  1) The next evolution of hobbyist EVs - there is money to be made
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on potentiometers)
        by "Joe Vitek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on potentiometers)
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on
 potentiometers)
        by Ralph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Test Lane is NOT Racing
        by Jim Waite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Interview about the movie "Who killed the electric car" on Youtube.com
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: OT: major breakthrough in photovoltaics claimed
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on potentiometers)
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: CurrentEliminator
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Battery oil
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Freedom EV update
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on potentiometers)
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on potentiometers)
        by "Joe Vitek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: The next evolution of hobbyist EVs - there is money to be made
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: The next evolution of hobbyist EVs - there is money to be made
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Conversions in the Northwest
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on potentiometers)
        by "Joe Vitek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Optical encoders for "throttle"
        by "Joe Vitek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: The next evolution of hobbyist EVs - there is money to be made
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: OT: major breakthrough in photovoltaics claimed
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Battery Box Cooling Fan Control from PFC30
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) PFC-30 Startup
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Conversions in the Northwest
        by "Richard Rau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: The next evolution of hobbyist EVs - there is money to be made
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Test Lane is NOT Racing
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 26) Re: World's First Electric Junior Dragster
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 27) Re: Test Lane is NOT Racing
While working on my next project,  I realize there are a few places where an
electrical/mechanical  hobbyist can make some money:

1) High performance AC controller and motor.  Something liquid cooled (to
facilitate tight spaces) with regen, and the power to rival the best DC
systems.  Get it under the $10k mark and there will be a winner.  Otmar did
this with the Zilla DC controller,  now time to try AC?

2) Lithium battery modules.  ACP and Tesla are leveraging the common 18650
lithium battery.  How about making a 70Ah 12V "battery" of these things with
a built in BMS?

3) An inexpensive BMS for lithium cells.  For a 300V system based on Kokam,
it would require 70-80 cells.  The currently available BMS for this is way
too expensive.  How about leveraging existing BMS chips used for laptops and
power electronics.

Unfortunately since I do not have the power electronics or motor building
experience, I would have no clue how to build this.  Any takers?

Don

> You can use a digital rheostat,
> microchip mcp4012, 5k with 64 steps.
> Jack

How would you use that as throttle control input? We were talking about the
actual human
interface (at least, that's what I thought). What would be the human interface?

--
joe

I didn't know there were any true rheostat digi-pots on the market.

Problem is, your encoder has to put out exactly 63 pulses from it's start to end position, then back again, and it has to be synchronized to the digipots starting position on power-up.

Jack Murray wrote:
You can use a digital rheostat,
microchip mcp4012, 5k with 64 steps.
Jack

Eric Poulsen wrote:
The direction isn't difficult. If you have your basic slotted disk and use two light sensors that are 90degrees out-of-phase (WRT the slot pulses, not the circumference of the sensor), you can easily implement a circuit that gives out a direction and pulse outputs. They old-school mice that had a rubber ball in them worked this way.

The difficult part in the implementation is creating a circuit that pretends to be a rheostat/pot, _and_ making sure that when it changes it's resistance, that it does so smoothly.

Joe Vitek wrote:

Ya know, When I read that originally, I thought, "What a neat idea!" However, how would that be implemented? I mean, how would the circuit "know" what direction you are going?

--
joe

Ralph,

I'm not sure I follow you exactly -- do you mean an optical encoder that
emulates a potentiometer/rheostat? Yes, this is possible, but not sure
if there's an off-the-shelf implementation.

Ralph wrote:
Hi Eric,

Has anyone developed a opto-isolator so there won't be dead spots? You know sooner or

later a potentiometer on the floor is going fail!

I think you're all making this a bit too hard. If you used an opto-isolator, or
a light sensitive resistor and simply used a curtain between the light source
and the sensor, a simple analog voltage could easily be produced and it would
run reliably so long as the light source (LED?) continued to run. No dead
spots.

Morley, a manufacturer of classic guitar effects pedels, used this technique
for the same reason (reliability) back in the 60s and 70s (although they used a
light bulb for the light source).

-Ralph

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:32:19 -0700
Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You can use a digital rheostat,
> microchip mcp4012, 5k with 64 steps.
> Jack
>
> Eric Poulsen wrote:
> > The direction isn't difficult.  If you have your basic slotted disk and
> > use two light sensors that are 90degrees out-of-phase (WRT the slot
> > pulses, not the circumference of the sensor), you can easily implement a
> > circuit that gives out a direction and pulse outputs.  They old-school
> > mice that had a rubber ball in them worked this way.
> >
> > The difficult part in the implementation is creating a circuit that
> > pretends to be a rheostat/pot, _and_ making sure that when it changes
> > it's resistance, that it does so smoothly.
> >
> > Joe Vitek wrote:
> >
> >> Ya know, When I read that originally, I thought, "What a neat idea!"
> >> However, how would
> >> that be implemented? I mean, how would the circuit "know" what
> >> direction you are going?
> >>
> >> --
> >> joe

John, John, John, .....Dennis, Dennis, Dennis....

  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!!!

  (and next time John, why don't you say what you REALLY mean ;-)

  For almost two weeks now, ever since I decided to go to PIR(Woodburn) this
year, I have been waiting patiently to read just the right comment, or see just
the right kind of *spark* that this weekends PIR EVent so deservedly
needed......

  Gentlemen, you have not failed me!!!

  Without overstating the obvious, and due to the all of the EVr's and media
who WILL be at PIR, *THIS* MY FELLOW EV'RS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!!!

  As John so succinctly painted, I too have been fortunate to witness the sheer
magic of an an otherwise almighty and unbeatable gasser being blown away by a
meek, but as all know, MIGHTY EV. I've only been to 3 EV drags (Woodburn twice,
and once to Infineon), but seeing you Dennis, and you John (and Dave, Rich,
Otmar, etc. etc. etc.) pummel the Viper's, Vette's, rails or whatever's, well
all I can say is that over and over, again and again, it's launched this humble
EV'rs Grin into a full-blown EV HOOTnHOWEL (watch & listen to the videos folks,
you'll hear it throughout the crowd).

  Let me also say to you, Dennis, I WILL be in Bakersfield later this year to
cheer Current Eliminator (and you:-) on at Regionals (and maybe we'll even see
some *heads up* style EV racing as well?)

  I sincerely look forward to seeing EVeryone at PIR this weekend!

  Jim Waite

  (*PIR/Woodburn - Woodstock West '06* anyone?...
  Oh my gawd, is that Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young I hear in the background?!)

Thomas,
As the person who posted the youtube of Chris, and an ex-Think driver in San Francisco, I just wanted to say hello. I hope my little red Th!nk has found its way to good family.

Marc Geller
San Francisco

On Aug 24, 2006, at 7:30 AM, Thomas Henden wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Z4xEmAuR0

Happy (and a really lucky) owner of a Th!nk City electric car.

Thomas Henden, Oslo, Norway.

---
"Let me put it this way, Mr. Amer, The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error."

"geysers"?

The panels are able to generate enough energy to run stoves, geysers, lights, TVs, fridges, computers - in short all the mod-cons of the modern house.

Danny

Lock Hughes wrote:

Just updating an old thread from February:

The idea would be to pair it up with an optical encoder.

Joe Vitek wrote:
You can use a digital rheostat,
microchip mcp4012, 5k with 64 steps.
Jack

How would you use that as throttle control input? We were talking about the
actual human
interface (at least, that's what I thought). What would be the human interface?

--
joe

That's great news, Dennis! I know there are a lot of fans of drag
racing. This will be a great way to show them how fast EVs can be!
has!" -- Margaret Mead

Storm Connors wrote:
> Someone mentioned the Edison Batteries using battery oil to keep
> air out of the battery and to cut down on passing electrolyte out
> of the battery.

Flooded cells with a potassium hydroxide electrolyte can absorb carbon
dioxide out of the atmosphere, to form potassium carbonate. The cell is
said to be "carbonated", and the electrolyte needs to be replaced. But
the amount of CO2 in the air is so low that this takes a long time. It's
mainly a problem at high temperatures, or for cells that are old or not
being used regularly.

One trick to prevent carbonation was to add a small amount of oil (any
oil). It floats on top of the electrolyte, to prevent carbon dioxide
from getting into it. But during gassing, gas bubbles go right through
it unimpeded. When you add water, it also goes right through the oil
layer as if it weren't there.

The main drawback is that if the cell ever gets low on water, the oil
can wet the exposed separator and plates. This destroys their ability to
function, so you have to laboriously drain the cell, rinse out the oil
with some solvent, and refill it.

Oil has no purpose for lead-acid batteries. They don't carbonate. The
layer of oil won't affect gassing or water usage. The only thing the oil
will do is to slow down the rate of evaporation if the battery is left
for long periods in a high-temperature low-humidity environment.

> batteries that last 40 years or more seem pretty logical too.

Edison cells worked fine, but cost more and required a lot of
maintenance. They needed watering more often, every few years you had to
replace the electrolyte, and every 5-10 years you had to take them apart
and replace the separators. They are a good deal if your labor is cheap
or free; otherwise they cost more than lead-acid.

> It was mentioned that the Edison batteries were inefficient.
> Replacing the battery pack every 3 years is pretty inefficient.

Edison cells have a low charge efficiency, so it takes a lot more energy
to charge them than you get back on discharge.

Any battery can be recycled, but at the moment, only lead-acids are
being recycled in any significant amount (94% the last I heard). Most
other batteries people just throw in landfills.

> Anyway, I found a modern offering of battery oil.
> Is it any more than high priced mineral oil?

No. Plain old mineral oil works just as well (to the extent that it
works at all).
has!" -- Margaret Mead

jerryd wrote:
> The Freedom all composite chassis has been completed, and [am] now
> mating it to the body with Lee Hart's excellent help.

Thanks, Jerry! It was great to see the Freedom at last, as well as all
the other neat stuff at your place. Jerry is really "into" 3-wheelers --
there are *dozen* of them there. 3-wheel bikes, 3-wheel personal
mobility scooters, 3-wheel Honda "leaning" motorcycles, three versions
of his 3-wheel "Woody", and of course the Freedom itself.

I rather liked his Woody (the "Lumbergini" as Bob Rice likes to say).
It's a great combination of size, weight, simplicity, cost and
performance. Like an NEV, but fast enough to serve as a real car. The
size of a Sparrow, but seats 2 and has cargo space. Being built of wood,
it is extremely simple to build yet surprisingly strong. By using golf
cart parts and a VW Beetle front end, parts are cheap and available. I
think Jerry said he used it for 10 years! It looks pretty sad today;
Florida's weather has taken its toll on it.

The Freedom is what I came to see. The body looks very good.
Streamlined, but all simple curves like the R.Q. Riley vehicles. It's
bigger than I thought; about 5 feet wide, 5 feet high, and 11 feet long.
The door and window openings haven't been cut out yet, so it is very
rigid. It is two layers of fiberglass with a foam core. Feels like it
weighs around 150 lbs.

I helped him finish up the chassis. It too is all fiberglass, with a
3/4" foam core. Basically, it consists of two big boxes; the interior
and the battery box. The battery box is about 32" x 30", right between
the two front wheels, and big enough for twelve golf cart batteries. The
interior is about 4' x 5', very roomy, and with a large shelf above the
rear wheel for storage. It weighted about 190 lbs. I'm eyeballing these
dimensions; Jerry can provide the actual numbers.

When I left, Jerry was trimming and fitting the body and chassis
together. It should be an amazingly rigid structure when finished.

I don't know what he's going to use for the front and rear suspension.
The light weight, good streamlining, and huge battery box gives
it the potential for very good range. Speed is going to depend on the
motor and controller chosen.

> then it's on to the doors, probably the hardest thing in it.
> But I think I have a good plan for them.

Most homebuilt and kit cars have lousy doors that work poorly, leak and
rattle. I'd suggest using doors off some existing car, with a new outer
skin to conform to the body. This would provide all the hardware for the
hinges, latches, locks, rolldown windows in one fully debugged package.

> Then move on to the windshield, dash, inside coverings, brakes,
> etc. Then the electrical starts with the finish finally in sight!
> Sounds so easy doesn't it!!

He's come a long ways, but there's still a lot to do. The potential is
there for the Freedom to be a Sparrow done right. But the outcome will
depend on the details and tradeoffs. Do it cheap, or do it good? Spartan
or luxury? Speed vs. range?

> We should have AC'ed space in the next week or two which will allow
> a much longer work day and night, out of the Fla bugs, rain,
> humidity, speeding things up.

That's for sure! The Florida summer climate was murder on a Minnesota
boy like me! I don't see how Jerry gets *anything* done in that climate!
An indoor air-conditioned shop looks mandatory to me.
has!" -- Margaret Mead

--- Begin Message --- You can do it with a disk that's variably tinted around it's circumference, paired with a CDS cell, but getting the resistance right (especially the low resistance) is difficult.

Ralph wrote:
I think you're all making this a bit too hard. If you used an opto-isolator, or a light sensitive resistor and simply used a curtain between the light source and the sensor, a simple analog voltage could easily be produced and it would run reliably so long as the light source (LED?) continued to run. No dead spots.
Morley, a manufacturer of classic guitar effects pedels, used this technique
for the same reason (reliability) back in the 60s and 70s (although they used a
light bulb for the light source).

-Ralph

> The direction isn't difficult.  If you have your basic slotted disk and
> use two light sensors that are 90degrees out-of-phase (WRT the slot
> pulses, not the circumference of the sensor), you can easily implement a
> circuit that gives out a direction and pulse outputs.  They old-school
> mice that had a rubber ball in them worked this way.

Ah, very cool. I didn't think of phasing two in different positions. Hey, I am
an RF guy!
Thanks for the quick response.

> The difficult part in the implementation is creating a circuit that
> pretends to be a rheostat/pot, _and_ making sure that when it changes
> it's resistance, that it does so smoothly.

Since it will all be quantized, you can't really get away from the discrete
steps, but if
you have enough of them, it will be relatively smooth? If you use it to control
a current
mode D/A, say, 4-20mA maybe? ;)

--
joe

Don Cameron wrote:

> 2) Lithium battery modules.  ACP and Tesla are leveraging the
> common 18650 lithium battery.  How about making a 70Ah 12V
> "battery" of these things with a built in BMS?

This is exactly what Valence offers in their U-Charge series of
products:

<http://www.valence.com/ucharge.asp>

The XP product, rather than the RT product is what EVers should be
looking at:

<http://www.valence.com/pdffiles/U-Charge%20XP%20DS%20Jan06.pdf>

Both include internal BMS circuitry, but the RT includes devices to
disconnect the internal cells from the load in the event of over or
under voltage, and the ratings of these devices limit both the max
discharge rate and max pack voltage that these modules can tolerate.

The UEV-18XP modules are 18V 65Ah blocks that allow building a higher
voltage string from fewer blocks than the 12V modules.

There are two different BMS modules to choose from, depending on the
pack voltage: one for up to 150V and another for 100-450V packs.

Unfortunately, the Valence modules are rather pricey at this time,
however, hopefully the prices will drop as production & sale volumes
increase.

