  1) RE: Motor sizing.
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Pusher trailer - registration / plates?
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Advice for FIL: NEV, Hybrid, or...?
        by Chris & Patrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Electric/EV basic knowledge
        by Chris & Patrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Reflections on "Who Killed the EV" Seattle Style
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Electric/EV basic knowledge
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Pusher trailer - registration / plates?
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Temp Compensation for PFC?
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Electric/EV basic knowledge
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Pusher trailer - registration / plates?
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) [weights and] airbags
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Soldering terminals to 2/0 welder cable ??
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Pusher trailer - registration / plates?
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) FW: Soldering terminals to 2/0 welder cable ??
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Pusher trailer - registration / plates?
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Soldering terminals to 2/0 welder cable ??
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) EV parts
        by Jimmy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Flying out to San Francisco this weekend
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Soldering terminals to 2/0 welder cable ??
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Current Eliminator News!!!!!!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) TO Rick Mills
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Fw: KillaCycle at Ohio State University
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
 At the moment I hear the ADC has a stronger commutator than the warp 9
version, either-way, I think I would get in touch with Jim of hi-torque
electric about building you up a motor, he does some extra banding and
insulating that makes them more appropriate for peppy road use. He also
has occasional access to cores for the build and maybe can build you up
a motor for close to the new price.

My 300zx weights 4050 (with me and tools) and with a Jim Hustedized warp
9, the stock tranny, and a zilla 1khv. It was very peppy at 208V and
would lay strips of rubber. I then increased it to 288V and blew up the
commutator, (pictures on Jim Husted site as well as cvevs.jfs-tech.com )
When I got it all back togather and started driving it to work every day
I found I was a little dissappointed with the performance at first, but
I was accelerating faster than I thought I was, kind of an sensory
deprivation hypnosis. With no motor noise to speak of and not needing to
shift through the first 3 gears, You think you are lollygagging along.
When I start from a light next to a sports car, I am in second. The cars
next to me shift 1-2-3 while I am in second and 4-5 while I shift to 3rd
then 4th. (I haven't dared try 5th yet, car needs suspension work and a
speedometer) The motor seems to bog at launch and come alive at about
3000-4000 rpm, I feel (seat of the pants measurment) that the timing is
too far advance for such a heavy vehicle.

In retrospect, with the rear wheel drive setup, I could of avoided the
clutch adapter and tranny adapter and done the dual motor method.  It
would cost more up front, but would have been well worth it.

Since we are limited to 170Volts on the DC motors, the higher the pack
voltage the longer you can run before the voltage sag makes you stop
driving and the less amp draws from the pack. The benifit is the car
drives the same when fully charged as when it is empty.(downside, easy
to reverse a cell if not monitored). If your system is lower voltage
then you will be forced to slow down as the SOC goes down. The smaller
the voltage difference, the more amps from the pack is needed, the more
pukert rears it's head and the less spiritedness you get out of it.

2 motors in series would have been twice the torque at launch but tied
to the rear without a tranny balances out because 2nd gear was 2: 1,
then shifting into parallel is the same as 4th gear, except i would have
twice the torque in high gear because there are 2 motors.  The
controller is the limit at that point. The zilla has providions for this
series paralle and electrical reversing scenario.

Anyone done a dual motor fiero?
  Can this be done? 2 motors in series will differential so building up
a dual stubby motor with seperate shafts and one to each wheel would
work , what about when they are in parallel, will they still allow
gracefull turning?

A few people on the list have built pusher trailers.  How have they handled
registering them?  Here in GA, I believe they must be registered as a seperate
entity.  Would they be registered as a trailer, two wheel motor vehicle (motor
cycle), or something else?

  What if the pusher trailer wasn't a trailer at all.  What if it was just a
shortened powered axle permanently attached / hanging off the back of your car
- smaller and permanent.  Then, would it be considered part of the base car?

  My idea is a little out there.  I have implied it before, but I basically
want to take an existing ICE car (small car) and build an appendage off the
back consisting of two 7" diameter motors driving two small motor cycle wheels
through two chains.  I would remove the back bumper off the car and bolt this
contraption where the bumper used to go.  I'd have to have a bumper on the
trailer I believe to pass a safety inspection.  Batteries like any other EV, in
the trunk, where the back seat used to be, and where the passanger seat used to
be.  This is a 1 seater car with no payload capacity driven by 12 x 12 V = 144
V through a 1k amp controller.  The existing accelerator is rigged so that is
can be manually changed to either drive the ICE or pot box on the controller,
but not both.  Anytime, the car is driven, the engine must idle, but as long as
the pack has at least 20% capacity remaining it runs on the electric motors
only, even up to highway speed (65 MPH).  If it runs
 the battery too low, you have to pull over and manually reconfigure the car to
run on the ICE only.  Never both at the same time.  It's a "poor man's PHEV"

  So, what do you think?

  I know it can be technically built, and not that expensive to build the
trailer contraption or appendage to the base car as I call it.  But, I'm not
sure if it is legal, implications for traction control of the existing rear
wheels of the car, ...  Registration? ... Insurance?

  Technically, it would work and probably get better milage than the PHEV's
that other prople are building.  Maybe, maybe not on that one.  I haven't done
any calculations yet.  After all, my ICE is only running at idle.  If you put
this on a Prius, you wouldn't need gas at all .. But, I heard you can't 4
wheens down tow that thing, so maybe it wouldn't work.  Too bad on that one
because that was my original plan.

  I am open to any and all comments, like if anyone has ever tried this in the
early days of EVs.

  I really don't think the trailer should be called a motor vehicle because it
has no driver or passengers and it cannot move under its own power.  The
controller and batteries are in the base car.  It may be a fine line on the
law, and I'm not sure I even want to try to explain this to the DMV.

  Steve

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will pass on to FIL!

BTW - Took my family to see Who Killed The Electric Car last night, and
greatly enjoyed it. In fact, the whole family did, down to our 12 yr old.
Eldest Daughter now wants her first car to be an EV or a plugin hybrid - IF
- she can't get by WITHOUT a car! How's that for inspirational power?

Did anyone else feel like washing their hands after watching the Auto-maker
CEO's squirm during Clinton's press conference (where he extolled the
virtues of EV's, etc)?
:-P

Thanks again!
- Patrick

Thank you everyone for your input and advice.

I have a couple of introductory books on order, a couple of websites
bookmarked, an X-in-one Electronics workshop/kit ordered from my favorite
catalog (American Science & Surplus - dang, you can get ANYTHING there!),
and will probably order some of Lee's kits as well.

That should be enough to get me started, I would think... ;-)
Waiting for the bus on the UW campus the other evening, Eldest Daughter
pulled me out of the rain to show me the nifty formula car mounted on the
wall in the stairwell of the Mechanical Engineering building. Hmm....
Mechanical Engineering... (AKA "so many interesting things to learn about,
so little time..")
;-)

FWIW, I also really liked the idea of taking an automotive course at a CC.
While I've done simple things like changing oil, replacing
alternators/batteries and once did a break job on an old AMC wagon that
required a small sledgehammer, I still find myself hesitant with cars - I'm
convinced I'll screw it all up, I guess! A class would give me some kind
experience and confidence I would hope, which I think is all I need to get
started. Harder to fit that in the schedule, though..

Thanks again everyone!
- Patrick

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- (Please excuse if this is a douplication, but my computer/and Makafee said it "did not go thru" first time out...)

When I arrived on Pine Street, the LINE for the movie was all the way round the Block. Rushed over and started to handing out my little paper "Knock-Off's " of the little hand out that San Francisco EVA were handing out... ( the electric car - NOT DEAD YET )

Didn't have time to park my INSIGHT.."Eco-Man" TWICE people from the Egyptian Theater came out and said..."Hay man, your in a Bus Zone - Your gonna get towed away" I finally had to tell them..."Go AHEAD..This is MORE IMPORTANT"

So the doors opened, people got in, and I parked my car.

As I walked in the lobby... BOY was I in for a surprise !!
There was Chris Paine - the Director Ms. Chelsea Sexton - X GM EV1 advocate, and Wally Rippel - Engineer from aerovironment on the original Impact/EV1 Project..! I DIDN'T KNOW THEY WERE GOING TO BE HERE !!

