  1) Re: Need help with my battery math (lead/lithium)
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: How to search the Archives
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Need help with my battery math (lead/lithium)
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) TdS Report #4: A Bit More Detail on the Entrants
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) Re: Need help with my battery math (lead/lithium)
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Cannot come to the Tour de Sol?  May is Junior Solar Sprints month.
        by M Bianchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EV-related biz plan (pallet jack recharge)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) "EV" (related?) Biz Plan
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Need help with my battery math (lead/lithium)
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) No V28 Chevy at High Voltage Nationals
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Re: Need help with my battery math (lead/lithium)
        by "Mark Grasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: DC-DC converters, related questions
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: "EV" (related?) Biz Plan
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: RC Battery chargers instead of regulators?
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: DC-DC converters
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Need help with my battery math (lead/lithium)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: NEDRA Nationals - date chosen yet?
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: No V28 Chevy at High Voltage Nationals
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Need help with my battery math (lead/lithium)
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Need help with my battery math (lead/lithium)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) Re: Need help with my battery math (lead/lithium)
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) US Electricar on Ebay, in Glendale, AZ.
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: "EV" (related?) Biz Plan
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: DC-DC converters
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Tremendous thanks for the info everybody.

Chet Fields wrote:

I would like to search and/or browse the archives,

3 "archives" that I know of.

Digest mode:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ev@listproc.sjsu.edu/

Individual posts:

Another thing to consider - how will you wire them together?  I am not sure
if you can solder the ends to wires, but you may be able to use a spot
welder designed for connecting metal straps to batteries.  A good connection
will be critical, as it will be a nightmare trying to find a bad connection
when 2200 batteries are connected together.

Don

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

        Date: Saturday, May 20
        Area Contact
        Gregory Kane and John Madden
        State of Connecticut
        Dept of Education
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        860-713-6756
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Washington, DC/Maryland

        Maryland-Washington D.C. Area Event
        Place: Takoma Park Middle School, Silver Spring, MD
        Date: Tuesday, May 16
        Area Contact
        Charles Garlow
        Electric Vehicle Association of Greater D. C.
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        202-564-1088

        Delaware

        Delaware State Event
        Place: Polytech High School, Woodside, DE
        Date: Wednesday, May 17,
        Rain Date: Thursday, May 18
        Area Contact
        Charlie Smisson
        Delaware Energy Office
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        302-739-1530

        Massachusetts

        Berkshire-Hudson
        Place: Reid Middle School, Pittsfield, MA
        Date: Saturday, June 3
        Area Contact
        Cynthia Grippaldi
        Center for Ecological Technology (CET)
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Nancy Nylen
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Cape and Islands
        Place: Cape Cod Community College Tennis Courts or Basketball Court
        Date: Saturday, June 3
        Area Contact
        Peregrine Carlson
        Cape and Islands Self-Reliance Corp.
        508-457-7679
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cell: 515-310-2827
        Richard Lawrence
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Eastern Massachusetts
        Place: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
        Date: Saturday, May 20
        Area Contact
        Henry Vandermark
        Solar Wave Energy, Inc.
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        (617) 242-2150

        West Central Massachusetts
        Place: Western New England College, Springfield, MA
        Date: Saturday, June 3
        Area Contact
        Dick Mindek
        Western New England College
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        413-796-2215
        Lyn Sullivan
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        413-782-1285
        Lyn is preferred area event registration contact

        Maine

        Maine State Event
        Place: Owls Head Transportation Museum, Owls Head, ME
        Date: Saturday, June 3
        Area Contact
        Peter Zack
        Maine Energy Education Project
        (207) 625-7833
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        New Hampshire

        Upper Connecticut River Valley
        Place: CCBA, Lebanon, NH
        Date: Thursday, May 25
        Area Contact
        Dr. Thomas S. Anderson
        U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        603-646-4751

        New Jersey

        Bergen County
        Place: Teaneck Community Charter School, Teaneck, NJ
        Date: Friday, May 5, 11-2pm
        Rain Date: Friday, May 12
        Area Contact
        Jim Manly
        201-833-9600

        Inter-County Final
        Fed by County Races:
        Morris 5-16, Rain date 5-23
        Sussex 5-17, Rain date 5-24
        Warren 5-18, Rain date-5-25
        Date: Tuesday May 30,
        Rain Date: Thursday June 1
        Area Contact
        Cindy Reuther
        TransOptions
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        973-267-7600

        Middlesex County
        Place: Edgar Middle School, Metuchen, NJ
        Date: Saturday, May 13
        Area Contact
        Ed Ronk
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Somerset County
        Place: Warren Township Middle School, Warren, NJ
        Date: Saturday, May 20
        Area Contact
        Maggie Geib
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        New York

        Albany Adirondack Area
        Place: At the NESEA Tour de Sol,
        Saratoga Performing Arts Center parking lot
                 Saratoga Spa State Park, Saratoga
        Springs, NY
        Date: Saturday, May 13
        Area Contact
        Lisa Sax
        Adirondack Business and School Partnership, Inc.
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        518-743-2214

        Buffalo
        Place: Jamison Road Fire Company Fire Hall
        Date: Saturday, May 6
        Area Contact
        Carl Berger
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        www.geocities.com/jssbuffalo
        716-665-1809

        NYSTSA
        Date: Friday, April 7
        Area Contact
        Bob Walters
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        607-277-5668

        Southern Finger Lakes
        Place: Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
        Rain site: DeWitt Middle School, Ithaca, NY.
        Date: Saturday, May 20
        Area Contact
        Bob Walters
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        607-277-5668

        Pennsylvania

        Philadelphia Area
        Place: 21st and Winter St. adjacent to north side of Franklin Institute,
        Philadelphia, PA
        Date: Saturday, May 6
        Area Contact
        Lisa Rose-Bryant
        Philadelphia Solar Energy Association
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        610-667-0412

        Rhode Island

        Rhode Island State Event
        Place: Rhode Island Sustainable Living Festival
                and Clean Energy Expo in West Coventry
        Date: Saturday, June 3
        Area Contact
        Bekah Greenwald
        Apeiron Institute for Sustainable Living
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        401-397-3430

        Vermont

        Northern Vermont
        Place: Williston Central School, Williston, VT
        Date: Saturday, May 20
        Area Contact
        Ben Gordesky
        Earthbound Services

 Mike Bianchi

Lock n Co,
Onboard pallet-jack recharging, certainly would be a small niche market, but
those trucks already have stout cable running rearward to power the liftgate,
which IIRC, is hot only when the ignition is on, to keep the house battery from
being drawn down.
  -Jay www.karmanneclectric.blogspot.com

Maybe make the generator a motor/generator and hybridize the truck that
starts and stops alot anyway using the battery in the pallet jack??

Check out the 6350mAH LiPo cell on the site:
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=473 <http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=473>
Neato!

All,

Despite our best efforts I received word today that the V28 MG Chevy will not be available for the High Voltage Nationals. Though no fault of Milwaukee's John Zick who continues to push to get us back on the track, the logistics of a large corp. and the previous obligations for the car were too much. We are doubling our efforts to see this machine on the track in Hagerstown in June. We were hoping to at least be there nice, big, and red in the White Zombie's rear view but the racing season is still young....

Shawn "One Short" Lawless

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- A friend of mine uses 4 of these at a time to run his electric helicopter, says they have great life, lots of current, runs an AC drive motor with them.

Mark Grasser
From: "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon May 8, 2006  5:56:21  PM US/Eastern
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: NEDRA Nationals - date chosen yet?

I assume that the NEDRA Nationals will once again be held in Oregon this
year...

Has this been agreed upon yet?  If so, is there a known date yet?

jorg

Dumb question time again.

I was thinking about the holders for the v28s, and the problem of charging them, and I was wondering if it would be possible to install the chargers in the car, do a little rewiring, and use them as battery holders, and maybe wire the chargers together too?

David C Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)

"The Bush administration's priorities are
"a little bit different now and veterans aren't a priority,"

Despite our best efforts I received word today that the V28 MG Chevy will not be available for the High Voltage Nationals. Though no fault of Milwaukee's John Zick who continues to push to get us back on the track, the logistics of a large corp. and the previous obligations for the car were too much. We are doubling our efforts to see this machine on the track in Hagerstown in June. We were hoping to at least be there nice, big, and red in the White Zombie's rear view but the racing season is still young....

Shawn "One Short" Lawless

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Worse still is that Li-Ion doesn't like overcharge, at all. If there's a charge imbalance you have a big problem.

Managing a large Li-Ion string is difficult, even without massive parallel cells. The normal charging algorithm IIRC is to apply a fixed voltage and wait for the current to decrease below a threshold. With more than a few cells the voltage difference between them makes it difficult to apply the needed fixed voltage.

Danny

Jeff Shanab wrote:

[...]

You know, I would love to use Lithium cells - the best appear to be the E-Molis,
a 144V 60AH pack would cost about US$8,500 - not cheap but they offer a big
advantage and I would more than likely pony up that money - the cells are 3Ah
and 10C rated (proven repeatedly in real life in RC apps ) hence, its a 600 amp
pack that can burst to 15C for 5 seconds (900 amps). The raw cells would weigh

78kg (170 lbs).

The problem - balancing 780 individual cells.

Currently trying to figure out how I'm going to balance 35 of them for a
e-scooter 7S5P so any thoughts on that would be very welcome!

Quoting Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Worse still is that Li-Ion doesn't like overcharge, at all.  If there's
> a charge imbalance you have a big problem.
>
> Managing a large Li-Ion string is difficult, even without massive
> parallel cells.  The normal charging algorithm IIRC is to apply a fixed
> voltage and wait for the current to decrease below a threshold.  With
> more than a few cells the voltage difference between them makes it
> difficult to apply the needed fixed voltage.
>
> Danny
>
> Jeff Shanab wrote:
>
> >Lithium batteries have a strick window of voltage in which you can't go
> >below(~3.2V risk of damage) or above (risk of damage,fire ~4.2V) and
> >when you put them in series, you need a battery management system to be
> >able to see this.
> >
> >They notoriously don't share in parallel to well, unless you can insure
> >equal temperature
> >
> >2150mah is 2.1Ah,but at what rate? lets assume 20hr which is the 50 Ah
> >orbital rate ( figure 34 ah in that orbital for 1 hr rate ) remembering
> >it is 12V, that would mean about 75 cells (25 *  3) cells per orbital or
> >7.3Lbs of cells (not bad!)  25 parallel strings of 94 would require 2350
> >balanceing modules!!
> >
> >AC Propulsion's idea was to take 49x4 cells welded in parallel with a
> >temp sensor buried in the middle and to BMS each of the modules,
> >http://www.acpropulsion.com/ACP_PDFs/EAASV_101803.pdf
> >
> >don't forget thundersky
> >http://www.everspring.net/product-battery.htm
> >
> >here is a bms http://www.metricmind.com/index1.htm
> >
> >and my favoite, kokam america
> >http://www.kokamamerica.com/
> >here they are in use
> >http://www.proev.com/

35 of which cell?  I have some ideas.

Here's my thoughts:
1. The string has a well regulated DC constant current drive on the whole string.
2.  There's a shunt reg on each battery with an adjustable voltage.
3. There's a current meter on the shunt leg. (String current) - (cell's shunt reg current)= (cell current). If the shunt is conducting, then it'll be far easier to read the lower current on that bypass shunt leg than read each cell current through the main high current power connections. Too much hardware and too much insertion loss. 4. We can realize the specified charging scheme by supplying current until all the batteries reach the specified charging voltage. Some batteries may have their shunt regs activated at this point. 5. For each cell, we read the current in the bypass leg and calculate the cell current. When it has fallen below the specified level, thus indicating full charge, we adjust the shunt voltage lower so it bypasses all the current and cell voltage falls to a point where it won't be charging or discharging. Once all cells are in this state the charger can shut off.

Currently trying to figure out how I'm going to balance 35 of them for a
e-scooter 7S5P so any thoughts on that would be very welcome!

Looks like it's in decent shape, even though the
seller is a bit clueless: I count 26 batteries (312V)
which are more than likely bad at this moment and no
way it is ever going to do 80 MPH (redline is 72) or
70 miles per charge on 70 Ah of batteries.
But for the price it is a very interesting deal,
including built-in Emeter and 3 chargers, two of
which Magnechargers!

Beats me why someone would shave doorhandles on a truck,
maybe on a racing 2-seater it would make a difference,
but on a truck?
What's next? Carbon-fiber hood?
Kind of putting deep dish rims on your garden tractor
or rust-bucket-daily-driver-beater, but I digress.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ4638014037QQrdZ1

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

John,

I am not sure that I understand which problem that you are
trying to solve here.
Please explain the problem in more detail (as the current
situation seems to work to satisfaction) and describe what
you want to add/change, how much that would cost and what
you try to save by adding/changing this function.
This may help you to judge if the solution has indeed a
problem that someone is trying to get rid of as well and
is willing to pay for.

Success,