As lots of people i suppose, i'm working on point 2 and 3 :^)

cordialement,
Philippe

Et si le pot d'échappement sortait au centre du volant ?
quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
 http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php

> While working on my next project,  I realize there are a few places where
an
> electrical/mechanical  hobbyist can make some money:
>

> 1) High performance AC controller and motor.  Something liquid cooled (to
> facilitate tight spaces) with regen, and the power to rival the best DC
> systems.  Get it under the $10k mark and there will be a winner.  Otmar
did
> this with the Zilla DC controller,  now time to try AC?
>

> 2) Lithium battery modules.  ACP and Tesla are leveraging the common 18650
> lithium battery.  How about making a 70Ah 12V "battery" of these things
with
> a built in BMS?
>

> 3) An inexpensive BMS for lithium cells.  For a 300V system based on
Kokam,
> it would require 70-80 cells.  The currently available BMS for this is way
> too expensive.  How about leveraging existing BMS chips used for laptops
and
> power electronics.
>

> Unfortunately since I do not have the power electronics or motor building
> experience, I would have no clue how to build this.  Any takers?
>

> Don

That depends.  If someone were to offer me $15K for
CivicWithACord, I'd take it, and start on the next
one.  Production-wise, few want the liability, and I'm
not into converting cars other than the Civic.

--- Lawrence Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Who is doing conversions in the Northwest?  I'm just
> doing EV work locally
> here in the San Francisco Bay area but there are
> people in the Oregon/
> Washington area that want cars done.  Roderick do
> you have
> recommendations????

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

> You can do it with a disk that's variably tinted around it's
> circumference, paired with a CDS cell, but getting the resistance right
> (especially the low resistance) is difficult.

I was thinking of something like this after you said that:

http://home.comcast.net/~rfpowerdude/throttle_encoder.pdf

Use a coupla op-amps for scaling and for a low resistance source to put out
0-5V and you
could probably use it. Or make the op-amps into a current source if the motor
controller
wants a current drive input...

--
joe

> The idea would be to pair it up with an optical encoder.

Yeah, I realized that just after the nick of time. ;) Right after I sent that,
I realized
that you would do the mouse type encoder and then use the digi-pot.

I am a little slow at times... especially when I should be working instead of
daydreaming
EV stuff... ;)

--
joe

Hey Side note folks

I have a pack of Valence U24 modules that are going into a VW Bug and a
PiPrius kit this week.
Lots to talk about little time for now.
Clearly I will have the U Charge hooked up to a PFC charger and then to the
PiPrius control system.

So..... I am rather excited that Kent Bakke of  the Seattle EV assosiation
is having me do the  system build up.

Pricey is a Understatment...
Available is the obvious improvment.
Lithium is here... it's sitting on my shop's floor taking up room.
Yea Baaabeeeee!!!

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

> > 2) Lithium battery modules.  ACP and Tesla are leveraging the
> > common 18650 lithium battery.  How about making a 70Ah 12V
> > "battery" of these things with a built in BMS?
>
> This is exactly what Valence offers in their U-Charge series of
> products:
>
> <http://www.valence.com/ucharge.asp>
>
> The XP product, rather than the RT product is what EVers should be
> looking at:
>
> <http://www.valence.com/pdffiles/U-Charge%20XP%20DS%20Jan06.pdf>
>
> Both include internal BMS circuitry, but the RT includes devices to
> disconnect the internal cells from the load in the event of over or
> under voltage, and the ratings of these devices limit both the max
> discharge rate and max pack voltage that these modules can tolerate.
>
> The UEV-18XP modules are 18V 65Ah blocks that allow building a higher
> voltage string from fewer blocks than the 12V modules.
>
> There are two different BMS modules to choose from, depending on the
> pack voltage: one for up to 150V and another for 100-450V packs.
>
> Unfortunately, the Valence modules are rather pricey at this time,
> however, hopefully the prices will drop as production & sale volumes
> increase.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger.

Just a reminder that discussions of alternative energy are off topic for this
list.
 They should be carefully limited, even if flagged OT.

FYI, alt-energy has its own SJSU listserver.  I encourage anyone interested
in solar, wind, geothermal, etc. energy to sign up.  When it comes to AE,
you'll find that list much more receptive, and much more informative, than this
one.  To subscribe, send an email message containing the text

      subscribe ae your-first-name your-last-name

to the address

     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please try to discuss AE here only in the context of whatever particular
challenges it presents when charging EVs.

Thanks.

Simple idea.. the Mk2B Reg has a external load port on it.
I use it to drive a 60MM 12 volt fan. It's only on when the Reg fires. So
the fans blip on an off. But are totally off when the reg is not firing.

Yes you can use the blue led sense if you opto couple it.

Better yet use the Yellow LED since it will be only on when the charger is
holding the Regs at full voltage.
And the yellow goes out when the timer locks off at the end of charge. The
blue will lock on solid at time out...

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

 Date:  8/24/06 6:36:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Wayland)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 Hello to All,

 I usually hold my tongue when Dennis beats this drum, this time, I cannot.

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 >Its too bad that other EVs up there in the
 >Northwest and around the country do not take advantage of racing the ice
cars(test
 >lane is NOT racing).

 Actually, it's too bad Dennis can't just congratulate us on our years of
 hard work at changing the public's perception that EVs are slow, dull,
 and boring and stop with his dissing our 'heads up' racing style.

 Trust me Dennis, when folks see White Zombie line up next to a new
 Vette, see us both get the same exact light (not the staggered light of
 'bracket racing' that tries to level the playing field) then see the
 electric car run off from the Vette and beat it fair and square,
 everyone in the stands, everyone behind the burnout pits, and everyone
 behind the fence clinching the rail, calls this racing! They never
 forget what they witnessed...nor does the guy in the Vette! Heads up
 style drag racing at the track is the closest thing to the real deal of
 illegal street racing as one can get! The whole reason the NHRA came
 into being, was to make a place where drag racers could safely duke it
 out with 'the guy in the other lane'. Most racing fans aren't like
 Dennis, where showing off how good 'you' are is the goal...they want to
 see how good the 'cars' are. Bracket racing focuses on the driver, not
 the car. Heads up racing focuses on the car, not the driver.

 >NHRA and Summit racing offer great programs in all classes
 >to as slow as 21 seconds in the qt.mile.

 Yes, in bracket racing even a slug of a car like a 20 second automatic
 VW van can actually win against hot Mustangs and powerful Vipers.
 Bracket racing is for the 'driver', and if he or she is skilled enough,
 cagey enough, and gutsy enough, with the staggered launch tree giving a
 head start to the slow vehicle, they can actually beat the quicker more
 powerful car over the finish line. In the real world of heads up racing,
 that would never happen and the quickest car wins, as it should be. If
 you're trying to promote EVs by demonstrating that they can not only
 keep up with, but beat gas cars in a side by side drag race, heads up is
 what it's all about. If you're trying to promote yourself, then bracket
 racing is where you should be. I have done my share of it, but bracket
 racing is more about the 'driver's' reaction time, the 'driver's'
 techniques, the 'driver's' choices....perfect for a guy like Dennis
 where winning is everything and where being considered the best at what
 he does, is important. I (and my fellow NEDRA racers) prefer to advance
 the cause of the electric car, not to advance the notion that I'm the
 world's greatest racer.

 Dennis proclaims that that heads up style is not racing, and he suggests
 that we only hang out in the test lanes. Funny then, all 8 lanes at PIR
 must be test lanes I guess. Each Friday and Saturday night they're jam
 packed with hot vehicles going head to head with each other.
 Everyone watching isn't screaming and cheering for their favorite racing
 personality, they're screaming and cheering-on their favorite 'car'. You
 hear comments like 'Watch this little electric car blow off that Road
 Runner.' That's what NEDRA racers want, folks noticing, commenting
 about, and ultimately being fans of the electric car.

 Where I do agree that having electrics do well in any venue of racing is
 a good thing (including bracket racing), I feel that when it comes to
 convincing non-believers that an electric car can be quick and powerful,
 there's nothing better than heads up style racing where you race what
 pulls up next to you...no timing tree computer evening the playing
 field, no tricks used like stomping the brake pedal at the end of the
 run (so you don't run too fast and break out), no tricks like disguising
 body parts (so the racer next to you at the end thinks you're still
 behind them by a nose), none of this....just pure car vs car...pedal to
 the metal...which one outperforms the other....no BS!

 >Nedra worked hard to get their rules adopted by NHRA and I seem to be the
only one taking advantage of them(even though I am no longer a nedra member).

 We worked extremely hard to make it so that anyone with an EV can run on
 an NHRA track, guys like Dennis!

 >There are thousands of dollars to be won in bracket racing every weekend
around the country.

 Dennis, we don't do it for money, we do it to advance the electric car.

 >Bracket racers are 97% of the drag racers in the country.

 Well of course this is the case! When 97% of the cars on the road are
 the same old thing, same Mustang, same Cuda, same Vette, same Camaro,
 same WRX....the only way to make the racing inviting to all these folks
 (stuck in using the same old technology) is to showcase the driver, not
 the car. I'd also like to advance the thought, that this same 97% of all
 racers, don't care one bit about advancing a cause (what kind of cause
 is promoting the use of gas?), all they want, is to have fun and look
 good at winning. That's OK, but it's not what NEDRA racers are about. I
 guess NEDRA racers fall into that other 3%, the 3% that want to change
 the world.

 Dennis is to be congratulated on his incredible skills and his current
 points standing. His routine bracket racing against gas cars is good for
 showing folks that an EV can be consistent. I do think though, that it
 was MUCH better for the EV cause when Dennis was into heads up style
 racing, trying to go as quickly as he could pushing his EV to that world
 record of 8.8 seconds. Somehow, seeing the vehicle run 12 seconds these
 days isn't the same as when it scorched down the track in the 8s. I'll
 never forget that heads up drag race I witnessed between an alcohol
 injected V8 rail dragster and Dennis' electric rail...no staggered tree,
 no handicaps, just two similar machines out on the strip, but with the
 controversial contrast of one being a conventional a gas powered rail vs
 an electric powered one....the electric powered Current Eliminator won,
 the crowd went nuts, and the world still remembers!

 See Ya.......John Wayland >>
***John ,and all other nedra record holders,I do race heads up each and every
bracket race I enter.There are three practice runs or TEST runs before every
bracket race.These 3 runs are always Heads up.So I do race heads up at least 3
times a week 48 weekends a month and sometimes I enter 2 or 3 races per
weekend.So the CE goes heads up with the ices at least 144 times a year.

                                             I allready have the ALL OUT ET
EV record 8.801 seconds.I DO NOT HAVE A BATTERY PACK now that will run 8 second
runs(however I still have the car and tuneup).I will not spend my hard earned
money on such a pack unless someone takes my record.If a suitable hi power
battery pack ends up at my front door I will install it in the CE and reset the
record for the battery co.sponsering the pack.I will at that point go heads up
with anyone.CE is NHRA legal to 7.50 seconds in the qt.mi.Someday someone
will blow that 8.8 record away at which point I will step back up to the
line.Until that time I ENJOY bracket racing and CE and I are making waves for
evs in
NHRA with lots of ink monthly in the national dragster plus bucks in my
pocket.Come out to the finals and tell the ice racers they and there cars are
not
racing,come on            Dennis Berube

In a message dated 8/24/06 9:47:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

<< Subj:     RE: World's First Electric Junior Dragster
 Date:  8/24/06 9:47:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Vitek)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 > I came across this while doing research. It is the blue dragster near the
 > middle. Read the link. http://www.1134.org/adventures/dragrace/

 That is too cool! I like the junior dragster idea, but an ELECTRIC junior
dragster for my
 daughter would rock!

 --
 joe >>
The only problem Joe Ev juniors cannot compete against the ice juniors nedra

In a message dated 8/24/06 10:13:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

<< Subj:     Re: Test Lane is NOT Racing
 Date:  8/24/06 10:13:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Waite)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu (EVDL)

[...]

   *** You will see heads up racing in the practice/test runs   Dennis