  1) Re: contactor controllers (was RE: EV bashing,  RE: T-105 Sitcker
 Shock)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: contactor controllers (was RE: EV bashing, RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock)
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Warp, ADC, rehash, was Battery amps in Uve's EV Calculator
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Charger tweaks
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Fixing  Mark's S-10 EV
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: [electric_vehicles_for_sale] (fwd) VECTRIX Demo Bike Now Available For
Te...
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Fully sprung 'direct drive' (was: Regenerative suspension)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Fully sprung 'direct drive' (was: Regenerative suspension)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Regenerative suspension
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Fully sprung 'direct drive' (was: Regenerative suspension)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Fully sprung 'direct drive' (was: Regenerative suspension)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) FW: I like this drag bike better than Killacycle
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Commutators, was: Battery amps in Uve's EV Calculator
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Optima batteries
        by "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Fully sprung 'direct drive' (was: Regenerative suspension)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Regenerative suspension
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
From: Jack Murray
>I've been thinking of giving this a try, I got in the new $64 kilovac
>contactor, looks good, at that price you can use three or four of them,
>and use the micro to turn them on/off.  The question is how much noise
>do they make, and how fast will they wear out using them this way?

Contactors built for EV service are usually rated for 100,000 operations at
rated load, and 1,000,000 operations at light load. This is many years of daily
driving.

They typically make a distinct "click" when they pull in, and "clunk" when they
drop out. You'll hear it if they are mounted in the open, or as something that
acts as a sounding board; but they're pretty quiet in an electrical box (and
you shouldn't be leaving them out in the open anyway, due to the shock hazard).

>It will definitely require having a battery balancing charger because
>the lower voltage bats in the pack are going to drain a lot more than
>the higher voltage bats.

Contactor controllers normally wire the batteries in series and parallel
combinations, so you always have all of them carrying an equal part of the
load. This also means *less* battery management is needed (at least with
lead-acid), because when they are in parallel they automatically tend to
equalize the charge between them.

A typical setup might have eight 12v batteries, which can be wired as:

 - 4 groups of 2 in series, for 24v
 - 2 groups of 4 in series, for 48v
 - all eight in series, for 96v

Such a controller would have 5 steps:

1. off
2. 24v with starting resistor in series (to start motor without a jerk)
3. 24v direct to motor
4. 48v to motor
5. 96v to motor

Such a controller has ten SPST contactors (though it is more common to use
three DPDT, and two SPST).

Note that you don't need expensive high-voltage contactors like the Kilovacs.
With the above setup, most of the contactors never see more than 24v, or more
than half the motor current; this allows the use of much cheaper golf cart
contactors.
--
Lee Hart

From: Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: contactor controllers (was RE: EV bashing, RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:05:41 -0800

I've been thinking of giving this a try, I got in the new $64 kilovac contactor, looks good, at that price you can use three or four of them, and use the micro to turn them on/off. The question is how much noise do they make, and how fast will they wear out using them this way? It will definitely require having a battery balancing charger because the lower voltage bats in the pack are going to drain a lot more than the higher voltage bats.
Jack

Actually contactor controllers balance the batteries for you if you put them together properly. For simplicity sake lets say you have 4 12volt batteries in three steps. The lowest speed puts all for batteries in parallel for 12 volts across the motor. The next step gives you two sets of two batteries in parallel for 24 volts across the motor. Your top speed comes when you put all four batteries in series for 48 volts across the motor. In the two steps that have batteries in parallel there is some natural battery balancing going on between the batteries connected in parallel.

damon

Don’t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft® Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0540002499mrt/direct/01/
I didn't mean to sound like I was netgain bashing, I wasn't. In truth, I
think it is just the way the industry has gone. Netgain has those motors
built and they have to work with what is offered.  The only gripe I may
of had was the Hype was more than the reality.

I have been mulling over how to upgrade my EV this summer and had 2
senario's for you Jim, and wanted to get your thoughts. Might as well
ask in the open for all to get the benifit.

Base Vehicle is the 300zx, heavy, poor choice, but I like it and there
are no hills here.
The tranny is sounding rather poor and this may be a source of energy
loss. Geting tires of shifting anyway, I'd like to eliminate the tranny.
As this vehicle is heavy, I think my high amperage starts are wasteing
large amounts on energy fighting the advance of the motor. I would like
to play with an adjustable brush rigging. I think this condition exists
because it certainly has a different curve than before and it comes to
life at about 2000rpm. But this is seat of the pants stuff, so I need
ABR to play with. :-)     (I "need",  ROTFL)

Concept 1
    Get a siamese 9 donateing my existing 9 to the mix. Drop it down in
the tunnel. While this is easiest for me I requires all the contactors
and a good way to move both ABR's hasn't come to me.

Concept 2
    This vehicle has an independent rear suspension. Drop it out and
make a sub mounting plate that contains a gearbox with roller chain or
belt and put these two motors side by side, behind the diffy in,
ironically, the fuel tank area. Now the brush ends are side by side for
easy rigging and the motors are closer to the powered wheels.

    What do ya think? Can wee build a rigging that goes from -90 degrees
(reverse) to +18degrees(full advance)? like a fwd and a reverse position
and then an advance for the 18degrees. Then I only need the S/P contactors.

--- Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lots of people are offering solutions to your complaints,
> but you seem like you are not interested.

1. I am not complaining.  I was stating my observations.
As individual to me and my EV as they may be, I did not
make them up.

2. Other than a suggestions of alternate battery sources
and brands, there have been no other practical solutions
offered.  Because there really aren't any. I didn't expect
a magic answer, I was just trying to sanity check the price.

> What is it that you are after?

Input about battery prices from those that may be better
informed as to why I got the quote that I did.  I don't
buy batteries very often, and don't watch that market.

> Is it simply to say that EVs don't work for you?

It works fine for me.  Never said it didn't.  Wouldn't
it seem kind of odd for me to show up after almost 10
years and 50k miles to say they don't work?

> Are you trying to convice others to avoid EVs?

Nope.  Quite the contrary, I have assisted dozens of others
on construction of their EV's over the years.  Some may
still be on EVDL.

> If you have a specific EV need that you want truly want
> solved, then post your question.

Question was posted, and answered.

I find it curious that my position has been transformed
from stating EV's aren't cost effective to "anti-EV"
and "EV bashing" in the thread's subject line.  Lighten
up folks, I'm not the enemy.  I just reported my observations
and experiences.  Sorry if they're not as upbeat as you'd
like to hear.  If you've got a better way of doing it, let us
know so we can all benefit.  Look at it this way- if you can
convince me, you can convince anyone.

Mark Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV

--- Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> use either a 6V transformer with two separate secondary windings
> or two 6V transformers,

Yeah, I guess as long as you keep it balanced you're OK.  Problem
would be coming up with two identical 30A 6V transformers.  By
the time I go through all that, and incorporate appropriate
control I might as well just replace the whole thing.

> Alternative is to remove wiring at the primary side to
> cranck up the  ratio,

I've also read about dinking with the capacitor but that also
comes with negative side effects.  It's been a wonderfully
reliable system (albiet a bit inefficient), I'd hate to
compromise that.  Thanks for the advice though.

Mark Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV

--- jerryd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Jerry;

> I'd start by replacing the cab, front with an RX-7
> front 1/2, saving about 500lbs, next replace the bed with a
> composite aero one, saving about another 125 lbs.

I agree with your weight estimates, but somehow I don't
think an RX-7 would fit over what's already there.  An
S-10 front clip/cab is a lot taller.  It would be a difficult
retrofit, if even possible.  The idea of an RX-7
pickup conjurs an interesting image, I'll grant you
that.

> Your EV weighs 4600 lb - 1600 lbs batteries weighs
> 3000 lbs.

It did with T-125's.  About 4150 with T105's.  I think
your original weight estimate is closer to being correct.

This might be a grand idea if you're building from the
ground up, but this is a running vehicle.  Seems you'd
be better off scrapping the S-10 and building an RX-7
EV with the parts, no?  I understand where you're coming
from and pretty much agree with your assesments, but
I think it would be a lot more work to retro an RX-7
body onto an S-10 frame then just make a lighter, better
aero EV out of the RX-7 to begin with.

> to be honest, pick ups are not known for safety either.

Lots safer than wood and epoxy trikes, methinks.

Something I should mention is I'm kind of a stickler on
the safety aspect of EV's.  I would probably never do
as you propose, even if it was mechanically possible
because you're severely compromising the crash integrity
of the vehicle.  I suppose a roll cage is an option,
but not terribly practical in a daily driver. I know
you're a big fan of lightweight ultra efficient EV's,
but I don't see them as practical transportation.  The
common sense check I use is, is this vehicle something
I would entrust the lives of my son or daughter to?
It's one thing if you want to assume that risk personally
(as I do riding a motorcycle) but I wouldn't endorse
building ultralights as a transportation solution.  It's
bad enough on the roads as it is, and in a homebrew you
don't stand a chance in the event of even a minor collision.
And, I don't think it does a lot for the image of EV's when
the public sees you riding around in a science project.
Just my opinion though (as if everyone hasn't heard
enough of mine already).

>  As for driving fast, one can drive smart like drive
> 1/2 mile ahead to be in the correct lane, not speeding to a
> red light, less slowing, stopping and still get there as
> fast or even faster on much less energy than many driving
'fast'.

Techniques one learns early on in EV ownership.  I rather
enjoy playing 'tag' with the ICE racers on the commute
to work, watching them as the zip and zag through traffic
so they can beat everyone to the red light, while I plod
along and coast up right back next to them.

