole phrase "Hydrogen Fuel Cell electric
> vehicle."  Hydrogen is considerd an energy carrier because we transfer
> energy with it by putting energy into creating it at the other end, but
> we use it as a fuel, which increases the worlds CO2 output, the canery
> in the garage still dies.

The output from a hydrogen fed fuel cell is heat, electricity, and water.
There are no CO2 emissions from the cell. All CO2 generated by a fuel cell
is upstream. Although the canary may still die from asphyxiation, as a
fuel cell will still consume the O2 in the air.

Doug,

I have no doubt that American engineers can be as qualified as
their Japanese collegues, but that does not mean that you will
get the whole story from the "chop shop".

Every major manufacturer, does not matter if it's cars or other
product, has some engineers take the latest competitor product
apart to learn what they did and how to position themselves
against the competition.
Even if the chop shop found out exactly how GM could be profitable
with Hybrid technology, even then its up to the GM management to
decide if they go Hybrid or Hydrogen.
If they see more money or less risk (due to their years of lag
with Hybrids) when going the Hydrogen route, even if everyone
can make the balance on a napkin that it is not energy efficient
and will not be anything substantial for years to come, still the
management can have their own reasons to give direction to go the
other route.

In such a case you won't hear from GM's chop shop that the Hybrid
makes sense and GM should better reconsider.
When minds are made up, truth is out the window.

OK, one last point to consider:
The GM chop shop was pointing out in great detail how many moving
parts there apparently were in the Prius drivetrain.
Did you also hear them mention that going Hybrid deletes so many
moving parts that so often wear out and cause costly repairs,
such as alternator, starter motor, gearbox, clutch....?

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

Date: 2006-02-01, 9:23PM PST

ZERO EMISSIONS ELECTRIC VEHICLE

1986 Ford Escort Wagon
Converted a dozen or so years ago by a hobbyist.
1FABP3495GW207303
It is presently registered with DMV in NON-OP
That means that it is approved by the DMV.
The title is clear
Needs a motor controller and batteries.
A great project car for school or hobbyist.
General Electric SERIES TRACTION MOTOR
Model: 5BT1346B50
Horsepower: 20.9 @ 4700 RPM - 90 Volts - 184 Amps
The motor is worth $500!
Call: 415-785-3317

I tend to agree with Chris.

Case in point. At the Labor Day Parade our EV club was in we had 14 cars in the parade. 10 Priuses, 2 Rav-4s, one S-10, my electric Ford Escort, an electric Vego scooter and an electric bike.

The parade was going realllll slowww so all the hybrids were running in electric mode and of course the EVs were all electric. And we did lots of stops and of course the Priuses engines were off when they stopped. So essentially all 14 cars were running the whole parade route in electric mode. No emissions during that 1.5 mile stretch.

Compare that to the other car clubs that were there particularly the Street Rods, antiques and all the Fire Departments with their diesel engines belching out particulates.

If you were to wave one of those emission sensor things the emission test stations have behind our group of 16 vehicles you would had zilch for a reading. But if you waved that emissions sensor behind the Street Rod Club or the caravan of antique cars then you get my drift.

Our group had to have prevented several grams of emissions being belched out with our hybrids and EVs. And the parade spectators had the benefit of standing by the sidelines without having to inhale a single emissions from our 16 vehicles as we passed by. Plus our cars had several people in them. We moved about 40 people that 1.5 mile stretch without polluting the air.

So hybrids have to have some benefits particularly when at a stop when they don't sit there wasting gas and idling and driving the streets at 30 mph when most are in electric mode.

So I agree with Chris. There are benefits.

Until I see the light, my argument stands. Hybrid vehicles produce "less
emissions" than ICE cars of similar performance, because their electric
motors allow them to run more efficiently so they use less fuel.

  --chris

Anyone seen or used these KiloVac LEV200 series contactors?
http://www.tycoelectronics.com/prodimages/pdf/LEV200_ds_9-1773439-1.pdf

"Suited for power switching applications, KILOVAC LEV200 is offered in
upright or side-mount attachment styles with hermetically sealed
construction. Intrinsically safe product, able to be used in explosive and
harsh environments, is rated to continuously carry 500 A @ 320 Vdc when
using 400 mcm conductors at 65°C. It employs one Form X (SPST-NO-DM) main
contact and can interrupt up to 2,000 A @ 320 Vdc. Contact voltage rating is
12-900 Vdc. The KILOVAC LEV200 contactor is priced at $42.05 at the 100
piece quantity level. Lead times are typically two to four weeks."

I can't find anyone who deals these in small quantity   :-(
I wonder what the 1 each price would be.

            Hi Roger, Dave, Shawn,Shawn, Bob and All,

From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>