  1) RE: Build EV For Someone Else
        by "Curtis Muhlestein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Battery boxes
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Battery boxes
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Battery boxes (Nothing to do with range)
        by "Ted C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Build EV For Someone Else
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Zilla controls backordered?
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Battery boxes
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Battery boxes
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Battery boxes
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: Floodies/Batt. murder mystery/Thanks to Roger & Roland
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Hot, stinky motor.  What does it mean?
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) PFC-30 no-drive-away interlock
        by Jake Oshins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Hot, stinky motor. What does it mean?
        by Chris Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: PFC-30 no-drive-away interlock
        by "Edward Ang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) EV Podcasting
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: EV Podcasting
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: EV Podcasting
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Weight and range (Was: Re: Battery boxes)
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Cor van de Water,
I have someone for the CFO position.  I am also looking for a Marketing
Director.

Jerry Dycus,
The design that we have settled on is:
http://www.ifgonline.com/Phantom6/

David Dymaxion,
Thanks for your comments and support.

Once we complete the team then we will be finishing the business plan that
we have started.  We feel it is important to build the team first and then
with the team in place, continue to develop the business.

There are many reasons why I wanted to keep this quite for as long as I
could, but after asking various direct question and really no direct
answers, I thought that it was time to share my idea with you.

Because of the design that we have selected, we want it to perform
comparably, using lead acid batteries.  We are looking forward to all the
new developments such as
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/09/brown_universit.html .

Curtis Muhlestein

From: Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Weight and range (Was: Re: Battery boxes)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 03:50:43 -0600
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

There have already been several answers to this email, but I haven't
seen one that covers the points to my satisfaction.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, but I play one here on the EV list :)

On Oct 2, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Jack Murray wrote:

> No, what the experts here say is that a heavier car doesn't have less
> range, just less acceleration.

That's an oversimplification.  The true picture depends not only the
weight of the car, but the weight of batteries on board, the efficiency
of the vehicle, and the dollar cost.

This is somewhat complicated because there are several factors that
affect your range, and they also affect each other.  I'm going to
ignore acceleration, except to point out that it's a function of the
vehicle's power and weight, which affect the efficiency and cost.

Range is a function of how much energy ("fuel") you have on board your
vehicle and how efficient the vehicle is.  This is true for any type of
vehicle that carries its own fuel, not just EVs.

Gasoline fuel is measured in gallons.  In an EV powered by lead-acid
batteries, the "fuel" is measured in pounds of lead.  The more gasoline
or lead you have on board, the more range you have.

So why not just add lead until you reach your target range?

First, lead is really heavy.  You need to stay within the safe load
range of your car, or you have lots of problems such as poor handling
and braking, and structural failure.  So a given vehicle can only have
a certain amount of lead on board.

Second, the heavier your vehicle is, the less efficient it is.  You
have to waste power on hauling around the lead, and eventually you
start running into diminishing returns.

Lastly, lead is expensive (and getting more so).  Your motor and
controller need to be more expensive to move the heavier vehicle.
Eventually it's cheaper to use lighter batteries like NiMH or lithiums.

> And the size of the glider means little compared to the weight of the
> batteries.

I think what you're trying to say here is "the weight of the batteries
determines your range".  That's part of the above discussion.

At this point, it would probably help to introduce some numbers.  There
are a couple of popular rules of thumb that have been worked out
empirically over the years.  Here they are.  (I hope I get them right,
please correct me if I'm wrong.)

1) If your vehicle has 30% of its total weight in batteries, it will
have a range of about 60 miles.  (I don't know where this came from.
Bob Brant?)

For example, an Electro Auto Porsche 914 kit.  Let's say the glider
weighs 2700 pounds, a guess based on the stock weight of about 2900
pounds less 200 pounds of motor+etc.  The kit accepts 20 US-145 6v
batteries, which weight 70 pounds apiece for a total of 1400 pounds of
lead, total vehicle weight 4100 pounds.  The batteries take up about
34% of the total weight.  EA claims 80-100 miles, which given my loose
figures is in the ballpark.

2) 600 pounds of lead is equivalent to one gallon of gas in the donor
vehicle.  (I think Bill Dube' came up with this.)

Again taking the 914 as the donor, we'll use 30mpg as the mileage.  So
one gallon of gas takes you 30 miles, or 1200 pounds of lead takes you
60 miles.  Again, reasonably close to 1400 pounds.

A fellow called Jeremy Rutman has studied all the cars on the EV Album
and come up with another rule of thumb.

3) R[miles] = 250 B [kWh] / (W[lbs]^.6)  Or, range in miles is 250
times battery kWh divided by the weight of the car raised to the power
of 0.6.

For our Porsche 914, we get 145 amp-hours times 120 volts to get
29.3kWh.  250 * 29.3 / 4100 ^ 0.6 is 49.8 miles.  In the ballpark
again.

For a much more rigorous treatment of this topic (and many more
besides), see the book "Build Your Own Electric Vehicle", by Bob Brant.

>   If you want to propel less weight around the planet, use NiMH
> batteries instead of lead.

That's one way to look at the problem.  The Tesla is an example of what
happens when you want longer range with an ICE car conversion (in this
case, the Lotus Elise).  They had to use a different battery chemistry
(lithium instead of lead) to reach their range target.

Or you can change the rules of the game :)

The rules of thumb above were derived mostly from conversions - regular
steel-bodied ICE cars converted to EVs.  It's possible to do much
better by designing your own chassis.  Jerry Dycus in Florida is
working on a super-efficient three-wheel fiberglass design he hopes to
bring to market soon, called the Freedom EV.  He expects to get more
than 50% of the vehicle weight in lead, giving a range of more than 60
miles and good performance with inexpensive components.

The Tango is another custom-built (in the Seattle area) lead-acid EV.
Much higher performance, but similarly able to carry a larger
percentage of its weight in batteries, giving more range than you'd
expect from the above rules.

Geez, it's late, gotta go.  No time for fact-checking, I hope the list
catches the worst of the boo-boos. Thanks for reading this far, and
sorry for the long post.

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA