  1) RE: Vectrix
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: AC vs. DC
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Motor Torque Testing and 1st 1000 miles with new low voltage (96v) AC
System.
        by "Peter Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Back from the (almost) High Voltage Nationals
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Whoops. Left the charger on
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Back from the (almost) High Voltage Nationals
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Brushless turnkey system available
  8) Re: A123 Systems sponsored KillaCycle
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: AC vs. DC
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: AC vs. DC
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Back from the (almost) High Voltage Nationals
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: AC vs. DC
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Brushless turnkey system available
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Vectrix
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) re:be careful what you ask for...
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Be careful what you wish for....
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Dump Charge Current
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: AC vs. DC
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Brushless turnkey system available
        by Tom Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: AC vs. DC
        by "Michael Neverdosky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Motor Torque Testing and 1st 1000 miles with new low voltage (96v) AC
System.
        by Steve O <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) More Prius PHEV trip data!
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Michael Perry wrote:

> Offtopic: If I recall, the Mini is about $14K in the UK...
> $25K here. That little BMW micro 2 seater was supposed to
> be around $12K. If I recall, it's about $14K in Canada and
> $23-30K in the US, in different versions of trim.

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid ;^>

According to <http://www.mini.ca>, your basic Mini starts at about
CAD$24k and tops out at nearly CDN$37k for a convertible Mini Cooper S.
Once you factor in the exchange, Canadian Mini prices, at least, are
pretty much in line with US prices.

--- Begin Message --- Agreed Chet ... I wasn't forgetting the other required amenities (batteries, tires, etc) ... merely trying to narrow down my focus. Once I've decided on the system then I'll chuck-down (as my thesis adviser use to beguile me) on the exact manufacture, model, etc. Regen would be a nice feature given the mountains of western North Carolina where I will be driving ... with respect to maintenance, I don't mind work in the least. In fact, by my very nature it's almost a requirement so that as an enduser I feel useful. This isn't to say I want something that breaks down on me ... I'm still a student (older, but none the less still a student) and like most can not afford unscheduled repairs.

For anyone wanting some good battery reading: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19940006456_1994006456.pdf

Chet Fields wrote:
--- "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thank you for your reply ... on with DC then! Until an AC system can compete more closely DC is the most practical decision for me.

Ok, so you are going to save a few thousand dollars and lose a little
efficiency, Regen and less maintenance.

Li Ion seems the way to go if it lives up to its promises ... here again price/quality will dictate my final decision.

But you are going to spends 10s of thousands more for the batteries and BMS
over the lifetime of the vehicle. (At least at current prices)

It sounds like a good motor/controller combination is the key to the materials of a successful project.

And Battery choice, and donor vehicle, and tires, and purpose of the vehicle
and ...

Just a quick update on my first 1000 miles with the new AC regen drive
system.   Background details at www.solarvan.co.uk.

The Zapi AC3 Regen system took a bit of getting used to, as it has very
close speed/throttle control, it's a bit like permanent cruise control!

http://www.solarvan.co.uk/ac3manual.pdf

You accelerate to a choosen speed, and then it holds the vehicle very
accurately (within about 2mph) of that speed, consuming more current uphill
or regenerating going downhill.   It does not allow coasting or over
speeding downhill unless you press the throttle further down, which is a
minor disadvantage.

That said I am very pleased, range is comparable with the DC system about 75
miles. (I have two less TS 200ah cells, now 28 v 30 in old DC system). My
vehicle uses 250wh per mile.

The biggest improvement is torque, acceleration and hill climbing ability.
I am a great advocate of not having a gearbox (I have never had one), and I
feel totally vindicated with this decision using the new AC drive.

With DC the vehicle would struggle to hill start on very steep hills, and
could overheat on long hills. Not so with AC.

http://www.solarvan.co.uk/adck914003.zip

The 12kw 96v "Best" Motor produces an amazing stump pulling 317nm or
233ft/lb of torque at 2hz using the Zapi AC3 Controller.

http://www.solarvan.co.uk/bestmotor.zip

I have deliberately driven it to all the steepest hills within range, and it
is not troubled at all! Some are 25% grade or 1 in 4.  I need to find
something steeper. It will basically go up any hill now at whatever speed
you batteries can provide current for!  If you try to go up at high speed,
current rises rapidly as the motor ramps up to the peak 450A trying to
maintain speed. I try not to hammer my batteries like this by adopting a
sort of crawler gear mentality.

When I approach a really steep hill, say 25% grade. I slow down to <15mph
like a large truck changing down to crawler gear. I go up at this speed and
current is very low <100A, much more reasonable. Everthing stays cooler and
is less stressed. It just needed a different mind set.  The air cooled motor
has never been above 50C even in very warm weather after climbing some
notorious local hills.

Going down the same hill at a safe speed produces a strong regen current of
75-100A for it's duration. No need to use the brakes at all. I love watching
the amp meter going +!

With more torque acceleration is much improved. Top speed can be
adjusted/limited with controller.

So I recommend this low voltage AC system for a local neighbourhood EV,
especially if you have lots of stop start town driving. I'm also confident
to recommend Thundersky Lithium Ion cells after 3 years with them. I would
never go back to pb again!

Regards

Peter Perkins.

Now were did I put the money for those super capacitors!

--- Begin Message --- Well, I'm back home from the almost race at Rt 66 Raceway. Of course, we were disappointed not to race, but we made the best of it. We really enjoyed talking shop with the other hard-core EV drag racers.

We got a great write-up in the Chicago Herald, even though we didn't run.

<http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/sports/4_2_jo13_electric_s2.asp>http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/sports/4_2_jo13_electric_s2.asp

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/sports/4_2_jo13_electric_s1.asp

Electrifying Times also ran a few pictures from the test session on the 26th:

<http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/a123/KillaCycle.html>http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/a123/KillaCycle.html

We ran 9.024 @ 139 MPH at the test session. The bike was set at a modest power setting for these test runs. It should go even faster when we turn it up to maximum HP.

We are going to take the bike to Bandimere in the coming weeks. We haven't pinned an exact date down, but we will keep you posted.

        Bill Dube'

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Tonight, after charging the Prizm with the Magnecharger I figured I'd plug in the Dolphin to 110 volts and let it equalize a bit with the regs in place. The Dolphin is currently programmed to charge at 2a up to 380 volts.

Forgot about it and came back 3 hours later. Interestingly enough, the car was reading 367 volts with a charge rate of 2amps. If the regs were working at full steam, they would be dissipating 1.2 amps (2 strings), leaving .8a to go somewhere...

Out of curiousity, where was that .8a going? .4a to each string? Into some less charged batteries? Would the car ever get to 375 volts with the regs on the batteries?

Just a bit curious about the philosophy here.

Wow, awesome time! That's faster than your old world record by about
0.5 seconds, and the Lithiums weren't even breathing hard yet!

So why was the final speed so much lower with a faster ET? (139 vs.
151 mph)

--- "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We ran 9.024 @ 139 MPH at the test session. The bike was set at a
> modest power setting for these test runs. It should go even faster
> when we turn it up to maximum HP.

--- Begin Message --- No doubt that DC systems are cost effective. You have to ask yourself why most manufacturers go AC. Probably safety. Regen is very good braking. No brushes to wear out. A little more effecient. I don't have all the answers. People seem to pay more for them and think they are getting something better. Lawrence Rhodes....... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cor van de Water" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>