  4) Re: Trying to understand shunt regs
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Trying to understand shunt regs
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Electric Drag Scooter
  7) Re: Electric Drag Scooter
  8) Full Time EV Job in Seattle
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Zombie's New DC-DC, Chris Paine to Ride in White Zombie
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) EV parts
        by "rcboyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: New EVs at London motor show
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Trying to understand shunt regs
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Trying to understand shunt regs
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Zombie's New DC-DC, Chris Paine to Ride in White Zombie
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: E-Meter serial isolator
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Trying to understand shunt regs
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: EV parts
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Magne Charge (Large Paddle System [LPI]) questions ???  EDVL list
        by "Steve Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Trying to understand shunt regs
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Trying to understand shunt regs
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Trying to understand shunt regs
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Electric Drag Scooter
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: EV for a different customer.
        by "Jonathan Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Magne Charge (Large Paddle System [LPI]) questions ???  EDVL
 list
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: E-Meter serial isolator
        by Cory Cross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Electric Drag Scooter
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Question on my whining controller.
        by "Curtis Hollingshead" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: isuzu or mitsubishi truck conversion
        by "Tom Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: An Automotive Zoo, Horns for EV's
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I like your ideas. I'm having to make my adaptor bigger than it has
to be to accomodate the stock clutch/flywheel, a smaller SBC would
have been nice (maybe next conversion).

Food for thought:

It seems that there might be a shift away from aluminum towards steel
for adaptors. Steve Clunn <http://www.grassrootsev.com>, Reverend
Gadget <http://www.leftcoastconversions.com>, and Wilderness EV
<http://www.e-volks.com> are companies doing steel adaptors. Hobbyist
convertors like <http://www.poormansev.com> and myself are doing
steel, too.

I originally thought I'd just do aluminum. Four things swung me away
towards steel:

    * Steel is much cheaper than Al
    * Steel is easier to weld than Al
    * I think that a welded, then machined, steel adaptor can be held
to tighter tolerances than bolting 3 Al pieces together
    * I need to have a 1/4 inch steel scatter shield, so the adaptor
does double duty

--- Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   What if we took this approach? (I have talked this talk before)
>
> Standards.
>
>  7",8",9" taper lock to small block chevy crank. I got quotes for a
> machine shop to make small quantities. The quote needs larger and
> repeat quantities to make it feasable. This is one adapter and 3
> possible taperlock sheeves we could use on all conversions if we
> also use the next standard.
>
>  Button flywheel for SBC and dual plate 7" racing clutch. These are
> standard wheather you use tilton,clutchmaster, and others.
>  The disks are the same, just order with correct spline.
>
>  Aluminum motor bell. These give a 12" dia mouting register and set
> back the motor just enough to use one of the standard plate
> thicknesses for the tranny to bell adapter. I don't yet know how
> many models differing in only the depth we need. Once this info is
> had we make castings that get cleaned up in the cnc to furthor
> reduce costs.
>
>  The standard thickness plate is water jet to profile, dropped in a
> cnc and the 12" register is cleaned up and the entire bolt and
> dowel pattern is walked off.

Steve & others:

Well, I asked what stupid thing I'd done, and a burned out bulb is pretty stupid. I thought of that as I wrote up the Q, but it will have to wait untill I get home to find out...

The bulb is a PR-2 all right, but I didn't check bulb continuity. Glad I bought 10 bulbs from Mouser. Boy they do deliver fast...

Mark

A couple of things: First, if you hook it up backwards like I always do, the first time I try one, you burn out the 2.3 volt bulb as soon as you connect it up - 10 volts is way too much for the 2.3 volt PR-2 bulb. It's a quick flash - you can miss it easily. Then you get nothing because that part of the circuit
is open.   (I don't know why I always figure it out backwards, I think the
"electronic" portion of my brain is dyslexic or soemthing.)  Next:  Are you
using a PR-2 bulb?  That's a 2.3 volt bulb, so it lights up right away.  If
you're suing  a 12 volt bulb it may not be getting enough volts to make a
visible glow.

> Has anyone with an electric scooter bothered to get 1/4 mile time slip?
> Apparently Dragtimes.com lists scooters too :-)
> http://www.dragtimes.com/Other-Scooter-Timeslip-5110.html

At 15 MPH, it'd take a while. It looks like that scooter was losing speed
through the traps. (In that MPH, he wouldn't have covered 1/4 mile in that
time, if my chicken scratches are correct.)

Mark Fisher wrote:

> I'm trying to understand Lee Hart's shunt reg's.
>
> I wired what I thought was the circuit, and hooked it to the output of a 24V, 600MW brick power supply. This supply was fed from a variac to
       ^^^^^

A 0.6 gigawatt brick. Hmm, must be big one....

Mark Fisher wrote:
Steve & others:

Well, I asked what stupid thing I'd done, and a burned out bulb is pretty stupid. I thought of that as I wrote up the Q, but it will have to wait untill I get home to find out...

*laugh* Actually I did this too. It's handy to have a resistor in series with the bulb in the 10 ohm category; it starts to smoke a bit and lets you know it's backwards.

If you use a little resistor, it will blow. And Mouser didn't have 100 bulbs in stock when I built my sets; guess they are getting the point that PR2 bulbs are cool.

Deafscooter would fit right in.  He has driven some very fast scooters.
Lawrence Rhodes........
From: "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: New EVs at London motor show
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:53:12 +0100

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cars/story/0,,1815719,00.html

[..]
They're small, eccentric and as quiet as Paris in August. But Britain,
obsessed as it is with speed cameras and petrol prices, has
unexpectedly become the world capital of electric cars.

Next week two models will be launched at the London motor show,
bringing to at least six the number of carmakers competing for a slice
of the emerging "zero emission" market.
[..]

Regards
Evan

Just make sure the bulb is not in backwards too.

Mike
;)

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Mark Fisher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Steve & others:
>
> Well, I asked what stupid thing I'd done, and a burned out bulb is
pretty
> stupid. I thought of that as I wrote up the Q, but it will have to wait
> untill I get home to find out...
>
> The bulb is a PR-2 all right, but I didn't check bulb continuity.
Glad I
> bought 10 bulbs from Mouser. Boy they do deliver fast...
>
> Mark
>
> A couple of things:  First, if you hook it up backwards like I
always do,
> the
> first time I try one, you burn out the 2.3 volt bulb as soon as you
connect
> it
> up - 10 volts is way too much for the 2.3 volt PR-2 bulb.  It's a quick
> flash -
> you can miss it easily.  Then you get nothing because that part of the
> circuit
> is open.   (I don't know why I always figure it out backwards, I
think the
> "electronic" portion of my brain is dyslexic or soemthing.)  Next:
Are you
> using a PR-2 bulb?  That's a 2.3 volt bulb, so it lights up right
away.  If
> you're suing  a 12 volt bulb it may not be getting enough volts to
make a
> visible glow.

Two of those and a 100MW brick and you have a supply for a delorian :) (sorry BttF on the brain today)

Later,
Wire

From: Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Trying to understand shunt regs
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:00:51 -0700

Mark Fisher wrote:

> I'm trying to understand Lee Hart's shunt reg's.
>
> I wired what I thought was the circuit, and hooked it to the output of a 24V, 600MW brick power supply. This supply was fed from a variac to
       ^^^^^

A 0.6 gigawatt brick. Hmm, must be big one....

HEY Wayland

  Ya know I've been meaning to talk with you about that.  Last year you told me
about all the "exposure" the Siamese8 would get running inside White Zombie.
Well when are you gonna start getting on that, huh?? LMAO!!!

  Anyway how fun is that!  Although for you, I'm sure it's just another day in
Waylands World 8^ P

  Cya

  Hello to All,

Chris Brune wrote:

>I hope someone who can make it on Friday can get some pictures of the
>mounting location. John always does a clean and professional job of
>mounting the electronics in his cars.
>
>If someone does get a picture please post somewhere. I didn't actually get
>a chance to take any pictures of the outside of the unit. I took several of
>the inside so I would remember what I did. ;-)

Thank You. Found the layout in the archives. That leads me to the next
question: What is a good source to buy electronic components? Especially
something like a MOCD207-MQT; all I found in Google were wholesales ..

Michaela

Mark Fisher wrote:
> I'm trying to understand Lee Hart's shunt reg's.
> I wired what I thought was the circuit...
> http://www.x-plane.org/home/mf70/_data/Shunt-test.JPG
> Shouldn't the bulb be lit when at 17V potential? At this point,
> wouldn't the bulb be seeing (17-13.6) 3.4 volts?

Yes, that's correct. Your wiring looks right (assuming positive goes to
the banded end of the zeners). There are only 3 parts; hard to wire it
wrong. The only possibilities are thus a) the bulb is burned out, b) the
zeners are the wrong ones, or c) the voltmeter is wrong.

Hello Bob,
I am interested in any or all of your parts depending on the prices,
especially the batteries. Could you please tell me the age of your batteries
both the Prius and the Hawkers and your prices on the pieces? Thanks David
Chapman.

Quoting rcboyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I am sorry that I prematurely answered some bodies query about batteries
> for sale.  I am in the process of making a list of all of the EV
> paraphernalia that I have for sale.  When I finish the list I will be
> prepared to E mail, FAX, or snail mail copies to interested parties who
> want to make offers.  Five years ago when I thought I was dying of colon
> cancer I sold a couple of very expensive items at give away prices.  I
> will not do that again as I have a good friend who is willing to take
> over the sale for me on a commission basis.  Only reasonable offers will
> be considered.
>

> I will answer the questions a few of you have asked as best I can.  The
> easy one first is my location.  I live in Hayden Idaho which is a suburb
> if Coeur d'  Alene Idaho, which is about 30 miles east of Spokane
> Washington.
>

>  The next one is a little more difficult.  The Panasonnic PEVE
> batteries.  They came out of an early model Toyota Prius.  I bought two
> packs of 36, a total of 72 batteries for $1500.   When I took the packs
> apart, I measured the voltages of all of the batteries and each and
> every one of them was exactly 7.63 volts.  Neither one of the packs had
> been charged or connected in any way for a different and undetermined
> period of time.  They had been stored in an unheated shed for over a
> year according to the employ that had overseen the removal from the
> wrecked Priuses.  These are prismatic batteries with a nominal voltage
> of 7.2 volts, 6.5 Ah capacity, and weigh 2.53 pounds.  They are 10.82"
> long, .787" wide, and 4.13" high.  There are 6 cells in each plastic
> case.  According to a test performed Gold Peak Battery company they are
> capable of putting out 251 amps for a period of 1 minute.  I charge them
> with a 250 volt variac equipped with 2 rectifiers in parallel, a volt
> meter and an ampmeter.  I charge them to about 8.5 volts and then put
> the in series packs in parallel with each other and let them slowly
> discharge down to about 7.8 volts wher they stay pretty well.  I have
> been told they can be charged up to 9.5 + volts but I haven't tried it
> yet.  You have to charge to no higher than 45 deees centigrade and no
> faster than a raise in temperature of 2 degrees C in three minutes.
> Well that is almost more than I know about them.
>

> I have one home made motorcycle running that I have been experimenting
> with and had the intention of enclosing it front wheel and all with the
> rider still on the outside.  Also:
>

>  Four  Prestolite motors, 2 with single shaft and 2 with shafts at both
> ends.
>

> Four   Albright contactors for switching three motors from series to
> paralell.
>

> Two  Etek permanent magnate motors
>

>  Anderson connectors for 2/0 wire
>

> Twenty 13 amp hour hawker batteries in good shape only used for three or
> four runs.
>

>  Bob

FastQ Communications
Providing Innovative Internet Solutions Since 1993

Hello all,

I am having problems with my LPI system and am seeking advice.  My system is
a 6.6kw LPI system, stand alone, not connected to the controller, out of a
'96 S-10 Solectria.  Does anyone know this system?

I have both the EV200 and EV14043 windows 3.1 diagnostic software for the
charger, and upon hooking the PC up to the LPI system I cannot achieve
communications between the two.  The software's communications box reads  "
Waiting . ".

Has anyone else used this software who can advise on successful connection
to a PC?  . and/or LPI fault diagnosis?

The initial problem is that when I insert the paddle into the LPI port the
cooling fans on the converter & LPI port both run for +/- 10 seconds, then
turn off.  Nothing else happens.  No voltage or amperes to start a charge,
it just turns off.  Sometimes paddle insertion starts the fans, sometimes it
does not.

