  1) Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Fungus Amongus in Battery H2o Comments
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) unsubscribe
        by jeanedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Corbin Gentry electric bike
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: AC vs. DC - hopefully ending (for now...)
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Seppo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Looking to Hire Skilled EV Help in the Los Angeles Area - (West San
Fernando Valley)
        by "Dr. Andy Mars" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Fungus Amongus in Battery H2o Comments
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Fungus Amongus in Battery H2o
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: AC vs. DC - hopefully ending (for now...)
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Comparison
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) Re: Gadget's Triumph
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Range/Capacity Check
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Fungus Amongus in Battery H2o
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: How Hot Does a Terminal Get?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by MIKE & PAULA WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Fungus Amongus in Battery H2o
        by MIKE & PAULA WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Mk3 Regs
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Fungus Amongus in Battery H2o
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Range/Capacity Check
        by MIKE & PAULA WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Fungus Amongus in Battery H2o Comments
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Corbin Gentry electric bike

Mike & Paula Willmon wrote:
> You could take that a step further and logic OR together all the
> combinations that make Green, all that make Yellow and all that make Red.
> Then you wouldn't need so many LED's and you'd get an indication of where
> you are in between colors by how long one stayed on between cycles of high
> demand and no demand.

The beauty of Mark Brueggemann's meter is its synergy; it is very
simple, yet provides a lot of information in a very clear format. A key
to this is its graphical "calculator" -- the scale must be drawn to
correctly relate voltage and current for your particular battery pack.
Making this scale requires a lot of homework! Basically, you need to
know the "correct" voltage for your pack at every combination of state
of charge (0%-100%) and current (0-500amps or whatever).

An LED version is far more complex (at least 10 times the parts), but
they are cheap parts. It also has the advantage that you can make the
display an array of sockets, so appropriate-color LEDs can be plugged in
to produce the good/fair/bad graph. It is mechanically programmable.

You could also built one with a microcomputer. Now it is 100 times more
complex than Mark's version. You still need all the same data, on your
pack's voltage vs. current relationship at various states of charge.
Then you'll have to write a program to capture all this data. But it
uses fashionable technology :-)

Once you have thoroughly documented the precise voltage-current-SOC
relationship, and reduced it to mathematical equations, then you could
use a display consisting of just 3 LEDs (good/fair/bad). But now you
can't see the voltage or current -- you'll need separate meters for
them.

From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, June 2, 2006 6:23 am
Subject: Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> The beauty of Mark Brueggemann's meter is its synergy; it is very
> simple, yet provides a lot of information in a very clear format.
> A key
> to this is its graphical "calculator" --

Behalf Of Lee Hart

Tim Humphrey wrote:
> But you can't do both right?
> It would result in the entire array dimly lit?

Hmm... yes, it would. But you could fix this with a couple more parts.
Build some kind of simple oscillator; 555 timer, schmitt-trigger gate, a
couple of CMOS gates, etc. Use its output to alternately pull the pullup
resistors high, and then the pulldown resistors low. Make the oscillator
frequency high enough so the vertical/horizontal lines of dim LEDs don't
flicker.

I think the villagers distilled it one way or another. If you want au natural
then build yourself a solar distiller.

>  I've been collecting rain water for my batteries (EV, Wind-UPS,
> golf cart) in a 30gal cistern tank and it's full of bacteria.
> Adding a quart Clorox bleach monthly removes the bacteria but it
> may be harmful for the US145 batteries in my Cushman.  Is there a
> chemist who might know what's safe to add to a cistern to
> eliminate fungus amongus but not be harmful to batteries?  How did
> people drink this stuff who live in remote villages anyway?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Mark
>

> ---------------------------------
> and save big.

Eric Poulsen wrote:

Rich,

Can you provide more detailed specs WRT to the Mk3 regs?

1) How accurate are the voltage measurements? I see you're using the Atmega88. Assuming you're running the chip @5V. Without some sort of voltage subtracter circuit, scaling the 18V (max working V) to 5V using a simple voltage divider, combined with the 10-bit resolution of the onboard A/D, gives you 17.5 mV per LSB, not accounting for divider inaccuracies, and reference voltage (assumedly vcc) fluctuations. I'm sure the primary function (bypassing) doesn't need to be terribly accurate, but for people who would use the Mk3s as a substitute for checking each battery w/ a voltmeter, +/- 17.5 mV seems like quite a bit. Do you have a calculated accuracy figure for voltage?

This is a thorny problem... 10bits is really too little, yet that is what most of the cheap micros offer. You can buy offboard 12bit ADC's, but they cost more than the micro ($5-7/each) 12bits at 0-25 volts is about .006V/step

My solution was to pick a oddball chip.. I am using the TI MSP430 series chips which can be purchased with 12 or even 14 bit ADC's onboard. They also have their own (fairly good) onboard voltage reference and a suprisingly good onboard temp sensor. Power management is the best I've seen, with 4 different shutdown modes going all the way down to pico amps, with the ability to stop the main processor clock while still running the ADC on a second low power clock. Dual UARTs in some chips. Bonus is an onboard LCD driver, so each reg can have an optional battery voltage display onboard. They are more expensive than a PIC or Atmel, but so far I think the cost is made up in a reduced number of parts. (My current design involves about 15 parts) Temp is still a problem, every chip we have tested so far drifts with temp but usually in a fairly linear fashion. Close enough that it can probably be adjusted for using software.

I need to think harder about failure modes.. I have clamping zeners on all the inputs, but that won't save the reg if it ever see the pack voltage.

I have tested each subsystem, but now I need to design a board, and I hate using Eagle so I've been avoiding it.

TI also offers a version of the chip designed for use in power meters... it has an onboard co-processor that can read voltage and shunt current and integrate the results. I have no idea if it would work in a noisy DC environment, but it might be worth a try as the start of an E-Meter replacement..

Mark E. Hanson wrote:

Hi,
I've been collecting rain water for my batteries (EV, Wind-UPS, golf cart) in a 30gal cistern tank and it's full of bacteria. Adding a quart Clorox bleach monthly removes the bacteria but it may be harmful for the US145 batteries in my Cushman. Is there a chemist who might know what's safe to add to a cistern to eliminate fungus amongus but not be harmful to batteries? How did people drink this stuff who live in remote villages anyway?
Fungus in water is somewhat uncommon.. is this algae perhaps? (Algae is blue or green in color) Mildew (fungus) happens in damp locations, but seldom in the water itself.

If its algae you need to keep the water in a dark location, rain barrels should be opaque or dark green in color. Mildew one the walls is hard to fix, save for keeping the tank full all the time....

I would lean toward the suggestions to just buy distilled water for the batteries... its not expensive, and unless you are overcharging you should not be going thru gallons of water a month.

Rainwater catchment is great for watering your garden, but leave the water natural, chlorine is not good for the plants.

!DSPAM:44802a94306257718390738!

I actually had a change in my reasoning over a couple beers the other night.
We have to be careful not to confuse a 5 year "payback" on an EV (based on the
savings over the alternative) with a 5 year "payoff" + operating expenses of
that same alternative.

Example: I pay $10k for a used ICE vehicle, pay it off over 5 years AND also
pay $10K worth of gas in that 5 years.  $20K total expense.

OR

I pay $10K for an EV conversion, pay it off over 5 years with the $9K I save
from buying electricity and not gas.  $11K total expense.

How's that for beer logic?

> On 31 May 2006 at 15:00, MIKE & PAULA WILLMON wrote:
>
> > But if I want to prove that just doing a
> > conversion will pay for itself in a reasonable time like 5
> years, I'm affraid I
> > failed on this attempt.
>
> Well, the way I see it is, there are things that are just
> intrinsically
> worth doing.  IMO, there are even things that are intrinsically
> worth
> having, if that makes any kind of sense.  I don't have to respond
> to some
> grim-faced army of institutional investors, thank goodness, nor do
> I need to
> impress anyone with my financial acumen.  Not everything I do has
> to pay for
> itself.  ;-)
>

> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EV List Assistant Administrator

> Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach
> me.
> To send a private message, please use evadm at drmm period net.

Don't use roof water in batteries!!!    Roof water contains dirt, moss,
bird droppings, dissolved atmospheric gasses, etc. Distilled water can be bought for about a dollar per gallon or less.
The pictrue is below.  LR.........
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>