  1) Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Questions on EV
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Zilla for the newbie?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Zilla for the newbie?
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) ZIF Recommendation
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: [electric_vehicles_for_sale] (fwd) VECTRIX Demo Bike Now Available For
Te...
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Questions on EV
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Zilla for the newbie?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: [electric_vehicles_for_sale] (fwd) VECTRIX Demo Bike Now Available For
Te...
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Please get us some more cars to plug in!
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: All of original Tesla patents
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Wow, What a difference 1 or 2 bad batteries  makes
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Nicad update
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: ZIF Recommendation
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) EV math is not my strong point
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: [EV] Re: Breaker mounting
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Tango lane splitting
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: ZIF Recommendation
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) White Zombie - Electric Muscle Car T-shirts soon available
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Regenerated Power
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: EVLN(TH!NK seeking Euro and U.S. markets)
        by Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: White Zombie - Electric Muscle Car T-shirts soon available
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Zilla for the newbie?
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: GE EV-1 SCR Controller question
I don't think they are the same. A tire on a perfectly smooth road has
deflection energy dissipated. A Suspension would have none. As a road
gets really bumpy the amount of tire deflection may increase but it
increases from that minimum. If I recall the trick to making a low
rolling resistance tire is to use a high thread count of a smaller more
flexible cord. More flexible but able to hold more air pressure.  Keep
it rounder and provide less energy to flex it. This also requires
different rubber compounding.

>      Hi, my name is Jason Franzman, I am a freshman in a Junior
> College and I am looking into a engineering major and will hopefully be
> transfering to UC Berkley.  I am new in to this list and in my
> research.  I am sure before long you will be bored  and annoyed by all
> my questions.  I am extremely interested in converting a car into an EV
> for many reasons.  First and for most, my goal is to save the
> enviroment and to do this effectively I need the car to reach a
> sufficent range of about 150 miles on one charge.  I am looking into an
> AC converting kit on Electro Automotive specifically the porsche 914 AC
> kit.  It costs about 13K not including batteries or the body but it
> will reach about 150 miles on one charge and can go up to 100
> mph.  They advise that I use lead batteries but I am also looking into
> either Lithium Ion but most likely Nickel Metal Hydride.  Also I am
> looking into solar panels which I will fit onto the roof, trunk and
> hood since they are so flat.
>   The car will have a significant down
> time after 60 miles since Berkely is only 60 miles from my house and
> will be able to charge for about 7 or so hours before I return home.  I
> am looking into the hypothetical best car that I can build and then
> from there I will downgrade based on the money.

If you want to have as little impact on the environment as possible,
*don't* commute - move to walking or bicycling distance, rental or
dorms, or use BART, which has a station a block from campus. An e-bike
would fit that lifestyle and be the best place to start your EV work.

Hello Richard,

A Zilla will work very well with your set up no matter how much over voltage
you have which would be up to the Zilla voltage limit. It will solve your
question No. 1. .... to continue below....

From: Bill Dennis

> I'd like to put 21 of my shunt regulators on a single mount so that I
> can easily pull off in toto when I need to tighten the battery
> connectors.  My plan is to run short lengths of wire from each cell
> through a fuse to some sort of connectors, then have mating connectors
> on the regulator mount.  Anyone have a recommendation for a type of ZIF
> (Zero Insertion Force) connector that might work for this?

If it has to be ZIF, the choices are few. You coulduse a 24-pin ZIF connector
for an IC socket, but they aren't built for 3 amps or high voltage. You could
use a ZIF edge connector intended for PC boards; they could handle 3 amps, but
again, the voltage might be a problem.

I think it would be better to choose a standard-insertion-force connector, as
there are hundreds of them. My first though would a a circular plastic
connector (AMP or equivalent) as both male and female pins are relatively well
protected.

> Would two pieces of 1-inch square aluminum work if they were held tightly
> together, or is there a better alternative?

I don't understand what this is for.
--
Lee Hart

I know you've done these calculations in the past, but I still am
blown away by them.

