  1) Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: How to attach battery rack to firewall
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) Re: AC vs. DC
        by Cory Cross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV Copyright Infringement running rampant
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Looking for C or D size NiMh batteries
        by "a.k. howard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Front-Wheel or Rear-Wheel Drive
        by Wayne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) g'bye Porsche
        by michael bearden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Donor Car Recommendations for EV Conversion
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re:  Other Hybrids  Honda Insight
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Looking for C or D size NiMh batteries
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: AC vs. DC [long]
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: AC vs. DC
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Fw: Vectrix
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re:  Other Hybrids  Honda Insight
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: AC vs. DC
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Front-Wheel or Rear-Wheel Drive
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: AC vs. DC
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Front-Wheel or Rear-Wheel Drive
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: EV Copyright Infringement running rampant
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Interesting article on EVs in Dan's Data
        by "Mark Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!
        by Edward Kellogg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: g'bye Porsche
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---

On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:59, Cor van de Water wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks for clarifying your numbers and assumptions.

If Toyota is smart (and when looking at what they did
with the Prius, I have an idea about that) then the
sale price of a RAV4 EV should have been very close if not above
the manufacturing cost.

The Prius program is an entirely different ball of wax. Because it is market driven. And it is a market that Toyota created - prior to the Prius, there was no demand for a hybrid - plug in or otherwise. It was always intended to be profitable.

The RAV4 was a response to regulatory extortion. Build and put on the road x number of evs or lose the ability to sell in your largest single market. Leasing and selling at huge losses (well, not really a loss, because the purchasers of other Toyota products actually paid the subsidy) made sense against the cost of losing California. But only in that case.

I know that the US automakers are contantly monitoring their
competitors and have often exclaimed that they do not want to
go into Hybrids, because they are convinced that Toyota is
making a loss on every Prius sold - by their books & politics.

And that was certainly true while they were claiming that, but it was really an excuse for getting beaten in engineering and marketing. Toyota had the cash reserves from being highly profitable to invest in a competitive advantage.

The first response by the competitors was to decry that advantage as unfair. Now they are busy playing follow the leader and are all rushing to offer hybrids themselves, now. Ford's is essentially a Toyota drive train - and putting more money in Toyotas bank account.

In the mean time, Toyota is continuing their investment
(and yes, that ALWAYS constitues an initial loss) in providing
Hybrid drive for every model in their program.

Here I am going to argue the other way - initial investment is small, and I would bet that each of these models is sold at a hefty profit marginally. The product is already from a profitable program, now there are minor tooling costs to fit the exact same technology into other vehicles, so they are gaining economy of scale and improving their manufacturing processes, etc.

Since their financial situation is stellar, they would not
be eager to do this if it did not make financial sense.

I am aware that this is an assumption of mine, so there may
be a truth that is different, but Toyota's own financial
statements have indicated that they have reached the break-even
point with the Prius some years ago, so let's assume their
financial guys are capable.

Absolutely I agree. Their bean counters are at least as capable as their engineers and their marketers. Overall they are an exceptional organization, and it is no coincidence they will soon overtake GM as the largest producer of cars and trucks in the world.

So - back to your last statement - "it is a bad investment".
That depends heavily on your expectations.
Looking only 1 or 3 months into the future, a lot of things
that could be considered bad investments were only the start
of a highly profitable curve. You would only find that out
by executing it and a vision that stretches many years into
the future is necessary to get such a project rolling.
Otherwise every bean counter will immediately shut you down.

No bean counter is going to set a 3 month horizon for breakeven or profitability. But if we are to credit them for having the savvy to do a correct ROI analysis on the Prius and hybrid technology, then let us also credit them for having done so on the RAV4 EV - and that the results were negative, no matter how much your personal desire that it be otherwise. I mean, consider that the RAV4 EV, smaller, less powerful, shorter ranged, less well optioned, and less presitigious - was priced in 2002 at about the price of a Lexus 400h today. Seriously, how much of a market do you think there is to get less for more? You might do the fuel cost analysis and show that in the long run, the RAV4 EV is cheaper, but then compare it to a rx330 at 35k and you would have a harder time making the case, or a gas RAV at 25k and you wouldn't be able to make it at all. And while manufacturers do ROI analysis, consumers don't - else noone would buy a new car at all!! :)

I am afraid that is exactly what happened when the CARB
mandate in California was changed....

No, what happened was that once again, central planning failed to allocate resources efficiently. Removal of the mandate caused the end of uneconomic behavior. And allowed manufacturers - in this case Toyota - to pursue technologies that improve the situation - better gas mileage, even if just incrementally, in the 10-20% range - in a broader range of vehicles.

On another note:
I see people putting $60 gas in their truck and because it
only gets 11 MPG they have to repeat this every 200 miles.
(the popular Dodge RAM 1500)
In other words: when their vehicle hits 100,000 miles
they have invested $30,000 in gas alone.
With electric, driving for 3c per mile you have $27,000
more in the bank after 100,000 miles
(not even counting what you save in regular maintenance)
so by that time the RAV4 EV price is not so extravagant
any more. You could even afford a battery replacement
from the money you did not "surrender to big oil"....

True enough, but as I said, consumers don't do ROI.
Interestingly enough, one of my weekly reads is www.autoextremist.com - I am a car guy first - and he is down on hybrids. First, the hybrid is not what it was originally hyped to be, as the gains are simply incremental. He is pro-Detroit, and thinks - I agree - that for Detroit to follow Toyota down the hybrid path is a loser. A Mercury Mariner hybrid enriches Toyota probably as much as Ford, and while GM and Ford are busy getting economy models - already a low margin business - hybridized, Toyota is already selling top of the line models - high margin - as hybrids.

The way for Detroit to return to increasing market share is to lead, not follow in technology - and his prescription is, believe it or not, battery (and fuel cell) electric vehicles! This is a guy who thinks the 500hp Z06 is the best car in the world, and he thinks electrics are where Detroit should invest.

I am skeptical of the market for it, but if technology can create a 200 mi range real world car (4 or 5 passengers with cargo capacity) can be sold at the price of, say an Impala - 25k or so - he just might be right.
Hi Ken,

I don't think you us should do it that way. My Batteries set over the front
frame as it is. I have a vw rabbit pickup with similar parts. If you are
putting your
batteries in the back you need a frame that can set down over the shock towers.
I just added a pic to the evalbum(http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/742) with my
hood up from this weekend.

Bob Salem

> My conversion of a Scirocco has reached the point of installing the  battery
> rack in the front. I need to bolt it to the firewall. What is  the
> recommended method of attachment. I've looked at nutserts but can't  get the
> installation tool to all the locations.
>
>   Using lead acid, it's heavy when loaded. Do I need to reinforce the
> firewall?
>
>   Thanks
>
>   Ken
>

> ---------------------------------
> New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save
> big.

Hello Victor (and others),

Victor Tikhonov wrote:
parameters connected to them? Or have integrated DC-DC converters?
Or at least built in software fixed model of the motor attached to it?

I suspect a DC controller doesn't care what motor it is feeding, so
can't optimize efficiency or stay away from dangerous for the motor
values. Not the voltages/currents you can limit, but something
like prevent rotor saturation while maximizing power for given
temp. But what the heck, we got kW, it makes up for lack of
fine details like that, right?

I'm not the expert, but a series DC motor does not need to be protected against rotor saturation, nor does its controller need to do anything beyond overtemperature, overcurrent, or overspeed detection. The rotor and stator field are intrinsically orthogonal, so the controller could not change this and does not need to maintain this (which is where all the expense in AC controls comes from). Nor does the controller try to maximize efficiency at a given temperature, because it is intrinsically!

No DC-DC, however. (IIRC)

...snip...
Here is a pair that is as close a match as I can come up with.

AC:
one of your drive systems set to 280 battery amps
(312 volt system of X ah, not included in cost.)
Cost: ??

Let's take MES-DEA system, more amps and more volts allowed.
325A RMS, 400V, $3,826 (inverter alone). The motors
of about the same power $3.5k. So, say $7.5k a system.

Yes, more dollars so what? You paid for what you get.

I think you could stress reliability -- has Siemens released details on the expected mean time to failure? has Otmar?

DC:
Zilla Z1K-LV set to 560 battery amps
(156 volt system of 2X ah, not included in cost.)

ADC 8 inch motor

But it's not the same as liquid cooled high speed AC motor.

If it puts out the same power, then yes, it may as well be the same.

2, SW-200 contactors

Far from the same as railroad reliability grade Schaltbau contactors
(http://www.schaltbau-gmbh.com/) we use

Curtis pot box

Compared with Bosch throttle sensor? You've got to be kidding.

Those things are what really make the difference. With EVs, we're already talking about the amortized cost -- how long are your components going to last?

Cory Cross

At 10:10 AM 5/17/2006, you wrote:
Hey All,

Just an FYI.

Be on the lookout for scammers who are selling bogus "How to build your
own EV" publications on Ebay. These people are obviously trying to take
advantage of the higher gas prices by selling OUR copyrighted
intellectual material.

An alert EVer has informed me that someone has lifted the "Build an EV"
section off the EVA/DC website and is selling it for $4.99 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/How-To-Build-An-Electric- Car_W0QQitemZ9518340671QQcategoryZ47103QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZView Item

He found this out when he suspected the same guy stole his stuff. He's
going to send me a PDF file of it so I can see what was lifted.

I guess the lesson that can be learned for this is to copyright your
stuff and watermark your pictures or illustrations.

Copyrights - like patents - only grant you the right to spend money on lawyers to protect them. If you haven't got the money for the lawyers, they are pretty worthless.

Shari Prange
Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

From: Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Looking for C or D size NiMh batteries
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 07:33:15 -0700 (PDT)

I'm looking for high temp (65C ambient) NiMh
batteries.
Probaby 50-200 pieces.
Anybody have a link for sources?
(not necessarily for an EV.)
Thanks,
Rod

 http://www.rabbittool.com/

 http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=217

 Reagrds, A.K. Howard. Las Vegas, NV.

Details!  Argh!  Details!

I'm still puzzling over the donor vehicle...I've my eyes now loosely fixed on either a 1993 Mustang or 1990 Celica. I'm leaning towards the Mustang if only because of its boxy shape (less wasted space filling a box with boxes rather than filling a drum with boxes).

Besides the Mustang outweighing the Celica by 325 lbs another immediate significant difference between the two is the drive train; the Mustang has a longitudinal front engine, rear-wheel drive whilst the Celica has a transverse front engine, front-wheel drive.

I've long been under the impression that front wheel drive is more efficient in getting power to the wheels than its rear-wheel drive brethren. If this is true then the Celica gains favor.

Any thoughts or preferences between FWD vs RWD in an EV sense?

Wayne White

If those of us who "can", "do" then those of us who "can't" won't suffer as much from the high prices of excess.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I tried to post this earlier today..don't know if it went through, so if you've already seen/read this...sorry...

Hello EV’ers...it’s been a long time since I have been able to be a part of this discussion list. I have been overwhelmed with demands on my time since I left my career type job at the University in 2003, and have not been able to keep up with routine e-mails, much less the traffic on the EVDL. I have been having a great EV time though driving the slick 914 conversion that I bought from Brian Hall last year; a real attention getter and conversation-starter…until last Sunday morning, when it was the 5 AM wake up call for our rural neighborhood when it went up in flames very spectacularly. This EV had a really nice custom fiberglass body, and that stuff burned big time. On the side of “This is Bad, but it could have been (much) Worse”, I had been having a problem with the shift linkage and couldn’t get it into reverse, which is the only reason it was parked OUTSIDE of the garage. Inside of the garage were two other vehicles ( the Gogomobil and our Civic Hybrid) and every tool I own (which is quite a few…If the Porsche had been inside, no one would have known about the fire until the whole garage was totally involved. So, give thanks where appropriate.

I had driven the EV Saturday, and charged it when I returned, thinking that I was going to drive it Saturday night and Sunday morning, but then plans changed, and I took another car Saturday night. So, it wasn’t plugged in, and it wasn’t moving.

The arson investigator couldn’t find any cause for the fire, and I was way puzzled until Brian came over on Monday and said that he had talked to Roderick (Wilde) who said he remembers one other time this happened to an EV with Optimas (which I had). One cell reversed, and turned into a very hungry resistor/heat sink which caused the destruction of the EV. This makes sense to me, since the origin of the fire that the investigator pointed out to me was where the weakest two batteries were (the next two to be replaced).

I have been working my way through the 32 YT’s that I salvaged out of the wreck of WATTABMR in 2003, and they have been lasting nicely thanks to Rich and Joes’ continued development of the regulator technology.

Anyway, thoughts on this: my garage/shop is separated from the house by a pretty good distance…what if it was underneath living quarters (as many garages are)?

Are AGMs uniquely susceptible to this, or is this a potential problem for other types of batteries?

Michael B (accomplished Chef of Porsche Flambe’)

> You're pushing the envelope.  Need to stick to gas for
> a few more years:
> 1)  _Really_ check your commuting distance.  Few
> commuter cars can pack enough lead in them to get you
> the 75, though some may get you the 50, depending on
> speed.  I could sit in I-5 traffic all-day, and use
> 1/2 the pack going the 25 mi. I needed from Irvine to
> Mission Viejo years ago.  (;-p
> 2)  A/C is up to 1/3 of your juice.  Take the 50 mi.
> and subtract 1/3, to see how bad you need it.  I've
> cut a hole in my Civvy to let convection do the work,
> and my Oregon summers are in the low 100s on most
> days.

The harsh reality is that some people may not be ready to drive EVs,
at least with their present limitations. People are used to flooring
it from a stop, driving much faster than is efficient, and owning much
heavier, un-aerodynamic vehicles than neccessary.

I know a few who read this list have Insights so this
message is directed at them... Mine Has 110,000 mi on
it now and the state of charge bars are indicating
that the storage capacity of my 144v battery is going
down--ie it goes from full charge to empty much sooner
than it used to... it also goes from 1 or 2 bars to
full charge quicker than normal... long and short I
think it is time to change the batt...Honda wants lots
of money for the swap...$3000 I went to a junk yard
and got a batt and the complete charge control
computer both for $500... of coarse I know nothing
about the condition of these used parts...does anyone
have a service manual and or ideas as to where I can
find info about testing and swaping ...or maybe I will
be able to paralell the two packs... anyone have any
experiance or advice...  The motor still runs good or
I would think about making it all electric???
suggestions???

--- Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tom, supposedly the Sienna rolls off a hybrid in
> '07,
> and yes, indications (buzz on the web) says it will
> be
> the same as the Camry.
>

> --- Tom Shay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Toyota is or is planning to offer other hybrids
> > besides the Prius.
> > I've read about Highlander, Camry and Lexus
> hybrids.
> >  Do the
> > Highlander, Camry and Lexus hybrids share the
> Prius
> > drive system?
> >

> Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
> has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch
> too!
> Learn more at:
> www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
>                         ____
>                      __/__|__\ __
>   =D-------/    -  -         \
>                      'O'-----'O'-'
> Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came
> out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas
> for your kids?

> protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com

> >I'm looking for high temp (65C ambient) NiMh
> >batteries.
> >Probaby 50-200 pieces.
> >Anybody have a link for sources?
> >(not necessarily for an EV.)
> >Thanks,
> >Rod
>
>   http://www.rabbittool.com/
>
>   http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=217
>
>   Reagrds, A.K. Howard. Las Vegas, NV.

Too bad the max d/c rate is 3C...at least that is what BatterySpace lists.

Arthur W. Matteson wrote:
> No.  The diodes are there to start with.  For a properly-operating
> inverter with IGBTs, they conduct for half of the time.

You are assuming one particular inverter circuit (the 6-transistor,
6-diode fullwave bridge). But there are *many* inverter circuits. Not
all of them require all these parts. Some use fewer power semiconductors
(and some use even more)!

Look up classic inverter circuits, and you will find dozens of basic
types (and hundreds of variations).

> If MOSFETs are used, conduction is possible in two directions but
> for limited current, so diodes are still necessary.

MOSFETs happen to naturally have a parasitic diode across them that is
there whether you like it or not. Unfortunately, it isn't a very good
diode. It's not particularly fast, nor does it have a particularly low
forward drop. It's not uncommon to put a real diode in antiparallel for
better performance (if your circuit needs an antiparallel diode).

IGBTs do not naturally have an antiparallel diode. If your circuit needs
this diode, you have to add it as a separate diode in its own package,
or buy a more expensive part where the manufacturer has added an
internal diode for you. If you look inside an IGBT module, you'd see
that these diodes are separate chips, wired internally in antiparallel
with the IGBT chips. In other words, having them there adds cost.

> Avoiding regen adds software, from the lowest standpoint. It is
> unavoidable (AFAIK) on a simple V/Hz control. It does NOT double
> the amount of control logic, unless the programmer is doing
> something extremely strange or inefficient.

Most brushless DC (i.e. synchronous AC with an inverter) motors don't
even use a micro. They use the minimum amount of hardware to do the job.
Guess what... no regen.

Likewise for most stepper motor type applications. They don't include
regen unless it is absolutely necessary, because it adds cost and
complexity.

> Personal experiences... Power silicon and/or capacitors are the most
> expensive pieces of my working AC controller.

Exactly! You are using the same "high road" circuits as the auto
company's EV AC controllers. Therefore, you wind up with the same high
cost in silicon and other parts, and the same long steep learning curve.

> The simplest form of any smooth AC control is a variable-frequency,
> variable-amplitude sine wave (or three out of phase).

Is it? :-)

The 3-phase sinewave motor is an elegant, sophisticated way to do it. It
fits in nicely with the decades of evolution in AC sinewave
line-operated motors.

But, producing nice clean sinewaves efficiently from a battery is a
horrendously difficult problem. And that, my friends, leads to expensive
solutions.

DC motors and controllers are cheaper and simpler because they didn't
take this approach. They look at the job to be done, and seek the best
way to implement it ("best" meaning the best compromise between cost,
performance, efficiency, and other factors).

> An AC controller without a microprocessor is very comparable to a DC
> system's contactor controller: jerky.

Again; no it's not.

Please don't think I'm just being disagreeable. I'm really trying to
make quite an important point:

        It is pride and hubris to think that we know all there is
        to know about AC EV controllers, and that the best solution
        has already been discovered and implemented by the auto
        company EVs.

Notice that *all* the successful applications where DC-powered AC motors
have replaced DC brushed motors have used *different* topologies and
motor types than the auto companies used! That should be a hint!

Stefan Peters wrote:
> Is there a possibility of using a basic AC controller, typically used
> for some other application, in an EV conversion?
> If so, where would be a good place to start hunting?

Sure. There is hope for converting an inexpensive industrial
variable-speed AC motor controller into an EV controller. It would
involve replacing the small transistor with bigger ones, and tweaking
things to "fool" it into working with a different (larger) motor.

> Are you aware that the Vectrix is a *scooter*, not a motorcycle?
>
> The proper comparison is between the Vectrix and other sit-down,
> Vespa-esque styled scooters, typically of 250cc or so displacement, not
> half-litre sportbikes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger.

Potential EV riders *know* they will be paying a lot more so they can
run on electrons, and should know they'll have to deal with some
limitations. For comparison, a 150cc, 4-stroke Bajaj -
http://www.bajajusa.com/Bajaj%20Chetak.htm - tops out over 55mph, gets
over 100mpg, and costs under $3000. With a Vectrix running $8000USD,
they're in 2 different markets. Too bad the Lectra got murdered by ZAP
before we got to see what Larry Cronk could have done with lithium
packs and further development of the VR system.

I read something on another list about the Insight and the older HCHs going
through some kind of battery calibration mode that caused the symptoms you
describe.

--- keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I know a few who read this list have Insights so this
> message is directed at them... Mine Has 110,000 mi on
> it now and the state of charge bars are indicating
> that the storage capacity of my 144v battery is going
> down--ie it goes from full charge to empty much sooner
> than it used to... it also goes from 1 or 2 bars to
> full charge quicker than normal... long and short I
> think it is time to change the batt...Honda wants lots
> of money for the swap...$3000 I went to a junk yard
> and got a batt and the complete charge control
> computer both for $500... of coarse I know nothing
> about the condition of these used parts...does anyone
> have a service manual and or ideas as to where I can
> find info about testing and swaping ...or maybe I will
> be able to paralell the two packs... anyone have any
> experiance or advice...  The motor still runs good or
> I would think about making it all electric???
> suggestions???
>
> --- Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Tom, supposedly the Sienna rolls off a hybrid in
> > '07,
> > and yes, indications (buzz on the web) says it will
> > be
> > the same as the Camry.
> >

> > --- Tom Shay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Toyota is or is planning to offer other hybrids
> > > besides the Prius.
> > > I've read about Highlander, Camry and Lexus
> > hybrids.
> > >  Do the
> > > Highlander, Camry and Lexus hybrids share the
> > Prius
> > > drive system?
> > >

> > Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
> > has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch
> > too!
> > Learn more at:
> > www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
> >                       ____
> >                      __/__|__\ __
> >   =D-------/    -  -         \
> >                      'O'-----'O'-'
> > Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came
> > out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas
> > for your kids?

> > protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

> http://mail.yahoo.com

I agree ... so long as the necessities are listed, then the optionals.

Thanks,

Ralph.

Jeff Shanab wrote:
As I look at it, all motors run on AC. (with one impractical exception)
Some are *internally commutated* and some are *externally comutated. *

The induction motor ends up haveing a very low electrical frequency in
the rotor because you have to subtract the mechanical frequency. This
dictates a high turns ratio between the stator and the armature when
viewed as a transformer. (the secondary voltage is quite low).  A low
frequency, high turns transformer would be huge for higher amps, with
larger wire, and would just melt the rotor anyway. The need for a smooth
rotating magnetic field causes this primary to be distributed and this
gives a high amount of turns. We end up useing the smallest wire that
gives us a high turns that can handle a good amps. This becomes a high
resistance(relative to dc commutated motor) and this dictates the higher voltage at a lower amps as being the defacto standard.

Since induction motors have a basically flat torque profile, peaking
just before "breakdown torque and have reduced torqe at start, and there
is less of a penalty with high rpm, it is just natural to run em fast
and gear them down.

The Induction motor is rotor limited,except the wound rotor with slip
energy recovery, it can have dc like starting torque with less amps than
all listed here, it is the cannonical induction motor from which
squirl-cage is a  single instance of.
The series wound DC motor is commutator limited

Permanent magnet motors are field limited. but without induction are
much,much simpler to control. It is like a sep-ex with field control
locked down at one point. This also gives them a sharp effiency point.

All are availability limited.

The one statement that gets my goat in all this is the claim the
induction motors are simpler and cheaper. That is the quote I would like
removed until an example can be offered. Not yet have I seen an AC
induction motor suitable for EV use with such a "cheaper" price tag. If
you are gonna say "They never meant to be a basic systems, they meant to
be feature
rich systems. So why should they be as cheap as basic one? " then don't
also say "Most commonly used AC induction motor - in general simpler
construction and lower cost than comparable power most common series DC
motor. "

I would like to add however that I know understand why AC drives are
sold with the motors.  Or why a lot of inverter/motor combinations are
only sold as a unit.  It is in the realtime math that uses the
inductance and mutual inductance in the equations along with the
amperage,angular volocity and calculated slip % to calculate the
commutation frequency  and PWM freq(for voltage) hundreds of times per
rotation. This usually is done with a dedicated DSP having only
parameter changes for a limited range of operation. As new designs
emerge, this is becoming less and less of an issue, the dsp's nolonger
have to be burned to get the speed needed, they can be flashed.

I think we need to create an AC vs DC page that we can reference. Update as products become avail and refine into an unbiased infromation
source.  not that the ac vs dc debate isn't the most fun I have had
without getting shocked.

John Norton wrote:
> I doubt that even the ones sold were even incrementally profitable.
> The leases all had to be a loss. The battery pack alone was more
> than the difference in a gas and electric RAV4, forget about the R&D
> and tooling costs involved, spread over a run of 1200 or so vehicles.

Your're still trying to say that a car (any car) has to be profitable
even if you only sell 1200 of them. That's a ridiculously small number
to amortize your development costs over. That attitude is why American
businesses are losing out to the competition.

Of course the batteries were expensive; they only ordered 1200 of them.
These weren't some slight modification of an off-the-shelf product; they
were full-custom designs, solely for their EVs. There is no way that
1200 of them was enough to pay off the development costs.

In contrast, when Honda and Toyota started building their hybrids, they
used standard "D" size nimh batteries. And, they ordered them in much
larger quantities; something like 50,000 pack the first year.

> The EV would not have existed at all without the CARB mandate

Sure they would. EVs existed before the CARB mandate was ever written,
and they are still being built after the mandate ended. The mandate
certainly encouraged the *auto companies* to produce EVs; but it
provided zero incentive for anyone else!

I don't think Toyota considered the RAV4-EV a failure per se; more
likely, they considered it a successful learning experiment. They then
went on to their hybrids, which are even more complex and expensive, but
were likely to be more successful at making money.

Transverse engines are more efficent, as their final gear does not have the
losses associated with the crown and pinion of a typical front engine/rear
wheel drive car.  If you want faster off the line acceleration, rear wheel
drive is superior, because as the car accelerates the weight shifts to the
rear, giving more traction to the rear wheels.

Don

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

[...]

There is (beside the price tag) one thing I dislike on ac systems, though
just personal gut feeling. I don't like the idea of having everything so
closely linked together, kind of like the old 'all-in-one' phono system.
If any part fails, you have to wait for repairs. In a dc system, you just
get a replacement component and be done with.

What I miss on dc systems is regen. And it strikes me as odd, that nobody
came up with a solution for that. Like a second set of brushes or even a
small(er) generator that could be mounted to either end of an, say,
advanced dc motor to produce a few amps on braking.

Michaela

Don't forget the Mustang's V8 is much heavier than a Celica 4
cylinder, so you can make up some or even most of the 325 lbs
difference. I'd imagine this is still true for the six.

I don't know about Celicas, but there are a gob of race parts for the
Mustang, lots of stuff to lighten them.

--- Wayne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ... Besides the Mustang outweighing the Celica by 325 lbs ...

Like the guy that was selling references to Myers motors.
Have not seen him in a while.
It happens all the time, often you can find the stuff online,
if you just try. If not, you may decide to pay for the "service"
but I agree that selling found stuff is not a honorable business.

You could see if he indeed sold this stuff before,
then contact each of the winners from the last 30 days
and tell them to request a refund because he is selling
copyrighted material.
That would hurt his business case real bad and you can
easily and quickly do this with a standard email referencing
your site and original (free) material; finding his past auctions
is an easy task as well...

Or expect that he will run out of steam real fast and just ignore
him - he is making pocket money and drawing attention to EV's...
Good for him.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com