  1) RE: Series Chargers
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Honda Civic Coefficient of Drag
        by Don Buckshot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Big Bad Dumb Charger
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: OT: major breakthrough in photovoltaics claimed
  5) RE: Dragtimes Vote
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Useful Motor tech?  Or Yet Another Fraud?
        by Joel Hacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Useful Motor tech?  Or Yet Another Fraud?
  8) Re: Go-Kart charging
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) re: I think I am going to need a lot of lead ...
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Full size pickup
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: ppt gen
        by jerry halstead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Small Bad Dumb Charger (was: RE: Big ...)
        by "Christopher Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: OT: major breakthrough in photovoltaics claimed
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: OT: major breakthrough in photovoltaics claimed
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Big Bad Dumb Charger
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: OT: major breakthrough in photovoltaics claimed
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) White Zombie to Elude the Police this Saturday!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: White Zombie to Elude the Police this Saturday!
        by "Matthew D. Graham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: White Zombie to Elude the Police this Saturday!
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Battery powered Trains, and hybrids
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Wayland's Hawker AeroBattery Info
Series-charging *can* be done, but it may be better
to hook up each charger to 1/2 of your string, though
it will be a challenge to make sure they are both set
to the same charge profile, or your string won't be
balanced any more....

Since I do not yet have a working onboard charger, I
use a stack of 5x 48V 15A supplies (each trimmed to 51V)
plus two 60V lab supplies that can be adjusted to a
max voltage and a max current.
First thing I do before hooking them up is to trim one
60V supply down from its max 64V to 38V (-26V) to change
the max voltage for the string from 14.8V to 13.8V
and allow the other lab supply set to 10A to use its
full 64V output range for current limiting, without
hitting the 0V (reversing this supply, effectively
killing the current limiting of this supply) when
the battery voltage is low upon connection to the
series of supplies.
Usually I start charging with my nominal 312V stack
of 26x 12V batteries at 330V or higher, but I have
drained them to 316V once.
The stack of supplies then pumps them with 10A
until they hit 359V and keep the voltage at that max
until the current has dropped way down.
I can then set the voltage back to max and adjust the
current to max 3A (under the C/30 rate, so the AGMs
won't gas out, they should be able to recombine this)
Maximum voltage they get is then 385V, then I assume
they are all up to their max voltage and after a
couple of minutes at this voltage, when the current
starts to taper off fast, I will disconnect the
power supplies first, then switch them off.

NOTE: make sure you fuse the connection between
the power supplies and pack.
Normal drive fuse is 250A so you can get about
100kW continuous without blowing it - that is an
amount of power to be scared about....
I use a 10A fast fuse.
You can use a PCF10 or PCS10 from Ferraz Shawmut
or something alike that is specified for DC and
at least 400V.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com