  1) Re: 6 hp. Motor  Needed
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Switched Capacitor Equalization of Long Strings WAS: Some problems
 to solve
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: VW Beetle
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Switched Capacitor Equalization of Long Strings WAS: Some problemsto
 solve
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: longest range?
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Have been collecting range data, how about acceleration data
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Some problems to solve
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Some problems to solve
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Magnetic Pickups
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Some problems to solve
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 6 hp. Motor  Needed
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: longest range?
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Have been collecting range data, how about acceleration data
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) OT: Motors and 14-50 plugs
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Switched Capacitor Equalization of Long Strings WAS: Some pro
        blemsto  solve
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Motors and 14-50 plugs
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Some problems to solve
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Battery comparison- Thanks for the answers.
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: longest range?
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: longest range?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: longest range?
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Have been collecting range data, how about acceleration data
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Battery comparison- Thanks for the answers.
jmygann wrote:

> Can anyone here recommend an electric DC motor (not wheel motor),
> that is about 6HP continuous, _very_ affordable, not too large, and
> well suited for regenerative braking (such as the discontinued Etek)?
>
> It's for my car project in
> http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SmallEfficientVehicles

That's a nice-looking picture! I hope the prototype looks this good.

The cheapest way I can think of to get 6 HP continuous is a pair of golf
cart motors. If  you use the newer separately excited ones, you'll have
easy regen.

Brad Baylor wrote:

> >What do you think of using switched-capacitance to equalize large
> >strings? (A la http://www.smartsparkenergy.com/batteq.htm)
>
> That is brilliantly simple! Why didn't I think of that.... gonna have
> to experiment now. The cheapest implementation would be relays,
> electrolytics, and a 50% duty cycle oscillator that can drive the
> relays. Maybe some resistors to prolong contact life. Wonder what
> frequency to run it at and what value components. Hmmm..

Try it before you build anything too elaborate. What you'll find is that
the initial current may be high, but it falls to essentially zero almost
immediately, long before the batteries are actually at equal states of
charge.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:22, Alan Smith wrote:
A friend of mine wants to convert to an ev because he only drives about
10-15 round trip for work. And occasionally takes his kids places around town. The first question is, what car should he use as a donor? Now, I know almost nothing about cars, but I was thinking a VW Beetle because they're
small and it shouldn't take much to power them. What do you all think?

There are a number of ev sites that have a donor selection faq. In general, lighter is better, and you want a manual transmission. And it needs to have some space to put batteries and a chassis that is up to it.

There are other things like not wanting a rusty car (which you don't want regardless) and some advice to pick a car you like, because if you don't like it, your ev experience will be lesser.

The Beetle was originally a 36 hp car, so it doesn't take much to match or beat the performance of those cars, though they were mostly more powerful than that. They are simple, with few electrical needs, parts are plentiful and cheap - a whole section of JC Whitney devoted to just Beetle's. They have a certain style that a more modern small car lacks - who covets a Geo, for example? Not downing Geo's, just on a desire level, there is no comparison.

All of that being said, the downside is that these are 30 to 40 year old cars. Finding one in decent shape could be a challenge, especially if you are on the East coast. One that has been restored to a very good condition is likely to be $5k or more - sometimes much more. Plus, they lack many safety features we take for granted - a lot don't have rear seat belts or shoulder belts in the front, a lot have drum brakes all the way round that would be scary slowing a car a thousand pounds or so heavier than designed, so you'd have a further expense and difficulty upgrading that. I'm not a bug expert, but I think a super beetle takes care of most of those issues.

In my search for a donor car, I have just about ruled out a beetle barring some incredibly lucky barn find of a great body sans motor that someone wants to sell cheap nearby.

There are any number of newer, relatively light manual transmission vehicles with disc brakes etc. Hondas, toyotas, nissans, escorts, geos, vw rabbits, etc. in decent enough condition for under $2k - remember you are adding $5-10k to the car, so unless money is not important to you, a cheaper donor is better.

Another thing to take into account is the availability of adapters - seems to me that this is the hardest part for a do-it-yourselfer. Beetle conversions are plentiful, so they are available. You can check out Electroauto and KTA and cloudelectric for what they already have plans for. They are relatively pricey, but unless you have a metal shop in the grarage, chances are it is still cheaper than the time you would spend yourself. I know it can be done, it all depends on how much time vs money you want to spend.

As for lead acid, surrounding yourself with half a ton of hazardous materials sounds like a bad idea, but it is what it is. Probably comparing to the explosive power of a tank of gas won't win that argument, but I bet a look at the price of exotic batteries (at this point) would.

Probably sealed batteries might sound less scary, and there are plenty of people running them.

John F. Norton
via T-Mobile Sidekick

Brad Baylor wrote:

> >This is the old "flying capacitor" circuit. It's been invented and
> >re-invented many times. It is a good idea that doesn't actually work
> >very well.
> >
> >The basic flying capacitor circuit winds up dissipating about half the
> >power in the resistance of the switches. And, to move any significant
> >amount of charge, the capacitor has to be enormous or the switching
> >frequency has to be very high.
>
> Damn.. I knew there had to be a catch. Yeah I was kind of wondering
> about that, with no inductors in the circuit. I wonder how hard it
> would it be to add inductors or transformers to reduce resistive
> losses? Hmmm..

Certainly you can add inductors. When you have one transistor, one
diode, one inductor, and one capacitor per battery, you have the basics
for any of the standard DC/DC converter circuits (buck, boost, etc.).
The challenge, as always, is to build one that is simple, inexpensive,
reliable, and that actually works.

Victor Tikhonov wrote:

I know you can have a la Red Beastie lead sled built to
demonstrate a range number rather than be a normal commuter,
but it's not exactly what most people would want to drive).

(Don't get me wrong, I respect Dick Finley's creation very much).

From Roger Stockton:

In all fairness, I think that Victor's comment still stands.
The Red Beastie got about 2x the range of a typical conversion, and used
2x the amount of batteries...other aspects of performance suffered as a result:
this was a 5000lb
2-person vehicle with reasonably slow acceleration despite a decent
motor and controller combination.

I agree with both of your assessments. The truck was actually even heavier, at exactly 5290 lbs. It's acceleration was borderline, it was very heavy and felt cumbersome to drive, it slowed down on steep hills, and it took forever to get up to near 90 mph, but amazingly it 'did' reach the very high 80s on level ground. On the other hand, it was also capable of towing a 16 ft. tandem wheel trailer loaded with my 2300 car, the 500 lb. Heavy Metal Garden Tractor, and a generator plus tools and stuff, at 55 mph from the east side of Portland south to Woodburn, OR, a 45 mile trip, and it still had about 30% charge left.

Victor, I think you and Dick would have liked each other.

See Ya.......John Wayland

See a video of Red Beastie in action (19th thumbnail down from the top of the page) at the Plasma Boy website:

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com

USE Truck, 50kw AC. 0-45 14.86 sec. 1400lbs of batterys. Driver only.
Vehicle wt about 4000-4400lbs w/o driver.

AC Propulsion Saturn 100kw AC. 0-45 6.00 sec. and 0-60 9.46 sec. Both
times with 470 lbs of driver and passenger. 1200 lbs of batts. Longest
drive 79 miles. Vehicle wt about 3400lbs.

"Matthew D. Graham" wrote:
> Apparently, I am one of the poor, unfortunate souls with 25 Orbitals
> that just can't seem to agree on a common voltage... I have quite a
> few that hit the 14.8 V mark and start blinking while others want to
> hang out around 13 and small change.

That suggests that they are not equalized. The variations between them
might even be large enough that you *can't* equalize them with your
present method.

> Anyway, all this talk of equalization finally got me inspired...
> After topping up the pack with a normal charge cycle to about 345 V,
> I followed the equalization procedure, but chickened out after about
> 40 minutes. Some of the batteries got up around 15.5 V, while half
> of the pack's batteries were still wallowing around 13.2 V... at a
> charge current of 1 amp and pack voltage got to about 360 V.

This suggests to me that they *still* aren't equalized.

> Needless to say, hearing today that I should NEVER equalize my pack
> of Orbitals kinda bummed me out

What matters most are the AMPHOURS you put in at high voltage. Your
15.5v for 10 minutes at 1 amp is no problem at all; that's only 0.16
amphours.

> what's the best way to get all the batteries in line?

Charge them INDIVIDUALLY to the same ending voltage and current.

> I'm not a fan of charging individually since I've done it before
> with only short term satisfaction. The batteries soon get out of
> whack again.

Correct. This tells you that your present balancing system is inadequate
for the amount of imbalance in your pack. You need batteries that are
more closely matched, or a "stronger" balancing method.

Cor van de Water wrote:
> Any opinions on this way of "equalizing once a month"?

It sounds like your batteries are reasonably well equalized. I see about
a +/-0.025v difference between highest and lowest with a pretty
aggressive balancer.

But, you are doing your balancing via deliberate overhcharging, as would
be done with floodeds. This works for a while, but you will discover
that it shortens your battery life. Over time, they will dry out and
their internal resistance will rise (i.e. larger voltage sag under
load).

http://www.markwilliams.com/driveshaftPickups.aspx?CategoryID=266

It appears that your pack is getting full on nearly every cycle.
The slight overcharge appears to come close to meeting John Olson's negative
plate charge requirement.
The batteries appear to be very well matched.
As Bill Dube' stated, you are running a compromise between sulphation and
dryout tending more toward sulphation than dryout.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder