  1) Re: Sporty, practical=lightweight, long range EV
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Advancing CW was Rattling noise, lurching motion
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Calling All EV'rs in the Fresno Area
        by "Marc Michon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: simotion charger?
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EV Grin!!!!!!!!
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: The Wrightspeed X1, a different class of car. (WAS Want to build a
sporty EV
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EVs hit Fark
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: dc motor
        by "torich1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) OT: Bitsushiti, was: Re: Burned Sparrow motor
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: simotion charger?
        by "Lawrie, Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: simotion charger?
        by "Lawrie, Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Electric Vehicles in the news
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) More on SepEx
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) High Tech EV conversion on BMW Mini displayed at London Motorshow
        by Geoff Linkleter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Who Killed the Electric Car
        by "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: High Tech EV conversion on BMW Mini displayed at London Motorshow
        by "Lawrie, Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: High Tech EV conversion on BMW Mini displayed at London Motorshow
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: In progress EV question
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Evan's regen
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) RE: dc motor
        by Staffanson Brian J Civ 309 EMXG/QPE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Air cond, regen, better EV, was Re: SepEx Feasibility-
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: The Wrightspeed X1, a different class of car. (WAS Want to build a
sporty EV)
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) X1 doing 11.9 1/4 mile video (was The Wrightspeed X1, a different class of
car.)
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: In progress EV question
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: X1 doing 11.9 1/4 mile video (was The Wrightspeed X1, a different
class of car.)
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: X1 doing 11.9 1/4 mile video (was The Wrightspeed X1, a different
class of c
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: Air cond, regen, better EV, was Re: SepEx Feasibility-
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: X1 doing 11.9 1/4 mile video (was The Wrightspeed X1, a different
class of car.)
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Prius 42MPH Limit Was: Air cond, regen, better EV
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---

On Aug 1, 2006, at 2:03 PM, Wayne wrote:

On 8/1/06, Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
How much range do you think you need?  Followed by the next question,
how much range do you REALLY, ACTUALLY need?

This would be a second vehicle for me, and mostly a fun project. As I stated I'd like to modify a Suzuki Samurai into an hybrid as I know fully electric will not work for me as I need several hundred miles of range. It would need to drive from my house loaded with camping gear, out to the local mountains and desert via busy freeways. Once there it will be exploring on the dirt
roads and trails.

OK. So the "benefit" is playing offroad in an EV. Your proposed "feature" is an offroad EV that can drive all the way from your house to the mountains. You have correctly decided that this is not practical, so you've started thinking about making a hybrid.

You can get the same benefit in other ways. Here is a quick list of possibilities, to give you some idea of the way I'm thinking.

- Build a pure EV offroad vehicle, like Rod Wilde's Lectro Rover. <http://www.evparts.com/about/index.php?show=rover.ihtml>

Then, in order to play with it offroad, do one of the following:

- Trailer it to the playground, charge it with a genset. Or solar, or wind, or hydro, or a combination.
- Leave it at a nearby farm, drive out when you want to play with it.
- Build a pusher trailer for it. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pusher_trailer> Unhitch it when you get to the playground. Drive electric.

This sounds like a fun project, and will introduce a lot of new challenges
to the build.

There's a good reason to do it right there!

It would be great if I could have a cleaner vehicle that also
returned better fuel economy and better power while offroad. I think the
electric hybrid will do well in this area.

As others have written, not necessarily.

Speaking only for myself, and no offense meant, but I get a little riled up when someone complains that EVs aren't practical because they can't do something unreasonable that the speaker wants them to do. No, a battery-powered offroad vehicle that can drive from your house to Moab and back isn't yet practical, but that doesn't mean that other possible EVs aren't practical.

My favorite analogy is the microwave oven vs. the conventional oven. "Tell me sir, do you have a microwave oven? Really? Why on earth would you want one of those? It can't bake bread, it can't brown meat, it can't even cook a Thanksgiving turkey!" Because for 90% of the cooking tasks of 90% of the populace, the microwave oven is a better and more efficient solution.

Thanks all,

-Wayne

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jim Husted wrote:

>   Couple of things, first the motor brushes and comm look
> fine.

Jim, I'm not sure if I browsed far enough through Judebert's webpage,
but the comm/brush pics I saw were, I think, taken *before* the motor
was installed in his EV and began exhibiting the rattling/lurching
behaviour under power.

I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to pop the cover and have another
peek at the brushes and comm now, just to confirm that they are not
showing signs of arcing or other damage now that they've had a bit of
use running backwards?

try [EMAIL PROTECTED]
thats a zero
or call 243 1912
have them people call me
cool
Marco
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Shanab" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 06:14:16 -0500
From: "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "EV Discussion Group--
Subject: RE: High Tech EV conversion on BMW Mini displayed at London Motorshow
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:51:30 +0100
From: "Lawrie, Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

It was featured on the list a few weeks ago, but no-one seems to have
seen it at the motor show, and as far as I can see its just a proof of
concept..   Be nice to see it driven.

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:39:30 +0300
From: "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

There was an autoblog post regarding this with actual pictures

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/21/pml-s-mini-qed-boasts-640-in-wheel-electric-horsepower/

-kert

From: "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: In progress EV question
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:35:51 -0600

Hello John,

You did not mention what type of motor you have.  Some motors have expose
field bolts on the surface of the motor like the Warp motors and the GE
motors have flush field bolts.

My GE 11 motor has bolt holes tap right into the side of the motor, that
fits a standard GM engine mounts, which mounts to the same cross member that
a engine bolts too.

I use a Warp 9 motor while I put the GE 11 in maintenance.  The 9-7/8 inch
diameter Warp 9 (measure to the OD at the field bolts) require me to custom
make a clam shell bracket that can mount over these field bolts and slide
back and forth for adjustment.

The standard clam shell units can only be fix in one place, with narrow
bands that fit between the field bolts.  This position of the clam shell
would not a line up with the existing engine mounts and was too narrow
anyway.

So, I went to a steel yard and have them cut 5 inch off a 10 gage 10 inch OD
pipe tubing.  The inside diameter is 9-3/4 inch in diameter.  I know from
experience, that when you cut this tubing in half to make a clam shell, that
it will spring wider than the measure inside diameter.

I than cut two 1-1/4 segments out of the tubing at 180 degrees from each
other and weld on 1-inch tabs that were also 5 inches long with two bolt
holes for clamping around the motor.

Placing the clam shell on the motor, which sets on top of the field bolts,
you will find that this mounting band is about 1/4 inch away from the main
body of the motor, so I welded in 1/4 x 1/4 inch square rod which I roll to
fit inside the clam shell.  I welded one rod on both edges and one down the
center missing the field bolts.

This makes the clam shell look 3/8-inch thick heavy duty industrial looking.
I then can weld on a thick steel spacer with tap bolt holes, that fits my
existing engine mounts.

I found out later, that I could have went with a Warp 11, and have NetGain
tap the side of the motor to fit the engine mounts.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:49:32 -0400

Evan,

I see you have "not properly tested" regen on your car

Could you explain how it should work please?  I'm interested to know the
parts you use and how effective regen charge is.
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/103.html

Thanks, Ben
From: Staffanson Brian J Civ 309 EMXG/QPE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'ev@listproc.sjsu.edu'" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:23:28 -0600

When my bug 1974 was working last year, I was using the Prestolite MTC 4001.
It worked well for me, taking me up to 65 mph, up a hill.  I think it was
better than the original gas engine.  But due to battery placement problems,
I am not on the road anymore.  It was a sad thing.  I keep telling myself
that it will work again one day...

Brian

On Jul 31, 2006, at 6:23 PM, torich1 wrote:

> What is the best dc motor for a 1970 VW bug 72
>
> to 120 volts?
>
> Thanks Rich in Virginia

Best motor?  Not a real simple question but I would suggest the
Advanced DC 8 inch series motor available from most of the EV

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:09:08 -0600
From: "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: Air cond, regen, better EV, was Re: SepEx Feasibility-

Doug Hartley wrote:

>...running the house for the last 3 hours.  It is handy having EV-size
>battery power

Funny you should mention power outages, Doug.  We had one storm-induced one
here on Salt Lake City last night, too.  Since the battery and cigar lighter
for my conversion were sitting on the workbench, I grabbed them and hooked
them together via a fuse, plugged in a 150W inverter that I use for working
on the computer in the car, and voila!, I had enough power for the two
nightstand lamps to let us read in bed.

Bill Dennis
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:22:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Wrightspeed X1, a different class of car. (WAS Want to build a
sporty EV)
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> To be fair, that's not Wrightspeed's fault.  A big advantage of the
> ACP drive is "perfect launches" - the tires are at their traction
> limit and stay there until the power output from the controller can
> no
> longer deliver max torque.  So when you race any gas vehicle against
> any ACP-powered vehicle, the ACP machine always gets a big start.  So
> the guy with the Porsche insisted on a rolling start, to remove this
> "unfair" advantage.

Ian Wright told me face to face that the Porche Carerra GT owner did
not want to put the extra wear caused by a standing start on his clutch
as it was very pricey to replace (MSRP forthcoming). The car itself is
$440,000 without T and L. I can't imagine the clutch being available at
Pep Boys.

It's amazing that the 11.4 sec rated Porche got spanked even with the
advantage of a rolling start. But then again, Porche is known for lying
thru their teeth ;)

> > For years now, we've cordially invited the AC Propulsion guys to
> enter
> > one of their machines in a NEDRA EVent...they've never been to one.
> > We've asked for official NHRA timed results....never seen any. I
> have no
> > doubts that if they would, we'd see impressive ETs, but I bet
> they'd
> > fall short of the various claims over the years.

I wonder how many EV drag racers would show up for an efficiency
challenge? LOL!

ACP goes to efficiency challenges as that is what they are designed
for. If there is a nedra event in SoCal maybe we can get ACP to go.

> Well, come next year, there is no doubt in my mind that you'll see a
> Tesla at the track.  If not several.

We can all hope.

> > I wonder what the folks at Wrightspeed behind this promotion
> > (and the same press corp they've courted) would think when the
> $150,000
> > high end skeleton machine fitted with high tech AC power trains,
> high
> > tech batteries, and it's high tech racing chassis, got beat by a
> full
> > bodied old '72 Datsun sedan powered by common lead acid batteries
> > feeding a DC motor, and built in some forklift mechanic's back yard
> shop
> > at 1/10th the cost?

I think if the White Zombie was built for $15k total then I'll take one
too.

One other distinct disadvantage the ACP cars have is that they stop
accelerating well before the end of the 1/4 mile when they reach their
electronic rpm limit.

Mike

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:12:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X1 doing 11.9 1/4 mile video (was The Wrightspeed X1, a different
class of car.)
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Here is video of the X1 doing an 11.948 ET at 105 mph. If you believe
the trap monitor ;) Isn't that faster than 12.something? Must only have
a range of 100 miles left after a run like that....

You may have to pause the video at the end to read the times as YouTube
truncated the video a bit. The ET is clearly visable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvjH4QUtZFo

Mike
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:11:09 -0600
From: "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

If you're not attaching the motor to the tranny, but directly to the CV
joint (via a reducing gear), can the motor be rigidly mounted to the car
chassis instead of to the motor mounts, or is it still a good idea to let
the motor have some play in it by retaining the original motor mounts?

Thanks.

From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
class of car.)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:47:53 -0700

I'm with John on this one..
Little tube framed Ev Hot rod...
Of course it's fast.

Stuff a 8 incher in there and a Zilla 2k.. I bet you can save about $30K and
still go faster.

Folks it not the drive set up that makes or breaks a EV it's the Cost per
Kw, and weather you can produce it.
OR Even intend to.

AC Does not make a Ev supreme. DC is not invinciable.
Untill somebody picks off Dennis Berube With a AC drive... AC is s toy for
the rich boys.

Somebody in that Video needs some real Rubber.. that was tire screach pretty
much the whole way down the track?
right..?

Madman

Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 15:48:05 -0000
From: "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mike Phillips <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
class of c

By the way the track was wet according to Ian's note.

Mike

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:05:38 -0600
From: "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Doug Hartley wrote:

> start with a Toyota Prius and convert it to plug-in hybrid.

With the kits, the Prius can be kept on all-electric up to 42mph.  Is there
anything special about the 42mph mark?  Could you hook in a different speed
sensor to fool the Prius into thinking it was going 30mph even though it was
really going 60mph, for example?  Or is there something more intrinsic to
the system that would get hurt if you ran in electric-only mode beyond
42mph?

Thanks.

Bill Dennis
From: "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
class of car.)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:18:55 -0700

Thanks Mike for sharing the video. It is great to see another high
performance EV out there busting the myths of slow EVs. I do however believe
the claim was quicker than any DC powered car. That is almost a whole second
slower than the quickest street bodied car. A second is an incredible amount
of time in drag racing. Ask any drag racer.

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:17:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Prius 42MPH Limit Was: Air cond, regen, better EV
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

The Prius can run up to 42 mph with only the electric motors spinning and the
ICE stopped. It then has to start the ICE spinning as the second electric motor
is at it's 10,000 RPM limit. (Because of the way the planetary gears are
connected to the ICE and 2 electric motors)

This spinning can be done and is affectionately called 'warp stealth' by many
Prius enthusiasts. I experience it quite often in my Prius. There is no spark
or fuel, just pumping of the pistons, which basically acts like a spring but
with the obvious friction of the spinning engine.

Chet