  3) Re: Li-Ion This and Li-Ion THAT
        by Tom Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Converting a mini classic
        by Tom Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Converting a mini classic
        by Tom Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: ev 8  seater apv
  7) Re: ev 8  seater apv
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Motor temp
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: May C&D Article on White Zombie
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: ADC v.s. ImPulse9
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Converting a REAL Mini.
        by "paul compton \(RRes-Roth\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: May C&D Article on White Zombie
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: May C&D Article on White Zombie
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: ev 8  seater apv
        by DAVID BARWICK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: May C&D Article on White Zombie
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: ev 8  seater apv
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Magazine articles an' Stuff  WAS  gensets was charging while driving
question(Old one)
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: ev 8 seater apv
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Quick PFC20 question
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: May C&D Article on White Zombie/Tattoo
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Car & Driver
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) EV Club Starting In Reno Nevada
        by William Brinsmead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Minivan conversion was -- Re: ev 8 seater apv
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Jerry

  Thank you for your reply i will follow your advise The reasons given for not
converting where front wheel drive and auto box plus weight of battery's the
gvwr is 2163 kg  battery's  approx 700 kg would leave quite a lot o leeway  i
would appreciate your comments

  Regards Dave

jerryd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi David and All,

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 02:45:24 PDT
Sender:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List - ev@listproc.sjsu.edu" <>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: EV digest 6611

----

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 06:52 -0700, Bill Dube wrote:

>          You'll have to wait for the EV version if you want external
> signals for over, and under voltage.
>
>           If you were to disconnect the battery in a
> car with a bad alternator on, say, railroad tracks, you would save
> the battery, but kill the occupants of the car.

That makes a lot of sense. I was thinking that lithium over
charge/discharge will lead to a fire. With these A123 cells it just
means damage to the cells?

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 05:51 -0800, Jack Murray wrote:
> I would suggest you check into using an IRS differential instead of the
> transmission, place the motor either directly to the diff input and
> point it up (hey if it sticks up a bit out of the hood consider this the
> equivalent of an ICE hood scoop :)  or if there is room to place it
> lengthwise do that with it on top and a chain/belt drive to the diff input.

I'm planning to do basically this, but use a modified mini transaxle.
I'll take the gears out, make a custom mainshaft and use the standard
final drive gears and an aftermarket differential. Hopefully what I save
in using the original driveshafts and speedometer connection will mostly
pay for the mainshaft and differential.

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 07:11 -0800, Cor van de Water wrote:
> This looks exactly like the UPG battery that I have in my truck.

Is it also made in china, perhaps by Sunnyway or one of their relations?

> When ordering an EV-sized amount (or for several EVs) it may be
> worthwhile to contact the manufacturer and see if there is a
> dealer in your area, if not - become a dealer and order direct.
> UPG ships without cost for orders over $1500 in USA, not sure
> where you are located.

I'm in New Zealand. This Ross guy says he's dealing with the chinese
manufacturer directly.

Umm, GVWR is the maximum TOTAL weight of the vehicle, this INCLUDES the
weight of the vehicle itself.

Since the vehicle weighs approx 1675 kg, that means you only have 488 kg
left.  8 passengers alone might exceed that weight.

It's not impossible to convert, but definitely sounds impractical.

Then again, it's going to be fairly tough to convert anything short of a
small bus to carry 8 passengers.
Is the 8 pass are definite requirement?  What kind of range are yo looking
for?

