  1) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Scientific American Grid Article
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Raptor Controller for sale
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Scientific American Grid Article
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Air conditioning gains
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) re: Scientific American Grid Article
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: gang charger
        by "Jody Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) RE: gang charger
        by "Jody Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: New Bikey NEB
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Was: Scientific American Grid Article- Where is NJ?
        by Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Scientific American Grid Article
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Scientific American Grid Article
        by "Martin K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) US Saft Reseller (Lou?)
        by "Jonathan \"Sheer\" Pullen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: US Saft Reseller (Lou?)
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) FasTrack 0-60 mph Data
        by MIKE & PAULA WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: US Saft Reseller (Lou?)
        by "rcboyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Valence Technology Batteries
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Prius PHEV, was Re: Valence Technology Batteries
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Hummmm Look at this. Anyone "seen" one?
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Hummmm Look at this. Anyone "seen" one?
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Surplus color LED display
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Valence Technology Batteries
        by "David Sherritze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: Hummmm Look at this. Anyone "seen" one?
        by "David Ankers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: FasTrack 0-60 mph Data
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Hummmm Look at this. Anyone "seen" one?
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Prius PHEV, was Re: Valence Technology Batteries
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: Scientific American Grid Article
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) RE: Scientific American Grid Article
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Hi Matthew , The 2k zilla that is in Paul's car was in my pick up first . You can see it spinning the wheels in 4th gear at www.grassrootsev.com . I have no clutch in that set up . After putting on bigger tires and still spinning the tires , the tranny started making a funny sound , so I let Paul have it , while we wait for Otmar to refill our plate :-) ----- Original Message -----

I met with Paul of World Class Exotics earlier, and got a ride around in his Porsche 959 EV. It uses a Netgain Warp 11" motor, and I was impressed with the performance, considering he used 3rd and 4th only.

I'm making him a clutchless adapter , it will be much more impressive with out the clutch which now slips quite a bit.

He said that the Netgain engineers were able to calculate how much torque the motor would make based upon voltage, amperage, and efficiency. The dyno graphs are at 72v, and don't really give real world performance.

I haven't seen the graphs for the 11 , where did you see them . If they are at 2000 amp from 0 to 72v then we would know something as max torque will be at a low rpm .
Steve Clunn

So my question is - does anyone know how to extrapolate the torque produced by a DC motor based upon the 72V rating? If so, could you share the equation with the list?

Thanks a lot.

-Matthew Drobnak
Future EV driver :-)

Transmission losses through the power distribution system
mostly come from substations, capacitors, and such.
Superconducting material for our power lines won't do much,
as those lines already are ~99% efficient! All that extra
money for such a small gain?

Delivering electricity from power plant to your home is
about 92% efficient(It does vary a bit). Power lines are the
least of the losses.

Take a power systems analysis course if you seek to
understand how this works in any sort of depth, relatively
speaking. I personally wonder what NJ knows about this
topic.

If we are to have millions of EVs on the road, our grid
could probably handle that. 20-30 million by more rational
estimates, 100 million by some very optimistic estimates,
with no new capacity added. What we need more than to reduce
transmission losses is to install more grid capacity.
Preferably, more wind, solar, biomass, and maybe nuclear.

Thanks for the heads-up.
  For the record, Peter Senkowski, Meyers Motors, does an upgrade on the old
Raptors.  Mine needed it after letting the smoke out.
  The new version has put over 4,000 miles on it.
  If I was converting another, I'd take one in a heartbeat, knowing that Peter
will take good care of me.
  peace,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  Anyone work on these if there is a problem? Last I heard they were out of
production and no more factory support.
David Chapman.
Quoting David Sherritze :

> While looking on ebay I saw a Raptor 600 DC Controller for sale.
>
> I have no ties to this sale but looks good for someone working on a
> project.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Raptor-600-DC-Motor-
> Controller_W0QQitemZ260002934707QQihZ016QQcategoryZ42924QQssPageNameZWD
> VWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FastQ Communications
Providing Innovative Internet Solutions Since 1993

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

--- Begin Message --- Superconducting transmission lines have been studied in great detail before. They make no sense because:

1) AC losses are not zero in superconductors. You need to pump these losses away at cryogenic temperature. Any possible efficiency gains are lost by this fact.

2) Superconducting lines would be underground. Underground lines cost 8 times what overhead lines do.

Bill Dube'

At 07:35 AM 7/3/2006, you wrote:
[...]

Hello Matthew,

The torque of a motor is proportional to the number of conductors on the
armature, to the current per conductor and to the total flux in the motor.

So larger the motor, the more armature windings, the more current and magnetic
flux produces more torque.

If you reduce the current by one-half, then the motor torque is reduce by
one-half.

         torque = 0.1175 x A.C. x T.F. x Ia x (poles/paths) x 10 to the minus 8
power.

A.C. is the total number of armature conductors

T.F. is the total flux per pole

Ia is the current per conductor

For a given size motor, the number of armature conductors, the number of poles,
and the number of armature paths, are constant.

This constant can be provided by the motor manufacturer.

Then you can use this equation derided from the above.

                     torque = a constant x T.F. x Ia

I had Netgain give me the data on a 9 and 11 inch Warp motor for my EV.

This requires the following data:

Total weight of EV
Gear ratios in each gear
Axle ratio
Speed in each gear
Maximum RPM
Maximum Temperature Rating
Maximum Ampere for a specific amount of time.
Maximum Ampere constant.
Maximum motor voltage
Battery Pack voltage
Controller type.

>From this above date, they can determined the torque, rpm and current at a
>certain speed of the EV.

For me, it was 100 amps at 3000 rpm at 180 volts at 30 mph at a torque of 15 ft
lbs for a Warp 9.

The Warp 11 would be about half the current at the same current flow at the
same rpm.

  I've been reading the archives for a while through yahoo...and today
something was brought to my attention, and I figured I'd ask on the list...

  I met with Paul of World Class Exotics earlier, and got a ride around in his
Porsche 959 EV. It uses a Netgain Warp 11" motor, and I was impressed with the
performance, considering he used 3rd and 4th only.

  He said that the Netgain engineers were able to calculate how much torque the
motor would make based upon voltage, amperage, and efficiency. The dyno graphs
are at 72v, and don't really give real world performance.

  So my question is - does anyone know how to extrapolate the torque produced
by a DC motor based upon the 72V rating? If so, could you share the equation
with the list?

  Thanks a lot.

  -Matthew Drobnak
  Future EV driver :-)

I also think the insulation is still usefull.

When driving and using the AC, it reduces the load.

When sitting in the parking lot it reduces the heat transfer into the
vehicle and, if the fan is on a thermal switch, how long before that fan
comes on. Once the fan comes on it still reduces the amount of heat
transfered into the box. Because of all the metal and glass a car gets a
lot hotter than the ambient air. The fan reduces the accumulated build
up and is turned off when the AC is acutally trying to cool the vehicle.

Great, why not just say "integrated ignition source".

I assume these are buried lines only and are split off way before they
reach the house. First they would need to be metered seperately and
second for safety.

How many times a day are power lines hit, crossed, and hit with a back-hoe?

Before someone cry's fowl, off topic, I think fuel cells have promise,
but as a small scale battery charger to extend the range of an EV and
provide heat for cabin and for generating AC.

That is a great idea - I think I might go this route and use that in
addition to a ZIVAN charger for my whole pack charge.  Maybe have the ZIVAN
charge the pack and then have the gang chargers float charge the pack so
each battery is fully charged for the next day.

From: steve clunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, July 3, 2006 9:32 am
Subject: Re: DC Motor torque calculations

> Hi Matthew , The 2k zilla that is in Paul's car was in my pick up
> first .
> You can see it spinning the wheels in 4th gear at
> www.grassrootsev.com . I
> have no clutch in that set up . After putting on bigger tires and
> still
> spinning the tires , the tranny started making a funny sound , so I
> let Paul
> have it , while we wait for Otmar to refill our plate :-)

I would make sure that the PIV rating of the diode is higher than the entire
pack voltage.  That way if there is a short circuit you are not grounding
the entire pack through that one charger.  PIV stands for Peak Inverse
Voltage for the non-electronic types.  I would also make sure that the diode
can take upwards of 50 amps of forward current.  Even though you are only
going to be putting 12 amps tops through it that will give you a generous
safety margin.

From: steve clunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, July 3, 2006 9:32 am

Hi Matthew , The 2k zilla that is in Paul's car was in my pick up
first .
You can see it spinning the wheels in 4th gear at
www.grassrootsev.com . I
have no clutch in that set up . After putting on bigger tires and
still
spinning the tires , the tranny started making a funny sound , so I
let Paul
have it , while we wait for Otmar to refill our plate :-)
> I met with Paul of World Class Exotics earlier, and got a ride
around in
> his Porsche 959 EV. It uses a Netgain Warp 11" motor, and I was
impressed
> with the performance, considering he used 3rd and 4th only.

I'm making him a clutchless adapter , it will be much more
impressive with
out the clutch which now slips  quite a bit.

> He said that the Netgain engineers were able to calculate how
much torque
> the motor would make based upon voltage, amperage, and
efficiency. The
> dyno graphs are at 72v, and don't really give real world
performance.
I haven't seen the graphs for the 11 , where did you see them . If
they are
at 2000 amp from 0 to  72v then we would know something as max
torque will
be at a low rpm .
Steve Clunn

> So my question is - does anyone know how to extrapolate the
torque
> produced by a DC motor based upon the 72V rating? If so, could
you share
> the equation with the list?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> -Matthew Drobnak
> Future EV driver :-)

Sounds outrageously expensively unrealistic.
They can just as easily use some method of creating synthetic "natural"
gas and piping it through the existing system.
--
MK

On Jul 2, 2006, at 10:03 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

So my question is - does anyone know how to extrapolate the torque produced by a DC motor based upon the 72V rating? If so, could you share the equation with the list?

Voltage has a negligible effect on motor torque. Run the line from motor amps to the torque produced. It will be the same torque at the same amps at 36 volts or 144 volts - the rpm will be different so the horsepower will be different.

Paul G.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm trying to find contact information for any reseller of SAFT's larger NiCad or NiMH batteries. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks muchos,

Sheer

Lou Magnarella
Sales Manager, Electric Vehicles/AGV

Saft America Inc.
711 Industrial Blvd.
Valdosta, GA 31601

(Ph)  229-245-3015
(F)   229-247-8486
(CP)  229-251-9827

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Website:  www.saftbatteries.com

--- "Jonathan \"Sheer\" Pullen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm trying to find contact information for any reseller of SAFT's larger
> NiCad or NiMH batteries. Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks muchos,
>
> Sheer

I got my clutch changed on Saturday night.  100% ceramic disc holds really well
now.  So... I had a little time and pulled some data on 0-45 mph and 0-60 mph
runs.  1 each starting in 2nd and shifting to 3rd...and 1 each starting right
from 3rd.  You can see the FasTrack outputs at
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/756.  Just a note on the high motor voltage
anomaly.  Otmar confirms it is most likely an un-calibrated resistor value in
the motor voltage sense circuitry.  Although he never intended for the DAQ
functions to be user accessible I find them very useful.  On my controller the
motor voltage reads 53% higher than actual.  You can see on the graphs when the
Duty Cycle reaches 100%.  My assumption is that when that happens the motor and
battery voltage are the same, as well as motor and battery current.  Anyway,
for what its worth I'll leave these plots up on the EVAlbum for a while. On
future plots I'll post process the motor voltages down to actaul values.

Mike
Anchorage, AK.

I have 72 first generation PEVE prismatic 7.2 nominal voltage NiMHy
batteries.  I am 85 years old and tired of working alone, and am going
to sell out all of my EV equipment.
Contact me at:
Phone 208 772 6159
Cell  208 640 3176