  1) RE: Angle Iron to Chassis
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: longest range?
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: sheilding for zilla wiring
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Remote control, was: EV mass market,
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Current Eliminator News/no hi power batts.this year
        by "Joseph H. Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: longest range?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Angle Iron to Chassis
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: longest range?
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Lithium Ion Polymer Batteries
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Some problems to solve
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Lithium Ion Polymer Batteries
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Some Lithium Polymer to experiment with (BMS)
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: regulation current was:Some problems to solve
        by "Chris Brune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Lithium Ion Polymer Batteries
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: regulation current was:Some problems to solve
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: sheilding for zilla wiring
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Switched Capacitor Equalization of Long Strings WAS: Some pro blems to
solve
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: longest range?
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Lithium Ion Polymer Batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: regulation current was:Some problems to solve
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Monster Garage electric dragster episode
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Lithium Ion Polymer Batteries
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Ok boy charger!
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Lithium Ion Polymer Batteries
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Questions that should get me going, I hope
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: sheilding for zilla wiring
        by Joel Hacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Bill Dennis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> While most EVers add a vacuum pump, I took a different tact.
> I removed the original vacuum booster and master cylinder,
> and replaced them with a non-vacuum-assisted master cylinder
> from a 1987 Honda Civic.

Bill, I'm very interested in any details you can provide about what was
involved in grafting the Honda master cylinder onto the Metro.  I've got
a GM vacuum pump on mine at the moment, but would prefer the simpler and
more elegant manual brake solution.

PS: nice clean battery installation! Is it just me, or are the threaded
posts on the Thundersky cells *really* long?  I suppose it is a personal
preference thing, but I like the look of button-head stainless Allen
bolts rather than long studs for that sort of thing...

Alan Smith wrote:
I have to say I'm immpressed with what people have gotten.

Now, how do you do it?

Very easy. Paid a lot of money.

David Brandt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> For my last EV, I took the GIF's of supplier's logos and had
> a printer print them in color on sticky backed vinyl.  Worked
> great, and added some needed accents to the car.  Not so much
> as to be ostentatious, but enough to make people ask questions.

I plan to do the same for mine, the EV equivalent of the Hooker header,
Accel/MSD ignition, Edelbrock manifold, etc. stickers you see in the
rear/quarter windows of our ICE counterparts.

Any chance you (or anyone else) have good quality logos in electronic
form for some of the popular components (e.g. Kilovac, Optima, DCP,
etc.) and/or the popular parts suppliers (eg. EVParts, Canadian Electric
Vehicles, etc.)?

This all (and more) is being implemented in my BMS system.
You can call (or point your browser to) your car and get
the state of things from it. The car will call you as well
to report state of events. More on this later.

Victor

Cor van de Water wrote:
How cool is that -
At your next party you pick up the remote, as someone for the time
and say "OK, time to fill up my car" and click the car's charger on.

15 years ago I worked for Philips Electronics, the 2-way remotes
for TV and VCR were pretty new in those days.
Today it is no problem to get feedback on a remote's display and
check (a car's) status from the couch if it is equipped with
this interface.

Sounds handy for the people in hot climate: while you finish your
drink on the terrace or as soon as you get in line for the register
in the supermarket you grab the car remote, click the A/C on and when you get in the car 5 minutes later it already is at a comfortable temperature.

The remote communication should not be limited to charging, but
also diagnostics, (past) trip info & energy use, and so on.
Battery status (low battery detect, balancing and other BMS info)
and component temperatures and (past) fault codes should be
accessible, so when hooking the remote to a PC, the car can be
diagnosed from a distance and a detailed report can be made.

Hey, Rich - I haven't heard that you run the quarter in 8+ seconds yet -
THAT is what makes Dennis special!!!

From: "Matthew D. Graham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tom Shay wrote:

> Most everything I read about these batteries is impressive except the
> cost and the available cell sizes.
>
> Is there any reasonable prospect that cost will come down to perhaps 1/10th
> of present sizes?

I find this amusing about the situation:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4658/kokam1hl.jpg

http://www.kokamamerica.com/kokam_catalog.pdf

Chris,

One reference point for the Optimas are the ACP cars. They hold the
highest voltage battery at 15.6-15.8v, while the others catch up. The
charger is throttled back at that moment.

Mike

Roger wrote:
> Any chance you (or anyone else) have good quality logos in electronic
> form for some of the popular components (e.g. Kilovac, Optima, DCP,
> etc.) and/or the popular parts suppliers (eg. EVParts, Canadian Electric
> Vehicles, etc.)?

Here's some from Optima:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/news/logos.html

Passive EQ works if you have matched batterys and 86 hours minimum to
EQ them for ;) In fact they never got them to EQ.

I know it's a great theory, but in practice I think they also showed
that it can get worse by making batterys lose water and die earlier.

So get something designed Mr Engineer :)

Good point about a reversed battery. I think that's where a monitoring
display would pay off.

Mike

> Nice to see that the paper about switched capacitor
> equalization confirms that passive equalization of
> sealed Lead Acid batteries does work, if you have
> enough time to (float) charge them and allow a
> low and controlled (recombined) gas production
> inside the cells.
> http://www.smartsparkenergy.com/pdf/batteq2.pdf
> To reduce charge time and speed up equalization
> they present the non-dissipative capacitor switcher,
> though from their data you can see that the dissipation
> is mainly a concern for UPS standby operations, the
> typical EV recharge regimen does result in pretty low
> losses as the charging is a fraction of the time and
> the equalization part of the charge even shorter.
>
> It is an interesting approach though, the principle of
> power shuttling between batteries, in this case it is
> shuttled not in a specific direction - always from the
> highest voltage battery to a lower voltage battery.
>
> Series-switching involves "overlapping" the switchers
> by 1 battery, so 2 switchers for 4 batteries can
> equalize 7 batteries.
>
> It seems that they are not protected against fault
> situations, such as a low capacitance cell that gets
> low and reverses during load - this will blow up the
> circuit or the adjacent cells will also be reversed.
> When one battery is bad and loses a cell then all
> other batteries will be equalized to the voltage of
> the bad battery, while the bad one will be hit with a
> severe overcharge.....
>
> These issues may be detected and should be avoided
> when this principle is applied in a product.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
> Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

You mean 60 miles every day without damage and still have around 45%
DOD remaining, right? Yourtruck could go 100+ miles at 45 mph on
110ah. In fact my truck uses .9ah/mile at 45mph. In theory that's 122
miles with 0% DOD remaining. Which is what I bet some of these stories
imply.

BTW I'll be installing the NiMH packs here soon for testing in the truck.

Mike

Ryan Stotts wrote:

I find this amusing about the situation:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4658/kokam1hl.jpg

What is so amusing about it? Raw material cost is
manufacturer's business. They charge you based on the benefits
and usefulness of the battery they think worth to you,
not based on their material cost. If you want their batteries
so bad that ready to pay $10/Ah (and it cost them 10c/Ah to
produce) why do they have to shy away from charging you $10
while batteries still fly off Kokam's shelves at that price?

It's a market demand. You can't come to them
and demand charge you less because their raw materials cost
next to nothing. What you can do is open another factory
next to them, and they will be forced to lower their prices.
Until then, pay $10/Ah and don't complain - they won't listen.

Hi Chris and all,

So if the battery is at 14.8V then the reg can bypass 0.4A
continuously.
That doesn't necessarily mean the charger has to throttle back to .4A. Shunting some of the current through the regulator instead of the battery can keep that battery at bay until the others catch up. It does eventually hit a point where the battery is simply full, and it would have to shunt more current to keep the battery (AGM) from exceeding a safe voltage level. If the others haven't caught up yet, then that's the time to signal the charger for it to cut back.

-Ryan
--
- EV Source <http://www.evsource.com> -
Selling names like Zilla, PFC Chargers, and WarP Motors

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- For those out there who want a copy of this program, please email me as I have some data on this that I have been asked not to post publicly.

Hope this helps!

-Ken Trough
V is for Voltage
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM/YM - ktrough
FAX/voice message - 206-339-VOLT (8658)

Tom, you also need to consider that LiIon needs some sort of BMS that limits
the amount of charge and discharge.

There are a few manufacturers who make EV sized LiIon:  Kokam (LiPoly),
Thundersky (LiIon), ABC Batteries, Valance, etc (see the archives for
others).  Larger cells **are** being used in Evs, (once again, check the
archives for ProEV, MetricMind, John Lussemayer, SolarVan), however, you are
correct - they are expensive.

Don

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

Most everything I read about these batteries is impressive except the cost
ant the available cell sizes.

Is there any reasonable prospect that cost will come down to perhaps 1/10th
of present sizes?

Are there presently any cells large enough for an EV battery pack without
using thousands of cells?  Are large cells likely to be available in the
future?

I don't think these batteries have any real future in EVs unless costs come
way down and larger cells become available.

If your batteries are rated for 80 to 200 ampere hours, then 4 amps of
finish current is about right for flooded batteries.

Final current should be 2 to 5% of the 20 hour AH rating of the batteries.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder