  1) Re: Off-the-shelf LED bar graph voltmeters available? (was: Off-the-shelf
multip
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: New Panasonic car runs off two AA batteries
        by Peter Eckhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: AC vs DC; Newbie Question
  4) Precharge alternatives
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Low rider floodie quest
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Have been collecting range data, how about acceleration data
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Earth Day Adventures with Batteries
        by "Arthur W. Matteson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Monster Garage
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Monster Garage
        by "David Ankers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Earth Day Adventures with Batteries
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Monster Garage
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Low rider floodie quest
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Thin wires as fuses? (was: Battery connections assistance sought)
        by Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Earth Day Adventures with Batteries
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) 156v VW Bus with 156kZilla
 16) RE: Off-the-shelf LED bar graph voltmeters available? (was:  Off-the-shelf
        by Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Earth Day Adventures with Batteries
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I looked into the bar graphs as well. They need some current to drive
them. So make sure you can turn them off.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Where can a 10 segment LED bar graph voltmeter display be purchased?
>
>   Mark
>

> Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     Why not just use a separate LED bar graph display for each
battery and then arrange them together like the previously mentioned
graphic equalizer?

> It doesn't take much to build a bar graph display with a LM3914.
Arrange your batteries into roughly 12V modules and montior them using
something like this:

> http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/batmon12.htm
>
> It's not off the shelf, but it's still pretty simple and relatively
cheap.

> It's what I'm planning on bulding, I'm just trying to find a
suitable 10 segment bar graph display.

> ---------------------------------
and save big.

Hi Bruce,

You're in the ball park. There are 6800 - 18650 Lithium Ion batteries in the tZero. These are the type of battery that you would normally find in a laptop battery pack.

The 18 of the 18650 signifies that the diameter is 18 mm and the 65 of the 18650 signifies that the battery is 65 mm long. Don't remember what the "0" signifies. An "AA" battery is 14.5mm by 50.5mm. Basically, in size, an 18650 is a slightly fatter and longer AA battery. 25.4mm = 1 inch

Peter Eckhoff, President
Triangle Electric Auto Association
Research Triangle Park, NC
Google: TEAA

Bruce Weisenberger wrote:
See AC Propulsion or T-Zero- Used I believe nearly 7000 Lithium-ion 18650's
which I believe are AA sized.

Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Now load it up with even more AA's and
make it really scoot!

----

Someone at school had a SWR meter/analyzer that used 10 AA batteries. The battery box claims they are 1.5v each. Connected in series, the
device was claiming 16.1v.  I was thinking my car battery at 12 and
these 10 little batteries at 16...  pretty neat.  I wondered what is
the highest series voltage that has ever been configured using AA's?

----

Bonus story!

We had this cart with a fully working demonstration air conditioning
unit on it.  It required 28 volts DC to be hooked up to it to drive
the motor to drive the compressor.  The unit was low on freon so the
(can't think of the name) switch wouldn't let the compressor run.  The
instructor wanted to bypass it to see if the motor still worked...  He
got a good sized wire and connected it to the hot side of the solenoid
and touched it to the motor terminal..  It audibly arced and I felt he
was lucky that it didn't weld the wire to the motor post.  It did
leave a melt mark on the post and the end of the wire.  The motor
plate said 90 amps.

I would have had the power turned off, connected the wire and then
used the switch on the cart to avoid doing what he did...

---------------------------------
Celebrate Earth Day everyday!  Discover 10 things you can do to help slow
climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day

> I just replied to Peter's comment that one can *forget* about
> using AC drive if they have low voltage battery, and this is
> not the case - one CAN build it and it WILL work fairly well.
>
> Whether it worth it for a user, is different question and not
> the one we were discussing.
> Perhaps, while very doable, not worth it.

Hi Victor,

I didn't mean to say that it wasn't possible, just that it wasn't worthwhile.
You've stated it better than I did.  My brevity has risen up and bitten me
again.

Anyway, we agree that it's probably not worth it, especially since I
suspect the reason for going with low voltage was to save money.

I'm unhappy with the current practice and techniques of precharging
the controller caps.  It seems that one has only a couple of choices,
neither good nor convenient.  One is to leave the controller charged
all the time which wastes energy and will drain the pack if left
sitting for awhile or have a pre-charge circuit and put up with the
delay while it functions.  (No, I'm not interested in hearing that you
don't find the delay annoying.  I do and I started this thread!)

I've been pondering this today.  The goal really isn't to fully charge
the caps.  The goal is to limit the inrush to something that is safe
for the contactor, safe for the caps and which will not generate
enough ring voltage to hurt the semiconductors.  That means that some
inrush is OK.

One of the standard industrial methods of limiting inrush or fault
current is a high current air core inductor in series with the load.
The resistance and inductance are low enough that it has no effect on
normal operations.  The inductance is high enough, however, to limit
inrush or fault current to a design value.

I'm thinking about (and probably will) applying that to my EV.  This
will involve adding a suitable inductor in series with one of the pack
to controller leads.  There will then be no precharge resistor and the
contactor will close in on a discharged controller.  The inductor will
limit the inrush to a safe value.  No delays and no quiescent energy
consumption.

I'm just thinking out loud here before I go out tomorrow and do some
testing.  Has anyone else used this approach and if so, any gotchas?

One potential gotcha I can think of has to do with ripple current back
to the battery from the PCM action.  For a controller with little or
no input filtering, inductance in the battery lead could result in
unstable operation or loss of power.  At this point I'm assuming that
any controller with enough input capacity to need worry about inrush
has enough to limit or eliminate input ripple.  True?  False?

Physical size won't be a problem since it'll only take a few (hundred)
microhenerys to limit the inrush to a few hundred amps.

Any idea how much input capacitance in, say, an Alltrax 7845?  My
digital capacitance meter generated "unusual" results, probably
because of all the other stuff connected to the input.  I'll get my
LCR bridge out tomorrow but just in case someone already knows, saving
me the work, I thought I'd ask.

Discussion?
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

Mike,

What are you trying to achieve?

You have a box that does not allow you to access
most of the batteries that you put in, so why
use flooded which you need to water and maintain?

That was exactly the reason why the trucks were
all equipped with sealed batteries...

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com