  1) Re: Looking for a quite vacuum pump
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: DC Motor torque calculations, choosing accessory motor
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Fun with Z-regs
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV for a different customer.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Looking for a quite vacuum pump
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Tire info link / weight of wheels question
        by "Steven Potter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Daytona 675 specs?, was 214 mph MC
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: String equalization and lifetime, was: Taurus EV
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Return to manzanita micro dc-dc idea
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: DC Motor torque calculations, auto trans
        by "Richard Furniss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Looking for a quite vacuum pump
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Fun with Z-regs
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Daytona 675 specs?, was 214 mph MC
        by mreish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: String equalization and lifetime, was: Taurus EV
        by Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Return to manzanita micro dc-dc idea
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Whr/mile
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: New 214 MPH Electric Motorcycle
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Electrics Wow the PIR Crowd Friday Night! (pt. 1)
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: DC-DC wishlist
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Commercial BMSs (was RE: Taurus EV)
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Brian, I know we sell one but I always recommend using enhanced manual brakes. I also hate the sound of a vacuum pump. It is one of the first things I gave the Ford rep crap about on their EV Ranger when I saw my first one. His explanation when I asked them why the engineers did not do away with it was actually quite logical. They wanted to use as much OEM parts as possible. Anyway, years ago, I don't remember when exactly, they invented the lever. I was probably a kid then. This device allowed you to put a little pressure in one end and get a lot out the other depending on where you put the fulcrum :-) Smart ass mode off now. In our Ford Taurus race car and in GP we used a Wilwood 7 to 1 brake pedal assembly. http://www.wilwood.com/Products/005-PedalAssemblies/002-FSMP/clutch/index.asp Yes it is a bit of work to install but the resulting silence is golden.

Roderick

Roderick Wilde,  President,  EV Parts Inc.
        Your Online EV Superstore
              www.evparts.com
               1-360-385-7082
Phone: 360-582-1270  Fax: 360-582-1272
       PO Box 834, Carlsborg, WA 98324
108-B Business Park Loop, Sequim, WA 98382

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jody Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Brian, I know we sell one but I always recommend using enhanced manual brakes. I also hate the sound of a vacuum pump. It is one of the first things I gave the Ford rep crap about on their EV Ranger when I saw my first one. His explanation when I asked them why the engineers did not do away with it was actually quite logical. They wanted to use as much OEM parts as possible. Anyway, years ago, I don't remember when exactly, they invented the lever. I was probably a kid then. This device allowed you to put a little pressure in one end and get a lot out the other depending on where you put the fulcrum :-)

Sure - You can reduce the required pedal force, by either changing the pedal/master cylinder geometry ( changing the leverage) , or by just reducing the master cylinder bore diameter. They would have the same effect.

But, the pedal throw will go up by the same factor that the pedal force goes down. There's no free lunch to be had here. If you can live with a pedal that starts up much higher, and has to be pressed down much further, that will work. But, as some point, it would become awkward and maybe even not as safe to use.

Phil

I came across the Tire Bible while doing some research for my EV
project:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

It’s a very interesting read and covers just about everything you’d want
to know about tires. The one exception being it makes no reference
whatsoever to LRR tires…my main concern at the moment.

Today I’ll crawl down under and try to decipher the codes on the inside
of my alloy wheels. My truck came with huge, fat low profile radials. I
need to see if I can re-use the same wheels with LRR tires.

If I end up needing to get new wheels I’d be interested in seeing any
info about the weights of various steel and aluminum wheels. Anyone seen
this info anywhere?

Steven Potter, Toronto
’98 Ranger

Roderick Wilde wrote:

> Does anyone know what the actual drag coefficient is for a
> Triumph Daytona 675 or a good guestimate of the amount of
> HP necessary to maintain 85 mph.

> My question to the list is: does anyone out there know
> enough about bike aerodynamics to tell me if 24 hp is
> enough to maintain 85 mph?

It isn't very scientific, but a friend's Yamaha DT125 (liquid cooled
125cc 2-stroke enduro) would *just* achieve 75-80mph.  This is a
completely unfaired bike, but it is quite narrow, so while the faired
Daytona may be a bit slipperier they might also be about on par based on
CdA.

This was a early '80 model bike; I see online that the present version
seems to be rated 11kW peak power (@ 8000RPM), which is about 15HP.
I've also seen mention that fully unrestricted, etc. this bike can
achieve close to 26HP (however, my friend's bike was bone stock and
probably lucky if it made factory spec output).

I think this is fairly suggestive that 15-20HP ought to be sufficient to
maintain 80-85MPH on level ground.

Hope this helps,

Cor van de Water wrote:
> LIFE CYCLE TESTING OF SERIES BATTERY STRINGS WITH INDIVIDUAL BATTERY
> EQUALIZERS. Hopefully the author did not have a conflict of interests.
> http://www.powerdesigners.com/pdf/PowerCheq%20Paper%20-%20Motive%20Power.pdf

Though a good paper, it is clearly written for marketing purposes and
has a noticeable bias. Basically, it demonstrates that AGMs with no
regulators die early, and that regulators extend life. We already know
that.

Here are a few things I noted:

1. It only tests one regulator, the PowerCheq device. You can't draw
   any conclusions on what would happen with any other type of
   regulation system or devices.

2. His charge algorithm is odd. Note in fig.13 how the voltage jumps
   around, and the current changes in quantum steps. The entire charge
   cycle is only 4.6 hours long -- that's very short for this type of
   battery, so it can be expected that some will not reach full charge.

3. Battery 3 in the string without PowerCheqs was clearly bad; it had
   a reversed cell. In fig.14, it was at 8.xx volts throughout the
   discharge.

> Let's see if anybody has been running equalisers for more than 20,000
> miles and can confirm that his batteries lasted (I am only interested
> in sealed batteries, as the floodeds can be equalised in other ways)

That's good advice.

Flooded lead-acids and nicads have clearly demonstrated that they can
last a lot more than 20k miles without any kind of individual battery
regulation. They do it by not applying the low voltages described in
this paper, thereby avoiding undercharging. They equalize by
overcharging, but have more rugged plates to survive grid corrosion, and
you can easily replace the water lost to gassing.

But AGMs clearly die early if you overcharge them to equalize. I think
*any* method that prevents overcharging has been shown to lengthen their
life.

 - GM's EV1 with Panasonic lead-acid AGMs, and AC Propulsion's EVs
   with Optimas have both gone over 20k miles. I believe they use
   low-current shunt regulators, which bypass 100-200ma.

 - Vehicles with the Badicheq system have gone over 20k. It has a
   single 2amp 12vin/12vout DC/DC that it switches to transfer charge
   from the highest to the lowest battery. As the highest/lowest
   batteries change, it moves this DC/DC to different batteries.

 - My own EV has 18k miles on its nearly 8-year-old Concorde AGM pack.
   Most of these miles were accumulated using my own Battery Balancer,
   but it had nothing for its first 6 months, and my zener/lamp
   regulators for about 1 year.

The idea is sound.

But the tech limits are a little different. The voltage precision is tight
for 120 volts and a bit sloppy for 14.7 volts.  So... it will work and
rather well, but I would install a Reg on the 12 volt rail and battery that
tightens up the regulation of the 12 rail. Since setting to 14.7 will have a
4 volt swing from full on to full off. 4 volts at 120 is tight enough, but
+- 2 volts at 12.5 as a center point is  not good enough.

A Reg Mk2 or Mk3 will work to play tighter local regulation.

Keep in mind that the output amps will be the same... 20 to 40 depending on
charger model.
The "modified for Hybrid work" chargers have 3 seprate voltage setpots. And
two relay drives to support the two new voltages. Setting one for 14.7 volts
and having it go active when the key is on will work.
Then it is up to you to relay switch the source and destination of the
charger. DON'T get it wrong!!

Keep in mind your failure hazzards and this will work rather well.
Also I really strongly recomend that all the voltage threshold lines be kept
inside the charger, and as short as possible. The RF that these chargers
make gets into everything. The less opertunities you give these gremlins the
better. We have found that the Prius itself can make quite a bit of RF, that
gets coupled into what ever you are doing. In fact it is enough to force us
to use relays instead of Opto couplers.
This was even with my Gear disconnected... so It was not my noise source.

The main list needs to know that the modifications are by hand at the
moment... and are not really well documented...scraps and notes in the
PiPrius Project Note book. Two of these controllers exist at the moment. I
could publish the Cut and jump notes, since it's not rocket science, and a
good hardware hacker can figure it out in about 30 seconds. One of my
PiPrius clients needs a two speed Amp control also, so they can computer
control to at least two current settings, one being the main current knob,
the other being the charge limit to thier Addon Battery.

 The Hybrid controller PCB in a Hybrid charger has 3 pair of relay drive
lines leaving the charger through a not so pretty hole in the front blue
block off plate. Adjusting the set points requires taking the blue plate off
to get at the pots. The old volts trim pot has been removed and relocated to
the other side of the RJ connector.

This is about a 30 minute hack.

With some added wires you in effect can charge your 12 volt battery from
Grid if you need to.
I would NOT do this without a real battery installed... don't go Battery
less with this araingment.. Unless you have a about 2 Farads of stiffening
cap for the 12 volts support. Really please use about 25 amhours of Lead
acid...

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro