  1) Re: My next EV project, or Paul goes Datsun
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Simple electronics component question
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Phoenix EAA EV EXPO 2007
        by DM3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: wheel hub motor
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: wheel hub motor
  6) RE: [Evtech] SCR's last orders
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: PIC help
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: electric power newbie
        by "garyH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Processor Lockup Failsafe
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Simple electronics component question
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: wheel hub motor
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Motor mods
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Prius OEM Tires
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Mick's answer to Lee Hart about BattEQ test
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Mar 5, 2007, at 8:46 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Sorry for the dumb question. I'm new here. I wasn't aware the Prius used
special tires.  How do they differ from tires on other cars?

Different passenger car tires have different rolling resistance, even in the same size. Many new cars are equipped with tires designed for reduced rolling resistance from the factory as part of their effort to improve the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE.) Auto makers have to meet overall mileage targets or pay fines, this gives them the incentive to find creative ways to boost fuel mileage, even if only a little. Of course, the Prius sells on fuel mileage so Toyota chooses the tire extra carefully. They have used low rolling resistance (LLR) tires made by various manufactures (and available as replacements.) I will point out that the Prius specific Potenza is only a 30,000 mile tire (though mine lasted 40,000 miles with 3/32 tread left on my 2002 Prius.)

Its worth noting that LLR tires can be more important on an electric vehicle than most ICE vehicles. Generally, the gas engine is slightly more efficient at power levels above what is required to go freeway speeds. So the effect of lowering power requirements is partly countered by a reduction in engine efficiency. Since most electric cars have a wide range near peak motor efficiency the full effect of reduced drag is seen in power consumption (range.)

Paul "neon" G.

I read an article about a simple circuit to drive LEDs and am thinking of using
it for some
running lights in my car. The circuit specifies LM317L as a constant current
source. Perfect
project for my skill level. But I kept running into LM317T modules. Is there a
difference between
an LM317L and an LM317T?

Thanks

Dave Cover

Just an FYI,
The Phoenix EAA will have a display set up at one of the local Auto swap
meets to show our EVs and supply info to the general public.  It will be
at Glendale Community College and in conjunction with a popular auto swap
meet.  We hope this will attract people that would not normally be exposed
to our cause and give them an opportunity see and discuss Electric
Vehicles.  It will be held on March 17 and 18 and we will have several EVs
on display - see attached link to the flyer we are circulating.  Everyone
is welcome!

http://www.phoenixeaa.com/documents/ev_expo_07.pdf

We hope for it to be successful and the first of an annual EVent.

Thanks,
Mario

At 03:18 PM 5/03/07 -0800, Karsten wrote:
Hello my name is Karsten and I am researching building my first electric vehicle. I am interested in using an electric in wheel motor. I wanted to build an offroad (but street legal) vehicle to start with, because I know my range and speed will be limited by my budget. I was thinking of taking an old ford bronco rolling chassis and converting it to electric. The ford Bronco with a fiberglass body is a pretty light vehicle if I could take out the transfer case, transmission, etc... Having 4 independent electric motors as wheels would be incredible for 4wdriving. Are there any other manufacturers for in wheel electric motors? Are there any other options that I can convert to make an electric wheel? Any info regarding electric motors in wheels would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

G'day Karsten

Unfortunately wheel motors for full-size vehicles seem to only be available at a sort-of-experimental stage and about $20k each, $80k for 4WD.

Anything you could convert to be a psudo-hub motor will be heavy (forklift wheel-motors, etc) making your unsprung mass horrible, and front-wheel mounting probably impossible.

Sorry, but "on a budget" means you are keeping the diffs at least. Have you looked for ideas at 1) ProEV where they have done an imprezza conversion with AC drive systems and just the diffs (no gearbox/es) and 2) IIRC it was Wilde EVolutions who fid a landrover conversion.

If you are seriously on a buget, then a small 2WD sedan/wagon/pickup is probably cheapest. Someone elses' conversion that needs batteries can be picked up in many areas of the USA for less than the price of the components, if you are prepared to wait and search. A big old electric forklift can be a cheap source for a motor and contactors, possibly a controller for a low-voltage conversion.

Hope this helps

Regards

[Technik] James

Are there any other manufacturers than who?  For the hub motor that is.

The only one I'm aware of for full size EVs is the NGM motor and they co$t
big buck$ for each one.  They aren't all that powerful, relatively low
torque.
Using four of them is definitely NOT a budget conversion.  In fact the
cost of just one is about twice what most people spend on their entire
conversion.
Well, there was the company that made the motors they used in the hybrid
Humvee, but they cost even more than the NGM motors, and I've never seen
they advertised as available.

Also, have you actually weighed a bronco with a fiberglass body?  Unless
you custom build the body by hand, I don't think you're going to save more
than one or two hundred pounds at most.
Plus they are expensive, even if you build them yourself.

Doesn't sound like much of a budget vehicle.

You might want to rethink the basic concept.  If you want to build an off
road EV, great.  But if you want to do it on a budget, I'd consider
converting a quad ATV.

> Hello my name is Karsten and I am researching building my first
> electric vehicle. I am interested in using an electric in wheel motor.
> I wanted to build an offroad (but street legal) vehicle to start with,
> because I know my range and speed will be limited by my budget. I was
> thinking of taking an old ford bronco rolling chassis and converting it
> to electric. The ford Bronco with a fiberglass body is a pretty light
> vehicle if I could take out the transfer case, transmission, etc...
> Having 4 independent electric motors as wheels would be incredible for
> 4wdriving. Are there any other manufacturers for in wheel electric
> motors? Are there any other options that I can convert to make an
> electric wheel? Any info regarding electric motors in wheels would be
> greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Chris,

<Space> is an illegal character in an email address. I guess it is an
underscore "_"?

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb