  1) Re: voltage limit 144 (and Field Weakening...)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: Field Weakening
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) RE: Regen - as a 'brake'
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) No load DC motor behavior
        by "Seth Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) boo to smithsonian
        by "Peri Hartman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: The PROPER - and inexpensive - DC/DC Converter
  7) Re: The PROPER - and inexpensive - DC/DC Converter
  8) Smithsonian anti EV?
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: boo to smithsonian
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Regen - as a 'brake'
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Is the Ranger conversion by a listee?
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: boo to smithsonian
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) re: ACkwhr meter
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Circuit breaker question
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Circuit breaker question
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: boo to smithsonian
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Circuit breaker question
        by "Rick Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Reluctance Motor Drive
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Circuit breaker question
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: one for the Sinclair C5 owners...
 21) Re: The PROPER - and inexpensive - DC/DC Converter
 22) Re: No load DC motor behavior
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Circuit breaker question
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Circuit breaker question
        by "Rick Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: boo to smithsonian
        by "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Reluctance Motor Drive
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: one for the Sinclair C5 owners...
The field weakening thing reminds me of a time when I was helping my brother
tune his Z28 for bracket drag racing.  We did not have any fancy tools, test
equipment, dyno, or such, but, we had lots of back country roads.  We wanted to
tune the carburetor secondaries at wide open throttle under real load
conditions.  To do this, being the smaller of stature, I laid on top of the
engine.  My brother tied down the hood with my feet sticking out the front.
Away we went in full drag mode.  I then proceeded to adjust the carburetor.
Quite and experience with your face about three inches over the throat of a
750CFM at WOT spread bore!  Hot and loud.  We certainly got the attention of
some boys fishing over the edge of a bridge.  I guess it was a sight – Z28 with
open headers ripping past at about 100 mph with a pair of feet sticking out
from under the hood!

The next day, at the races, not only did we break out, we were disqualified
because the ET was so far out we were accused of having engine mods outside our
class.  I guess we were not that good at the dialing thing.  Very disappointed
about the track thing but very pleased with the cars performance.

Anyway, I’m guessing that may be a way to fine tune the field weakening.  Have
someone under the hood so they can observe the brushes while adding weakening
bypass current maybe 10% at a time.  I guess that’s a Burt Munro style, but, if
it works…

Ken

 Date:  6/15/06 2:17:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rush)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 When Dennis was showing us his CurrentEliminator features, one of them was
the field weakening on his motor. You could see part of it, most of it was
under a cowling that protected the motor. It looked pretty simple, just some
bands
across 2 of the motor terminals. His comm was bright and clean so there was
no arcing from the weakening and he has been using it for years.

 And since RIch posted the comment about field weakening, I was wondering how
it is achieved. I've done a little web research and found a picture at
 http://www.railway-technical.com/field.gif

 Is the shunt switch necessary? How does one go about figuring the
resistance? From what I could see on the CE it looked like it was just a wide
band of
metal (copper?) that snaked back and forth a couple times between the motor
terminals.

 There is also a patent http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4378517.pdf, that
incorporates field weakening, amount other things. The patent states - "The
field weakening circuit comprises a transistor in series with a resistor. The
base
of the transistor receives a series of pulses such that the transistor is
alternately switched fully on land fully off. the mean impedance of the filed
weakening circuit defined by the transistor and resistor can be controlled down
to a minimum defined by the resistance of resistor by controlling the
mark/space ration of the pulses applied to the base of the transistor" - it
seams
pretty simple...

 Has anybody done any experimentation with a 9" ADC motor? Taking Dennis's CE
as an example, once the 'formula' is found it seems as if there is basically
no upkeep on it.

 Thanks for the input,

 Rush >>
Hi Rush, Next time you get to see the CE I will unwrap it and explain how
field weaking works on it.The wraps you saw are nicrome and only 1 side hooks
directly to a field terminal.There are multiple taps off that nicrome wrap to a
switching network.Rich seems to think field weaking works at a low rpm as well
as hi rpm,but on the CE I use it at high rpms and never bypass more than half
the resistance of the fields.Also the CE must be on a well preped track or she
could end up sideways when FW is applied.As far as arcing the brushes,I do
not have any arc tracers coming off my brushes in FW just a white line on the
trailing edge.Any more arcing would cause brush damage and comm.pitting that
could compound next time out.     Dennis Berube

Roger Stockton wrote:

> Sorry, it has taken me a while to dredge up the name of a potential
> alternator solution from the depths of my memory.  I knew I'd come
> across something suitable before, but couldn't remember the name to
> search it up.  Check out:
>
> <http://www.fabcopower.com/generat/bgen.htm>

Thanks Roger. I have contacted the company. Let's see what they say.

Michaela

I'm a newbie, but have reasearched a bit and know some Sparrow owners.
I am considering a traditional ev conversion, with clutch, existing (manual)
gearset, etc.
The question I have is about the noted behavior of dc motors while under no
load conditions, i.e. if you are out of gear/clutch is depressed, and you hit
the gas:
DC motors under no load are supposed to take off or go out of control.  Is this,
in practical experience, a problem, or, can it be idiot-proofed somehow so this
never happens (aside from just driving intelligently, of course)?
    Curtis "C" series controllers operate at a reduced 1.5 kHz switching
frequency up
to 10% of throttle demand - preventing jerky starts, etc.  Does this help with
the no load DC motor behavior situation at all?

Thanks,

Seth Myers

(in the style of L. Hart:)
"This life's dim windows of the soul,
distort the world from pole to pole,
and causes one to believe a lie,
when one sees with, and not through, the eye"
- William Blake
(found it from material from www.rzim.org, got to quote it for my vision system
thesis)

- 99 diesel Beetle running on B20 (oops, wrong list!), may try to make my own
with
www.localb100.com as otherwise I have to drive 30 miles just to find a bio (and
only B20) pump

fyi - Peri Hartman

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1155AP_Electric_Car_Booted.html

Friday, June 16, 2006 · Last updated 6:49 a.m. PT
Smithsonian removes electric-car exhibit
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

(photo omitted)
General Motors Corp. will initially lease, but not sell the EV1, the company's electric car, shown in this undated handout file photo, company officials said Tuesday, Aug. 27, 1996. (AP Photo/HO)

WASHINGTON -- Just weeks before the release of a movie about the death of the electric car from the 1990s, the Smithsonian Institution has removed its EV1 electric sedan from display.

The National Museum of American History removed the rare exhibit yesterday, just as interest in electric and hybrid vehicles is on the rise. The upcoming film "Who Killed the Electric Car?" questions why General Motors created the battery-powered vehicles and then crushed the program a few years later. The film opens June 30th.

GM happens to be one of the Smithsonian's biggest contributors. But museum and GM officials say that had nothing to do with the removal of the EV1 from display. A museum spokeswoman says the museum simply needed the space to display another vehicle, a high-tech SUV.

The Smithsonian has no plans to bring the electric car back on view. It will remain in a Suitland storage facility.

Excess Solutions in Milpitas CA has in the past had 35 watt dc/dc converters
in the 48 to 12v range.  I have used one with a 36 to 72v input and 12v out
at 35watts. .  Price 3 to 5 dollars.  Looks like this is what you need.
Just enough to keep the 12v battery topped off.  I've used these two at a
time.  One for the head light and one for the rest of the 12v
systems(running lights/contactor)  no 12v battery used....
http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-bin/category/0
 Lawrence Rhodes......