Mark Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV

Hi Mike,

No, I haven't yet taken delivery of the bike I've had on order for almost 3
years now.  I've been given a tentative delivery timetable of sometime this
spring and currently have an email into the company seeking an update on
that.  I have seen final production version bikes up close but have only
ridden several of the earlier prototypes a few years ago, which I did take
up to the top speed of 62 mph.  Acceleration was brisk and regen powerful on
those earlier prototype bikes I rode, never once had to use the friction
brakes.  I've heard unofficial range figures of around 50 miles at 45 mph in
extensive range testing in New Bedford on the final production version
bikes, but I'll withhold judgment until I get my own bike and see what kind
of range I actually get out of it, although my range might be greater here
in pancake-flat, warm South Florida than elsewhere.  Build quality of the
pilot production bikes looked good upon cursory inspection, but again I'll
withhold judgment until I get my own.

But I'm certainly not the right person to give a credible, unbiased,
objective opinion because I am an investor in the company.  So I'll leave it
to others to take my bike (whenever I get it) and other Vectrix bikes around
the country for test rides and then report back to the list as they see fit
and call it as they see it, good or bad.  Yet I have always been pretty open
and frank about what I see as some of the bike's shortcomings for the US
market and improvements I'd like to see for this market here (in this
country), as the bike was specifically designed for and is targeted
primarily at the Western European urban commuting market, where speeds are a
good bit lower than here.  Specifically, the 62 mph top speed may work fine
for urban commuting in Western Europe, but I would have liked to see Vectrix
turn the controller up to 75 mph for this market here.  That's one of the
biggest questions I get -- can we hack the controller and turn up the top
speed?  I wish it were that easy, but I for one wouldn't be smart enough to
be able to figure that out, although I wouldn't put it past some people on
this list to be able to manage that.  The bike is sort of
nominally/marginally "freeway capable", but what I tell people here is that
I only consider it "freeway capable" in US metropolitan areas during rush
hour traffic, otherwise I myself won't be taking this bike on the highway at
non-rush hour times and wouldn't consider it safe to do so with that 62 mph
controller-limited top speed.  The company has always said -- well, we don't
want to turn the controller up that high because everyone will be tempted to
drive at that higher speed (or ... people are going to drive it at whatever
the top speed is, no matter how high you set it), which will bring down the
range unacceptably.  My answer is that they shouldn't be making that choice
for the customer but rather should let the driver make that choice.  We
EVers are smart enough to understand the trade-offs, which is something that
I do every day with my RAV4-EV.  When I have to make a 100-mile leg on the
highway between charging stations, I drive at 55mph in order to ensure that
I will make it with enough margin to spare to give me some comfort.  But
there are times, such as when I am merging on the highway, or when others
are doing so into the right-hand lane where I am driving, that I need to
briefly take the car up to 70 or 75 mph for safety reasons.  Then when I've
gotten out of a jam and the coast is clear, I ease it back down to 55mph.
But I know that if I drive the car continuously at 75 mph, my range is going
to be shot and I won't make it to my destination.  Vectrix should let its
customers have the same flexibility and decision-making capability to manage
the speed/range trade-off curve themselves, and especially to have that
extra headroom and margin of safety to take it up to higher speeds when
necessary.  As one sage old EV pioneer here in Florida told me recently, the
company will get the message pretty quickly when their US dealers start
giving them this feedback and telling them this.

The other thing I am disappointed about is the big sticker-shock $11k price,
which caused me to gasp and almost fall out of my chair when I first heard
about it last summer.  But as was explained to me, the price of nickel (the
main element in the NiMH batteries) had tripled over just the previous 9
months prior to setting the MSRP, and there were also sharp increases in a
number of other metals and commodity prices that make up the bike's raw
material inputs, all of which forced a big upward adjustment in the final
MSRP over previous years' estimates.

Other than that, what can I say?, seems like a great bike!  :-)  And indeed,
I am looking forward to getting it soon.  I will report back on my
speed/range experience.  One positive is the 10-year life on the NiMH
batteries, which those of us who already drive NiMH-powered EVs -- ranging
from 5 to 9 year old packs -- are getting pretty comfortable accepting as
well tested.

The first Vectrix dealer in the US to have a demo bike now available for
test rides is BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale, Arizona:

BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale
14870 N. Northsight Blvd., Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

A few of Vectrix's other US dealers are:

Vespa Soho
13 Crosby St.
New York, NY 10013

Vespa Miami
2010 Biscayne Blvd.
Miami, FL 33137

Vespa Ft. Lauderdale
2601 N. Federal Hwy.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33306

Vespa Palm Beach
1609 S. Dixie Hwy.
W. Palm Beach, FL 33401

Bentley, Lamborghini, and Lotus San Francisco
999 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109

Rockridge Two Wheels
5291 College Ave.
Oakland, CA 94618

Vespa Walnut Creek
1813 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596

More dealer announcements will follow in the next few weeks.

US sales and deliveries will start in the second quarter of this year, in
limited quantities.

Vectrix continues to do Ride 'n Drive events around the country, including
one at 2pm tomorrow afternoon, Saturday Feb. 24, in Atlanta at Georgia
Power's headquarters, courtesy of Don Francis, who was kind enough to
arrange it and secure permission on short notice.

Charles Whalen