  1) Re: g'bye Porsche
        by michael bearden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Fans in parallel
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) generator
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: Kalifornia .... registering conversions
        by "Edward Ang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: g'bye Porsche
        by Andrew Letton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) EV Range Records
        by Dave Stensland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Aerodynamics
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Things that make you go Hmmm (was Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!)
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) AC motor/inverter power ratings
        by Steve Gaarder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Any useful parts from generators?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dana Havranek)
 12) Re: 200 miles highway range on flooded lead acid: Is it possible?
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Fans in parallel
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: g'bye Porsche
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) KillaCycle and Battery Boy
        by Dave Stensland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Source for NiFe batteries (Was: Question about NIMH patent(s))
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Regen-ask a Prius owner
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Fans in parallel
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Baylor)
 21) Re: EV safety
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Things that make you go Hmmm (was Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!)
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Regen-ask a Prius owner
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Three-wheel Go-cart
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Fw: Vectrix - Now Belt verses Chain verses Shaft drive types
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Fw: Vectrix - Now Belt verses Chain verses Shaft drive types
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Actually, the 192v buddy pairs were in WATTABMR..The Porsche was 20 Optimas in a single series-240v. My real question now, is this peculiar to AGMs, or to Optimas or is this something that could happen in any series pack? I had a main disconnect breaker, and a mid-pack fuse, neither of which seemed to slow down the self destruction. The breaker actually partially melted, and I can't find the fuse in the wreckage.
Michael B.

Cor van de Water wrote:

Michael,

Very sorry to hear about your loss.
But indeed you have been spared a much worse fate...

I seem to recall you were using buddy-paired YTs.
(32 batteries in paralleled pairs, 16 x 12V = 192V series)
Could that have been an issue?
Normally if a car is not driven/charged, no current is flowing unless one string/buddy pair is shorting out, then the parallel battery/string suddenly does see a path to send current!
No fuses of disconnects on >every< battery, so this is
typically an unlimited situation, where you will see
full short-circuit amps, typically around 3000, resulting
in up to 40 kW power production in one battery.
Not to mention the battery cable temp...

Frankly, with all the discussions we have about the twin
strings in the US Electricars getting very short battery
life, this is an additional and very serious reason to avoid parallel battery configurations if they are not
individually managed/protected.

Sorry you had to find this failure in such a destructive test.

Blessings,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

From: "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I noticed one of these the other day:
>
> http://www.kohlerpowersystems.com/onsite/onsite_diesel_all.html
>
> Is that an 11" or 13" motor in that picture?
>
> I imagine these large generator motors are more common and plentiful
> then large forklift motors?  Could these housings and armatures, ect,
> be of use to us as a source of parts?
>
> Does Warfield Electric manufacture anything?  Who exactly makes the
> motor housings, field coils, DE/CE ends, armatures, etc?  Who
> currently makes these parts new?

Yes, the Red Beastie concept could be improved on a little, but
should it be?  I think Beastie was an interesting demonstration
of what can be accomplished by stuffing more batteries into a
pickup truck.  It isn't a practical electric vehicle.  As I recall, it
weighed 5300 lbs without occupants or payload.  Of what use
is a pickup truck that is already 1000 lbs overloaded  before
adding occupants or payload?
I wonder if anyone has built a copy of Beastie or if she's one of
a kind?

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>