> Hi David
>
>   Thank you for your reply after looking every where for the GVWR I  found
> it on the drivers door which is 2163 kg  would this indicate that i
> could load 700kg of battery's and still have 1463 kg  of passengers and
> if the weight of the 3.1  v6 engine  and auto box  was taken into
> consideration would that increase The vechile has a compressor which
> keeps the rear suspension level regardless of load I told being a front
> wheel drive would cause further problems how would you overcome that
>
>   Regards Dave
>
> "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   On 29 Mar 2007 at 16:40, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
>
>> A Ford Tarus Wagon with a bench seat in the front will hold 8.
>
> A Taurus wagon (1996 - 2004) has a curb weight of 3410-3480lb. A 1990-96
> Lumina weighs 3686lb. So yes there is a small but significant weight
> saving
> there. But it might be easier to cram batteries into the Lumina, leading
> overall more range and greater practicality. I don't think a Lumina is an
> impossible conversion at all. I don't think it's any worse in the weight
> department than a recent Ranger or S10 pickup.
>
> I'd say an ADC 9" would work fine, though I'd want to fit a stick shift if
> possible. A Curtis would get it moving, though not too fast. ;-)
>
> Batteries. Hmm. What worries me is that I don't see a GVWR or payload
> rating online anywhere for the Lumina. I'd want to fit 120-144v worth of
> golf
> car batteries. With that you'd already have a 3/4T (700kg) load before you
> add passengers. Would it be safe?

Copy and paste the following links for some EV
information.

www.metricmind.com- AC motor distributor with lots of
other content including a Front Wheel drive CRX

www.electroauto.com- Distributor for Solectra AC
drives.

www.evalbum.com- for Front wheel drive examples.

The reason for possibly going AC would be Drive line
simplification. The AC has enough torque and RPM to
run direct drive without transmission. They due
require a differential however but both these
distributors have them to go with the motors.
Unfortunately it becomes a little more expensive to go
AC motor. But Simplification tends to do that. As they
have done all the research and set up for you in the
first place.

I do not recall your Speed and distance requirements,
however with your 8 passenger requirement I feel the
AC may be your best bet. POP out the ICE pop in the AC
motor have a couple CV axles modified to the
differential, hook up the bateries and off you go a
new EV grin smiling.

I do not have an EV yet. Financial held back. But I
have been reading this list for over 5 years now. And
feel anything can be an EV. It is a matter of desire
and what you like. There are many nay sayers on the
list. But that does not mean it cannot be done.

--- DAVID BARWICK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi David
>
>   Thank you for your reply after looking every where
> for the GVWR I  found it on the drivers door which
> is 2163 kg  would this indicate that i could load
> 700kg of battery's and still have 1463 kg  of
> passengers and if the weight of the 3.1  v6 engine
> and auto box  was taken into consideration would
> that increase The vechile has a compressor which
> keeps the rear suspension level regardless of load I
> told being a front wheel drive would cause further
> problems how would you overcome that
>
>   Regards Dave
>
> "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>   On 29 Mar 2007 at 16:40, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
>
> > A Ford Tarus Wagon with a bench seat in the front
> will hold 8.
>
> A Taurus wagon (1996 - 2004) has a curb weight of
> 3410-3480lb. A 1990-96
> Lumina weighs 3686lb. So yes there is a small but
> significant weight saving
> there. But it might be easier to cram batteries into
> the Lumina, leading to
> overall more range and greater practicality. I don't
> think a Lumina is an
> impossible conversion at all. I don't think it's any
> worse in the weight
> department than a recent Ranger or S10 pickup.
>
> I'd say an ADC 9" would work fine, though I'd want
> to fit a stick shift if
> possible. A Curtis would get it moving, though not
> too fast. ;-)
>
> Batteries. Hmm. What worries me is that I don't see
> a GVWR or payload
> rating online anywhere for the Lumina. I'd want to
> fit 120-144v worth of golf
> car batteries. With that you'd already have a 3/4T
> (700kg) load before you
> add passengers. Would it be safe?

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

Hey James

ADC just tapes it against the side of a coil.  Unless
you've got a field burning MKZ type motor the coils
really aren't a good  place to put them.  Being most
people don't even use them I've been yanking them out
and sealing the hole that the wires come out of.

The brushes / holders are gonna be the hot area
(although I'll be watching for your updates on what
they find) so this would be my area to connect to.
The two Green meanie motors that Shawn listed on Ebay
had the temp sensors attached to the holders for a
faster relay of heat being generated vs.the OEM coil
mounted area.

Now I don't like "brush mounted" anything!  First off
it can impeded the brush tention and flow through the
holder if the wires are thick, or snag, ect.  There is
also he danger of melting the insulation from it do to
overheating and has the ability to short out especialy
if they are on two opposite holders.  Another bummer
area of this type of mounting is when the brushes wear
out you have to redo it to the replacement set.

Even in the lift world they used to drill out the
brush and insert a wire into it at a determined
length.  When the brush wore down it would rub off the
wires insulation when it contacts the comm and light a
brushwear light.  They no longer do it that way and
instead use an insulated tab that the spring contacts
when the brushes wear down.  I guess in general I
don't like anything that can carry juice to come out
of the motor.

As far as how to attach a temp sensor to a holder
(where I think it'd be best to place one) it depends
on each motor type, there will not be a one answer
solve all on this.  Silver soldering a tang that you
could mount to is my best guess solve all.  In reusing
an OEM ADC type silver soldering a piece of copper
refigerator tube to it and then cementing it into it
would be a good option as well.  It's another Devil's
in the details kind of thing.

At least you have a some new goodies to play with on
the motor now 8^)

Anyway that's my take on this.
Hope it helps
Cya

--- James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> (high/low) fully series motor that only goes one
> way. By the time I am done
> with it I intend it to be reversing with the fields
> able to be operated
> series or divided for high/low with low being the
> old high connections.
>
> I'll be prepping the motor over the next week or so,
> and installing
> somewhere around 12 (or more) thermocouples in
> various locations so they
> can map temperature rise in various locations, and
> asses the positions for
> optimal positioning to protect the motor. They will
> be looking at motor
> efficiency as well as air blowing rates and a bunch
> of other "academic"
> parameters. They even intend looking at inbound air
> temp vs outbound air
> temp against volume to calculate the energy increase
> from the waste heat of
> the motor (not sure how they intend to accurately
> measure the air
> mass-flow, though!). They plan on Dyno testing the
> motor so that they can
> pick an optimal propellor for it.
>
> I'll be supplying them with a GE SCR controller that
> they will be able to
> play with smoothing the battery current, and
> probably loaning them a Curtis
> to compare later once they have a dataset of
> performance for the SCR
> controller.
>
> The motor has a female spline, I know that it is a
> problem and there are
> various means to do the job, but I took the
> difficult  :^)  decision of
> handing them the spline stub and saying "there is
> your spline, adapt that".
> They are intending to drive straight off the end of
> the motor with a box to
> duct out the cooling air, so they can put a carrier
> bearing on the other
> side of the box, before the propellor shaft adaptor.
>
> The thermocouple positions will probably be:
> 1,2) Isolated in two 90 degrees apart brush holders,
> or if I can do it with
> good electrical isolation with good thermal bond in
> the brushes themselves.
> 3,4,5,6,7) in a group around the end of one field 3)
> againt the field pole,
> 4) against the body tube, 5) under the wrap on the
> face closest to the
> brush, 6) under the wrap on the face closest the
> rotor and 7) central to
> the winding.
> 8,9,10,11,12) half-way down the field in the same
> configuration.
>
> I am thinking of putting four in the airflow one
> between each field so to
> see how the air temperatures vary around the motor
> (to compare airflow
> effectiveness of one blower port vs two or more).
> Another may go into a
> pole shoe.
>
> Does anyone know where a typical ADC etc thermal
> switch is positioned? If
> it is somewhere other than one of the locations

This is such a fantastic article!  I have been passing copies around to
friends.  Just awesome.
Ok, one question; whose Sparrow is that on page 123?

And one suggestion for Roderick Wilde; make up some fake tattoos of the Suck
Amps logo and sell them on EV Parts and at EV events.  I think that would be a
great hit for those who want to look tough, dedicated and in style at EV
events, car shows, etc.

