  1) RE: Drill the motor
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Are Anderson connectors always appropriate
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Another Anderson Question
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Another Anderson Question
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: You know you're a list member when...
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Are Anderson connectors always appropriate
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Drill the motor
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) NiFe Batteries
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Insane ideas! =)
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: NiFe Batteries
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: You know you're a list member when...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) RE: 93 Toyota p/u Acceleration
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: NiFe Batteries
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: questions from a newbie
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Stats on Sagging (was RE: 93 Toyota p/u Acceleration)
        by "Steve Lacy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Stats on Sagging (was RE: 93 Toyota p/u Acceleration)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: EV music
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: X1 doing 11.9 1/4 mile video (was The Wrightspeed X1, a different
class of c
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: NiFe Batteries
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Science Channel Shows NEDRA Power of DC Race
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Are Lithium-Ion Electric Cars Safe?
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Eliica race video at youtube
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Science Channel Shows NEDRA Power of DC Race
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Corvette with 1.3L Hybrid
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Christopher Zach wrote:

> Well, I now know that the motor encoder is the source of the truck
> problems. Unfortunately the genius who built this car took apart a
> standard HP encoder and drilled the alignment holes such that
> you have to take the whole thing apart and install it bare instead
> of using the case's mounting ears.
>
> Totally stupid. And totally unlike every other Hughes Dolphin
> install I have seen.
>
> So I have two choices: Either I can drill holes in the new
> encoder, or I can drill out new mounting holes in the motor.
>
> Motor casing is AL; I guess if I punch through I wreck it. I
> have drills and collets; what would you do?

You are in the enviable position of having seen other, "proper",
installs, so if the motor (case) in this vehicle is the same as that in
the other installs you should be safe drilling new holes in the same
location as the "proper" installs, and of the same depth.

Not having any idea of exactly what the encoder looks like or how it
mounts to this motor vs the "proper" install way makes it difficult, but
if you have doubts about the similarity of this motor case to the others
(the "genius" who built this truck may have had a good reason for
mounting the encoder differently even though it made both his and your
lives more difficult), perhaps it is possible to fabricate a small
adapter/bracket that mounts to the motor using the existing holes, and
provides either holes or studs in the proper location for the encoder
case to attach to?  I'm envisioning something like a more-or-less flat
piece of 1/16" thick aluminum sheet with holes for mounting it to the
motor and a pair of countersunk machine screws installed from the motor
side for the encoder case to slide and then nuts and washers installed
to secure it.

If the housing of the properly oriented encoder would obstruct access to
the original mounting holes, then install the bracket to the motor
first, and then secure the encoder to it; if the original holes are
accessible even with the encoder in place, then attach bracket to the
encoder first and then install the assembly to the motor.

Good luck!

My suggestion: keep it simple.
Place connectors where you need them.
It is rather easy to add one later
if you find out that you need to work
on (for example) your contactors.
But it usually is also easy to unbolt
a cable from the last battery, or any
battery cable - as long as you do not
have ground faults, the results are the
same. Measure with a digital volt meter
before touching, just like a pro would.
If necessary and you're not sure, ground
the cables before working on them - if there
is still anything on, it will disappear and
if its a high current path, your fuse may
blow, but that's better than that your candle
is extinguished.

You can also ask why professional EVs do not
have high-power connectors. My truck does not
have any disconnect in the high current path
other than the:
- contactors
- motor/grid changeover switch (for high power charging)
- battery box ON/OFF switch

I know there are EV's with hundreds of connectors, several
in the high current path.
As you already hinted - every connector is an increase
in resistance. not much, but it depends on how dirty it
gets over time.

In my EV I had to pull the battery box ON/OFF switch and
clean the contacts or I would have melted the switch at some
point of time - too much resistance from dirty contacts.
(Note: this is a 100A continuous switch for my 200A max
312V 50kW AC drive.)

YMMV.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

Thursday, August 03, 2006
Are Lithium-Ion Electric Cars Safe?
The use of a type of battery with a history of overheating raises
safety concerns.

By Kevin Bullis

Laptops equipped with lithium-ion batteries occasionally overheat and
catch fire. This has some people concerned about the use of this type
of battery in new electric sports cars and kits for converting
conventional cars and hybrid vehicles into all-electric cars.

It's an exciting time for electric vehicles -- with regular
announcements of increasing storage capacities for battery materials
(see "Battery Breakthrough") and exotic, high-priced vehicles
slated to
come onto the market, such as the recently announced sports car from
Tesla Motors of San Carlos, CA. But electric vehicles have failed in
the past. If they're going to succeed this time around,
they'll need to
win over the general consumer, and that will mean, among other things,
demonstrating that the powerful battery packs are safe.
[end of snip]

Tks
Lock
Human/electric hybrid in Toronto

Jukka Järvinen
R&D Director
Oy Finnish Electric Vehicle Technologies Ltd
Teollisuuskatu 24 A3
11100 RIHIMÄKI
FINLAND
VAT ID: FI18534078

jukka.jarvinen(a_t)fevt.com
mobile +358-440-735705
phone +358-19-735705
fax +358-19-735785

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsy55s49Wo&mode=related&search=

Can anyone translate from Japanese?

I can't tell if there is any quarter mile information given here, but
they "show" the Eliica reaching 100 mph (actually 160 kph) in 7.04
seconds. Not bad for an eight wheeled limozine!

-Mike

Yes.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

I am only getting audio on this link, are other's getting full video?

-Mike

On 8/10/06, Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.exn.ca/dailyplanet/view.asp?date=9/19/2005

Martin K wrote:
I like the idea, but I know many people on the list wouldn't agree :)

Consider this, would you pay $20K for a '95 Aspire that gets 50mph and run 13's in the quarter mile, or a '91 Vette that does the same?
The cost to build is about the same.

Jack

I have this Aspire was going to play with, but I think I've decided to build something real instead, and the latest idea is to convert a '91 Corvette into an electric hybrid. Take the 1.3L motor from the aspire and put it into the corvette, along with a couple 8" motors and a lot of batteries. Make it scream on the electric, but run on the highway with the itty 1.3L. Then I could claim 50mph or better and yet be super fast in the 1/4 mile and high top-speed.
Am I insane?  Would you buy it for $20K?
Jack