Let's overestimate and say 3,000 lbs for the cars weight.  60 PC680's.
Two packs of 30 for 360 volts.

How much range for all this money?  How much will different motor
sizes affect range?  Which motor for maximum performance(1/4 mile)?
Two motors?  Which size for the two?

Big Zilla2K of course.  After spending $5,000 on a box, I'd really
like to run a lot more voltage.  348 volts seems to me to be holding
back the EV performance world.  360 is doable but likely frowned upon.

I think Bill Dube can get away with running 384 volts because when
charged up, that IS the voltage.  Unlike with 12 V lead acid, if we
had a "384 volt" pack, it would be like 460 volts when fully charged
up would it not?

$5,000 for a motor....  $5,000 for a controller....  $5,000 for 60 batteries...

3 things... no maintenance(?)...  How fast?  How much range?  I want
to be able to cruise this speedy silent machine.  It would be much
more neighborhood friendly having a fast car that was silent.

It's not like we're talking about spending $5, $50, or $500 here...

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/specs.htm

From: damon henry
>The shunt will not get hot at it's rated currents.

Not exactly "hot", but they do run pretty warm at rated current. A 500amp 50mv
shunt is dissipating 25 watts at its full 500 amps. It would get truly hot if
you put it in a closed box.
--
Lee Hart

From: Bruce
>> I wonder if it is really legal for Tangos to drive two abreast?

I got this answer from Rick Woodbury of Commuter Cars Inc.

> According to testimony given at a Senate Transportation Committee
> Hearing in WA state by a captain of the WA State Patrol, it is legal for
> 2 Tango to share a lane, but not overtake in a lane.
>
> In CA all 30 traffic officers who were asked, mostly CHP, unanimously
> stated that they would not ticket Tangos for lane splitting. Lane
> sharing is certainly not a problem.
>
> Rick Woodbury                                     Phone: (509) 624-0762
> President, Commuter Cars Corporation          Toll-free: (800) 468-0944
> Doubling the capacity of freeways                   Fax: (509) 624-1466
> Quadrupling the capacity of parking            Cellular: (509) 979-1815
> Zero to 60 in under 4 seconds
> 715 E. Sprague Ave., Suite 70              Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Spokane, WA 99202                      Web: http://www.commutercars.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thanks, Lee. No, it doesn't have to be ZIF. It just needs to be a type of connector that I can pull 21 of (or 42 of, if you count positive and negative) apart easily at the same time. Because of the shape of the shunt regulators, they cover the battery connection bolts. So I want to mount them in front of each cell in some kind of holders so that I can pop them off when I need to tighten the connections. If possible, I'd like to pull all 21 regulators off at a time instead of having to remove each one individually. For example, if I used fuse clips, I'd run a #12 wire from cell positive to a fuse clip. The positive of the shunt regular would attach to the fuse clip. The negative of the regulator would attach to a second fuse clip, which the had a #12 wire running back to cell negative. Hope that paints a little better picture of what I'm aiming for.

From: Bill Dennis

[...]

I'm sooooo excited that my friend Chip Gribben has designed a new T-shirt for me! For those unaware, Chip is 'the' force behind all of the coolest looking cartoon artwork that has transformed NEDRA the past few years. From the Power of DC, to Battery Beach Burnout, to the Late Night Nationals, they're all Chip's handiwork. After seeing his rendition of White Zombie alongside Gone Postal on the Late Night Nationals design, I just knew I had to have White Zombie T-shirts. Rather than tell everyone how great it looks, simply go to http://www.plasmaboyracing.com, then click on the 'Photos' button. Tomorrow, I'll be at a local T-shirt printer to have the first dozen shirts made up, so the Plasma Boy team can wear them at this weekend's 'Portland Roadster Show.

Make sure to post back to the EVDL and let Chip know what you all think! When available for sale, all profits will go to Chip to help cover his art supply costs. Chip has never asked for anything in return for all his efforts, I just think we need to support this great EVer.

See Ya......John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

I've only worked on AC systems (actually BLDC, but they are
practially an AC system), and NiCd batteries - which can take
some fast regen for a while. Regen current would often
be as high as motoring current - around 200A at the motor,
which was its current limit. Battery current would
simply be a ratio of motor power - ie. if the motor was
braking at 30kW, you'd get about 29kW into the battery and
about 1kW of heat in the controller and motor windings. Take
that and divide by pack voltage to get pack current (for example,
30,000 watts / 150 volts (battery pack voltage) = 150 amperes.
That may actually be from a motor voltage of 120 volts and a
motor current of 250 amperes - the contoller steps the voltage up
and the current down.

To put this another way - if you take 12 seconds for a 0-60
run with a given motor, if you want to decelerate from 60-0
using regeneration in the same time, you need pretty much the
same power capability in the generator. It is convenient for
an AC system since an appropriately sized generator is already
there.

An AC induction motor is simple - just command a lower
motor speed than it's spinning at and the power magically comes
out of the DC wires to the battery. BLDC will basically retard
the timing of the commutation to create a -90 degree (instead of
+90 degree) timing. That's easy. Just flip the direction input.
Well, it's not quite that easy - but almost.

Battery charging at that rate may not be that efficient but
in normal city driving, if your batteries will accept that
charge rate, you can get a 10 to 30% range extension.
Victor's metricmind site has some good graphs showing
a data log from his AC inverter and the amount of regen
he shows is what I've seen too.

-Dale

Jan-Olaf Willums, chairman of Norway's TH!NK Electric
Car Co., is betting he will find a market in Europe
and the United States for his two-seater "city" car.
The company previously had ties to Ford Motor Co.

The company raised $25 million in February and aims to
double the funding amount by May, he said. It expects
to begin production in Norway in September, with
marketing focused first in Europe and then the United
States.

There needs to be an all out effort to remove NHTSA
regulatory barriers to overseas made EV entry into the
U.S. This may be an appropriate priority for the EAA
and partner NPOs/NGOs.

Never miss an email again!

Most excellent.  Looks like Chip could get a small business going here, if he
doesn't already have one.

Well John, ....tell us where we'll be able to buy one.....
we'll need something motivational to wear working on the Pinto project.  I
can't afford to get all my work shirts dirty ;-)
(check your off-list mail from me :-)

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

The Zilla will scale back the output and eventually shut down. You can call
this protecting itself, but if you run air cooled and
it happens to run in limiting a lot of the time it is still hard on the
electronics.  For longevity sake I think Otmar would
recommend running some water cooling. It doesn't take very much.  A small pump
and a small water reseviour will do nicely to
absord the temerature spikes caused by transients of high current.

Steve Powers wrote:

>   I don't think this is the issue.
>  It could be, but not in this case.

Interesting as they are, I'm not sure I see how any of the scenarios you
describe could explain the behaviour he was experiencing.  If the potbox
were at fault, there would be no reason for it to work when the
controller is fed 48V but not when fed 96V; if the controller were wet,
it is unlikely that it would work normally on 48V, and for a few minutes
at 96V, but then act up on 96V.

The 96V/48V setup sounds like that of the Bradley GT conversions.

The controller apparently operates fine on 48V in, but not on 96V.  This
tends to suggest that the pack may be having difficulty supplying the
peak currents that the EV-1 subjects it to.  In 96V mode, there would
likely be a single series string; in 48V mode the current is divided
between two parallel strings, so the cells have an easier job keeping up
with the demands.

If his controller is seeing the full 96V input, then it is likely to be
an 84-144V input model and will operate normally until the input voltage
falls below 42V.

It might be possible for him to be using a 48V input controller across
only the top half of the pack in 96V mode, and if this is the case, then
the reported behaviour might indicate that the portion of the pack that
is feeding the controller in this mode is having trouble keeping up, and
is dropping below the 24V threshold below which proper operation of the
EV-1 is not guaranteed.

I would certainly start by monitoring the battery voltage at the input
to the controller to see if it is unexpectedly high or low (less than
1/2 of the lower voltage rating of the controller) when the odd
behaviour occurs.