AOL at AOL.com.

Hey all

I've yet to see an Impulse9 and is the reason I didn't
chime in on this thread.  Sorry but I have no imput
yet 8^(

Just wanted to say I wasn't ignoring this topic.

Cya

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have both of these motors in me shop ,,,Toqure per
> amp ( no volt :-)  they both look close , the Implus
> is about 20 lbs heaver  but has the bigger brushes
> by about %20 , like the 9 " the com is bigger round
> ...  amybody running two impluse 9's   might this be
> the new ticket , not to big not to small ?
> steve clunn .
> >
> > From: "Roger Daisley @ R J Ranch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: 2007/03/28 Wed PM 07:12:42 EDT
> > To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
> > Subject: ADC v.s. ImPulse9
> >
> > Any comments on the Advanced D.C. 8" motor
> (#203-06-4001) vs.. the ImPulse 9
> > motor?

My first bit of advice for anyone contemplating converting a Mini is
DON'T!

If you really want to then you've made quite a lot of work for yourself.
There's almost no room for batteries and the transmission is a nightmare
as you've already realised. I did it for Richard Bebbington's Mini
Pickup, which at least has room for batteries. Take a look at;
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/electric.mini/motor/motor_and_box.html for
some idea of how I did it. I suspect you'd have a hard time finding an
auto box.

Possibly a better solution would be a RWD conversion. In the UK I'd just
use the rear axle from a Reliant 3 or 4 wheeler of some kind
(Regal/Robin/Rialto or Rebel/Kitten/Fox) which has the same stud pattern
and the same drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders. Someone has actually
done this I think. This would put the motor under the rear seat and
actually give you some room for batteries up front. The axle is derived
from that of the Austin 7 of the 1920's and I think the differentials
will fit and went up to 7:1 in some applications.

There are other RWD possibilities, some of them available as conversion
kits for mounting a Motorcycle engine in the back;
http://www.zcars.org.uk/index.htm is just one.

Paul Compton

--- John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey Jim, maybe it's time to get a new monitor? That
> indeed, is Tim Brehm
> 'Mr. Focused' in the opening burnout photo! I agree
> with Neon, when Tim
> gets in the car he's all business. That photo was
> from the two first
> runs of the night where Tim warmed the car up for
> Ted

Hey John

Thanks for the heads up, don't remember Tim running
except for the last run on the second night.  Being a
daylight pic and to me not looking like Tim at all
(yes I know Tim)(I sat next to him for 6 days and 4000
miles in my truck) then again I've not really seen Tim
in a helmet.

Anyway when I went to my sisters last night and was
showing them the article I went "Doh" when I saw Teds
Hawain shirt and glasses, LMAO.  My sisters 4 year old
was playing on thier computer and I had to wait till
he finished before I could connect and get a hasty
post self correcting my posts before I got spanked
from Australia to Alaska 8^P

--Mike Willmon wrote:
Hey at least you got off without even a lite spankin'
for that one,
nothin' like being spooled though.
eh?
;-P
Actually I'd love to say I was just testing you guys!

You know my wife tells me all the time I could use a
good ass kicking EVery now and then!  FWIW I hope you
all don't think I'm above a good spanking so let em
rip if you see me stuffing my face full of foot 8^)
It's not often I screw up but when I do it's full hilt
BTW you know eating Crow isn't all that bad, tastes a
little like chicken and or red yarn LMAO!

That whole EVent is a complete blurr to me actually.
Besides the whole C&D thing going on, there was
another video guy there.  Between helping Jay Donnaway
drilling and tapping his blower covers on a mounted
motor, doing video takes, selling motor raffle
tickets, shooting my own video, and talking with what
seems like dozens if not hundreds of people I tend to
have lots on my plate.

Add to that a probably unknown fact that not one but
three of my motors were there racing (FT, Rod, and
Johns)(all in C&D) I was in major "Mother Hen mode"

Alright, I'm done squirming! 8^o

Cya

This is such a fantastic article! I have been passing copies around to friends. Just awesome.

