  1) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Some more questions.
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: airbags
        by Jimmy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) DO NOT OPEN "New Graphic Site" emails
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Auto Engine Block Heater Systems, charging outlets.
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Some more questions.
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: stainless steel & battery acid?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Battery V matching
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Smart chargers and shunt regs
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Auto Engine Block Heater Systems
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: FLA Charging Scheme
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: DO NOT OPEN "New Graphic Site" emails
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: FLA Charging Scheme
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: DO NOT OPEN "New Graphic Site" emails
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: stainless steel & battery acid?
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Motor sizing.
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Looking for EVI ICS200B Avcon powerpacks
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Central Battery clamper/regulator board
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Cheap small display device (was Re: LED Matrix (was etc.)
 22) Looking for EVI ICS200B Avcon powerpacks
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Central Battery clamper/regulator board
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Motor sizing.
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: Central Battery clamper/regulator board
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Interpoles/timing/regen, oh my!
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Motor sizing.
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) RE: Central Battery clamper/regulator board
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: PHEV - speed? (Prius, mechanically speaking 72mph ev mode)
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
> If I'm understanding it correctly, "turnkey" means all you need to
convert
> the VW or Metro yourself, less the rolling chassis, cables, batteries,
> battery boxes, misc gear, and labor. I also don't see that a charger is
> included. What you do get (http://www.e-volks.com/about.html3.html) is a
> (surplus/new) motor, clamps, and controller.

The Alltrax kits also list ammeter, shunt, voltmeter, adapter and
shaft coupler, contactor, 20' of 2/0 cable, fuse, charger, pot-box, 8
high-current lugs, and 16 bolt-on battery lugs.

Other than the coupler and adapter, the rest is found online. You'll
save shipping by buying better lugs and the heavy 2/0 cable from a
local welding supply, and they often have fancy crimpers available for
rent or loan.

Here's the charger source -
http://www.batteryservice.com/products_final.aspx?ModelNumber=SE-1072

Surplus Center has a couple hundred of what looks like this motor -
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006061223012534&item=6-936&catname=

The Alltrax and pot-box can be found a lot of places, but here's one -
 http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/inv.htm

Most listees already know this stuff - e-volks is for those who don't.

Hi All,

I have a few more questions that I have not seen directly on the list.

If I am using an old forklift motor at its rated voltage with electric reversing do I keep the brushes at neutral? The impression I have been getting is that the brush advance is only needed if I am going to run the motor at a voltage above its rated design and then electric reversing throws a wrench in the works.

How far above the rated design voltage can you push a motor? And how do you know what the current draw can safely be? Is it just decided by the motor temperature? Is that why everyone seems to be using external cooling fans on the larger conversions?

I am wanting to use a reversing contactor from an EV1 controller that was on the forklift. The coils on the relay are labeled "Int. 24V Cont. 18V" which I earlier asked about creating the 18 volt signal thinking that I needed to pull them in with 24V and then hold them in at 18V. I am now planning on re-connecting the power poles so that I will only energize the coils for reverse and am wondering if the Int. 24V might mean intermittent which would allow me to use a 24V signal just when I want to back up which I expect to be only short durations like under a minute.

My project is up on the EVDL photo album site at
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/751
and a much larger diary is at
http://www.indele.com/ANOTHER.htm

respectfully,
John

58 electric servi-car in progress
I have a 95 Solectria E10 with the stock airbag.  When is the airbag
system considered "old and unreliable" 10, 15, 20 years? and when it is
considered unreliable, do I have to replace all the parts ad-infinitum -
including the switch if I want to turn it off?
Jimmy

> From: Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [weights and] airbags
>
> Seth Rothenberg wrote:
>
> >>I would hesitate to transplant one into a car
> >>that didn't have one in the first place.
> >What about a conversion of a vehicle with airbags?

> Don't worry too much, several people here have done conversions of cars
> with airbag systems.  Just identify which components are part of the
> airbag systems and leave them alone.  Airbag wiring is usually in yellow
>
> loom and connectors.  Most vehicles have one or two sensors in the
> grill/bumper area.  Do not mount anything near them if possible, and
> avoid stiffening the vehicle in front of them.  There is also often a
> sensor mounted on the firewall, inside or out (although sometimes this
> one is part of the airbag computer).  Many systems rely on comparing the
>
> deacceleration of the front sensors to the firewall sensor, a
> significant difference (indicating the front of the vehicle is
> crumpling) triggers the system.

I don't usually do this, but I have seen a lot of these today

The subject line is: New Graphic Site. The "TO" line will usually have some
smutty Yahoo! Group name. It may or may not have an attachment. DO NOT OPEN the
attachment! It contains the [EMAIL PROTECTED] worm. The latest updates from
your AV will protect you, but don't open it. It will get into your email
address book and mail itself to everyone in there.

In case you are wondering, I wrote this, it isn't a foreward, and it IS real.

~~If you sometimes get the sudden urge to run around naked,
 drink some Windex:  It will keep you from streaking.~~

Dave

A little more content has been added. My friend took some pictures
and I added them to the web page. You might need to hit "refresh" to
see them:

    <http://9electric.evforge.net/evolks/>

Hi Bill an' EVerybody;

   At the Earth Day Ho Hah a few months ago Dan Malloy, running on the Dem,
I think? Party. Stopped by the Rabbit, checked it out thought EV's were 'way
cool> I asked him if he gets Gov ship of Corrupticut IF he could get 120/240
volt plugins at the freeway rest stops. He thought it was a great idea when
I gave him the Chicken an' egg thing, like If you build it, they will come.
Loved that movie" Fieldof Dreams"I mentioned that a sorta cottage industry
COULD come to pass in CT building EV's I hit home with a lot of stuff. So I
sed that He had my vote. Now, let's see??

    I had my half hour of fame on live Radio WPKN in Bridgeport, covered
alota stuff. The Best Govt. Oil Money can buy, I didn't say General Murders,
I was nice about it, but DID blast GM for killing the EV-1.And EVerybody
else involved. Had to cram a bit to get alota stuff on the air. Maybe I need
my own Pogram?I mean becides playing my Victrola record collection.

   The whole plug thing boils down to " What's in it for ME?" the stores etc
SHOULD get a tax break or something for having the plug in's. At least to
start, Til that a plug is bringing in more bizs to the stores.Like a
restaurant. Perfect, stuff yur face and CAR at the same time. Like I did at
the Bob Even's Restaurant in Joliet.Those nice outside outlets were nice! I
suggested to the builders of our new elementery school to put in some EV
outlets. They thought it was a nice idea, but I don't think they will,
although it would be easy to do during construction.Sidelite, Bill an' I
drove my Rabbit from CT to Worcester MA, stopping at Wendys to eat and plug
in. English wasn't the language of choice there; more confusion asking about
charging. Hmmmm, sorta lioke So Cal.<g>!

   My two outlets worth.

From: "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Motor sizing.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:23:07 -0500

[...]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Another way would be stay with one per battery then run a fiber back to a main controller. Basic fiber connectors and cables are getting really cheep (more of a light pipe VS a fiber). This way you can make a large receiver card (or chain multiples) and not have to worry about HV near your low voltage control circuits.

Later,
Wire

From: "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: Central Battery clamper/regulator board
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:44:48 -0700

Mike Phillips wrote:

> When a fellow EV driver told me about his single point wiring
> setup for his truck, it got me thinking.

I am also a fan of the centralised mounting of regs/clampers, for the
reasons you mention.

The advantage of locating discrete regs at the batteries is that of
modularity/scalability.  If you have a single PCB that serves N
batteries, it is inevitable that N will be the wrong number for almost
every other EVer.  Either I will have to pay for a PCB/system that is
capable of far more batteries than I need, or I will need to buy some
multiple of these PCBs to cover my pack, in the worst case having some
number of fully utilised PCBs and one with just one battery connected to
it.

If you wanted to make a centralised system, I would suggest that a way
to go might be a motherboard/daughterboard system so that the
regs/clampers are still one battery per PCB, but each has an edge
connector (or similar) allowing it to plug into a motherboard slot.
Make the motherboards as inexpensive as possible and either available in
different sizes or some reasonable intermediate size (8 slots? 10 slots?
16 slots) with the ability to daisy chain multiple motherboards for
large systems (if there is actually any need for connections between
reg/clampers such as REGBUS).

The downside of this is that of the reliability issues associated with
any sort of connector.

  I checked my 7" SepEx motor and it does *not* have interpoles.  It's a Schaef
Hyster pump 36V motor I'm running at 72V in my Cushman runs up to 170F after an
hour of driving home. I'm driving 300 miles per week or 60 miles per day x 5.
I'm presently running with a series field ring however since matched
SepEx/regen controls are pricey and not guaranteed to work with my motor.

  With regards to timing and improvimg efficiency, Doug Weathers said that
nuetral timing is the best for efficiency.  I'm near the end of my range, 27
miles to work (30 mile range) with 72V worth of US-145's in a 2100lb Cushman
(covered with solar panels, only 75W, 2 miles per day).

  My top rpm's are 5000 @ 45mph but at cruising mostly 4000 rpm's (35mph).  I
also need oomph to start off in a direct drive vehicle.  So would I stoill
loose efficiency by advancing 7 degrees or what would be a good SepEx control
that would boost the voltage enough on a 36V motor to charge a 72V battery?

> A little more content has been added. My friend took some pictures
> and I added them to the web page. You might need to hit "refresh" to
> see them:
>
>     <http://9electric.evforge.net/evolks/>

What's with the rheostat when Alltrax has a SepEx controller available?

Peter Shabino wrote:

> Another way would be stay with one per battery then run a
> fiber back to a main controller.

> This way you can make a large receiver card (or chain
> multiples) and not have to worry about HV near your low
> voltage control circuits.

There are certainly many ways to skin a cat ;^>

I'm not sure I appreciate the benefit of this approach as it still
results in the individual regs/clampers being located at the batteries,
and so they would need to each be protected from the environment, and
there would still be all the issues associated with getting rid of the
heat they produce, etc.

In this case, the fiber interconnecting them to a central controller
would really just be performing the function of the (already isolated)
REGBUS on Rudman Regs (for instance).  Are there fiber
cables/transmitters/receivers available now that are cost competitive
with an opto or two at each end and a CAT5 patchcord, especially
considering that the fiber network would presumably require a run of
fiber from each battery to the main controller (star topology) while the
REGBUS approach daisy chains the regs together?

I'm not a big fan of the RJ connectors Rich uses for the REGBUS
connections on his regs, but other than that one nit I think the daisy
chain connection scheme is a pretty good approach.

On 6/13/06, Peter Shabino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So are you building a entire new subframe for the Fiero?

Yes, that's the plan anyway.

Looking at your
models and looking at my frame there is a lot of stuff in the way that would
be "bad" to remove (frame members).

Yes, All that will be left of the actual fiero frame what's shown in
that link (the cabin, and the areas that the body mounts to). This is
probably overly ambitious for my experience level, but what the hell.

-Mike

Reposting with the subject line restored... Don't know where it went the
last time.

Sorry for any confusion,

Roger.

Chet Fields wrote:
> --- Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I am reading a lot about PHEVs, but everything I have read says the top speed
>>in all electric mode is 34 MPH.
>
> This is particularly for the Prius' EV Mode, NOT electric only mode. The Prius
> is capable of electric only mode at higher speeds up to about 42mph where it
> needs to start the ICE spinning as, because of the planetary gearing, the
> second motor generator would be spinning over 10,000 RPM. However, it can
> still
> stay in electric only, (NO spark or fuel) even higher (the term warp-stealth
> has been coined to describe it), as long as the current draw does not exceed a
> level determined by the state of charge of the battery. Granted this does not
> take too long as the battery capacity is severely limited (at least in EV
> terms).

One minor correction, at 42 MPH the second motor is only at about 5000
RPM, which used to be near it's old limit, in the classic 00-03 Prius.
The 10,000 RPM limit appears in the Gen2 04+ Prius and would technically
allow for something like 72 MPH ev-only, however just because it can do
10K doesn't mean that Toyota wants to let it run there all day, so the
software still limits it to the same RPM and 42 MPH as the classic.  I'm
not sure if there are any new circumstances in which the new higher RPM
limit is used?  And as was pointed out there is high speed Warp-Stealth
mode which turns over but does not burn fuel in the ICE above 42mph.

Perhaps they merely increased the limit in hopes of it surviving a 60mph
flat tow, which is still not recommended, front must be up to toe!

>>  Is anyone working on a way to increase the max speed in all electric mode?
Toyota might be working on it, probably the only ones who can?

Obviously the Prius does not make for the best PHEV platform, nor does
the Insight, but that's not stopping us from trying, after all we could
actually "BUY" those cars so they can't have them back in a few years.
The EV1, RAV4-EV, EPIC, Think, EV+, E-10, or RangerEV would make for
much better PHEV platforms, just add 10-20kW of range extending genset
and poof, a "Real" Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle!  Ultimately we're
looking for something similar the the tZero & it's gas trailer.

L8r
 Ryan