  1) Re: Aircraft Gen. Motor WAS Re: E-Volks Geo Metro Conversion
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Killacycle nearly in the top 10
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) roadside EV repair/look out for this
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Killacycle nearly in the top 10
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Battery Manu. looking for applications: was Re: Will Li be a reality
in 2006?
        by Mike Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Killacycle nearly in the top 10
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Battery Manu. looking for applications: was Re: Will Li be a reality
in 2006?
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Killacycle nearly in the top 10
        by Mike Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Battery Manu. looking for applications: was Re: Will Li be a reality
in 2006?
        by Mike Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Battery Manu. looking for applications: was Re: Will Li be a reality
in 2006?
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Battery Manu. looking for applications: was Re: Will Li be a reality
in 2006?
        by Shawn Rutledge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Battery Manu. looking for applications: was Re: Will Li be a reality
in 2006?
        by Mike Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Battery Manu. looking for applications: was Re: Will Li be a
        reality in 2006?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Killacycle nearly in the top 10
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Marathon series by GNB division of Exide?
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Riding the White Zombie and other EVents (long)
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Killacycle nearly in the top 10
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
At 11:08 AM 2/8/2006, you wrote:
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 13:34:52 -0800, Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Maybe. The old switch controllers were a slate panel, with brass bolts
>for contacts. Each bolt had a silver dime-size piece of metal brazed to
>it. These contacts were bridged by a sliding contact that rotated over
>them with a big arm. Pretty crude, simple, and robust!
>
>I would avoid using fiberglass, as it burns!

I've been thinking about contact controllers.  For a zillion years,
drum-type contact controllers were used to control multi-hundred HP
motors in industry.  It seems to me like a small contact controller
hooked to the accelerator pedal would fit nicely in an EV.

Rather then a drum, I was thinking two plates. One plate with two contacts for each battery, the second plate with four sets of contacts each of which would when alined with the contacts on the other plate connect the batteries in different series parallel combinations. These plates would be located right on the battery box to minimize the length of wire between the batteries and the controller. The flat fiberglass plate is inexpensive and machining would be easier then a drum form.

The plate would be moved by a linkage to the throttle lever which on this tractor is a vertical lever about 10" tall you push forward to go faster. Thinking about adding a two stage button on the lever, first stage drops out a contactor putting a series resistor in the circuit. The second stage would drop out a second contactor breaking the circuit. Some kind of interlock could be made so that the plates could not be shifted without the button being pushed.

I will also need a 24 or 36 volt battery to run the lights, hydraulic pump, the cooling blower for the motor, and the motor field. Motor field control may be on a separate lever or may be worked into the throttle control if I can find a way to do it smoothly.

For broadband users, here is a fascinating video that shows a closeup
of a drum controller at about 10:12 into the flic.  Unfortunately the
Quicktime server is down so the smallest file available is 100mb.
This is a fascinating film made immediately post-war to inform
returning GIs about opportunities in the electrical field.  Many
electrician trade schools sprung up to serve these GIs.  Several
scenes in this film are shot at trade schools.  The Coyne Electrical
Institute of Chicago was one of the best.  If you ever find a set of
encyclopedias from this school, grab 'em.  A wealth of knowledge and
very interesting photos.

I don't know if drum controllers are even made anymore but one would
be simple to make for anyone with a lathe or access to one.  The old
ones used pressed asbestos for the dielectric parts.  Unfortunately
not available anymore but the red electrical fiberglass material will
work just as well.

Here is what I had in mind.
http://www.mcmaster.com/  Part number 8549K56.

A drum controller could potentially provide very smooth control with
little complication and almost nothing to go wrong.  One of you types
who is chomping at the bits to make and sell something to the
community ought to jump on this and run with it.  A whole drum
controller could probably be built and sold for the cost of only a
couple of high capacity contactors.

<< snip info on some cool videos >>

John
http://www.open-video.org/details.php?videoid=3754 10:12

---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson

__________
Andre' B. Clear Lake, Wi.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The key point was, the present version of the Current Eliminator, as it exists at this very moment, couldn't run 8.8. Changes have been made since that day in Sacramento. It is still 100% OK to say that the Current Eliminator holds the World Record, however.

I have no doubt in my mind that with a few additional changes, the Current Eliminator will see the 7's.

Changes and modifications are what racing is all about. All the top vehicles in racing are prototypes under development. Not static display historical museum pieces.

At 06:05 AM 2/9/2006, you wrote:
In a message dated 2/8/06 11:10:09 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<         What about the Current Eliminator? Dennis has changed the body,
 frame, motor, etc. probably more than once. From my perspective (as a
 fellow racer) it always has been, and always will be the Current
 Eliminator. It is his dragster, so it is what he chooses to call it. The
 sign on his trailer says that the vehicle inside is the quickest EV in the
 world. I agree with him 100%. He has made many improvements. That is OK. It
 is what racers are supposed to do >>
*****  The Current Eliminator has the original CAGE to this date as it had in
1992,but has been back and front halfed 3 times.Each time the frame was
changed the CE became CE 2 CE 3, 4-And where it is today CE5.There is no longer a sign on the side of my trailer.It was as CE5 that she ran 8s MANY times.It will
still be the CE5 when it WILL run 7s this year.                     Dennis
Berube happy to be the outlaw

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Two important lessons I learned at BBB , and will share in hopes that others won't do what I did. With the last minite repairs I ended up bringing along a pile of plugs so I could set up the charger in one truck to charge the other and figured I'd wire up stuff there. After all the events wore over I'm hooking up the PFC 50 to take power from the race truck and pump it into the work truck for the 55 mile tow home. I check the polarity , check it again. Then something makes me check it a third time , that little voice in the back . Some gut feeling , as 2 times is my usual . As soon as I plugged it in their was a bad sound and no light for the PFC >;( . Some how the polarity was wrong , and I checked it 3 times. A few days later when I'm empting the bucket of stuff I find the meter and the black com plug is in the red Volt hole, Red wire in common. Lucky for me all that happened to the charger was a blown fuse, but now checking to see that the test leads are in the right holes is first. The other was some fine metal filings that the Albright sw200 magnatic blow outs had picked up when I was doing all the cutting . When I was setting up the race truck and testing it out with a low 12v SLI battery the contactor opened under somewhat of a load and I believe the arc sucked up these metal filings that where on the magnets and put the "slag" on the points of the contactor. The contactor still worked but with the welding slag on the contacts they didn't close right and under heavy load the hair ball was seeing a Hi contactor resistance and gave an error. I didn't find this till the day before BBB. Steve Clunn
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The concept that is beyond your intellectual ability to grasp is that the time slip goes with the particular vehicle that it was handed to at the end of the run on the day it made the run. What part of this do you not understand? All of your attempts at misdirection will not change the truth. That time slip does not go with that bike. Plain and simple fact. To say otherwise is a blatant lie.

Roderick Wilde

----- Original Message ----- From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>