Glad you liked it. Say, wanna pass one around to me? Ironic, isn't it, that I have not yet seen the actual magazine? Oh well, I at least have the electronic version for now.

For those interested, I found and put up a picture of Ted in White Zombie lined up against that 351 V8 Mustang he wrote about in the story. You can find it at the Plasma Boy racing web page under the '2006 Late Version' section, then under 'Races and EVents'.

Ok, one question; whose Sparrow is that on page 123?

That's local EVer Dan Bortel. The photo was taken at the 'Electric Breakfast' at the local Village Inn restaurant. Another tid bit...that's Victor Tichonov's white Honda ACRX in the charging photo at the track.

And one suggestion for Roderick Wilde; make up some fake tattoos of the Suck Amps logo and sell them on EV Parts and at EV events.

What a great idea!

See Ya.....John Wayland

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com

Hi

  I have six girls all go to school my round trips per day to include shopping
and work  are 28 miles whilst 8 is not vital 7 would be unless i make two trips
or use two cars .Where i am i have free parking  no road tax  no congestion no
mot charges for Ev and free electric hook ups This would result in a saving of
over $175 per week without fuel cost taken into the calculation which would
equate to a saving of $36400 over a 4 year period  So as i see it ev are for
the moment a mus Your thoughts would be highly valued thank you again for your
reply
  Umm, GVWR is the maximum TOTAL weight of the vehicle, this INCLUDES the
weight of the vehicle itself.

Since the vehicle weighs approx 1675 kg, that means you only have 488 kg
left. 8 passengers alone might exceed that weight.

It's not impossible to convert, but definitely sounds impractical.

Then again, it's going to be fairly tough to convert anything short of a
small bus to carry 8 passengers.
Is the 8 pass are definite requirement? What kind of range are yo looking
for?

> Hi David
>
> Thank you for your reply after looking every where for the GVWR I found
> it on the drivers door which is 2163 kg would this indicate that i
> could load 700kg of battery's and still have 1463 kg of passengers and
> if the weight of the 3.1 v6 engine and auto box was taken into
> consideration would that increase The vechile has a compressor which
> keeps the rear suspension level regardless of load I told being a front
> wheel drive would cause further problems how would you overcome that
>
> Regards Dave
>
> "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2007 at 16:40, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
>
>> A Ford Tarus Wagon with a bench seat in the front will hold 8.
>
> A Taurus wagon (1996 - 2004) has a curb weight of 3410-3480lb. A 1990-96
> Lumina weighs 3686lb. So yes there is a small but significant weight
> saving
> there. But it might be easier to cram batteries into the Lumina, leading
> overall more range and greater practicality. I don't think a Lumina is an
> impossible conversion at all. I don't think it's any worse in the weight
> department than a recent Ranger or S10 pickup.
>
> I'd say an ADC 9" would work fine, though I'd want to fit a stick shift if
> possible. A Curtis would get it moving, though not too fast. ;-)
>
> Batteries. Hmm. What worries me is that I don't see a GVWR or payload
> rating online anywhere for the Lumina. I'd want to fit 120-144v worth of
> golf
> car batteries. With that you'd already have a 3/4T (700kg) load before you
> add passengers. Would it be safe?

wish with the message. By posting the message you agree that your long

>>And one suggestion for Roderick Wilde; make up some fake tattoos of the
> Suck Amps logo and sell them on EV Parts and at EV events.
>>

> What a great idea!
>
> See Ya.....John Wayland
>
> http://www.plasmaboyracing.com

Y'know, that is a great idea.

How about this one....

My brother-in-law is a tattooist. Anybody interested in getting inked at Power
of DC? I'll bring him along if there's enough interest. He loves doing custom
stuff, he's cheap, very good, and interested in EV's.

Let me know off-list if you're interested.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

There is a Griffon van on the www.evtradinpost.com