  1) Re: Deciding on paint scheme's for the Saturn, comments
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: MOSFETs vs. IGBTs
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Taperlock dilemma
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: O.T. Mind your Letter Capitalization .. and grammar
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Lock Huges .. this is a very different thingy !    :-))
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) [OT]  Re: Reminder: Mind your Letter Capitalization .. and word joining ..
mind that too ;-)
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Deciding on paint scheme's for the Saturn
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) re: reminder: mind your letter capitalization
        by Travis Raybold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) [OT]   Re: Reminder: Mind your Letter Capitalization .. end of posts on
this .. a small clarification .. top posting or not ?
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Car color
        by "Mark Grasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: battery suggestions
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: MOSFETs vs. IGBTs
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: 12V Weight
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Reminder: Mind your Letter Capitalization
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: reminder: mind your letter capitalization
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) A NEW (old) one
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
 20) Re: Car color
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Deciding on paint scheme's for the Saturn
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Deciding on paint scheme's for the Saturn
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: g'bye Porsche, need to clear up a point
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Taperlock dilemma
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: O.T. Mind your Letter Capitalization .. and grammar
        by "torich1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) ADC 6.7-inch Voltage Limit
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "nikki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I have read all of these posts with interest.

me too .. it was rather 'disturbing' to read emails and business
mails from sellers on ebay .. check this out :

'your right' ..
this is not about an rights or duties .. it meant " you are right"

' we except checks' ..
this is not about payments in any form 'except' checks
this is not about checks and balances ..
this is about "we accept cheques"

took me an awful long time to figure out that this new
way was soooo widespread that correcting it is impossible

i learnt to live with it

about capitalization .. all caps means screaming on emails ..
all smalls is almost 'standard' ..
the first letter of any word AFTER a full stop is always to
start with a capital letter ..

but with the newer keyboard based inputting methods on pc's
newer 'punctuation' marks aka simleys and newer ways of
communicating emotions and feelings have become widely
accepted

we can concentrate on trying to be perfect in our grammar
and punctuations, capitalisations and verb constructs ..
or .. more 'normally' .. sadly for sure .. we can 'accept'
the 'exceptions' and understand their 'excellent' ideas born
out of their very valuable experience and expertise.

maybe we can allow a bit more 'flexibiltiy' in groups ..

this is an entirely personal thing

..peekay

: - ))

this is a very different thingy ! it is very very strange that humans can
make sense out of absolute nonsense ! .. the words have to start
and end with the correct letters .. and the letters between the first
and last letters can be juxtaposed in just about any combination

and yet, they make sense ! .. the 'mind' or 'brain' is able to
"interpret" the correct meaning of the wrongly spelt words !

thanks lock .. this came to my mind, but in my 'new member'
status and 54yr age 'wisdom' i didn't actually 'dare' to write
about it

..peekay

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> This whole discussion of how to compose messages is distracting to the
threads
> purpose.

i feel so too .. this is not really relevant to things EV ..

so i'll desist from participating in this any more

peekay

i do request list owner/admins to clear up one thing :
which works better here (is the rule for this list) ?
replying above relevant portions (after deleting other parts)
OR
replying below relevant portions

(the first option is called 'top posting' and is a no-no in many lists)

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I bought a blue car because I thought electricity was blue. All the big sparks I've seen in my life were blue. Am I wrong about this?

Mark Grasser
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Except, I think you meant lightning bolts.

Of course, if you know of a source for lightening bolts, please let us in on it. They would be the cats's meow for
offsetting the weight of batteries.

;-)

--
[...]

I'm confused -- what does this have to do with taper locks?

Michael Perry wrote:
I just pulled the McNair batts from my new Chinese (McCullough) lawnmower.
Interesting that they were DOA, w/ apparently no warranty.

I could use some advice as to what to put back in. These are RB-FM-12V-18Ah.
For now, I've mounted a pair of my (very old) Hawkers in place, but it'd be
nice to go back up to 18Ah, from the current 12. (Interesting batts, those
Hawkers. Over 6 years old and never missed a lick.)

Brad Baylor wrote:
> How about current ratings? Also design in a 100% safety margin?

I had an opportunity to look inside a Soleq EVCort EV controller. This
is a very high quality unit built around 1995. Many of these vehicles
are still on the road and working today.

The controller is air cooled by a finned heatsink about 24" x 14" x 2".
The heatsink forms one side of a waterproof gasketed metal box about 8"
thick.

It uses metal-cased hermetically sealed transistors; not the cheaper
plastic parts that are so common. These are TO-3 (diamond-shaped)
packages. The transistors are mounted on twelve metal L-brackets, each
with twenty TO-3 transistors (240 altogether)! At 400 amps, that means
each one switches Each transistor has a fusible 0.07 ohm emitter
resistor to enforce current sharing, and a 27 ohm fusible resistor in
the base so if one transistor fails, it takes itself out of the circuit
and the rest continue to work.

