  1) Re: What is it with CVTs?
        by "BFRListmail" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: How to advance brushes?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Power/Electric Meter
        by Wayne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Zilla DAQ 4 mode questions or how to graph a race?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: What is it with CVTs?
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Going to the Movies, WAS: Review of Who Killed the Electric Car? on
Living on Earth
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Prius air-conditioning
        by "Jody Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) The oil company / power company difference
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: The oil company / power company difference
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: What is it with CVTs?
        by "Jody Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: What is it with CVTs?
        by "Jody Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: What is it with CVTs?
        by "Jody Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Can someone correct a misunderstanding?
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Zilla DAQ 4 mode questions or how to graph a race?
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) EV postal van (not a C-van)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: EV Charging station
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Power/Electric Meter
        by Wayne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: What is it with CVTs?
        by Stefan Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: What is it with CVTs?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Motor Blowers - do you use them? how?
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: The oil company / power company difference
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Power/Electric Meter
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) [IAGS] Comparing Hydrogen and Electricity for Transmission, Stora
        ge and Transportation
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Power/Electric Meter
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
JMYGANN,

I've got 2 eteks in a 220lb motorcycle.  2.8:1 ratio in first gear.  1.9:1
in second gear.  65 mph in the 1/8 mile.  About 20 inch tall tire.  I think
with 4:1 ratio and enough amps, you'd have crazy torque.  I like it.

Darin Gilbert
BadFishRacing

From: "Garret Maki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: How to advance brushes?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:06:34 -0400

Question,
I want to try advancing the brush timing on my ADC 6.7" 4HP A89 motor.
I am a total newbie when it comes to electric motors.

I am not sure how to do this.  My first road block is how to get it
apart to get at them.  I took out the bolts from the rear cap.  I think
it is called a bell housing, right?  I can get the bell housing to turn
a bit if I pull real hard, but it doesn't seem to want to slide off away
from the black main housing of the motor.

Do I need to do something to free it?  I have held it from the unbolted
bell housing and shook it, but it didn't come off.  Do I need to use a
pry bar or something?

Thanks,
Motor Newbie,
Garret

There are millions of used electric power meters for sale on the
surplus market.  Usually for under $30.  For a number of reasons, the
mechanical type is desirable over the electronic version.  To make it
plug-through, arrange it like this:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/files/misc/power%20meter/

Now THAT's the ticket...The only one I could find was on, as you call it, "sleezebay." I'll keep looking...

Thanks to all who responded...Y'all awrite...

Wayne W.

If those of us who "can", "do" then those of us who "can't" won't suffer as much from the high prices of excess.
I was looking over the data on plasmaboys site and was wondering why his
amps can climp in 1/10 of a second when he is in series mode off of the
line. The two 8's in series would have twice the resistance(reactance)
of my 9 but at 1/2 the volts each should be about equal on the amp gain.
Is the fact that mine takes over a second to ramp up indicating a high
resistance after the controller? (maybe I need larger cables? (2/0)

In the future I want a better launch out of this thing, Other than
loosing 100 lbs, It seems like I need more motor before I need more
controller.

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:57:23 -0700 (MST), "Peter VanDerWal"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Two sprockets, one with a sprague (one way) clutch and the other with a
>Centrifugal clutch.  The sprague side is used at low speeds and as the
>RPMs come up the centrifugal clutch engages a lower ratio (higher speed)
>setup.

That's "sprag" and not Sprague (the capacitor company :-), just in
case you go looking for one.  Sprag is just one type of what is known
as an "overrun clutch".

>This has been done, successfully before.  While I don't know exact prices
>for it, I doubt it would cost much more than a couple hundred dollars.

Yeah, I had a go-kart as a kid with that kind of two speed
transmission.  There were a couple of problems.  The first was that
you had to charge through the clutch engagement RPM range or else the
clutch would drag and the two ratios would fight each other and
acceleration would practically stop.  I'm thinking back on this now
and theoretically that shouldn't happen but it did.  A toggle-action
clutch would be nice.

The second problem is keeping the overrun clutch lubed and sealed from
dirt.  On the go-kart, no particular effort was expended in this area
and as a result, the life of the overrun clutch and the shaft it ran
on was short.  Ideally this whole affair would run in an oil bath.

Something else you might consider.  In my collection of old motorcycle
literature is a retrofit kit from the 60s that gave a "dual purpose"
motorcycle two sets of final drive ratios, one for the street and one
for the dirt.  The kit was a 2 speed bicycle deraileur (sp) on
steroids.

It used conventional motorcycle-type chain.  The major difference was
that the sides of the rear sprockets were machined to the same profile
as bicycle deraileurs.  I recall the magazine reviewers of the time
liking the idea, the only problem being that the deraileur hung down
where it could suffer rock damage.  An enclosed version of this
operating in an oil bath might be quite slick and would be as
efficient as any other chain drive.

John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

What are the details? When is it showing? Where is it showing? Is this at the
Tribeca Film Fest?

Dave Cover

--- Bob Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Hi All;
>
>    I'm gunna swipe the good Drs, note here, to ask, anybody ELSE in the
> Least Coast land gunna do the NYC showing of Who Killed the Electric car? I
> bought my ticket on line and will go down by train, electric,of course! to
> NYC, HowEVer if anybody else buddied up to go I might drive down, from CT,
> This is for the 930 showing on the second.Welcome to thw 13 bux MOVIE
> ticket!But this isn't Kansis anymore.Seeya there. Dave Goldstein is making
> the trek from DC.Anybody else?
>
>    Seeya?
>
>     Bob

I have done a lot of research in this area.  I thought it would be possible
to buy a portable heat pump unit and take it apart for use in an EV.  You
can buy the heat pump unit from Newegg.com for about 350 bucks.  It draws 9
amps of AC 115v and has a digital control.  The whole unit weighs 70 pounds.
It should be pretty easy to generate 10 amps of AC with an inverter.  I
don't know if the unit will work off an inverter because of the modified
sine wave but even if it wouldnt you could then put a DC motor in place of
the AC unit to make it work at any voltage you wanted.  Here is the link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16896100124#DetailSpecs