  1) Re: Zilla anyone
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Can someone correct a misunderstanding?
        by "David Ankers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Now that's a hybrid
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: V28 battery (and other lithium cells)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Now that's a hybrid
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EMB's .. Electro Mechanical Batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Speedometer without a transmission?
        by Mark Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: running hot
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: EMB's .. Electro Mechanical Batteries
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: EMB's .. Electro Mechanical Batteries
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Zilla anyone
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Zilla anyone
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: EMB's .. Electro Mechanical Batteries
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Now that's a hybrid
        by Edward Kellogg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Question about attaching Curtis 1221c to heatsink
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: longest range?
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: which comes first
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EMB's .. Electro Mechanical Batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) What time line is there on Zilla controllers?
        by Mark Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Can someone correct a misunderstanding?
        by "Stefan T. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Blower down.
 22) Hybrid legalities
        by "Erik G. Burrows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie  Update...360
Volts...More HP!
 24) Re: Now that's a hybrid
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hello Seth,

Let me see, oh I found it.  Here is a E-mail of a guy that has lots of them,
may have a used one, but does have new ones.  He is Otmar Ebenhoach of Café
Electric.

I bought the Zilla and all his products from him.  And here's the great
thing, If you need to as any technical details on the Zilla's, just E-mail
him and he will answer your call, after he sorts out's 100's of E-mail on
Zilla's that he design and manufactures.

From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Now that's a hybrid
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 04:33:10 -0700 (MST)
FWIW, if you ignore aerodynamic looses, the energy required to climb a
hill is basically the same whether you go up it fast or slow.  So, if you
have the power, you are better off going up it fast and keeping the motor
heating down.

You might have the best results by taking a run at it and keeping the
throttle wide open the whole way up.

Yeah, this is true. On the way to work, the climb is very steep and curvey. I did take it about as fast as I could. I probably averaged 30+ mph going up it which was about all my bike could do. It seems that the worst curves have the steepest grade right after them. The other side has a few steep parts, but is not nearly as bad. I was more in the 40's on this side so at these speeds areo does start to become a significant factor. I think the coming home from work climb actually heated things up the most. Several minutes of 200 - 250 amps through a 6.7 inch motor will do that. The good new is that once I peak the hill, it's straight back down, so I literally get to coast the whole way down which lets the internal fan keep spinning without any current draw.

Of course with less weight and decent tire pressure, I expect the next trip to work out even better.

damon

Neon John wrote:
> In other words, a 50KWh flywheel disassembling itself would result in
> a big-assed explosion :-(

Yes, this is how I see it as well. Storing that kind of energy in one
large flywheel makes it virtually impossible to safely contain the
energy released if it fails catastrophically.

Such a flywheel might make sense for a stationary installation, where it
could be buried or bunkered for safety. But it seems hopeless to put in
a vehicle, subject to shock and vibration, crashes, wear-out, etc.

In a vehicle, I think you would have to use many, far smaller flywheel
"batteries", so that the failure of one wouldn't be nearly as energetic
or hard to contain.

I can well imagine a flywheel "battery" for a hybrid car, where the
flywheel only has to absorb the energy from *one* 60-0 mph stop, and
returns it 30 seconds later for the 0-60 mph accelleration. Now the peak
energy storage is manageable without exotic expensive techniques.

There are also some 60's and 70's version cars that had a speedo attachment on
the driver' side front wheel.  Might look at a junk yard.  It would be more of
a low tech solution.

Mark Ward
95 Saab 900SE "Saabrina"
www.saabrina.blogspot.com

Brian Baumel wrote:
> It seems my controller overheats at about 5 miles. I was only going
> 30mph average. Why am I overheating? It is a Aapi H2B w/regen...
> mounted to a 18" X 22" X 1/4" aluminum plate

It sounds like you don't have any actual heatsink; just the surface area
of the aluminum plate itself. Especially with no fan, that's not going
to work very well.

A heatsink's performance is controlled by its surface area. Fins are
used to get large surface areas from relatively small parts. A flat
plate is a "one fin" heatsink; not very effective. Counting both sides,
your 18"x22" plate has 792 sq.in of surface area.

Suppose you replaced it with a typical heatsink, about the same size as
your controller (10" x 15") but with 2" fins on 0.5" centers. Now your
surface area is 10" x 15" x 2 = 300 sq.in for the plate itself, plus 2"
x 15" x 21 = 630 sq.in for the fins, for a total of 930 sq.in. Far
smaller, yet more area; thus the controler runs cooler.

Better; get the heatsink's fins "out in the breeze" or add a fan, and
you will drastically increase its cooling effectiveness.

Another possibility: Are you driving it like an ICE, with motor rpm as
low as possible? This forces motor current to be as *high* as possible,
which makes the motor and controller run much hotter. You should shift
to keep motor speed *high* in an EV, for better cooling and efficiency.

Being in a metric country, I have never heard of a "metric pound" - where is
this used?!??  As for the "US Pound", sorry to say, it is really called the
"international pound" or the "avoirdupois pound".

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev