  1) Sun-Sentinel articles on EVs & the Florida EAA
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Tiniest Digital Panel Voltmeter?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Potbox and contractor
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: I'm confused...
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Precharge alternatives
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Li Ion recall
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) NiCd bus on eBay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re: Precharge alternatives
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Tiniest Digital Panel Voltmeter?
        by jerry halstead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Precharge alternatives
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: I'm confused...
        by "David Ankers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: I'm confused...
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Precharge alternatives
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Thin wires as fuses?
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: And so it begins...
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Potbox and contractor
        by "Stefan T. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: I'm confused...
        by "Dmitri Hurik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Li Ion recall
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Li Ion recall
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Li Ion recall
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Li Ion recall
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Wikipedia on the Rav4 EV
 23) How much battery capacity would this require?
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: I'm confused...
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: EVs in Australia?
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: What people want/level of expertise to get an EV started?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: How much battery capacity would this require?
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Here are the links to those two recent Sun-Sentinel articles on EVs & the
Florida EAA.  The second one is a good article on Lowell Simmon's
award-winning EV program at Miramar High School, which has set the standards
that all other high school EV programs in the country follow and also holds
a number of world records in electric car racing.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-pelxauto22apr22,0,7614075.story

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/custom/nextgeneration/broward/sfl-bhs19elecvehicleapr19,1,5932910.story

Mark Freidberg wrote:

> Seeking one suitable for 12 volt battery monitoring. Anyone have a link to
> the tiniest?

How accurate? Small implies hard to read.

A single LED is about as small as you can get. You can wire it to change
color or brightness to indicate voltage.

There are tiny analog meters as small as 1/2" square. They would be hard
to read accurately, but easy to spot the relative voltage between a row
of them.

Beyond that, you could build something with a single LED or LCD graphic
display, with circuitry to display a bargraph for each battery and
perhaps the highest or lowest voltage in a larger format.

This is how my Cableform motor controller was done.  There is two safety
contactors coming off the battery that stay on all the time control by
ignition switch.

The battery negative went right to the controller.  There is a main
contactor between the controller and the motor which was operated by the
accelerator.

The battery positive was fuse with a Bussman 400 amp Limitron fuse and went
directly to the motor.

These contactors are a very large open type, that are still working today,
except the main contactor is used for positive voltage going to a Zilla.
The contact coils is control by a 12 volt relays.

These Cableform contactors, are design for the voltage range that the main
battery may sag.  They are size for the battery pack voltage, so they will
not drop off with a very low voltage drop.

The Cableform contactor coils are at the battery pack voltage.  Its would
take about 5 amps at 12 VDC to operated these contactors.  My contactor
coils are design for a 180 volt pack, where the coil voltage can be as high
as 280 volts and as low as 11 volts before the contactor will drop out.

If I ever drop that low, which I never did, then the contactor will not come
back on until the battery pack voltage reaches 155 volts, which is the Low
Battery Limit for a 180 volt pack.

These contactors are control by a plug-in glass 12 volt relay that only
requires 0.01 amp to operated.

On every one of these contactors, there is a 300 amp diode that goes across
the contacts, to assist in REGEN, which I do not have yet with the Zilla.

There is also a plug in micro switch module, that plugs into the contactor
that controls a idle point by keeping the contactor on which is control by a
12 wire circuit to the accelerator box.

If you are doing a lot of very short stop and go driving, the idle control
allows the motor to stay at about 500 rpm, which reduces the starting surge
if you started from 0 rpm each time.  I can turn off the idle control if not
needed.

With the Zilla, I have the Curtis pot box, which I added a idle stop made
from a electric door lock activator.