        by "Bruce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Largest Capacity NiMH Cells?
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) 620 Datsun Truck EV candidate.
  4) Re: Nicad update
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Electric Bike as Cordless Tool
        by "martin emde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) newbie - dc motor speed/hp/current/volts characteristics for racing!
        by "Scott Littledike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: newbie - dc motor speed/hp/current/volts characteristics for racing!
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EV's, Ewoody and safety,
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: newbie - dc motor speed/hp/current/volts characteristics for racing!
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Various Controller Thoughts (was RE: Contactor controller control?)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: A few new KillaCycle photos (battery assembly)
        by "BadFishRacing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Compressed air as battery?
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Delta-Q charger
        by Storm Connors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Zilla for the newbie
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: EVLN(Pickup line: 'Come ride in my new electric car!')
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: A few new KillaCycle photos (battery assembly)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Delta-Q charger
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: newbie - dc motor speed/hp/current/volts characteristics for racing!
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) u tube porsche video burn out
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: EVLN(Pickup line: 'Come ride in my new electric car!')
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: EVLN(Pickup line: 'Come ride in my new electric car!')
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Nicad mixing
        by Tom Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Compressed air as battery?
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Compressed air as battery?
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Compressed air as battery?
What are the largest advertised capacity, non PowerStream NiMH cells that
anyone has seen?

These claim 14AH but aren't there bigger cells than these available?

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=834

        Bruce

How about 100Ah:

http://www.chunlan.com/en/2product/6battery_2parameter.htm

Although in truth, Chunlan might be PowerStream's supplier. And they're definitely not cheap, I got quoted US$153ea for QNFG80s (in quantity), which works out at $1.60 per Wh (over twice as much as those F cells in your link - ridiculous!)

NiMH is dead, go for Lithium. :)

-Ian

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/286673719.html

On 1 Mar 2007 at 16:27, Rod Hower wrote:

> I drove 30,000 miles
> in TEVans and always seen this knee.

Saft mentions in their docs for the MR / MRE batteries that this voltage
spike is not as prominent in those batteries.  That's why they recommend amp
hour monitoring for them.

There are some indications that the older style Saft STM modules, with
individal cell caps instead of the closed top, are easier to charge and more
durable than the MR / MREs.  But those are very hard to find, and you can
(for now) still get the MR / MREs from Saft.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Mick says: Impressive bike, Martin, but how do you get any exercise with
it?
Do you actually want it to go EVen faster? I think the DeWalt pack is
rated
only 2.3 amp-hours. 2.3 X 10 cells X 3.6 volts = 83 watt-hours. V28 packs
are 3 amp hours X 7 cells X 3.6 volts = 76 watt-hours, so watt-hours per
pack is similar.

Mick says: An upgrade to 36 volts would make the controller draw energy
more
quickly from the pack, but that raises survivability questions for the
Scott
24 volt motor. I think you should stay 24 volts but that's mere
speculation
from a guy who feels that 35 mph is already fast enough for a bicycle. Top
speed would increase anyway just by getting the lead out.

The only exercise I get is from pushing the 105 lb beast up a hill when I
venture out too far.  Unfortunately my drive train design did not
accommodate pedals.  I ride my other bike for exercise.  I'm really looking
for more range than anything else.  So your right, I don't need the 36V
pack.  My controller can handle the 36V and I think the motor would also
perform well even though it is rated at 24V.  I have not tested this yet.
I'm not sure the standard bicycle chain would appreciate the 36 volts.

Damon Henry said: "If you are dealing with any kind of smart charger, no you
can not leave things in parallel as you will most likely confuse the
smarts."

[Mick says:] I agree with Damon. On the V28 system there's a third
connection from battery to pack which I suspect is doing more than just
sensing the battery temperature. I think there's a two way conversation
going on which could be adversely affected by placing one charger parallel
across more than one battery pack.

This too is my intuition--I'm just waiting to hear from someone who has
actually tried charging these "smart" packs in parallel with a single
"smart" charger.  Being able to easily plug them in and out of the bike and
then charging them separately is always an option at the expense of
convenience.

Mick says: Tony Hwang's thought about "two chargers in parallel to charge
two batteries in parallel" shows good outside the box thinking but a
similarly high chance of messing up the "conversation". I don't want to
try
to outsmart these already smart battery solutions. As my father used to
say,
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

Damon Henry said: "since one of these packs can supply enough current for
an
ebike, there really is no reason to wire them in parallel.  A system that
easily lets you switch from a dying battery to a fresh one achieves the
same
result."

[Mick says:] I think the result would not be identical, because EVen
lithium batteries must have a Peukert's exponent higher than 1. Putting
two
packs in parallel should more than double the range obtainable from one.
Experienced EV List members are invited to chime in. I thought about
rigging
up for just a single battery in the box, then carrying a couple of spares
in
the panniers. That's still tempting as I could jettison the Schottky
diodes
with their attendant energy loss. However, I do note a significant voltage
suppression when running the bike on just one pack and I think parallel
packs would help that. Also, the battery packs should stay cooler if they
are sharing the load.

I'm not sure that the one-pack-at-a-time approach will work in my case as my
main commute consists of an average grade between 4 to 5% over 7 miles.
Sharing the current  across a number of packs seems more efficient.  The
single pack approach seems more reasonable for a more level terrain.

[Mick says:] Martin: I think you should consider about 6 of the V28 packs in
parallel with diodes and a precharge resistor setup, along with a couple
of
V28/V18 battery chargers. That gets you 18 amp hours @ 25.2 volts for
about
15 pounds. It also could allow dangerously high amperage surges so make
sure
you've got appropriate safety measures in place. If you could give up some
range in exchange for lighter weight, you might EVen start with 4 packs in
parallel. More could be added later.

The specs on my AGM's (sears wheel chair battery) call out 32Ahr yet the C
rate is not specified.  My guess is it's the typical 20C and that the 32Ahr
is a lot less for the way I'm discharging them.  Any one know what the
typical derating would be from 20C to 1C for an AGM?   What's the discharge
rate for the 18Ahr Milwaukee battery spec?  I'd like to run some
calculations to compare the range with my existing setup (54 lbs of lead
acid) with the 15 pounds of lithium.  The 40 lbs of weight savings could
offset the decrease in energy (768Whr vs. 504Whr) especially considering my
hilly commute.  I'll take a look at the eMoli site in the mean time.

Martin

For those who are interested, the Milwaukee battery packs are equipped with
cells made by a Canadian company called eMoli. That can be googled out if
you want to find the mfr's website. The powerful warranty shows a lot of
confidence that these companies have in their bundled solution.

Mick Abraham
www.abrahamsolar.com

Hi there,

I am trying to design a high speed electric motorcycle (100mph+) with a 1 - 2 mile range, for several reasons - personal learning and interest, to generate more interest of EV's here in the UK, and for possible competition use later on. Im a student, and will have to build the vehicle on a budget.. im looking at the SVR agm lead acid batteries, probably 120v to start with. I have been trying to predict my bikes performance, but i am struggling to understand basic motor theory, how DC motors deliver power across their speed range, how i should gear the motor etc, i was hoping some of you could help! For example, lets say i use a single ADC L91. Lets presume (for simplicity) that my batterys have 800A current limited by the controller (from my understanding, controllers vary the current but not voltage). I understand that motors deliver peak hp at 0rpm? So the motor will produce peak hp at 0rpm, with maximum current draw.. will the hp (& therefore current draw) then reduce as motor speed increases? looking at the graph for the L91, it looks like by 5000rpm, the hp is about 1/3 of the peak? surely though, at 5000rpm you would be at near max speed, where you want hp most.. so why no need for a transmission? How do you get more hp at high rpm.. if all the power is at low motor speed, why does everyone gear their motors to 6000rpm rather than 1000rpm.. im pretty confused!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks

Scott

Solve the Conspiracy and win fantastic prizes! http://www.theconspiracygame.co.uk/
On 3/2/07, Scott Littledike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi there,

I am trying to design a high speed electric motorcycle (100mph+) with a 1 -
2 mile range, for several reasons - personal learning and interest, to
generate more interest of EV's here in the UK, and for possible competition
use later on.

Welcome, sounds good.

Im a student, and will have to build the vehicle on a budget.. im looking at
the SVR agm lead acid batteries, probably 120v to start with.
I have been trying to predict my bikes performance, but i am struggling to
understand basic motor theory, how DC motors deliver power across their
speed range, how i should gear the motor etc, i was hoping some of you could
help!

You may want to start with the electrical engineering section of your
school's library, and read the archives of this list for a while.

For example, lets say i use a single ADC L91. Lets presume (for simplicity)
that my batterys have 800A current limited by the controller (from my
understanding, controllers vary the current but not voltage). I understand
that motors deliver peak hp at 0rpm?

No, power is torque multiplied by speed (or voltage multiplied by
current).  Current is related to torque and voltage to speed.  Series
wound DC Motors naturally produce a high torque at 0 RPM (and low
speeds).    So from standstill, the voltage at the motor will be low
(a few volts), and the current high (as high as the controller limit
allows) - this is a small amount of power.  Since the voltage at the
battery will be in the 120V area, the current drawn from it will be
small at this stage (i.e. matching the power delivered to the motor,
plus losses).

So the motor will produce peak hp at 0rpm, with maximum current draw.. will
the hp (& therefore current draw) then reduce as motor speed increases?

No, see above.

where you want hp most.. so why no need for a transmission? How do you get
more hp at high rpm..

Provide more voltage.