  1) Re: Prius air-conditioning
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Prius air-conditioning
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Things I'd like to buy from EV suppliers (Update)
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: clutch or clutchless
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: New Flooded Cells
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Expanded Scale Voltmeters and Other Such
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: New Flooded Cells, AC DC an' Stuff
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: New Flooded Cells, AC DC an' Stuff
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Calvin King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Lee's regs in action
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: NEDRA Power of DC Coming Up Sunday June 4
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Prius air-conditioning
        by "Jim Seibert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) FW: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Zilla remote Palm IIIe  Interface software
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Vancourver 2006 EV show...
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: New Flooded Cells
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Electric furniture
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Flooded battery isolation
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) converter question
        by "john" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: clutch or clutchless
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Prius air-conditioning
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Three-wheel Go-cart
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Flooded battery isolation
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Flooded battery isolation
 26) Re: Prius air-conditioning
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Help Push an Electric into May's car of the Month!
> I'm sorry I don't have the URL, but if you google on Prius Air
Conditioning
> you should be able to find it like I did.  I read it in the last
couple of
> weeks, and it did have www.toyota in the URL, so I trusted the
information.

http://techinfo.toyota.com/public/main/2ndprius.pdf

Cool stuff!

I reviewed the doc and noticed that the A/C motor is
indicated as AC-motor, so it does NOT run straight off
the DC pack, unless it has a DC/AC converter built-in!

Cor (in Bay St Louis, MS)

> I reviewed the doc and noticed that the A/C motor is
> indicated as AC-motor, so it does NOT run straight off
> the DC pack, unless it has a DC/AC converter built-in!
>
> Cor (in Bay St Louis, MS)

If you are getting a steady speed like that from 48V, then C-lyte has really
improved their motors. Or maybe it's the aerodynamics of your rig? I can run
mine for about 20 miles at 17-20MPH... or get it up to 25MPH, but not both.
(Well, if I push the batts, I can get 25MPG for about 15 minutes of that 20
miles.) I'm impressed.

I haven't checked, as I said, recently. I guess it was about 4 years ago
that I looked into the batts they'd allow locally. Basically, they'd allowed
the Optimas (2 * 12V) the last time I looked. They were *slightly* over the
weight, if I recall my friend's talk correctly. He'd said the slight weight
increase was allowed because some of the weight was case weight, if I
recall.

So, do you have any pix of your rig?

From: "Juergen Weichert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> There is a limit on battery weight, not on number of batteries. I plan
> on running 72V using an array or smaller 12V batteries.
>
> Last year we ran a 406~409 motor in 406 mode in a 20" wheel. Speeds were
> around 37km/h for most of the hour. It should have been higher (around
> 42km/h predicted for 48V) but we had a voltage sag of a couple of volts
> due to two weaker batteries in the array. The power meter showed around
> 700-750W consumption for most conditions. We came in around 37km total
> for the hour.
>
> This year I will be running the same vehicle (modified) using a 405
> motor at 72V.
>
> Batteries - age and condition will make a big difference. Aerodynamics
> are obviously important too and will be improved over the next few days.
>
> Juergen

There is a 3/4 meg resistor connecting mid pack to ground. Is that
what you are seeing?

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, so after weeks I finally got the BB600 battery pack installed and
> connected in the S10. Now I have an isolation question:
>
> I checked voltage from the pack to the frame and I see 200+ volts. When
> I switch to amp view and check again it looks like I have a .6 ma
ground
> fault. This is through two layers of plastic and POR15 paint in the bed.
>
> It's enough to feel, which to me is bad. I was wondering if it would be
> an idea to tie the pack to the frame with some high value resistors to
> bleed off this 1ma leak. That way there will be a better path than say
> me if I am ever working on the pack and forget to switch it off.
>
> Currently the pack is structured as follows: There are two sides, each
> side contains 152 volts of batteries. I have a 3 phase disconnect
switch
> between the packs wired such that when I throw the switch each pack is
> split in half, and the pack itself is split in two. Thus there is no
> more than 75 volts potential. Is this safe?
>
> Chris

You say the pack is connected, I assume that means it's connected to the
motor/controller?  That's probably where the leakage is occuring.
Try disconnecting the batter pack from the controller and see if you still
have leakage.

My 120V pack has leakage problems when it gets dirty, it's enough to bite
if I touch a terminal while leaning against a rusty spot.  It stings, but
is basically harmless.

Unless you have a really low resistance short from the pack to frame, I
don't think you'd even feel 75 volts.

> Ok, so after weeks I finally got the BB600 battery pack installed and
> connected in the S10. Now I have an isolation question:
>
> I checked voltage from the pack to the frame and I see 200+ volts. When
> I switch to amp view and check again it looks like I have a .6 ma ground
> fault. This is through two layers of plastic and POR15 paint in the bed.
>
> It's enough to feel, which to me is bad. I was wondering if it would be
> an idea to tie the pack to the frame with some high value resistors to
> bleed off this 1ma leak. That way there will be a better path than say
> me if I am ever working on the pack and forget to switch it off.
>
> Currently the pack is structured as follows: There are two sides, each
> side contains 152 volts of batteries. I have a 3 phase disconnect switch
> between the packs wired such that when I throw the switch each pack is
> split in half, and the pack itself is split in two. Thus there is no
> more than 75 volts potential. Is this safe?
>
> Chris

> Has anyone taken a look at Peltier thermoelectric devices recently?
They are
> getting cheep on surplus lately (due to all the colman coolers that use
> them).
>
> Once I get a little farther down the road I am going to play around
with
> them on the car. I already have a stack of them (liquid air is
fun.... :)
> but the bigger question is what will their efficency is like Vs a
> commpressor system. 80W of cooling takes about 100W of electricty
just not
> sure how much cooling a compressor pumps out Vs its input power.

I just read that the average car has 2-3 tons (24-36K btu) of cooling
capacity! An EV doesn't have the engine as a heat source, but unless
you have some way of directly chilling your body with a bunch of
Peltiers, it doesn't look like a good choice. A viable option might be
to adapt a split ductless heat pump to run off pack voltage and use
some of the original parts - no idea what would be involved.

I had posted:

Roderick's Maniac Mazda and Matt's Joule Injected are presently sitting at 3826 and 3765 respectively in the one and two positions. The third place guy with his powerful V8 Mustang is trailing at 3340, and there's only 4 more voting days! It's time to reinvigorate our collective voting machine here at the EVDL and pump up these EVs so that an electric will take the May car of the month!

Oops...that should have read...an electric will take the 'June' car of the month! OK, the tally for the cars only went up 35 votes for Rod's car and only 31 votes for Matt's car, while the Mustang gained 24 votes, so we're not voting in full strength. We should be able to pump up the votes by an easy 100 votes per day. Come on, it's important to get another EV in the limelight.

Please, take a moment and vote today. Only two more days left.

See Ya.....John Wayland