  1) Carnage at Power of DC
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Massive Madness - Buick Electra Conversion?
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Charger Efficiency
  4) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Intermec Car-touchscreen PC (was:) LED Matrix
        by Meta Bus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Small Brushless wheel motor idea
        by sharkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Xebra (or.. ?) advice for FIL
        by Chris & Patrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Hyster Forklift 48V GE Motor, Fork Lift Item number: 7625330408
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Citroen diesel-electric hybrid
        by "Jonathan Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Three questions (was: Announcement of new NEDRA Voltage Divisions)
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Reverse Contactor
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Rookie Needs Advice
        by mark olejarczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Xebra (or.. ?) advice for FIL
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Current Eliminator News!!!!!!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) BB600 NiCD truck runs.
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Rookie Needs Advice
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Massive Madness - Buick Electra Conversion?
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Massive Madness - Buick Electra Conversion?
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) DeWalt's A123-powered line of 36V tools finally arrives
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Rookie Needs Advice
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) An Inconvienient Truth, Hypermini & Who killed the electric car.
 25) Re: Rookie Needs Advice
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Well, not quite.

The Rabbit pickup, under human power (being pushed back from the line by a helpful crew) has apparently run into a scooter or something or maybe somebody - there's an ambulance, but I hear people clapping, so the person must be okay.

There were about a half dozen vehicles to get down track - the MIT solar car at a 40 sec quarter, 3 scooters and motorcycles, the 240SX (13.77), and an MR2. The oddest thing was how silent they were in the middle of a day of thunder.

Hi folks,

One of my co-workers, who I have to admit holds opposing viewpoints to mine on virtually all political and environmental issues, has slowly come around to the suspicion that electric vehicles might be a pretty good idea, and in light of fuel price increases, has even suggested that he might consider building a conversion or buying a used one. While bouncing ideas back and forth the other day, he said:

"What someone really ought to convert is one of those large luxury cars from the 60s or 70s. Remind folks that what they used to have and then show them they can still have it. It would really be an eye-opener at your displays."

His comments got me thinking. I remember someone asking about converting an early 60s Lincoln quite a few years ago on the EVDL and being generally told to forget it. As I recall he was asking for some un-realistic range like 150 miles on the highway and a very low budget. At the time I was driving a Jet 007 with 20 T-105s and a Curtis 1221B so I was having trouble imagining a Lincoln EV even moving.

Before I bought my first Honda, my favorite cars were a 1965 Electra and a 1972 LeSabre. Yesterday morning I found myself looking at a dent and rust free 1975 Electra with a for sale sign on it. Could some one actually convert one of these into a practical electric car? An electric Electra? Am I just nuts, or is this actually a possibility? Say 26-30 T-145s, a 1000 K Zilla and maybe a pair of 9" motors back to back? Sure, it would be heavy, but heck they made limos and hearses out of those things so they can be made to carry some weight. What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
Kansas City, Missouri
EV Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

In medio stat virtus - Virtue is in the moderate, not the extreme position. (Horace)
>  Watthours = Amphours * Volts.    The energy you
>  have to put back into a lead acid pack probably close to  133% of what
> you get out, then factor in your charger efficiency (more  likely closer
> to 80% rather than 90%)  and you are now talking 165%.    My guess is
> that if it actually took 452 whrs per mile from the pack,   then  it
> probably needed close to 750 whrs from the outlet.    Hi,
>
> I don't think it's quite that bad, I measured DC Whr while driving the
> jeep at
>
> 320 WH per mile and at the AC outlet with a watt-hour meter 452 Wh per
> mile.

Are you including equalizing charges in that figure?

Seperating the interface from the display.

We may want to consider designing such a device such that the display is
seperate. A user can buy the signal conditioning and the display or.....
As we come up with more things like Battery Management systems,
Temperature sensors, GPS, controller error messages, telemetry, ... and
so on. We can decide on a common communication protocol and even make
little communication converter bricks for stuff like the siemems
controller or zilla that already have a protocol. Then we can have 1
display for the car, isolated from the HV electrics.