Each 20-transistor L-bracket appears to be wired as a half-bridge; half
pulling up, and half pulling down. Two of the twelve brackets may be
used as a full bridge to handle the field. That leaves 10 transistors x
10 L-brackets = to handle 400 amps, or 10 amps per transistor.

The transistors don't have standard numbers (they are marked with the
designer, Mr. Ohba's name!. But from the size and circuit, I'd guess
they are rated around 300v and 30a; so he used about a 3:1 safety
factor.

That's pretty conservative... but it works!

"Paul G." wrote:
> I don't think you will able to measure the loss of range on the street
> for things that add or subtract 5% (or less) to a vehicles weight.

You can measure a 5% change with good instruments and careful technique.
But I agree that "seat of the pants" measurements won't be able to
detect a 5% change -- this mainly detects psychological changes.

> The 12v accessory battery generally won't take any load off the DC to
> DC converter.

A better way to look at this is to consider how much power your 12v
system uses as you are driving around. Let's say it draws 30 amps. 12v x
30a = 360 watts.

Now, how much power does your propulsion system use? Let's say you have
a 120v pack and draw 60a average; 120v x 60a = 7200 watts.

So, your 12v system is using 360w / 7200w = 5% of your battery power. If
the 12v system drew zero power from the propulsion pack (no DC/DC),
you'd have 5% more range.

EMFBI BTDT FWIW

DQMOT but IMHO AREs are stupid i mean OMG WTF? if you spoke like that IRL ppl would tell you to STFU tard im sure your thinking GAL but GMAB i can't unnerstand i don wanna be a PITA but theres a PEBKAC WRT TLA

GGP TTYL

Ken Trough wrote:
Just a reminder to use correct capitalization when writing. If you want anyone to take you seriously, you first have to take your posts seriously.

In my opinion, you might want to consider adjusting your thinking or you may be ignoring a significant portion of the populace that will soon be a majority of those online (if they are not already).

This lack of capitalization "movement" started back in the late 80's when textual chat spaces came into prominance. Those spaces were considered "informal" communication and as such accepted the lack of capitalization, incomplete sentances and also word abbreviations (rofl, kk, l8tr, etc).

The later rise of textual cell phone communication reinforced this meme because abbreviations and lack of caps made cell text communication easier and faster. If you have to type several keys several times on a phone to make a single letter in a text message, you learn shortcuts.

The result is that an entire generation has now grown up learning this technique as the "norm", and many of them use it for conversation of all kinds, even "serious" ones. I would assert that this is considered perfectly normal and acceptable by almost everyone under 25 years of age.

This method of communication is definitely here to stay and while many of us over 30 find it glaringly "ugly" to look at, many more simply see this as the "way things are". I am not advocating that we all quit using caps and start abbreviating everything. I am just saying that this represents a major shift in communication technique by the younger generation and that us older people need to adjust to what IS rather than what we'd LIKE.

This is totally mainstream now.

Hope this helps!

-Ken Trough
V is for Voltage
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM/YM - ktrough
FAX/voice message - 206-339-VOLT (8658)

1

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At an engineering startup we had a guy we interviewed who showed up in a very faded, somewhat frayed T-shirt and jeans for a nearly six fig programming job. He was good. We hired him. I have no doubt he did it on purpose. He wouldn't go for a company that assumed value of things based on superficial impressions. And a smart company could see the joke and like the attitude. One that couldn't see it, f*ck 'em.

But you have to be the right type of person to do this. Very unlikely that simply dressing shabby will have a positive effect for a nonexceptional person.

Danny

Travis Raybold wrote:

[...]

Hi EVerybody;

  Being EV less sucks! Been trying to do something about that, of late. Dragged
the Nissan Sentra that I have had for a few years, the one I bought in NYC
awile back. Well, when I got it it DID run. but that was a long time ago in EV
years? Pulled it ort least tried, by hand, push, took the full first gear to
MOVE the damn car! The rusty Disc brakes didn't help. Jacked the front end up,
pulled the wheels and pried the disc calipers off, well the left side probably
will hafta replace, as it took a C clamp and hammer to free that one. Right
side turned easy! Surprise! Car will roll, now, off to a good start.Today
building a battery rack in back, it fits 10 batteries, will drop neatly between
the frame rails, so I'll have a trunk, albiet shallow. Those old Sentra's are
nice an' boxy to fit batteries into. The front in the air, figgured I'd try the
motor. Clip leads to a 12 volt  battery, this should have produced a motor run?
Huh? Nothin!  Not EVen a Zap, when you connect the l!
 ead. So left it hooked up and, in gear, spun the wheel by hand. Ahhh! THERE it
goes!  Hmmm aren't motors SUPPOSED to start on their own? This one didn't, and
when it ran, sounded like a coffee grinder, lottsa brush noise!. Brushes looked
good, BLACK com. Shit! Gunna hafta pull the motor, get the comm turned. Hope
the comm is still good? My guess that they lugged the motor in Hi gear too
much, but with a Cursit controller, the ride must have been SLOW! Car was
driven/ owned last by the family of the guy that built it and died. So it was
driven to death, when the range gave way, they got rid of it. Hope they didn't
kill the motor, too. Batteries gave you about a 3 mile ride, when I got
it.Pretty hard to kill the motor on that. On the plus side the clutch and
tranny shifted smoothly.

   Atfirst I thought I might have something for Power of DC, but I'm not
holding my breath.So that's that. Maybe Dave Cover will get his hub welded and
be up an' running before me?

    Seeya at "DC"

    Bob, with or without a car.

Is it just me, or do those cells seem kind of heavy and awfully expensive
for what they offer?

Mark Grasser wrote:
> I bought a blue car because I thought electricity was blue. All the big
> sparks I've seen in my life were blue. Am I wrong about this?

Electricity is colorless, but when it ionizes the air, the various gases
produce the color.

Air is mostly nitrogen, and ionized nitrogen is blue. Actually, it is
ultraviolet, but the part we see is blue. The rest of the gases in air
provide the other colors.

If the arc is between metals or other material that are being burned
away, they further contribute to the color.

Finally, hot objects glow at anything from red-hot to white-hot.
Lightning is white because the air is intensely white-hot.

I've always thought it would be fun to deliberately blow something like
neon (bright orange) or sodium (bright yellow) through a brushed motor
for drag racing, just to enhance the brightness of the arcing for
theatrical effects.

"Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You may have to go to an auto paint store and actually look at the
chips. This can be very deceptive too, colors appear much louder when
they cover a car compared to the chip. Still, I think the Saturn green
you are looking at may be to light (and a bit to yellow) to go well
with silver. I like your idea of keeping the silver bottom because you
may be able to get away without repainting the lower part of the car. I
have found a couple of ideas that I like (subject to seeing the actual
chips along side a chip of your silver).

The first is a Yaris sedan green 2007 Jade Sea Metallic, the second is
the 2007 Camry Aloe Green Metallic. Visit Toyota.com to find them.

Paul G.

Of course I'll deffinitely go look at the chips. The local Saturn dealership
had either a left over or trade in electric lime Ion until not long ago either,
now I want to go look at it again. Not sure how much I like the toyota colors
(I'll look at the chips though), except the Jasper Pearl they offer on the
Camry Hybrid only. I saw one the other day and it really stands out. Maybe I'll
just go and pick out a color from the book instead. I think I may have been a
bit fixiated on the Saturn color just because it was called Electric Lime.

  Too late on the existing silver, it's already been sanded, plus the front of
the car (also partially silver) is not in the greatest of shape. I have a bit
of work ahead of me with the front bumper to make it a nice surface to put
paint on.

  Thanks for the suggestions

Later,
Ricky
02 Insight
92 Saturn SC2 EV 144 Volt
Glendale, AZ USA

---------------------------------
Ring'em or ping'em. Make  PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo!
Messenger with Voice.

Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:    I would do something "extra" to make

--- Death to All Spammers wrote:

> > So ever since I was looking for my Insight in 2002 I wanted a
> green one, but could not find one and settled on a red one. All I've
> ever had was red cars so I'm opting for something way different. I
> think I've found the appropriate color of choice, it's called
> "Electric Lime Metallic", Paint code 930L and was used on some late
> model Saturns.
> >
> http://www.saturnofevansville.com/image%5Farchive/ION/quad_coupe/2004/electric_lime/index.htm
> >

> Naw, needs to be more GREEN!

Ohh it'll have extra's. I'm doing the prep work and then I'll have someone who
knows what they're doing spray the car. Then I'll probably end up doing the
final wet sand and buff, which I know how to do properly. I don't think I'd be
doing a big "EV" on the car, but I haven't foregotten to have some indication
of it's power soruce. I always liked the "ELECTRIC" logo they used on the
factory S-10 electric trucks. Being EV Bones is located here in town I sent an
email asking about these decals. I guess they'd cleared out all the parts
warehouses of the original GM made ones so they had replicas made so I bought a
pair of those from them. They are a big large, but I was thinking I could put
one on the back of the car under the "Saturn" embossing on the trunk and then
have it copied and shrunk to fit one on each front fender above the Saturn
Logo's. In other words, make it look stock to confuse people.

Later,
Ricky
02 Insight
92 Saturn SC2 EV 144 Volt
Glendale, AZ USA

---------------------------------

Dave Cover wrote:

> Before this thread goes away, I want to clear up one point. A
> lot of the early discussion/speculation was about an internal
> cell/battery failure with parallel batteries. Is this specific
> to parallel strings or could this happen in a plain series
> strings of cells/batteries?

A simple shorted or reversed cell should not result in a dramatic
failure with a plain series string, unless one continues to drive or, in
some cases, charge the car.  (Charging a pack with a reversed cell
should not result in any sort of "incident", but charging or discharging
a battery that has suffered some sort of internal cell failure such as a
short, etc., can generate significant heat and might result in an
"incident".)

Even with a simple series string you must consider possible failure
modes.  If you are using regs or some other circuitry that connects
across one or more batteries, what mechanisms are in place to prevent
this circuitry and its associated wiring from overheating and/or
igniting if it fails and the battery(ies) it is connected across
discharge through/into it?

Rudman regs (the most popular device of this sort), are not conformally
coated and so are susceptible to misbehaving if they get wet, etc., so
care should be taken to install them in a protected location.  The
connections between the battery and reg should be fused with fuses rated
for full pack voltage because if a battery/cell fails open, the reg will
be subjected to full pack voltage.  The wiring between the reg and
battery should be sized to carry at least the fuse's rated current
continuously (otherwise, the insulation could melt or the wires
otherwise fail before the fuse opens).  It means more wiring, but I
believe the best way to use Rudman regs is to install them in a central
location, protected from the elements, and use a 4-wire (2 load and 2
sense) connection to each battery.  If this central location is a metal
enclosure to keep the regs away from flammable materials, and if the
wire and fuses between the regs and batteries are appropriately chosen,
then I believe it would be extremely unlikely for a reg to misbehave or
cause any larger problem in the unlikely event of a device failure.
Locating the regs in a central location has the additional benefits of
making it easy to provide fan cooling and allowing one to check the
status LEDs of all batteries at a glance.

> I want to make sure I'm covering my bases on my pack. I plan
> on having a pack in the back with an HDPE lid. Maybe I should
> also have a metal cover bolted over that as a fire block?

If "in the back" means inside the passenger compartment, then I would
use a metal cover just as a general rule.

On 23 May 2006 at 8:51, John Norton wrote:

> http://www.powerstream.com/BB.htm
>
> Selling prismatic NiMH cells, up to 100AH.

I don't know that it's entirely a fair comparison, but a Chinese-made 15kWh
battery comprising 125 (!) of these cells would cost almost $20,500.  That's
more than double what a comparable nicad EV battery from a high quality
European manufacturer (Saft) would cost.  With the lower rated cycle life
(800 vs. 1500 to 2500) the cost per mile (or km ;-) would be 4-6 times as
high.

Such an EV battery would be 27% lighter though - not counting the mass of
the many interconnects required - 238kg vs. 325kg.  It would also make for
less maintenance.  But 4-6 times the cost is a lot to pay for that.

The way to separate the hub from the tapered bushing is as follows:

Take out the 10-24 allen head cap screws that pull the bushing into the hub.

Buy the necessary number of 10-24 screws about 1/2" longer than the originals.

Screw them into until the bottom out in the bushing.

Secure the motor and adaptor to the workbench so it can't move.

Using a steel hammer, give the heads of the screws a sharp rap, toward the motor. It doesn't require a large hammer or a lot of force. It's not the force of the blow that does the job, it's the sharp shock of steel hitting steel.

That should break the taper.

As far as pullers are concerned, all my hubs have a substantial shoulder to provide gripping points for a 2- or 3- armed bearing puller. They also have a 3/4" (minimum) hole down the center to allow the screw portion of the puller to go through the hub and up against the motor shaft.

Remove the 10-24 screws. If the pilot bushing or bearing is in the way, remove it carefully. If you damage the bushing, I can supply a replacement. Hook the puller arms to the shoulder, and screw the screw in until it makes contact with the motor shaft. Tighten the puller screw as tight as you can get it with about a 2' breaker bar.

Again, using a steel hammer, strike the end of the bearing puller screw. Use a little more force than you would on the 10-24 screws. The tightened bearing puller supplies tension, and the hammer blow provides shock. This should separate the taperlock.

Mike Brown
Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

AEMN BRTHOR.....

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lock Hughes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
maybe we can allow a bit more 'flexibiltiy' in groups ..

Altaucly pkeaey, tnurs out tehre can be a lot of fbxltilieiy!

I'm jsut not srue tihs mekas tnihgs any eiaesr for EyreVnoe esle
tuohgh...
We need the cVEiaonotnnl as mcuh as we need the uvtcninoeanonl.
Cehres!
Lcok

I know that folks often run the ADC motors above their voltage rating.
Anyone know what the max safe voltage to push the ADC 6.7-inch, 72V motor
is?

Thanks.