Input welcome . hopefully someone else out there has worked through LPI bugs
.

Thx,

Steve

I noticed the "Low Battery" symbol on your meter; I
would interpret the meter's display as "Generally
correct, but not always" when it is on.

--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark Fisher wrote:
> > I'm trying to understand Lee Hart's shunt reg's.
> > I wired what I thought was the circuit...

http://www.x-plane.org/home/mf70/_data/Shunt-test.JPG
> > Shouldn't the bulb be lit when at 17V potential?
> At this point,
> > wouldn't the bulb be seeing (17-13.6) 3.4 volts?
>
> Yes, that's correct. Your wiring looks right
> (assuming positive goes to
> the banded end of the zeners). There are only 3
> parts; hard to wire it
> wrong. The only possibilities are thus a) the bulb
> is burned out, b) the
> zeners are the wrong ones, or c) the voltmeter is
> wrong.
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Chris,

The 10 Ohm goes in *parallel* to the bulb.
(each wire of the resistor attached to each wire of the bulb).

This will also reduce the main drawback of the bulb regulator:
IF the bulb burns out, it is no longer a balancer without this
resistor. Since one battery will then suddenly bave no bypass,
it will quickly drift away from the rest and this battery will
be severely over-charged.

With the parallel resistor the zener-reg will still work somewhat
even with the bulb broken, though it will allow the battery to
go to a higher voltage and keep it there, there is limited
balancing still present.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

> Well, I asked what stupid thing I'd done, and a burned out bulb is
> pretty stupid. I thought of that as I wrote up the Q, but it will have
> to wait untill I get home to find out...

*laugh* Actually I did this too. It's handy to have a resistor in series
with the bulb in the 10 ohm category; it starts to smoke a bit and lets
you know it's backwards.

If you use a little resistor, it will blow. And Mouser didn't have 100
bulbs in stock when I built my sets; guess they are getting the point
that PR2 bulbs are cool.

Hey! a DC bulb!
We could start a new thread discussing AC vs DC bulbs,
(ahem, errr, NO - I'll shut up now).

PS - I know about LED "bulbs". They *are* DC.
I have a few lying around, but never installed any yet.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

Just make sure the bulb is not in backwards too.

Mike
;)

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Mark Fisher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Steve & others:
>
> Well, I asked what stupid thing I'd done, and a burned out bulb is
pretty
> stupid. I thought of that as I wrote up the Q, but it will have to wait
> untill I get home to find out...
>
> The bulb is a PR-2 all right, but I didn't check bulb continuity.
Glad I
> bought 10 bulbs from Mouser. Boy they do deliver fast...
>
> Mark
>
> A couple of things:  First, if you hook it up backwards like I
always do,
> the
> first time I try one, you burn out the 2.3 volt bulb as soon as you
connect
> it
> up - 10 volts is way too much for the 2.3 volt PR-2 bulb.  It's a quick
> flash -
> you can miss it easily.  Then you get nothing because that part of the
> circuit
> is open.   (I don't know why I always figure it out backwards, I
think the
> "electronic" portion of my brain is dyslexic or soemthing.)  Next:
Are you
> using a PR-2 bulb?  That's a 2.3 volt bulb, so it lights up right
away.  If
> you're suing  a 12 volt bulb it may not be getting enough volts to
make a
> visible glow.

Apparently this tuned-up 1-banger was over his top, as the
trap speed (26.5) multiplied by the ET (32.4) comes down
to only 0.24 mile - so he must have gone faster earlier in
the race.
Maybe his race gas was running empty?
Or his engine overheated?

Anyway - an electric scooter should be able to shred these numbers.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

> Has anyone with an electric scooter bothered to get 1/4 mile time slip?
> Apparently Dragtimes.com lists scooters too :-)
> http://www.dragtimes.com/Other-Scooter-Timeslip-5110.html

At 15 MPH, it'd take a while. It looks like that scooter was losing speed
through the traps. (In that MPH, he wouldn't have covered 1/4 mile in that
time, if my chicken scratches are correct.)

Conti calls it ISAD (Integrated Starter Alternator
Damper<http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/cas/cas/themes/press_services/press_archive/press_archive_2002/pr_2002_03_17_7_en.html>),
Lee.

Steve Hawkins wrote:

I am having problems with my LPI system and am seeking advice.  My system is
a 6.6kw LPI system, stand alone, not connected to the controller, out of a
'96 S-10 Solectria.  Does anyone know this system?

Sort of. I have a 94 Prizm with the CC200 based Magnecharger.

I have both the EV200 and EV14043 windows 3.1 diagnostic software for the
charger, and upon hooking the PC up to the LPI system I cannot achieve
communications between the two.  The software's communications box reads  "
Waiting . ".

Thoughts:
1) Don't plug into the base station. There's nothing interesting there.

2) There should be a plug in your car for connections to the EV200 or EV14043 unit. In the Prizm this is a DB9 however it is *NOT* RS232. It's ttl signal levels which need to be converted to 232 with a simple MAX232 chip. Why they couldn't just put one in....

Has anyone else used this software who can advise on successful connection
to a PC?  . and/or LPI fault diagnosis?
Sure. I talk to my MC from time to time.

The initial problem is that when I insert the paddle into the LPI port the
cooling fans on the converter & LPI port both run for +/- 10 seconds, then
turn off.  Nothing else happens.  No voltage or amperes to start a charge,
it just turns off.  Sometimes paddle insertion starts the fans, sometimes it
does not.
Have you tried another Magnecharger base unit? Maybe the unit went insane. What does the display on the base unit say?

Hello,

www.findchips.com is a metasearch for consumer electronics suppliers.
Digi-Key has the part you are looking for.

Cory Cross

Michaela Merz wrote:

[...]

Yeah, the post about going almost 50MPH on an e-scooter... that's scary to
think of. <g> Didn't I read somewhere that someone went through the 1/4 on
an e-couch? *That's* my sort of ride... even better than the motorized beer
coolers. Mount some pedals, and they'd qualify as a bike here.

I'm figuring the gas scoot driver may have been pulling one of the high
speed stunts... squatting down to get more speed. You can get in quite an
unstable position, real quick, in that position. I'm certain I wouldn't want
to be going 30MPH on the tires they put on those things. (I've seen one
blow. Even at 15+ MPH, it wasn't a pretty sight. The kid was lucky because
he was w/o shoes, in cutoffs and t-shirt... and not even a bike helmet,
naturally.) <g>

> Apparently this tuned-up 1-banger was over his top, as the
> trap speed (26.5) multiplied by the ET (32.4) comes down
> to only 0.24 mile - so he must have gone faster earlier in
> the race.
> Maybe his race gas was running empty?
> Or his engine overheated?
>
> Anyway - an electric scooter should be able to shred these numbers.
>
> Cor van de Water

Hello all.

New guy here.  I've completed my first e.v. conversion, a 1993 Toyota p/u.

Some basics-

System voltage - 144 volts
Controller - Curtis
DC/DC converter - Zivan
Charger - Zivan NG-3
Batteries - 24 Trojan T-145's

Problem- my controller starts to whine excessively towards the end of my
morning and evening commute, and I'm getting less range than expected.

I have a total of three cooling fans blowing on the controller (one on
bottom of a heatsink plate, and two on the control board blowing on each
side.

Typical temp for the controller is ~127 to 130F at the end of my commute.

I understand the Curtis controller whines a bit at the beginning which is
normal, but I'm getting a pretty consistent whine and a lot of thermal
cutout which concerns me.

Tried several things to ensure there's no mechanical drag on the vehicle
pulling too many amps, and still pull ~200A at 40mph in third gear.  This
seems excessive, and I don't have much power given the voltage I'm running.

Looking for input/thoughts/suggestions.

Appreciate any help you could give.

Curtis Hollingshead.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have just converted an Isuzu pup 1989. When I ordered the motor I sent my clutch disc in and the vendor made an adaptor for the motor to clutch disc. Then he sent me a plate to make the adaptor to the bell housing. It was not hard following his instructions. I should mention that this was for a clutchless design. I have been driving it daily since 03/03/06 and have no troubles shifting it without a clutch and really I don't have to shift it that often.

When I am in town I drive in 2nd gear to about 50mph.

If I want to go over 50mph then I just let off the accel. and slide it out of second and into third and step back on the accel. No problem.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>