There are now a bunch of little single board computers that might fill
this bill. They have lots of General purpose I/O and low power modes,
but can run an OS to make application programming easy. Kinda the best
of both worlds Microcontrollers and PDA. Today I compiled linux for my
Pocket PC phone (It has a xscale pxa-270) It booted!. The process is the
same if I buy a board. Some of these are < $100 and can drive VGA !

http://www.compulab.co.il/x270/html/x270-sb-datasheet.htm
http://www.toradex.com/e/Factsheet_Colibri_Intel_XScale_PXA270_Single_Board_Computer_Module.php

I am interested in createing a sytem for EV's like this and am
interested in suggestions for a communuication buss.

CAN,RS485,fiber channel,   (this part can go to evtech)

I am also interested in a list of features people would like to see.

My plan so far is a 7" touch screen with function keys around the
periphery and a twidler input (kind of an up,down,left,right select that
can be on the steering wheel. It has a home button so you can navigate
without looking)

The base unit contains the basic emeter functionality but with history
and plugging in a gps reciever extends the history to contain point to
point data and distances.

xml skinnable, useing standard editors, for VDO style pseudo analog or
various digital styles.
we will be able to configure this "digital dash" on a PC and flash it.
If it can be made to go in the dash pod, then we can get tach, speed,
fuel gauges, temp gauges in there. and make it our one display.

alarm,
mp3 player
wireless web server(query the state of charge from inside the house or
download the telemetry collected)
gps,amps,volts,clock
remote door locks
Real error messages
BMS history, advanced warnings
real time limits, ie 400 amp limit to 3/4 throttle, limit removed when
throttle floored < 1 sec application time

(maybe a 2nd cpu for this stuff in the same box),
play a video when not driveing, like runs down the track when at car shows.

This summer is sort-of proof of concept and If this works out, it may
become my masters project.

Hi Jeff, et al,

This is the touchscreen computer I am installing on my bus--

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6888233289

These are circa 1999 PC's, with harsh environment cases, K6-2 CPU's, and limited support (they are surplus).

I actually bought three of these. To me, they provide the perfect platform for a variety of EV functionality, including instrumentation and display. Many of these surplus units have been sold on eBay, and they are designed for in-vehicle use.

If you are interested, read the listing carefully. The seller has two different models (B34 and B24) that have one important difference in the TFT display-- one allows 640x400 and the other also supports 800x600. (And you can hardly distinguish the listings unless you read carefully.)

These are popular with Home Automation folks (see http://www.intellishack.com) many of whom have gathered tech info and supporting drivers, installing Windows XP, 2000, and even Linux.

If you want to get one, be patient. The seller has ~100 left in stock (my latest box arrived with a label "259 of 421"), and you don't want to get into a bidding war-- I've seen many of them sold with a single bidder getting them for the opening bid of $99, and others passed through without bids.

Internally, the three units I received contained an 8 MB Flash drive, plus a 128MB IDE flash in the IDE slot, and had DOS 6.22 installed on the internal 8 MB flash. They have dual serial ports, a parallel port, keyboard, mouse, audio, a single SODIMM slot (containing a PC-100 128MB RAM, which apparently cannot be upgraded beyond that), two older PCMCIA slots (5v only, but type I, II, or III). They use a Gunze touchscreen controller, and Chips & Technologies 65550.

All in all, a nice surplus find, if you have the dash space for it (it is little thicker than a laptop), and are willing to live with the older technology (in a hardened;harsh environment magnesium case).

I never did understand why so many designers/implementors decide to stick with mostly-analog instruments on their dashes-- a nice TFT with 800x600 and some good DAQ and graphics software could do *so* much more than an LED matrix, don't you think? And, a touch of the screen gets you to your moving map display...

(So, if someone wants to find a nice A/D set that can bring the values into one of this computer's ports, I'll volunteer to do the gfx software that displays it like the LED matrix everyone has in their minds).

Regards,
Jim

Jeff Shanab wrote:
[...]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- You don't need or want an SBC IMHO. A uC can do a fine job. They're very low power, now have enormous processing power and feature list, and are just so darn simple.

I have designs and code, I can pretty much make whatever people want.

Danny

Jeff Shanab wrote:

[...]

sharkey wrote:
Neon John wrote:

As for the original question: electrical ratings for motorcycle parts generally include a generous dollop of manufacturer optimism.

Oh, and the other point I was going to make: the generator rotor is also the flywheel, and so it's probably the only part of the bike designed to be as heavy as possible! I can go weigh a typical one for you if you like.

-----sharks  (okay, technically as moment-of-inertia-y as possible)

Greetings EV-ers!

During a recent visit, my father-in-law became intrigued by EVs (we have a
120V Metro). My wife showed him a link to the Xebra press release and he's
thinking about purchasing one:
http://salem-news.com/articles/may82006/Electric_Cars2_5706.php

His usage would likely be for in-town driving (I don't think this could be
taken on 55mph roads, could it?). He lives in a medium-small town outside of
Madison, WI.

I've given him a couple links to look at used EV's (and Cloud EV's
conversions):
http://www.austinev.org/evtradinpost/
http://www.evfinder.com/classifieds.htm
http://www.cloudelectric.com/category.html?UCIDs=881991

I gather from my wife that he'd be more likely to buy something that
required only a minimum of fiddling, and that he wouldn't be interested in
doing the conversion himself.

Any advice or thoughts I can pass along for someone who I think isn't really
into the hobbyist aspect, but simply wants a cool, working, plug-in EV?
Anyone in Wisconsin who has something for sale that might fit, or is driving
something they wouldn't mind showing off (if practical)?

TIA!

Hyster Forklift 48V GE Motor, Fork Lift Item number: 7625330408

  Looks like a usable motor, but you have to pick it up in South Western, IL.
Too far for me to pick up, but maybe someone out there wants it, even to pick
up and resell at a profit.  The thing only weighs 135 lbs.

  Steve

---------------------------------
Be a chatter box. Enjoy free PC-to-PC calls  with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

Danny Miller wrote:
> How much space do most people have available for a display?

I'd guess that you'd want to use T1-3/4 LEDs because they are so
commonly available in high brightness versions. They put you on 0.2"
centers. So a 10x10 display is 2" square.

Is that too big for people?

Merci' for the hybride video links. There is an incorrect statement in the
first one.

In the Boost Function vignette, the announcer states that, in going up a
hill or overtaking, the HDi gets a 35% increase in power without greater
fuel consumption. Those sneaky French persons, now they know how to violate
the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

And, yes, when I first saw literature on the HDi, my response was "Parlez-vous,
PHEV <http://jcwinnie.biz/wordpress/?p=1288>?" There probably was
insufficient room in the spare tyre well, plus they want to commercialize
this product, which means keeping the extra cost down. Though it does seem a
suitable platform for a plug-in, flex-fuel diesel hybrid, doesn't it?

Well said, Bill, especially your note about the membership's 30-day comment
period.

One thing I've been curious about for some time is how the voltage is done.
As you've mentioned, the "nominal" voltage is clear for lead-acid but not so
clear for other chemistries, because other chemistries don't have as wide a
voltage range as lead-acid does.

But putting that question to the side, I've wondered if there is any thought
about what happens if a controller increases the voltage?  Suppose I aim to
break the 24V records by using, say, 30 hawkers in two heavily parallel
packs of 15 each.  Then I use a special step-up controller that takes my
voltage back up to, say, 240V.  Is that still considered a 24V-class
vehicle?

And if that's considered a 240V vehicle, then what about AC drive?  Do we
use RMS equivalence, the same way that 110VAC is really 311V peak-to-peak?

jorg

ps Personally I think it'd be better to use 30-sec peak power output (of the
batteries), instead of voltage, but that's a long discussion for some other
day.

New voltage divisions are very a good idea. As higher voltage packs
appear at the track, it is smart to have more divisions to keep them
from all bunching together in a single category.

Three important subject areas were not addressed in your
announcement, however.

1) What happens with the existing "A" voltage records? Will they be
re-assigned? When (if) these existing records are moved, will "second
place" records, previously set, move into their place? If folks have
the proper documentation, will records set in the past be allowed in
these new categories?

2) How will the voltage of other battery types be placed within these
divisions? The voltages in these divisions were designed for
"nominal" lead-acid voltages. The measured open-circuit voltage of
fully-charged lead-acid batteries is actually 13/12 times these
numbers. Would that be the voltage used for chemistries different
than lead-acid, or would some other formula be used?

3) Doesn't the NEDRA charter require a 30 day member comment period
before new rules go into effect? Since this new rule was just
announced, shouldn't the members have 30 days to comment before it
becomes official? To whom would members send their comments? Where
would the member comments be listed? Where would the answers to the
comments be listed?

         Bill Dube'

At 05:11 AM 6/3/2006, you wrote:
>NEDRA is pleased to announce two new Voltage Divisions. Effectively
>immediately, we are adding two higher voltage divisions for a total
>of 12 in all. This means that there are more record setting
>opportunities for higher voltage vehicles beginning at the Power of
>DC event, this weekend at Hagerstown, Maryland. Please see the Power
>of DC site at http://www.powerofdc.com for all event details.
>
>We are seeing a major trend at the track toward higher voltages, so
>we wanted to provide some additional divisions for these higher
>voltage competitors. As the previously highest voltage division was
>designated "A", these two new divisions will be designated "A2" and
>"A3" respectively.
>
>All the NEDRA voltage divisions are currently based on multiples of
>nominal 12 volt batteries.
>
>New NEDRA Voltage Divisions
>----------------------------------
>Division A3 - 349 Volts and above
>Division A2 - 301 Volts - 348 Volts
>Division A - 241 Volts - 300 Volts
>Division B - 193 Volts - 240 Volts
>Division C - 169 Volts - 192 Volts
>Division D - 145 Volts - 168 Volts
>Division E - 121 Volts - 144 Volts
>Division F - 97 Volts - 120 Volts
>Division G - 73 Volts - 96 Volts
>Division H - 49 Volts - 72 Volts
>Division I - 25 Volts - 48 Volts
>Division J - 24 Volts and below
>
>All NEDRA record setters and record breakers receive a pair of
>Oakley Sunglasses.
>
>See you at the races!
>
>-Ken Trough
>NEDRA Public Relations

On Jun 3, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Wayne wrote:
I honestly haven't read or heard anything about a reverse contactor (if I did its long forgotten).

This seems to me to be a pretty nice way to avoid some/all shifting. Could someone direct me to some references with regards to a reverse contactor, its installation and proper uses, advantages or disadvantages?

Here's a place to purchase one:

<http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php? id=615&product_id=1951>

Thanks in advance...

Wayne White

If those of us who "can", "do" then those of us who "can't" won't suffer as much from the high prices of excess.

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

On Jun 4, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Lee Hart wrote:

Cor van de Water wrote:
I wonder if there is an interest in "kits" built of this
10x10 display for EVs.

I am interested!  US$50 - $100?

I'd like the kit to have the following features:

- programmable by inserting LEDs into sockets
- easy instructions for determining the correct programming (e.g. a worksheet with blanks to fill in, or a website with an applet that can draw you a picture)
- LEDs along the side and bottom to indicate volts and amps
- automatic brightness compensation
- optional housing of some sort

Danny Miller wrote:
How much space do most people have available for a display?

I'd guess that you'd want to use T1-3/4 LEDs because they are so
commonly available in high brightness versions. They put you on 0.2"
centers. So a 10x10 display is 2" square.

How about if the LEDs are in sockets (for ease of programming the display)?

Is that too big for people?

Not for me.  I have an old car with lots of dashboard space.

A 2in square matrix should fit into a 3in diameter circle. This is a standard automotive gauge size. Perhaps that's the form factor for the kit? There would be space on the sides for additional LEDs for volt/amp indicators, too.

Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA
<http://learn-something.blogsite.org/>

Dear Group,

  I am a beginner with a strong interest / passion to convert an S-10 to an EV.
I have subscribed to 2 discusssion lists, but all of you folks seem to be well
beyond me.

  I am trying to pull together a plan. I want to purchase a conversion kit and
go for it. My needs list would include:

   Minimal Cost
   Highway Speeds
   Normal Hills
   Maximum Distance.
   220 volt single phase charger
  I guess the first question is AC or DC. In reading several websites it
appears DC is the better choice for lightweight autos, whereas, it seems that
the S-10 is considered a heavyweight vehicle. Therefore, use the AC approach?

  Transmission - Manual Transmission or Direct Drive behind the axle. I do not
have a clue what is better!

  Batteries - What should I go with given the cost / life /performance
tradeoffs?

  Could you folks please make a recommendation, to a rookie, on these first few
decisions?

  Thanks and Regards,

  Mark Olejarczyk
  Copley, OH

Do ya'll live near Salem Oregon where you could drop by and see it in
operation? They are very helpful at that dealership.

My thoughts about it were that it's great, if you'd normally be happy with
one of the golf-cart NEV's but require just a bit more speed and comfort. He
says they'll do 40MPH. For an enclosed EV, the under $10K price is tempting.
Fit and finish isn't bad considering it's Chinese made. I was also very
tempted, until I recalled the Yugos my SO's father bought her sisters.

For winter use, I'd certainly consider installing a 110V heater inside. Plug
it in, and you'd be toasty warm when you run errands.

> During a recent visit, my father-in-law became intrigued by EVs (we have a
> 120V Metro). My wife showed him a link to the Xebra press release and he's
> thinking about purchasing one:
> http://salem-news.com/articles/may82006/Electric_Cars2_5706.php

<< Subj:     Re:Current Eliminator News!!!!!!
 Date:  6/4/06 9:54:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Hower)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 Dennis,
 Congratulations!!!
 With the cost of gas in the news everyday I would
 think
 the national news should be doing a story on this and
 get even more EV press.
 Keep up the good work!
 Rod

 --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 > After a long week of racing great news,we took over
 > the NHRA Summit Super Pro
 > points lead. The final round 2am. Again my .00
 > reaction times played a huge
 > factor, but the CE also did its job. Of the 5 round
 > wins I redialed the car 4
 > times. The motor temp started at 113F and ended the
 > night at 116F.
 > The batteries started at 121F and ended at 128F. The
 > track temp. started at
 > 151F and ended at 97F. It was a warm night to race
 > in a double layer race suit
 > siting 4 inches off the track. I am sure I lost at
 > least 5lbs. Of the 5 round
 > wins 4 cars were quicker than 8.5 seconds. 2 racers
 > broke out by .003. Last
 > night was huge in that the points leader lost in the
 > 1st round and I went all
 > the way. I now have at least a 4 round advantage in
 > 1st place. 3rd 4th and 5th
 > places fell further behind as I took them out early.
 > Again these are the
 > Division champs at my track for the last 3 years so
 > I now have more points then any
 > other NHRA div track. HUGE EV PRESS.
 >

 > Dennis Berube
 >  >>
I forgot to mention the prizes,$1000,large trophy,car ramps,jacks and roll
around.    Dennis

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Well, the truck is running, sort of. The batteries are still on their first charge, and using the Dolphin at 2 amp rate it will probably be another 30 hours before all the cells are full. Whee.

Likewise, the Dolphin is heavily "rigged". The +15 is being provided by a 60 watt DC-AC converter from the truck battery that runs my 1a bench supply that provides +16 to the LM317 in the truck. Bit weird, but it works.

This thing is *QUICK*. Zips right up my driveway, faster than the Prizm. I need a 12 volt DC-DC converter (hm, maybe another 12-120 adapter :-) to run the E-meter, but I don't think the batteries sag one tiny bit at 200a. Even partially charged.

Plus there is the weight issue. The standard S10 pack weighs about 1,900lbs for a 60 mile range. This pack weighs in at 750lbs for a 35 mile range. So we are 1,200 pounds light right now.

Someday it will be finished. In the meantime it does move.....

HI Mark,

Please put some numbers in your requirements for range speed etc.. and also cost. Then we can try our best with some recommendations.

Cheers

From: mark olejarczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Rookie Needs Advice
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 16:54:57 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Group,

[...]

New year, new job – there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT
I don't see much difference between a 75 Electra and Roland's El Camino. About
the same general size and aerodynamics.

Think about it they got what 17 mpg with a monster V-8? An S-10 gets 17 mpg
with a V-6. Why wouldn't an Electra be able to do at least as good as an S-10.

Stay Charged!

Hump

[...]

I was reminded how inefficient heavy cars are when in my New Beetle I was
low on battery power and had to go over a few hills to get home.  Hills suck
a lot of energy and when the car is heavy, they suck **a lot** of energy.
And these aren't big hills either.

For acceleration they suck tons of power too. Once rolling is fine though.

My next car will be light.  Plain and Simple and efficient.

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

forth the other day, he said:

[...]

Stopped by my local Home Depot today to pick up a few things.  As I've been
doing for each of the last several weeks, I passed by the tool section to
see if there was any trace of DeWalt's new A123-powered line of 36V power
tools.  Well, finally, today, after having been vaporware for months, there
they were.  Still no change or update in A123's website, however, as they've
been promising.  Not much there on the cells, no comprehensive specs.

Although the data coming out of Bill Dube's KillaCycle experience with these
A123 cells should be more relevant for us EVers, it will nevertheless be of
interest and provide an additional perspective and datapoint to see what
contractors' experience will be with these batts in a power tool application
and what they have to say about them, especially how they stack up with
Milwaukee's E-One Moli-powered 28V line, which has gained an excellent
reputation in the field, from what I've heard.

Long way to go yet on these A123 batts for us EVers, especially with respect
to development of larger capacity, 100-200Ah cells, but at least the smaller
cells are now starting to get out there for broad-based, widespread field
testing in power tool apps.

Charles Whalen

>   I am trying to pull together a plan. I want to purchase a
conversion kit and go for it. My needs list would include:

>    Minimal Cost
>    Highway Speeds
>    Normal Hills
>    Maximum Distance.
>    220 volt single phase charger
>   I guess the first question is AC or DC. In reading several
websites it appears DC is the better choice for lightweight autos,
whereas, it seems that the S-10 is considered a heavyweight vehicle.
Therefore, use the AC approach?

No, the first question is ALWAYS how much are you willing to spend?

(P.S.-If you say less than $5000, you better be into recycling used
parts, more than likely DC stuff.)

If the answer is somewhere north of $50,000, then you might make all
your wishes come true. Nowadays, that much *might* get you a used RAV4
EV with 78mph top speed and >125mi range (depending on whether other
eBay members get that rabid bidding fever that follows no reason).

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Saw the Al Gore Movie on Global warming. In the trailers Who Killed the Electric Car trailer was there & a New Movie With Woodie Allen shows Woodie Driving a Hypermini in an outragious way. The Al Gore Movie did mention cars as a part of the problem of global warming. LR.....
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
Vegetable Oil Car.
415-821-3519
Hello Mark,
There are several EV'rs close to you.
I live in Portage Lakes area and have converted a 1984
Pontiac Fiero, a 1986 S10 pickup, and have owned a
1994 Dodge TEVan (an EV produced by Dodge).  I also
have several other EV's like 2 go-carts for the kids
(including this big kid) and a Club-Car golf cart.
I also have a GE-Elec Trak electric riding mower.
David Roden lives in Clinton (I think that is the
mailing address?) and James Weirick who bought my
electric Fiero and now drives a kit car that has a
range of 80 miles.  The locals really need to form an
EV club, but nobody has stepped up to the plate.
Anyhow, there are several people close by that can
help out with your conversion.
As a new EV builder I would suggest going with a DC
system with 6V golf cart flooded batteries, preferably
120 to 144Volts in the bed of the truck.  When you get
more experianced with EV's you can look at more
advanced systems like AC.
Give me a call for more information, 330-677-3875
or 330607-3760 Cell.
Rod
www.qsl.net/w8rnh