  1) Re: suspension mods
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: suspension mods
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Fw: Aftermarket GEM Doors
  4) Re: Electric furniture
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Electric furniture
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Maniac Mazda Dragtimes.com's June car of the Month...congrats, Rod!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Soild state relays
        by "BFRListmail" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Comparison
  9) Re: Comparison
 10) Charger Efficiency, KWH useage at AC Outlet!
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Maniac Mazda Dragtimes.com's June car of the Month...congrats, Rod!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Electric furniture
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Electric furniture
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Gizmo
        by "Tom Gocze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: suspension mods, batteries
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: suspension mods
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: suspension mods
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) The Independent of London EV story
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Charger Efficiency, KWH useage at AC Outlet!
 20) Re: Voltage for a regen alternator
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: AC vs. DC - hopefully ending (for now...)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: Maniac Mazda Dragtimes.com's June car of the Month...congrats, Rod!
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Comparison
        by "Stefan T. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Vespa Rickshaw.
 26) Re: Voltage for a regen alternator
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) RE: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Electric furniture
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Lee's regs in action
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: suspension mods
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:48:30 -0700 (PDT)

Before you consider the Tercel, really look carefully
for battery space.  Did the wagon go on as far as 87?
There's a longer bed for batteries.
Remember, you don't want them all in the front or all
in the back-- your ride will pay for it.
FYI, the Civvy's susp. upgrades were $900 for cost
comparison.

>     I am considering for conversion a 1987 Toyota
> Tercel hatchback - seems
>   like it would make a good platform.  My initial
> concern is mods that might
>   be required for the suspension - anyone out there
> have any advice to offer
>   on what actually needs to be done and where I can
> get the parts??
>
>   Thanks, Mike
>
>   Hello Mike,
>
>   Here are four sources I used for my suspensions,
> axles, inner and outer axle bearings to withstand
> the increase weight, heavy duty manual
> transmissions, automatic lock auto transmission that
> can be either shift in manual starting from 1 rpm or
> in automatic mode.
>
>   The Air Ride systems replaces the shocks and
> springs all in one unit, that can level the car,
> which you can make the suspension as hard or to as
> soft as you want.
>
>   www.jegs.com<http://www.jegs.com/>
> 1-800-245-4545    Transmissions, light weight
> flywheels,
>
>  metallic clutches, etc.
>
>   www.p-s-t.com<http://www.p-s-t.com/>
> 1-800-247-2288     Performance Suspension Technology
>
>   www.markwilliams.com<http://www.markwilliams.com/>
>  1-800-525-1963    Chassis & Drivelines Components
>
>   www.ridetech.com<http://www.ridetech.com/>
> 1-812-482.2932    Air Ride Technologies
>
>   Roland

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Roland -

Many thanks!!! I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Mike

From: "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:37:03 -0600

[...]

--- Begin Message --- I did a Tercell hatchback and was quite happy with it , got 18 golf cart batteries in it , I even bought another one with a bad motor when I saw it sitting in a back yard . I put the back springs for the 300 zx in the back and left the front as is. I did give up the back seat and cut out the floor for batteries . . It has a 9" net gain motor in but I should have used a shorter Implus or 8" as this was very tight. Its for sale , as all my cars are at www.grassrootsev.com .
steve clunn
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I am considering for conversion a 1987 Toyota Tercel hatchback - seems like it would make a good platform. My initial concern is mods that might be required for the suspension - anyone out there have any advice to offer on what actually needs to be done and where I can get the parts??

Thanks, Mike

The plot to kill the green machine
These days we see them everywhere, but if it had been up to the motoring bigwigs, electric cars would have been run off the road long ago. Andrew Gumbel reports on an eco-conspiracy
Published: 01 June 2006

A decade ago, Chris Paine was just a guy who happened to love his electric car. He and about 800 other Californians made up the first wave of pioneer-consumers who leased battery-powered vehicles from General Motors, Ford, Toyota and a handful of other companies in the full expectation that this was the future.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article623261.ece

>   Tom Gocze said that his efficiency wasn't good for an S10 around 1000wh
> per mile.  I assume that's measured at the AC line which is the
> appropriate way to measure kWh useage.  My electric jeep I sold was
> 4000lbs and measured 452 wH per mile inside the vehicle but reality was
> 566 WH per mile at the AC line.  This factors in the 110% you put back
> into the battery (or 120% for NiCads/ NiMh's) and the 90% charger
> efficiency.  So with lead batteries their is a 20% overall difference
> from reading say an E-meter VS putting a KWH meter on the AC line which
> is the correct way to compare "apples to apples" when looking at other
> vehicle efficiencies and other means of fossil fuel propulsion
> comparisons.

Umm that's not correct.  You must put back in 110% of the AMP hours, but
in order to do this, over night, you have to push them in at a much higher
voltage than they come out at.

Watthours = Amphours * Volts.

The energy you have to put back into a lead acid pack probably close to
133% of what you get out, then factor in your charger efficiency (more
likely closer to 80% rather than 90%)  and you are now talking 165%.

My guess is that if it actually took 452 whrs per mile from the pack, then
it probably needed close to 750 whrs from the outlet.

Danny Miller wrote:
> That's under 1 hp though. In terms of regen capacity, 1 hp won't brake
> the vehicle substantially and won't provide a substantial current to
> the pack for just a few sec of braking.

It's 1 hp if you leave it at 12v (12v x 60a = 720w ~ 1 hp). For example,
if your regen was a standard alternator charging your 12v accessory
battery.

The surprising thing is that when you increase the rpm and/or field
current to raise the voltage, the current rating remains unchanged. If
you get 12v at 60a at 1200 rpm (1 hp), you get 120v at 60a at 12,000 rpm
(10 hp)!

But as a practical matter, 12,000 rpm is so high that you'll only get
good regen at high speeds. For example, with a 2:1 step-up ratio between
traction motor and alternator, and with the traction motor spinning at
6,000 rpm.

So, it makes sense to either start with a 24v truck alternator, or
rewind the 12v auto alternator for a higher voltage (and lower current).
This is mainly done to get more regen at low rpm. The consequence is a
lower current rating, due to the smaller wire.

Can someone provide me with a brief description of what "the torque
constant" of an electric motor means. See bolded lines below.

Mike Bachand
Denver Electric Vehicle Council

In a message dated 5/28/2006 12:10:57 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>As  you know (mostly info for newbies),
>The advantage of the high voltage  is wide RPM range.
>The more voltage - the higher RPM before  constant
>torque turns into a constant power.

Not quite so  tevarish. The point at which constant torque
operation shifts to  constant power operation is correctly
determined, in theory, by  the maximum power of the
BATTERY pack. The motor rpm at which this occurs  is
determined by the drive ratio of the drive train and
the  torque constant of the motor.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thanks John! I also wanted to say a very heart felt thank you to all those who took time out of their daily lives to go vote at Drag Times. It is nice to be car of the month but more importantly that we have any electric car in that position for the furtherance of awareness of the electric potential. In the not to distant future there will come a time when gasoline will become very expensive. The electric option will be one of the many transportation solutions to keep this country mobile.

Roderick Wilde

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wayland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Lewis, Brian K wrote:
Did you notice the image suggest all the power for the EV Plus comes
from Coal!

So what exactly is the negative association with coal electricity? I can take a picture of a coal power plant from my front deck, and the air quality around here (Chehalis, WA) is terrific. I've always heard that modern coal plants are terrifically efficient and clean - much more so then an automobile. Am I wrong? Is there a high amount of "unnoticed" pollutants from these plants?

After living in a city with lots of gas cars (you know that blueish haze on still days) and a city with few gas cars and a coal plant right next to it: I'll take the coal over the gasoline any day.

~ Peanut Gallery ~

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've been giving this some idle contemplation, and I have a tentative plan for building one of these meters. The main thing I dislike about Mark's implementation is the use of a panel meter instead of an automotive one.

Here's an automotive-quality meter movement that might work for this meter:

http://www.westach.com/frostalarm/cat/hp13.html

It's part number 2DC10-20, halfway down the page on the left.

The main problem with the gauge is that the needles have too much range of motion. If the volts are high and amps are low, the needles don't cross. One solution is to limit the movement to the upper half of the meter, so the needles never go below the centerline. This wastes half of the meter face - unless you use it to display amps vs. volts on the 12v system. Use a toggle switch to choose what you're looking at. Or, use the top of the meter to display motor amps and volts, and the bottom to display battery amps and volts.

One 2 inch dial and one toggle switch can theoretically provide two voltmeters, two ammeters, and a fuel gauge.

There's also a 3-inch dual meter, but the needles don't cross.

Comments?

On May 31, 2006, at 12:17 AM, Joe Smalley wrote:

I did measurements on my battery pack and determined where the lines would go on a dual needle meter. I used RS232 data out of an emeter. The battery
pack behaves just like Mark's meter is programmed. It should work. The
emeter data matches Mark's theory.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder