  1) Re: 6 wheels, 8 motors, Zilla 2K, and 880 A123 Cells = 10.9
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) re: my battery fire
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) K&W's for sale
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: Discharged Batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Weird Battery Problem
        by "Fred Hartsell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Where did the RAV4 go?
  7) RE: Weird Battery Problem
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: my battery fire
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Weird Battery Problem
        by "Fred Hartsell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: EVLN(Voltageville vied for Tesla EV plant)
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Weird Battery Problem
 12) Re: Where did the RAV4 go?
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Weird Battery Problem
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Issues with K&W charge
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Data Acquistion Ideas
        by "Mike Harvey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: EVLN(Lotus' 644hp E-SUV, 350mi range, 155mph top speed)
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Reviving flooded batteries
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Should I say "Peak Lithium" ?
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: long thread in may 2006 about why PnG doesn't work for EV's ..
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Reviving flooded batteries
        by "Matt Kenigson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: EVLN(Lotus' 644hp E-SUV, 350mi range, 155mph top speed)
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Discharged Batteries
        by "Darin -a-t- metrompg.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: EVLN($24.4k Nissan Altima Hybrid)-long
        by "Matt Kenigson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: K&W's for sale
        by "Matt Kenigson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: EVLN(Lotus' 644hp E-SUV, 350mi range, 155mph top speed)
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: my battery fire
        by "Matt Kenigson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: EVLN(Lotus' 644hp E-SUV, 350mi range, 155mph top speed)
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Bill,

Our 4 drive tires are 12"OD when inflated. I get the jist of what you are saying but with all due respect doing things our way is what makes the sport worth doing. The fact that there is no ONE best way is what electric racing is all about to me. When nobody could get a rear engine dragster down the track safely they all but one abandon the idea. What do they all drive today? Thanks Mr Garlits. Rest assured our new car "Juiced Up" will have MUCH larger rear tires. But it will also have the world's only quad tandem electric race motor that has never been tested before. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Finding out will be the reward.

Shawn Lawless

PS: It will work won't it Jim H?

From: Fred Hartsell
>I am using 20 Interstate u-2400 batteries... Last positive connection of
the
>pack to chassis ground was 115.7 vdc.

You have a common problem; one that occurs sooner or later for anyone with
flooded batteries. The outside of the battery has a coating of acid mist,
which is making it slightly conductive -- enough so you can get a "tingle"
from it, and enough to read on your high-impedance meter.

Wash the batteries with water and a little baking soda to neutralize the
acid, and it will go away... for a while. As the batteries age, they gas
more, and the problem gets more frequent.

It's also possible, though less likely, that you have a cracked battery case
or a leak around a battery post. If so, the battery case will keep getting
wet again even if you don't charge it to cause any gassing.

When purchasing something on ebay there is always the option of a buy it now
happening.  If the seller has someone willing to meet their asking price why
continue the auction?  It only violates the ebay rules which have no legal
weight.  Lawrence Rhodes......
> Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the RAV4 listing was canceled? I
> was a bidder on it, and I thought it was being listed by a reputable
group.

> Odd
> Chris

> Behalf Of Lee Hart
>
> From: Fred Hartsell
>>I am using 20 Interstate u-2400 batteries... Last positive connection of
> the
>>pack to chassis ground was 115.7 vdc.
>
> You have a common problem; one that occurs sooner or later for anyone with
> flooded batteries. The outside of the battery has a coating of acid mist,
> which is making it slightly conductive -- enough so you can get a "tingle"
> from it, and enough to read on your high-impedance meter.
>
> Wash the batteries with water and a little baking soda to neutralize the
> acid, and it will go away... for a while. As the batteries age, they gas
> more, and the problem gets more frequent.
>
> It's also possible, though less likely, that you have a cracked battery
> case
> or a leak around a battery post. If so, the battery case will keep getting
> wet again even if you don't charge it to cause any gassing.

That's what I was thinking... until I came to the part where he said

"With the battery sitting on the ground beside of the truck, I again measure
the chassis ground and the battery positive lug.  I was still reading about 3.1
vdc."

'splain that!

Fred you don't touch the ends of the test leads with your fingers while taking
measurements do you?  Well, don't, or you may be measuring you instead.
--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Hello Ben,

I visit a battery plant back in 1975, that produce 2 volt cells units that
are then assembly in a battery enclosures.  I was told at that time, that
the most positive and the most negative cell should be the furthest from
each other.

Also it best not to have more than 48 volts between any adjacent cells,
which may cause arc over if you either have the battery under or charging.
The maximum voltage between any two rolls of cells was 30 volts for 6 cells
per roll.

Latter, I was thinking of using 12 volts, but this would be 144 volts
between two of the batteries , so this would not work.  So I settle on 6
volt batteries for a 72 volt difference between two batteries.

Charging volts betweens two batteries is 90 volts, so I took a chance and
install them this way. I made sure, I had a o-ring seal locking cap and
heavy reinforce battery cases.

At 90 volt difference, I have to keep the batteries super clean and setting
in a bed of baking soda to prevent tracking.   So far this works.

The next problem I had, was shrink back with the battery post. After initial
installation of the battery links, it is recommended to torque with a
Inch-Pound torque wrench.  Then drive five miles and re-torque again.  I
found I would lose about 10 percent.  In the next 5 miles, I would lose
about 2 percent and so on.

I notice that every time I torque the battery clamp, the top of the battery
post would pucker out the top of the battery clamp.  So to solve this
problem, I install a stainless steel washer, lock washer and nut on the stud
that was on the top of these post, which I was not using and torque them to
about 100 inch lbs, which put downward pressure on this post, while the
battery clamp put side pressure on the stud.

The battery post no longer reduce in size and for the last year, the torque
value is still way above the standard specs.

It also is recommended to use a all plastic totally enclose exhaust fan to
ventilated the battery boxes, using heavy PVC flexible pipe, that may be up
to 1/4 inch thick walls.   If I charge or I am running my EV, this exhaust
firsts come on for about 20 seconds to purge any fumes that may be present
before any charging or operation of the EV.

Every time that a accident happens in the electrical field, it then shows up
in the NFPA and NEC codes to prevent this action to happen.  It may be
recommended that all on the road EV will will a CO2 fire suppression system.

> yeah, discharging those batteries would have saved me some baking soda.  I
> used about 8 pounds so far (and haven't neutralized the 3rd battery.
> The two melted together batteries were quite easily pried apart with a
> small pry bar.
>
> I did check the liquid levels of the good batteries, and found them all to
> have liquid over top the plates (so that wouldn't have been the issue).
> Distilled water level is on my montly list
>
> Causes: If not the chaffing of insulation, this car, Brian Matheny's
> originally,  had buddy pairs.  The buddy pair stud clamp on the long 2/0
> cable from back to front is simply electrical taped. If that tape came
> undone and that hit the opposing terminal, walla.  spark or heat, take
> your
> pick.
>
> I had all intentions to cut those out and splice the line with the splice
> already purchased.  All the best intentions don't count for anything when
> it's too late.
>
> Thanks for the tech support and safety recomendations. I know I looked
> funny in a full body acid suit, but what the heck. I like my skin on my
> body.
>
> Ben

No, I made sure that I was not touching anything with my human flesh.  I
rechecked this measurement several times with the same results.  I am a
newby in the EV world but I have been around computer and electronics for
about 35 years so I am not new to using a multi-meter.  During that
measurement the battery and the chassis had no physical connection other
than the multi-meter and of course the air.

Thanks, Fred

>>I am using 20 Interstate u-2400 batteries... Last positive connection of
> the
>>pack to chassis ground was 115.7 vdc.
>
> You have a common problem; one that occurs sooner or later for anyone with
> flooded batteries. The outside of the battery has a coating of acid mist,
> which is making it slightly conductive -- enough so you can get a "tingle"
> from it, and enough to read on your high-impedance meter.
>
> Wash the batteries with water and a little baking soda to neutralize the
> acid, and it will go away... for a while. As the batteries age, they gas
> more, and the problem gets more frequent.
>
> It's also possible, though less likely, that you have a cracked battery
> case
> or a leak around a battery post. If so, the battery case will keep getting
> wet again even if you don't charge it to cause any gassing.

That's what I was thinking... until I came to the part where he said

"With the battery sitting on the ground beside of the truck, I again measure
the chassis ground and the battery positive lug.  I was still reading about
3.1 vdc."

'splain that!

Fred you don't touch the ends of the test leads with your fingers while
taking measurements do you?  Well, don't, or you may be measuring you
instead.
--
Stay Charged!
Hump
I-5, Blossvale NY

Maybe Tesla should work a deal out with Daimler/Freightliner in Portland.
Last week Freightliner announced 800 local layoffs and the ending of
Freightliner Truck production in Portland.  An entire assembly line factory
is being shut down and assembly robots and equipment are being sent
elsewhere.

And the ground.

> No, I made sure that I was not touching anything with my human flesh.  I
> rechecked this measurement several times with the same results.  I am a
> newby in the EV world but I have been around computer and electronics for
> about 35 years so I am not new to using a multi-meter.  During that
> measurement the battery and the chassis had no physical connection other
> than the multi-meter and of course the air.
>
> Thanks, Fred

Lawrence,
I don't think there is "always" a Buy It Now option. The seller can choose to include it or not. Or did you mean something else?

Bill Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Zach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tim Humphrey wrote:
... until I came to the part where he said "With the battery sitting on the ground beside of the truck, I again
measure the chassis ground and the battery positive lug. I was still
reading about 3.1 vdc."

'splain that!

I took that to mean a) the battery case was wet/dirty, b) the concrete floor had enough moisture content to be slightly conductive, and c) the car itself was also grounded, either from the charger's ground wire or just moisture and dirt on the tires. The resistance of these wet/dirty connections would be megohms, but the meter is such a high impedance that it could still measure voltage.

Matt Kenigson wrote:
Will it harm the other batteries to run with that 4-volt battery in
the pack?

Get the 4v one out of there. It won't hurt the other batteries, but the bad cell can easily fail in a dramatic fashion, and make a real mess! For example, the high current through it being forced by the otehr batteries in the string can boil the electrolyte, warp the case, cause shorts and intermittents that can ignite hydrogen, and cause all sorts of collateral damage.

--- Begin Message --- Thanks Peter. I f was following that thread over the past few weeks, and it looks very promising for an open source design. I think the Lipo pack we go with will include the BMS which would be integrated into the system-wide data acquisition we're looking for. My inquiry was more aimed at total vehicle performance data, power consumption control and tuning (not exclusively BMS or battmon for the sake of implementing LiPo safely in an EV). Im interested in in what data people are gathering and what value they have gotten out of it.

Regards, Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>