  1) Re: NEDRA Power of DC Coming Up Sunday June 4
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Scirocco (Rabbit) suspension upgrade
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: copyright infringement
        by "James McKethen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Lee's regs in action
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: OT: EV Copyright Infringer strikes again
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: GM's Wagoner admits killing EV1 was a mistake
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: copyright infringement
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Lee's regs in action
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Electric Conversion / Newer Model Cars - Computerized
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Announcing the NEDRA Late Night Nationals 2006
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by Gnat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Lee's regs in action
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Fans in parallel
        by "Jonathon Lemus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: OT: EV Copyright Infringer strikes again
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Hi voltage DC-DC problem
        by "Chris Brune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Hi voltage DC-DC problem
        by "Chris Brune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Solectria S-10 Anti-Lock Brakes
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Lee's regs in action
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Hi voltage DC-DC problem
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Lee's regs in action
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Lee's regs in action
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) RE: Windstar EV Conversion
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "doug korthof" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu May 25, 2006 9:06am(PDT)
Subject: GM's Wagoner admits killing EV1 was a mistake

"Motor Trend, June 2006, p. 94
"Interview With Rick Wagoner
"His worst decision?
"...'Axing the EV1 electric-car program and not putting the right
resources into hybrids. It didn't affect profitability, but it did
affect image.'"

The following letter in support of plug-in clean cars went to
MotorTrend.

Please consider copying it to your local newspaper, or to gm itself
might get there.

In addition, please help talk about the upcoming documentary,
"Who Killed the Electric Car", to be released by Sony on June 28

You can see a preview on http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=12796

and join the Yahoo group promoting sale of plug-in cars at
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/electric_vehicles_for_sale/

Oil dependence vs. energy independence, is a *choice* that must be
allowed the car buyer. Until the auto and oil companies relent, and
allow oil-free cars again, that choice will be denied the caring
Citizen.

If families are given the right to buy an oil-free car, many will
volunteer to install their own solar system, and bypass oil almost
entirely. Naturally, this idea has a big enemy in Chevron, which
currently controls the worldwide patent rights to the NiMH batteries
needed by EVs.

Now that GM has admitted complicity, can the oil companies continue
to escape responsibility and deny guilt?

/Doug

Editor, MotorTrend Magazine

RE: Interview with Rick Wagoner

Dear Editor:

The GM CEO who killed the EV1 has admitted that it was his "worst
decision" ("Interview with Rick Wagoner", June, 2006).

EV1 drivers, who were loyal to GM and endured its bullying and
leasing tyranny, remained fanatically devoted to their oil-free EV1
cars.

These EV1 drivers felt betrayed by GM. Toyota seized the
opportunity, selling their excellent oil-free RAV4-EV.
Consequently, all this loyalty was transferred to Toyota, which now
has the reputation not only for its hybrid cars, but for the cachet
of those hundreds of well-heeled RAV4-EV drivers who now sing the
praises of Toyota as the only true "green" car company.

Wagoner handed this powerful corps of Evangelists to Toyota, along
with the plug-in technology it had acquired when it bought Hughes.

Instead of assessing blame, isn't it time General Motors started
reclaiming some of the clean-car image it has handed to Toyota?

An apology to former EV1 drivers for killing their car, a resumption
of plug-in serial hybrid and EV1 production, and the sale on the
open market to willing purchasers of pollution-free EV1 cars would
be a timely way for Wagoner to capitalize on this lost asset, and to
turn scorn into admiration.

Name__
Addr__
City__
Phone__

"Motor Trend, June 2006, p. 94
"Interview With Rick Wagoner
"His worst decision?
"...'Axing the EV1 electric-car program and not putting the right
resources into hybrids. It didn't affect profitability, but it did
affect image.'"

Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
Vegetable Oil Car.
415-821-3519
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Later,
Ricky
02 Insight
92 Saturn SC2 EV 144 Volt
Glendale, AZ USA

---------------------------------
Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for just 2ยข/min
with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

At 03:54 PM 5/25/2006, you wrote:
Print, Scan, OCR, Edit. Ask a lawyer friend to write a nastygram to the
perpetrator.

You can skip the paper copy.
http://www.structurise.com/kleptomania/index.shtml

__________
Andre' B. Clear Lake, Wi.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12860428/

The article said that Honda sold only 666 Insights in 2005.  I wonder
why sales were so low?  Sales of this car ought to be brisk with
gasoline prices so high and the widespead  revulsion of SUVs and
other gas guzzlers.  Were sales so low because customers didn't
want Insights or did Honda Motor Company only produce a few
hundred per year?

Tom Shay wrote:

> The article said that Honda sold only 666 Insights in 2005.  I wonder
> why sales were so low?  Sales of this car ought to be brisk with
> gasoline prices so high and the widespead  revulsion of SUVs and
> other gas guzzlers.  Were sales so low because customers didn't
> want Insights or did Honda Motor Company only produce a few
> hundred per year?

Perhaps it is due to Honda also offering the same hybrid system in both
Civics and Accords, and the 4-5 seaters are more attractive to buyers
than the 2-seater Insight with its love-it-or-hate-it styling, even if
the Insight does offer better performance.

On 25 May 2006 at 14:49, Tom Shay wrote:

> The article said that Honda sold only 666 Insights in 2005.  I wonder why
> sales were so low?

Did Honda advertise the car?  Did they ship any to dealers?

As fuel prices rose, I expected to see them by the dozens in front of our area
Honda dealership, but I never saw even one.  Hmm, I wonder why that might
be.

Tom Shay wrote:
The parts list is nice to have.  But, how are these components
connected together?  Did I miss a message that told this?

Yes, it's in the archives a few weeks back. It's really simple, think

+ -----|<----lightbulb-----|<----- - battery

Put the 10 ohm resistor in parallel with the lightbulb and that's the circuit. Encase the two zener diodes inside of the battery lugs with thermal potting compound and you have your heat sink.

Car makers seem to keep forgetting that 2 seater cars sell poorly.

Let's see, Honda made and discontinued:

    CRX
    Del Sol
    NSX
    Insight (soon)

See a correlation? All 2 seaters. The S2000 is hanging on still, but
I wouldn't be surprised if it is selling slowly, too.

--- "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 25 May 2006 at 14:49, Tom Shay wrote:
>
> > The article said that Honda sold only 666 Insights in 2005.  I
> wonder why
> > sales were so low?
>
> Did Honda advertise the car?  Did they ship any to dealers?
>
> As fuel prices rose, I expected to see them by the dozens in front
> of our area
> Honda dealership, but I never saw even one.  Hmm, I wonder why that
> might
> be.

--- Begin Message --- On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:42:20 -0700, Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

who uses tan for ground wires?

My '87 VW Cabriolet (and lots of other VWs) uses BROWN for all ground wires. +12V wires are either BLACK or RED!

I can understand wanting to leave all the computerized wiring in a conversion. I removed the engine control wiring from my car with little trouble, but wish I hadn't clipped some of the wires so short. My fuel pump relay could easily be replaced with a generic SPST relay for key switched power - fuse protected and all.

Even the 1987 car requires me to "fake" some signals to keep the oil pressure light from coming on over 2,000 RPM. Those accurate wiring guides are a must.

Adrian

.

Hello All

The NEDRA NW National EVent has a change of venue this year.

Instead of sharing the track at Woodburn Dragstrip with the junior dragsters as in previous years, this year the EVent has moved to Portland International Raceway (PIR). The folks at PIR are happy to be hosting NEDRA as they are familiar with EV drag racers already thanks to John Wayland and others.

NEDRA racers will be joining the other PIR racers in the "Late Night Drags" on both August 25th and 26th with the 25th being a bonus "test and tune" night and with the 26th being the "awards" event. Or... we may decide to have an awards brunch the following day.

NEDRA racers will share the lanes both nights with local drag racing enthusiasts and will also be racing other EVs head to head.

Track opens at 6pm, racing until 12am.

PIR website-
www.portlandraceway.com
Directions:
www.portlandraceway.com/location.asp

PIR is just west of the I-5 and is about 1/2 mile south of the Columbia River.

Admission Prices  to the Late Night Drags-
$8/Adults, $5/Children   All Racers $22

More fun EVents in conjunction with these two nights of racing are still in the planning stages.

All the usual suspects are expected to be in attendance.

Will provide updates as more details are nailed down.

Roy LeMeur
NEDRA Northwest Regional Race Director

Roy LeMeur  Olympia, WA

My EV and RE Project Pages-
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links-
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

> On 25 May 2006 at 14:49, Tom Shay wrote:
>
> > The article said that Honda sold only 666 Insights in 2005.  I
> wonder why
> > sales were so low?
>
> Did Honda advertise the car?  Did they ship any to dealers?
>
> As fuel prices rose, I expected to see them by the dozens in
> front of our area
> Honda dealership, but I never saw even one.  Hmm, I wonder why that might
> be.

And what happened to the 2-3 year waiting list they kept talking about.

At 02:49 PM 5/25/2006, you wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12860428/

The article said that Honda sold only 666 Insights in 2005.  I wonder
why sales were so low?  Sales of this car ought to be brisk with
gasoline prices so high and the widespead  revulsion of SUVs and
other gas guzzlers.  Were sales so low because customers didn't
want Insights or did Honda Motor Company only produce a few
hundred per year?

Not sure if it's related, but we've been hearing from a lot of people with 2000 Insights who are now looking at replacing a $5,000 battery pack, and they are inquiring about converting to pure electric.

Shari Prange

Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

On Thu, 25 May 2006 19:36, Tom Shay wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12860428/

The article said that Honda sold only 666 Insights in 2005.  I wonder
why sales were so low?  Sales of this car ought to be brisk with
gasoline prices so high and the widespead  revulsion of SUVs and
other gas guzzlers.  Were sales so low because customers didn't
want Insights or did Honda Motor Company only produce a few
hundred per year?

You should try living in the same world as everyone else. The supposed widespread revulsion at SUVs and other gas guzzlers just isn't that widespread.

Gas went up over $3 with hardly a hitch in the sales of SUV's and other high powered V8 vehicles. Also in Europe, where gas is double the price in the US, sales of SUV's are increasing.

I would bet that had gas prices continued up you would have seen a change in buying, but prices have peaked, levelling and even dropping. And Tahoes are selling like hotcakes.
Have you measured the total current draw for each 'Zreg'?

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mike Phillips wrote:
> > Could you assemble a pack that has mismatched SOC levels and report
> > back how well and how long it takes to get back into balance?
>
> Yaknow, if there's one thing a Prizm owner has it's a stack of blown
out
> batteries. I've got a bunch in various states of charge, discharge, and
> the like.
>
> Hm. Maybe I can set up two strings of 3 broken hawkers with regs and
> disconnect the elec-trak's NiCD batteries for a few weeks. Put them on
> the E20 charger with little regs and see what happens.
>
> Chris

Tried something similar for a medical device I was working on, no you
can't add like that.

One fan would feed the next one it's rated cfm.
EX: any thing after a 150 cfm fan would have trouble getting more than
150 cfm
Pull a lot more than 150 cfm and you can turn it into a generator and
the power could feed back.
If you have five 5 cfm fans, you still get 5 cfm.

Have with more than one inlet, a bigger fan, or optimize the internal
airflow if you need more cooling

Jon

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 05/19/06 1:04 PM >>>
So if 5 fans of 30cfm each are in aerodynamic parallel, so they add up
to 150 cfm total? In other words, if 5 fans were connected to the same
box, can they push 150 cfm thru it? I bet not, but wanted to see if
someone has been there and done that.

Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be
used for urgent or sensitive issues.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- August. Just for the fun of it here is a translation of what you just said, pretending you are a music collector selling MPEGs and CDs on the side. I figured you don't mind since it doesn't phase you that people copy your stuff.

"I also don't know why this bothers anyone. In another life as a record collector, I have scanned and converted to Mpegs many songs from the 60s and 70s. I have them all available for free at one of my web sites, www.kg7bz.net. I have seen others selling CDs on eBay that contain popular songs that were obviously taken from my web site (same scratches on the records, etc.) and it's not bothering me at all. I don't even bother using shrink wrap on my CDs because it hinders some of the users that want to play from my collections. I look at is as though someone thought enough of my collection to think it's worth selling."

Wow August, the music industry would love you.

Your honor. I rest my case.

Hey give that guy a cigar. But not one of those cheap fake cuban cigars Neon sucks on.

Chip Gribben

From: "August Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 25, 2006 3:35:35 PM EDT
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

I also don't know why this bothers anyone. In another life as a Ham Radio
operator, I have scanned and converted to PDF many manuals for old WWII
Military Boatanchor Radios. I have them all available for free at one of my
web sites, www.kg7bz.net. I have seen others selling CDs on eBay that
contain manuals that were obviously taken from my web site (same stains on the same page, etc.) and it's not bothering me at all. I don't even bother turning on any protection in Acrobat, sometimes it hinders some of the users that want to print my manual or something. I look at is as though someone
thought enough of my work to think it's worth selling.

August Johnson

Unless one is very careful with the application of putting DC/DC converters
in series (tapping the pack) this could be a recipe for problems.

Unless a mechanism is included that forces the DC/DC converters to share the
load equally they will unbalance the pack.  One of the converters will have
a tendency to hog most of the current.  The difference caused won't be huge
and if battery regulators are used it maybe able to compensate for it.  I
don't know, but I'd be careful.

Two things I'd do:
1.  Make sure the output voltages are identical.
2.  Add some length of wire in series with each output before tying them
together.

Also, putting the input of two converters in series (without tapping the
pack) is also not a good idea.  One converter will surely be running in an
over-voltage condition.

Regards,
Chris Brune

From: "Dave Cover" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> One more question about paralleling things. Suppose I had the following
configuration. I want to
> use batteries in addition to the dc-dc to power the car accessories, but I
also need 24 volts for
> some things. I start with this for my 24 volt components;
>
>   +    24v DCDC     -
>
>   |                 |
>   |                 |
>   |                 |
>   |                 |
>  *********   *********
>  *  12v  *   *  12v  *
>  *+     -*---*+     -*
>  *       *   *       *
>  *********   *********
>   |                 |
>   |                  \ key switch
>   |                   \
>   |                 |
>   |__ 24 volt ______|
>      contactor
>
> But if I want to draw 12 volts from the same batteries, can I do this? Is
there a risk of
> unbalancing the 12 volt batteries or will the 24v dc-dc keep them in good
shape?

Yes, this configuration will unbalance the batteries.  This is a bad thing.
There are products on the market designed for this application.  24V to 12V
DC/DC converters, or 12V to 24V DC/DC converters, or battery equalizers (a
type of 24V to 12V DC/DC converter).

>   +    24v DCDC     -
>
>   |                 |
>   |                 |
>   |                 |
>   |                 |
>  *********   *********
>  *  12v  *   *  12v  *
>  *+     -*---*+     -*
>  *       *   *       *
>  *********   *********
>   |            #    #|
>   |            #    # \
>   |            #    #  \
>   |            #    #|
>   |__ 24 volt _#____#|
>      contactor #    #
>                #    #
>                12 volt
>                 load
>
> Or this, to keep things in balance?
>
>  +      24v DCDC     -
>
>   |                   |
>   |                   |
>   |                   |
>   |                   |
>  *********     *********
>  *  12v  *     *  12v  *
>  *+     -*-----*+     -*
>  *       *     *       *
>  *********     *********
>   |#    %        #    %|
>   |#    %        #    % \
>   |#    %        #    %  \
>   |#    %   24   #    %|
>   |#____%__volt__#____%|
>    #    %  load  #    %
>    #    %        #    %
>    #    % ########    %
>    #    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>    #      #    %
>    ########    %
>           #    %
>
>           +    -
>          12 volt
>           load
>

> Thanks
>
> Dave Cover

Not sure what you are trying to show here, but it doesn't look good.

Regards,
Chris Brune

Electro Automotive writes:

> Not sure if it's related, but we've been hearing from a lot of people
> with 2000 Insights who are now looking at replacing a $5,000 battery
> pack, and they are inquiring about converting to pure electric.

Shari,

Have you considered developing an AC kit for the Insight?  It seems like
there could be a steady supply of donor vehicles if the owners opt to not
replace the hybrid packs.

Ralph

Dave,

On a DRY street you will have no problem.

During the last rain of the spring I found myself
gliding through the red light because my brakes
locked for an instant when stomping on the brakes
when the light changed to yellow in front of me
and I tried to stop quickly.
There was nobody in front of me, luckily, so when
I lost only half of my speed while already coming up
to the stop line and the light just turning red,
I decided to run it or else I would have come to a
halt in the middle of the intersection.
Anti-lock would have avoided that.
With a slightly heavier than standard pack and a
total weight of about 4900 lbs, my truck is certainly
not light but the Solectria is neither.
Better fix those brakes than crash the car as soon
as you encounter wet pavement and a need to stop fast.

Regards,
Cor.