  1) Re: Apple recalls 1.8 million laptop batteries / A123 battery
  fire
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on potentiometers)
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Pot Box Cable Life
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Tesla Vs Lotus Elise
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: The next evolution of hobbyist EVs - there is money to be made
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) WANTED: Adapter for 87 Chevy S10 w/ warp 9
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Potbox alternative
        by "Paul Compton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Potbox alternative
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: NEDRA News: Late Night Nationals
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: World's First Electric Junior Dragster
        by "England Nathan-r25543" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Potbox alternative
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Real EVs on the road
        by "England Nathan-r25543" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Potbox alternative
        by "Stefan T. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: range rockers
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Motor Current vs Battery Ratio
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Generator Trailer
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Conversions in the Northwest
        by "Joseph H. Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Freedom EV Crash Test?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Apple recalls 1.8 million laptop batteries / A123 battery fire
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- For ordinary laptop cells, there is not a lot you can do, aside from keeping things around the battery pack from catching fire.

Ordinary Li-Ion laptop cells, when heated beyond about 70 Celsius, will burn internally and flames will come out the end like a road flare or a roman candle. You can pour water on the pack to help keep adjacent cells from overheating, but in an EV-sized pack, this will likely not do much good unless you put on a lot of water. The burning cells will boil the water and the steam can overheat the adjacent cells, touching them off.

        Bill Dube'

At 02:41 PM 8/25/2006, you wrote:
Any idea how a lithium battery fire would be extinguished?

Will exposed lithium would burn violently when mixed with water (like sodium), or does this not occur with the lithium compounds used?

There are several different classes of fire extinguisher, which one is most appropriate? Are there types that would actually make the fire worse?

Danny

Charles Whalen wrote:

Thanks Roger and Ed for explaining how these fires in cylindrical li-ion
cells are usually the result of internal shorts caused by tiny metal
particle contamination across the separator as an occasional but inevitable
imperfection of the manufacturing process (which I assume must be difficult
to nearly impossible to completely eliminate through standard and even
enhanced quality control testing techniques -- if Sony can't do it, then
surely nobody can, as Ed suggested).

Combining this with Bill Dube's explanation of the mechanics of how such a
fire would burn in an A123 (LiFeP) 26650 cell in response to my previous
post asking about Craig Uyeda's A123 cell fire, I would guess that this type
of occasional but inevitable manufacturing imperfection that you guys
described is probably what caused the fire (due to just such an internal
short) in that single one of Uyeda's A123 cells (out of a pack of 100
cells), which burned up the "thimble-full of liquid electrolyte" in the
cell, but not having any oxides within the cell to further fuel the fire (as
is the case in the common LiCoO2 18650 industry-standard laptop cells), the
fire burned itself out fairly quickly such that it was contained to that
single cell and didn't spread in a chain reaction to the other 99 cells in
the pack, as almost always seems to be the case with assembled packs of
LiCoO2 18650 laptop cells.

Yeah, you're right that even the best, most sophisticated, most highly
engineered BMS in the world with triple and quadruple redundant fail-safe
backups is useless and can't do anything to prevent this sort of
conflagration of LiCoO2 18650 laptop cells (caused by such an internal short
within a single cell), but at least with A123 LiFeP 26650 cells, any such
fire is likely to be of short duration, contained to the single cell, and
won't erupt into a conflagration of the pack, as Bill Dube' explained.

This leads to another question or two.  I've heard that A123 is working on
the development of large-format, EV-size cells in the 100-200Ah range.
First, I wonder what their timetable is on that, at least for having
prototype cells available.  Second, I wonder if the much larger format cell
and its manufacturing process (as distinct from that of a small cell) is
inherently more amenable to solving/preventing this sort of manufacturing
imperfection in the small cells where this type of tiny metal particle
contamination occasionally occurs.  Anyone have any insight into either of
those two questions?

Very interesting.

Charles Whalen

On Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:20 PM, Roger Stockton wrote:

Edward Ang wrote:

Dell confirmed that the problem is manufacturing
contamination.  Metal particles remained in the
cell causing shorts across the separator.
The problem is inside the cell, so, no amount of
BMS could prevent the problem.

The cells are made by Sony.  Makes you wonder if
Sony (the inventor of LiIon batteries) and one of the
best consumer product manufacturers could not nail
the manufacturing process, who else could, doesn't it?

I wonder what impact would these recalls have on Tesla
and AC Propulsion since they both actively advertise their
systems use laptop computer LiIon batteries.

This is one of the main reasons AIR Lab decided to focus
on the robust Nimh battery.  The last thing we need is an
EV that burst into flame on the freeway.  The local and
national news would love to cover and exaggerate this.

--
Edward Ang
President

I wrote about this precise problem with the LiIon cylindrical cells upon
my return from the 2006 Advancements in Battery Technology & Power
Management conference in April.

It appears *inevitable* that there will be failures of this sort
regardless of the manufacturer, although the frequency/likelihood is
dramatically higher with less well-controlled manufacturing processes
such as are often associated with lower-cost Chinese production.

The safer cell chemistries may contain the damage to the single
defective cell rather than proceeding into an uncontrolled combustion of
neighbouring cells as well, but the issue seems to remain that the
cyclindrical cells are prone to this sort of internal shorting, and
there is nothing an external BMS can do about it.

On Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5:58 PM, Bill Dube wrote:

        The electrolyte is an organic solvent. There is a thimble
full in each cell. If you short a cell, it can overheat and vent the
solvent. If there is an ignition source present (like the red-hot
shorted interconnect) you can get a flame. Once the solvent is gone,
or you starve the fire for oxygen, the flame goes out. You won't get
much flame in a closed battery box, for example, because you will
quickly use up the oxygen.

        This is distinctly different to what other types of Li-Ion
cells do. In those type cells fire is internal. These traditional
style of Li-Ion cell behave just like a road flare or a roman candle.
You can't put them out. They require no air to continue burning. The
whole pack is going to burn and there is nothing you can do but watch
(perhaps roast a marshmallow.)

        Quite a big difference.

        Bill Dube'

At 02:07 PM 8/23/2006, Charles Whalen wrote:

That guy Craig Uyeda claims that one of his 100 A123 li-ion cells caught
on fire.  Does anyone know the circumstances of that and how it happened?

I didn't think it was possible for A123 li-ions to catch fire because of
their lithium-iron-phosphate chemistry being very distinct and much safer
than the common lithium-cobalt-oxide chemistry used in the
industry-standard 18650 laptop cells, in particular with no "oxide" to be
liberated in the case of LiFeP.  Valence and A123, both of which use
lithium-iron-phosphate chemistries, claim that something like that (a
fire) is not supposed to be able to happen with their batteries.

Very curious and wondering how that happened with the A123 cell.

Charles Whalen

On Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:00 AM, Mark Fisher wrote:

This thread

http://www.visforvoltage.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=31&t=4325&s=71612a004543b13cb5673077c0e2711a

has some discussion of the effects of lithium fires. Craig Ucheda is a
particularly extreme EV scooter enthusiast. Apparently the Fire Marshall
isn't so thrilled by his hobby...

Of course, gasoline burns pretty well too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCsbZf1_Ng&NR

I haven't tried it, but it looked like it should work. One problem is
that you don't have access to the internal supply voltage.

This is true. VSD is derived from an LM317L -- I checked the schematics, and the datasheet, and I came up with 87V, which is almost certainly wrong. I think the schematics are wrong (the schematic says this itself!) -- they list the regulator programming resistors as 69K and 1K, respectively. However, you could use a DVM to measure VSD by measuring the voltage from ground to the pot "HI" input, since this input is connected directly to VSD via a single resistor, as long as the potbox isn't hooked up, you should get an accurate reading of VSD.
How many miles does the average 5K Curtis Pot Box last before the
cable breaks inside the box, your foot goes to the floor and you go
nowhere but to your spare parts box ????
My first box only lasted 2500 miles of stop and go traffic 47 mile
round trip commuting.
Any substitutes for the 5K Curtis Pot Box ?
Any better cable than what Curtis uses inside their box ?

Menlo Park III,
Bill

Great story Ken!

I test drove an Elise earlier this year and had a blast. I had the car up to 120 mph and 80 mph on the ramps. The Elise stuck like glue in the turns. I was so addicted to it I put a down payment on one that day but my wife wasn't crazy about the idea so no Elise . . . . for now.

It would be cool to test a Tesla. That car is going to leave alot of exotic car owners in the dust. The fact that it has Lotus blood in it makes it event better.

We'll have to see what happens when the first cars ship in 2007. That must be a painful wait for those lucky folks who ordered the first 100.

I imagine one of the car mags will do a head to head test with them if they can wrangle one away from Tesla.

The car should do well at SCCA events and we'd love to have them at some NEDRA races.

Chip Gribben
NEDRA Webmaster - thinking about how things are going at the LNN
http://www.nedra.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: August 25, 2006 2:11:15 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Tesla Vs Lotus Elise

About two weeks ago, I spotted a Lotus Elise in a Walgreens parking lot. I whipped in to look it over. By the time the owner came out of the store, a sizeable crowd has formed. I got to chat with him a while, before he started giving rides to the crowd, and asked if he knew of the Tesla - which is built on the Elise line. He did not and asked me about it. Among other things, I told him that the Tesla was total electric and could go 250 miles per charge and did 0 - 60 MPH in 4 seconds. He was astonished and said his car was neither that fast nor would it go that far on a tank of gas.

Interesting....

Ken

Granted these are not easy products, but I would like to point out a few
things that do put this within the grasp of the entrepreneurial hobbyist:

1)  Otmar is doing well with his DC Controllers - is an AC controller that
much more complicated? (remember, I am naive about the internals of
controllers)

2)  For sure, there are no hobbyists building AC motors (or even DC ones),
but I am sure Jim's chomping at the bit to give it a try.  Can a quantity
(say 30 per year) be made for $2000-$3000 each?  Maybe the idea would be to
adapt, modify and or rewind existing motors for EV purpose.

3) The idea behind the lithium battery module is to take advantage of the
18650 lithium cell and leverage existing BMS for a more convenient, ready to
use large EV purpose cell (maybe an 80Ah 12V battery).  Is it that complex
that money cannot be made from enthusiasts market similar to what Otmar and
Rich are doing?

4) I know of several hobbyists who have designed and built BMSs that work
well for lead acid, one of those is the "Lee Hart Battery Balancer".  I know
a lot of work went into this and I am not trying to minimize the effort.
Victor and John are working on something like this. Cannot one be designed
and built for a larger scale system required by lithium?

One advantage the hobbyist has is that generally they build something
without keeping track of their time invested.  There is also an expectation
that they would never be paid for all their R&D work, most likely only
manufacturing costs and profit from there.  I am sure if Otmar or Rich added
up all the time they put into their products, they would probably average
out to 25 cents an hour.  Maybe if they new this at the beginning, they
would have never started.

Don

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

From: Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: August 25, 2006 2:14:30 AM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: NEDRA News: Late Night Nationals

Echoing Jim Husted, John Wayland's and Roy LeMeur's enthusiasm for the Late Night Nationals, I hope everyone can make it out. Jim will have at least 3 of his new motors in vehicles racing and others on hand for people to see up close.

Hey Chip,
Great job on the graphics!  Very nice.

I've just finished bench testing a couple Z2K-EHV's so I'll be bringing one of them (in the 914 of course) to the races Friday and Saturday for the Late Night Nationals. This way some lucky customer will get a truly "race tested" controller. ;)

I'm sure looking forward to it, it promises to be a fantastic weekend!
See you all there.
--
-Otmar-
914 EV, California Poppy,

http://www.CafeElectric.com/
The Zilla factory has moved to Corvallis Oregon.
Now accepting resumes. Please see:
http://www.cafeelectric.com/jobs.html

Is there an electric class for Jr. Dragsters or not? I keep hearing
conflicting information but don't know anyone with an electric Jr.
Dragster and have not found them on the web.

Thanks,

Nate

I like it. Are these available affordably in the US? Ordered from them it would
be about 4 to 5
times the price of a good quality 5k pot.

Dave Cover

--- Paul Compton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You know, there's a reason I don't read this list on a regular basis and it
> has to do with the tendancy of some list members to ignore proven off the
> shelf solutions to simple problems. I've posted many times over the years on
> alternatives to the convenient, but expensive and not very reliable Curtis
> potbox, but almost always been ignored.
>
> I'll try again, just in case anybody is listening.
>
> If you've got a controller with a 0-5K, or 5-0K, or a potentiometer input,
> then take a look at;
>
> http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=4246718
> and
> http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=7006457
>
> Automotive rated conductive plastic pots with 'D' shaft activation and built
> in return springs.
>
> 5 million full cycles.
>
> 10 million 'dither' cycles.
>
> Paul Compton
> www.sciroccoev.co.uk
> www.bvs.org.uk
> www.morini-mania.co.uk
> www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

Thanks for the link to evalbum.com, it shows basic set ups. Only a few
owners explain how they came up with their results but a good place to
start.

Roland's answer was excellent, not only do I know what his set up is but
have a feel for the characteristics of his EV in real world situations.
This gives me a very good idea as to how practical this package is for
everyday use and some idea of what to expect if I built an EV close to
these specs.

Thanks everybody,

Nate

Dave Cover wrote:
[...]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those what are typically used as a TPS in most domestic cars?

Seen nearby in the "Optical encoders for throttle (was RE: A note on potentiometers)" thread:

Danny Miller wrote:
There are reliable pots out there though.
If this is still about throttles, the vehicle's original Throttle Position Sensor is designed for continuous back-and-forth duty. If you kept the original throttle body and throttle cable, it'd be pretty simple to use that. Otherwise some jerryrigging is going to be necessary.

Tom,

The album could tell you at which speed the data was obtained as that is
filled in with the consumption,
but it currrently does not display it.
My US Electricar conversion of a 94 Chevy S10 does 320 Wh/mi or on par with
Bob Gruenwald's van
at a steady 55 mph on flat road.
To show this info, I have now copied it to the "Description" as well.
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/694

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com