The REAL Punch-Line of the movie was that there IS hope and its name is PHEV, LiIon batteries, and Renewable Energy !!

After the film, which was very well received with many outbursts of applause, and laughter, we all walked over to Pike St. to a little restaurant/lounge. Chris Paine has several friends he grew up with that LIVE in the Seattle Area. So we have the local connection. Our SEVA group consisted of Me, and my wife Donna, Dave Cloud, Rod Wilde, Rich Rudman, Don "Father Time" Crabtree, Ryan Fulcher,and a couple of new members who I do not know well yet.

It is so great watching our folks inter-act with these "celebrities" Watching Rich go head-to-head with Chelsea. Rod Wilde discussing electronics with Wally Rippel.

Saturday there was an equally well attended show at 11 am at the Neptune Theatre in the U-District. Several more SEVA members showed up. I offered to answer questions after the film, but management did not Bite. So we took it outside. A lively discussion ensued with the CEO of AFS Trinity, Ed. Furia. (After the transportation conference at Microsoft last week, Ed had dinner with none other than R. James Woolsey !) Ed is a passionate guy with a dream of a hybrid/hybrid with batteries, ultracaps, and hybrid system... We wish him the BEST.

In closing... The BIG NEWS is that the film is going to OPEN to the General Public in Seattle on July 14th. We are already at work with folks from Puget Sound Solar ( who know Chris Paine from Grade School ) on a Gala PARTY to follow the evening of the Seattle Opening !!! We will be hoping to get some financial support from SONY PICTURES, and Electric Entertainment... WE can do the foot work...

We'll keep you POSTED

SEVA MEMBERS !!!   See you Tuesday Night at our monthly meeting....
--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

On 10 Jun 2006 at 15:21, Chris & Patrick wrote:

> [I] once did a break job on an old AMC wagon that
> required a small sledgehammer ...

Yep, those AMC Sportabouts and Pacers were darn hard to break.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  ;-)

Obligatory EV content : anybody here remember the Change-of-Pace?

http://www.amcpacer.com/stories/electric-pacer.html

Check out that photo.  It looks like they crammed at least 8 golf car
batteries under the hood.  Not bad.

It was converted near me, in Cleveland, during the late 1970s.  The sad part
is that I never even knew about it at the time.  That's how good (not) their
PR was.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please use evadm at drmm period net.

I believe they are just registered as a home made trailer.

My concern with a permanent installation as you describe is the extra weight and friction you'd have whether you need it or not. With a trailer, it stays parked until you need it.

[...]

Has anybody tried making a circuit for the PFC chargers that adjusts the
acceptance voltage for temperature?  A while back Joe and Rich mentioned
that they may be able to modify a reg.  I was wondering if someone as
actually has done this.

thanks
Don

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Anybody with actual experience with one of these cars? They look like the old aircraft generators that we stopped using more than 20 years ago - which would explain the amazingly low prices.

I would issue a huge Buyer Beware on this outfit.

Shari Prange

Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

> Obligatory EV content : anybody here remember the Change-of-Pace?
>
> http://www.amcpacer.com/stories/electric-pacer.html
>
> Check out that photo.  It looks like they crammed at least 8 golf car
> batteries under the hood.  Not bad.
>
> It was converted near me, in Cleveland, during the late 1970s.  The
sad part
> is that I never even knew about it at the time.  That's how good
(not) their
> PR was.

To quote "Wayne's World", we're not worthy! Anyone on the list have one?

Steve wrote:
A few people on the list have built pusher trailers. How have they handled registering them? Here in GA, I believe they must be registered as a seperate entity. Would they be registered as a trailer, two wheel motor vehicle (motor cycle), or something else?

It is just another home made trailer. I was concerned because it already had the VIN number from the donor car, but they issued a new one on a metal tag I riveted to the tongue. After reflecting on that a bit, it occurred to me that the existing VIN was not relavent. When folks cut off an old pickup to make a trailer they don't keep the VIN from the pickup. It is a "new" trailer made from used vehicle parts. The existing numbers don't matter.

Missouri only requires a one-time inspection on home built trailers, just to verify it is actually a home built unit. It is done by any licensed inspection station. The state sent me a title that says year 2006, make HMDE body style UTILI.

What if the pusher trailer wasn't a trailer at all. What if it was just a shortened powered axle permanently attached / hanging off the back of your car - smaller and permanent. Then, would it be considered part of the base car?

That sounds like simply a modification to the existing vehicle. Like adding a "tag" axle to truck or bus.

[...]

Why idle the engine?

  So, what do you think?

Bob Schnevis (sp?) built a Fiat X-1/9 this way at one time. Otmar mentioned it several years ago. I think he said it as a gas car with an electric tag axle, then an electric car with a single gas powered pusher wheel. It might be in the archives somewhere.

I know it can be technically built, and not that expensive to build the trailer contraption or appendage to the base car as I call it. But, I'm not sure if it is legal, implications for traction control of the existing rear wheels of the car, ... Registration? ... Insurance?

What kind of donor car? Honestly, I am afraid the whole thing could be too heavy and unwieldily. As I have said before, I think it would be easier to add rear electric drive to a 4 wheel drive car like a Civic Wagon or a Subaru Justy and dispense with the extra axle. Keep the ICE drive to the front wheel, just direct drive the rear differential with an 8" or 9" motor to drive the rear wheels.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
Kansas City, Missouri
EV Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

In medio stat virtus - Virtue is in the moderate, not the extreme position. (Horace)
> I would hesitate to transplant one into a car
> that didn't have one in the first place.

What about a conversion of a vehicle with airbags?

(I'm not sure the question applies to my current EV,
which was converted by a stranger,
so no-one knows what was ripped out)

Maybe some html-savvy person could offer to help them out?
<http://www.e-volks.com>

--- David Roden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wish them the best.  But I'm afraid their homepage won't gain
> them many
> well-educated customers.  It appears to have been haphazardly
> coded,
> producing a strange text layout.  The words "instead of part of
> the" are
> spread out across one entire line in my browser, and two long
> series of
> hyphens appear in the middle of another line.  It's also too wide
> for a 1024
> x 768 browser window, and requires sideways scrolling to see
> everything. What a nuisance.
>
> The homepage is also rife with misspelled words and careless
> punctuation.
>
> Today a website is a substantial part of every company's public
> face.  You'd
> think that even if E-Volks's webmaster had some literacy problems,
> they
> could have found someone with a decent high school education to
> proofread the page before they posted it.
>
> I don't advocate the "all style, no content" approach to websites,
> but this
> is no better.  IMO it doesn't do much to enhance the reputation of
> EV builders in general.  Bummer.

They do tend to offer lower voltage and lower speed cars, which is
easier on components. They did have one of their cars at the show,
and I did see it run -- you can see a short video I posted at
<http://9electric.evforge.net/evolks>. Their designs seem to be
optimized for low cost.

--- Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anybody with actual experience with one of these cars?  They look
> like the old aircraft generators that we stopped using more than 20
> years ago - which would explain the amazingly low prices.
>
> I would issue a huge Buyer Beware on this outfit.

Oddly, this subject has never come up before. =)

jmygann wrote:

Newbie here .....

Is it best to crimp and solder or just solder ? Special method or solder ?? Gap between insulation and ends ? Heat shrink tubing ?

As a possible answer, do a Google search on "EV Pusher Rabbit"... or look at
www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm  You can ask how they got their rigs past
inspections.

I spoke Sharkey a number of years ago... a resident of our town, but we
spoke online. He bought his converted Rabbit EV for a couple grand (a real
bargain) and started playing w/ the idea of a pusher. I don't know if he was
the first to build one, but he worked independently. I think he got the idea
from another Oregon resident, but can't say for sure.

Actually, from the few times I've seen him around, I'm not sure he drives
his car on batts.

Of course, every state's registration is different. Only your local DMV
could say for sure. It is attached to the vehicle and controlled by the
driver. If it's illegal, then all the new busses our city is buying should
also be illegal. (They are accordion busses... engine in the rear pusher
trolley.)