  1) battery choice (was Battery patent rights)
        by "Steve Arlint" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: 156v VW Bus with 156kZilla
  3) Re: Precharge alternatives
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Precharge alternatives
        by Janez Svetlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Measuring little capacitors
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) High current 200 V Schottkys for freewheeling- who makes them?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Baylor)
  7) Re: [uselectricar] Measuring little capacitors
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Baylor)
  8) Re: Precharge alternatives
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: High current 200 V Schottkys for freewheeling- who makes them?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Baylor)
 10) Re: Precharge alternatives
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: High current 200 V Schottkys for freewheeling- who makes them?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: CURRENT ELIMINATOR NEWS
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) RE: Precharge alternatives
        by "Garret Maki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: High current 200 V Schottkys for freewheeling- who makes them?
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Etek-ed Hybrid
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: High current 200 V Schottkys for freewheeling- who makes them?
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Precharge alternatives
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Potbox and contractor
        by Stefan Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: White Zombie Update...360 Volts...More HP!
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Flying car - or, it "runs" in midair
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) What people want/level of expertise to get an EV started?
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Fw: bmw in Vegas.  Need storage help & or transport
Greetings,

Well, I am a little more relaxed on that whole NIMH patent issue.  I still
don't like the fact that someone can patent the whole concept of a battery.
Patent a manufacturing process definately, but battery concept; no.

To reply on the Lead acid suggestion, yes they are inexpensive in initial $
cost.  Most of the electric motor scooters use lead acid for that reason.  In a
system that is engineered from the ground up, Nicad/NIMH does not have to be
expensive.

For example, on a 20 Hr rate NIMH has more capacity per Kg. than lead acid.
Couple in Peukert's effect for a 40-80 min discharge, a cold day, and carrying
the extra weight of lead acid that has to compensate for the above listed
deficiencies (which mans a heavier scooter thus more power needed),  and
perhaps Nicad/NIMH isn't that much more.  Then take into consideration the
longer cycle life offered by Nicad/NIMH.

By no means am I saying don't use lead acids ever.  It is just that my
application calls for a Nicad or NIMH battery.  I will use cylindricals just
because they can be had for a stupid low cost compared to prismatics.  This
means that I will have to work out the balancing issues.

As for Lithuim based batteries.  I would love for Lithuim's to come down in
price and solve our battery problems.  Changing my battery management to
lithuim would be a task but not impossible.  Unfortunately that is not the case
and I cannot put my faith in the future.  I have to make the best of what is
available today.

VR,
Steven Arlint
Team Umpqua Electric Vehicles

Danny Miller wrote:

SLA is just so readily available and cheap.  It's been the solution
of choice so far.

You might think about the product life cycle too.  I mean, if you
design am expensive NiMH/NiCd system that will last for 20+ years, it
will probably be discarded in 5 yrs as someone outgrows the idea or
they become obsolete.  In 5 yrs there may be relatively cheap,
long-life LiPo cells available that would obsolete the NiMH design.

Powered by Outblaze

Test drive new cars from the comfort of your desk at carpoint.com.au http://secure-au.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/a/ci_450304/et_2/cg_801459/pi_1004813/ai_833884
Brad Baylor wrote:
> I've seen posts here that a 200 V 400 A Schottky exists.

Well, sort of. The Schottky design only works well below about 50v. As
they redesign to increase the reverse breakdown voltage, the forward
conduction voltage goes up, too. Over 100 volts, Schottkys hardly have
any advantage over a normal diode.

> Is it ok to parallel them as long as they are on a big enough heat
> sink?

Diodes do not parallel well. The hotter one has less forward drop, so it
hogs more current, which makes it get hotter yet, so it hogs even more
current, etc. To parallel them, you generally have to hand-match them
*and* insure that they are very close to the same temperature at all
times.

> APT APT2X101S20J 200V 120A, 2 on a SOT-227 package
> How much do these cost?

I don't know, but I'd expect tens of dollars!

> Correct my understanding if incorrect:
> The current in the freewheeling diode is highest at low rpm, moderate
> to high throttle settings (like when accellerating).

Roughly correct. It would be more correct to say the diode current is
motor current times percent PWM on-time.

> The diode's reverse recovery time is very important, or else shoot
> through occurs. Schottkys have near 0 recovery time and are best for
> 200 V or less.

Yes, except that they have a lot of capacitance. This capacitance can
cause shoot-thru current, too.

> Synchronous rectification with MOSFETs is useless at these current
> levels unless using an unreasonable number of devices

Well, it's no worse than the number of MOSFETs needed for the main
switch.

> Synchronous rectification with IGBTs is useless due to the higher 1.8
> V drop (unless at voltages that would require putting Schottkys in
> series).

Except that people use IGBTs as the main transistor switch; so they
would work as synchronous rectifiers for the freewheel diode, too. It
all depends on how much money you want to spend, and how low you want
your controller losses.

CE lost in the 1st round on fri.nite a real heartbreaker by .001 to last
years ADRA  and Summit points champ.A close race right to the finish line.
Dennis
Berube                                     Next race next fri. nite 6pm at
Speedworld for NHRA Summit points and a $1000.

I think I am missing something.  The Alltrax manual shows the pre-charge
resistor unswitched and this is what I have done.

John wrote:
"...One is to leave the controller charged all the time which wastes
energy and will drain the pack if left sitting for awhile..."

Is this true?  I haven't seen any accumulation on my emeter.  I thought
once the caps were charged they stopped draining from the battery.  If
not, I certainly haven't observed a noticeable loss of any significant
energy.

Should I look at adding a switch for the pre-charge resistor?  I know
Damon Henry did for his bike, but I haven't had a problem without it.
Any idea what the drain current is?

Thanks all,
Garret

Test drive new cars from the comfort of your desk at carpoint.com.au
http://secure-au.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/a/ci_450304/et_2/cg_801459/pi_
1004813/ai_833884

Well, you could use it in parallel with the sync rectifier element, right?

That means the diode keeps the voltage across the transistor very low while it's switching, and makes the timing less critical since the gaps between forward transistor turning off and rectifier transistor turning on (and vice versa) are not very critical. The Schottky need not be enormous, the current just eneds to be within its max surge rating not the continuous rating.

Brad Baylor wrote:
I've seen posts here that a 200 V 400 A Schottky exists.

Well, sort of. The Schottky design only works well below about 50v. As
they redesign to increase the reverse breakdown voltage, the forward
conduction voltage goes up, too. Over 100 volts, Schottkys hardly have
any advantage over a normal diode.

Is it ok to parallel them as long as they are on a big enough heat
sink?

Diodes do not parallel well. The hotter one has less forward drop, so it
hogs more current, which makes it get hotter yet, so it hogs even more
current, etc. To parallel them, you generally have to hand-match them
*and* insure that they are very close to the same temperature at all
times.

Interesting project:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4634264304

I have a few 200V , 400A Schottky's, very rare
International Rectifier parts.  If you really need
some email me off list.
Rod
P.S. good luck finding them anywhere else!!!!

--- Brad Baylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've seen posts here that a 200 V 400 A Schottky
> exists.
>
> I've seen posts here that a 200 V 400 A Schottky
> exists.
>
> Is it ok to parallel them as long as they are on a
> big enough heat
> sink? Say a 1/4 inch thick copper slab with water
> cooling pipes on the
> back side. Or will I still need some small value
> resistors in series
> with each? If I still need resistors, what value?
> Would ones allowing
> .2 V drop at the device's rated current be enough?
>
> The highest I found so far:
> Ixys DSS 2x101-02A 200 V 100 A, 2 on a SOT-227
> package
> http://www.ixys.com/L703.PDF
>
> APT APT2X101S20J 200V 120A, 2 on a SOT-227 package

http://www.advancedpower.com/Communities/APT/Products/2X101S20J.PDF

> How much do these cost?
>
> Correct my understanding if incorrect:
>
> The current in the freewheeling diode is highest at
> low rpm, moderate
> to high throttle settings (like when accellerating).
>
> Besides the obvious function of keeping stuff from
> blowing up, it is
> the device that makes possible the torque
> multiplication effect. For
> example, during acceleration when 300 A RMS is
> coming from the
> battery, but motor current is 1000 A, 700 A RMS
> would be going through
> the freewheeling diode.
>
> The diode's reverse recovery time is very important,
> or else shoot
> through occurs. Schottkys have near 0 recovery time
> and are best for
> 200 V or less.
>
> Synchronous rectification with MOSFETs is useless at
> these current
> levels unless using an unreasonable number of
> devices (or else the
> intrinsic diode with relatively slow recovery turns
> on, causing shoot
> through).
>
> Synchronous rectification with IGBTs is useless due
> to the higher 1.8
> V drop (unless at voltages that would require
> putting Schottkys in
> series).
>
> All correct?
>
> Brad Baylor

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:47:18 -0400, "Garret Maki"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I think I am missing something.  The Alltrax manual shows the pre-charge
>resistor unswitched and this is what I have done.
>
>John wrote:
>"...One is to leave the controller charged all the time which wastes
>energy and will drain the pack if left sitting for awhile..."
>
>Is this true?  I haven't seen any accumulation on my emeter.  I thought
>once the caps were charged they stopped draining from the battery.  If
>not, I certainly haven't observed a noticeable loss of any significant
>energy.

It's not the tiny leakage current of the caps that is of concern but
the power consumption of the controller's electronics, at least for
controllers like the Alltrax that operates its electronics from pack
power.

The most usual setup with the Alltrax is to jumper the "ignition on"
terminal over to the B+ terminal so that the electronics power up at
the same time the controller does.  One could, I guess, install
another switch but it would have to handle the pack voltage.  The 72
volt Alltrax will NOT run on 12 volts.

If your controller has a separate power input for the electronics then
you probably don't have a problem.

Your E-meter probably wouldn't see the drain even if you had any, as
there is a threshold, variously reported as 100 or 200 ma, below which
the E-meter ignores any current signal.  This is to stop insignificant
offset and/or thermocouple signals in the shunt loop from being
integrated into significant error over time.

With the known controller drain of my Alltrax, whether my E-meter sees
it depends mostly on the phase of the moon :-)  Some days when the
moon (and ambient temperature) is right, the E-meter will see the
drain and sometimes it won't.

John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

Michaela Merz wrote:
Hello:

A few people on the list suggested to wire the main contractor to the
potbox in order to disconnect the controller once one lifts the foot of
the accelarator (at least this is how I understood it).

First question: Did I understand the concept right?

Second question: I have a Raptor 1200 controller and it usually takes
about 1 or 2 seconds to come up to 'ready' mode. That would prohibit the
idea of doing it that way because in some circumstances, 2 seconds may
just a long time.

Thanks for the answers.

Michaela

Dumb question:

Why not put a safety contactor that pulls out on each dead throttle event between the controller and motor? It wouldn't (shouldn't) be breaking any current... so not much wear and tear. Would this be bad for the controller or contactor? I take it I'm missing something here, or else this would be more common.

~ Peanut Gallery ~

At 11:04 AM 23/04/06 -0700, John Wayland wrote:
Hello to All,

and
Each weekend has been packed with EV building activity, <snip> new pack of Aerobatteries
and
Other changes to the car include the high rpm field weakening circuit <snip>
Will Jim's mighty Siamese 8 hold up to this? Will the Hawker Aerobatteries stay together?

G'day John (and all)

Aargh, no news on how you are getting on with making reverse happen?!!

Regards

James
I thought I would post a link to my blog,
which began to live up to its name as an ev blog
today, as I posted my plan of action for my Saturn.
(pictures to follow).

I got it up on jack stands and tested with a couple
of somewhat-dead batteries, watching the tires spin
forward in first and second (and backward in reverse).

http://www.pachai.net/ev

(I didn't submit to the gallery yet...soon.)

I'm studying a bunch of EVAlbum pages to narrow
down what controller to get, thinking a Zilla2K
might be way more than I need....but I am
leaning right now toward more than 144V of
Lead Acid....thinking Flooded, because, if I understand
correctly, it is easier to fix "charging errors"
with floodeds.  Per recent discussions, I would
love to get 65 miles.

"Floodeds" will bring us full-circle, my parents used
to have to add boiled water to the battery in
their 1969 air-cooled car (perhaps it was supposed
to be distilled water ? :-)

The rise in gas prices has me once again, thinking
about what the "on-the-fence"-er needs to get their
project done.  And what is my role in it all, based on
my experience.
   In other words, I started with a Mike Brown Rabbit,
and after 4 years, wanted to build my own.  While I
had electrical expertise, I had little auto
experience, per se.  Yet somewhere along the way, I
learned enough to take the information from a video of
another Civic EV, and construct my own.
   The point is that if I was to ask a fabricating
shop to crank out the front headlight rack, the
firewall batt. rack, the trunk rack, and the motor
mount, and I tossed in the controller mount, the
vacuum pump mount, and the controller mount, would
that be enough for those person(s) to hop off the
fence and get started.
   My DVD is available, and comprehensive journal is
on-line, so there are few secrets left to doing a
92-95 Civic conversion.  But we're talking about 100
lbs. of metal to be shipped, and the enthusiast would
still have to follow the schematic and order the
adapter plate and all of the components from
ElectroAutomotive, or KTA Services, or Metric Mind, or
whomever, building it on their own...
   Of course, there is also just the thought that I've
got the uncontrollable urge to do another EV, and hope
that I can get the 11K for parts and glider + 4K
profit for doing it...  Perhaps it's time to teach a
class on it, and have prospects show up with their
glider in Oregon...
(;-p

'92 Honda Civic sedan, 144V (video or DVD available)!
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

--- Begin Message --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] contact Dale. He needs help with an Ebay auction he won. See below. Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] . Thanks for any help. Lawrence Rhodes...... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Ice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>