  1) Misco Refractometer for Specific Gravity measurements
        by JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Fantasy batteries
        by robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: "bulging" case a visual sign of a bad floodie?
        by robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Oklahoma - Alternative Fuels Act, Regs an' Stuff
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Kokam LiPoly Batts
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Prius Hackers needed
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Lithium production, was: Fantasy batteries
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Regen is a bit better than you think
        by Tom Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Misco Refractometer for Specific Gravity measurements
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) HOW TO DRIVE AN EV FOR MAXIMUM RANGE.   Re: EVLN(Tofu maker Toya pulses &
glides his hybrid to nenpimania)
        by robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Balancing Lithium batterys - how does this work?
        by "Scott Littledike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: HOW TO DRIVE AN EV FOR MAXIMUM RANGE.   Re: EVLN(Tofu maker Toya
pulses & glides his hybrid to nenpimania)
        by "Paschke, Stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Wise A** Bad Boy Charger
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I got my Misco Model 7064VP-Plus yesterday.  (139.98 included shipping).
After checking the specific gravity of 33 flooded cells I will never use a float type hydrometer again!

1. Ease of use.
2. Accuracy
3. Cleaner.  No dripping acid.
4. The applicator can be used to check acid level by watching for the meniscus to form and seeing
   how much farther down to the top of the plates.
5. Faster.
6. Temperature compensated.
7. It also works for anti-freeze.
8. Easy to check calibration using distilled water.

I ordered it at www.misco.com
Thanks for the suggestion!

John in Sylmar, CA
PV EV

On 4/11/07, Kaido Kert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Seriously, people have shown interest in UQM PM brushless motors for
example, but UQM isnt selling.
The RC BLDC motors are (somewhat) similar in operating principle and
construction, and its reasonable that one or few manufacturers would
be willing to "grow" and sell for EV hobbyists as well. The power
range already starts to show up, with enough interest, experimentation
and trial&error they might even be willing to design some stuff for

There's a group which are building their own motors (having
laminations pressed and so on) - there is software and instructions
for designing them: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lrk-torquemax/
- this was introduced on this list by Ron van Sommeren some time ago.

I think that this is one of the motors which has come from this ethos,
a 30kW peak motor which weighs only 7.5kG.

www.rc-unionen.dk/nytforum/uploads/9302/2006918173952_Aspach%202006%201.JPG
http://www.rs-e-motoren.de/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=79

Even this monster motor is small in conventional EV scale, but it
shows what could be possible (e.g. for a geared hub motor) with the
appliance of science :)

Correction, that motor is rated 30kW for 30 minutes..  That's about
the same as my EV, except its motor weighs 72kG rather than 7.5 :)

On 4/11/07, Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 4/11/07, Kaido Kert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Seriously, people have shown interest in UQM PM brushless motors for
> example, but UQM isnt selling.
> The RC BLDC motors are (somewhat) similar in operating principle and
> construction, and its reasonable that one or few manufacturers would
> be willing to "grow" and sell for EV hobbyists as well. The power
> range already starts to show up, with enough interest, experimentation
> and trial&error they might even be willing to design some stuff for

There's a group which are building their own motors (having
laminations pressed and so on) - there is software and instructions
for designing them: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lrk-torquemax/
- this was introduced on this list by Ron van Sommeren some time ago.

I think that this is one of the motors which has come from this ethos,
a 30kW peak motor which weighs only 7.5kG.

www.rc-unionen.dk/nytforum/uploads/9302/2006918173952_Aspach%202006%201.JPG
http://www.rs-e-motoren.de/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=79

Even this monster motor is small in conventional EV scale, but it
shows what could be possible (e.g. for a geared hub motor) with the
appliance of science :)

I like your Header, Fantasy Batteries.

No, I don't like Lithium, because it comes from only two countries, and it
would be too easy for a corporation, or a war, to bottle up supply, and Lithium
EV's would end up with another Killed Electric Car.

IMHO, we have to stay and perfect the only battery that is cheaper than
gasoline: Lead Acid.

Well, our Vancouver hobby group has a kind of "fantasy battery". We've also got
three battery breakthroughs. Care to read about it?

EV Diary, part V (lots of photos), link

 http://evdiary-revived-pickup.blogspot.com/

Check out our trip photos, click on link above. People love to talk to us about
this, especially after the CBC aired David Attenborough's complete "The Truth
About Climate Change", of which, part two was about solving what the scientists
called, "a foreseeable catastrophe."

Cheers, Rob

David Hankins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Just browsing around and came on
these. Made me drool(more). :)

http://www.saftbatteries.com///060-MS_Military/50-30-10_produit.asp?sSegment
=Military+%26+Defence&sSegmentLien=10%2D10%2D10%5Fmilitary%2Easp&sSecteurLie
n=50%2D10%2D10%5FNaval%5Fapplication%2Easp&Secteur=Naval+application&Intitul
e_Produit=RA3

If my calculations are correct a 120v single string pack would weigh ~340#
and do 120 amps continuous for an hour + or 70 amps for 2 hours. Compared to
this Li-Ion:

http://www.saftbatteries.com/130-Catalogue/PDF/mp_176065_integration.pdf

which looks pretty potent to me and would do the equivalent output at ~850#
(2742 cells).

I'm not even going to try and imagine what they cost.

Good hunting

David Hankins

The island-country of Kiribati will be sunk in 15 years
by climate change.  May be one solution:
Newspapers and TV news coverage of
our 'no              cost' battery for electric vehicles,
solving global warming and pollution at once..
http://tv-news-revived-batteries.blogspot.com/

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Also, on VRLAs (sealed) on ebikes, my guess is that the valves aren't
releasing. Very cheap build, and mfg cheated by not putting in valves, imho,
like on the Raylight ebikes. Raylight vendor told me 100% of his batteries
bulged at the end of battery life.

David Roden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I think this results from positive grid
corrosion - typically a symptom of
chronic overcharging.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

The island-country of Kiribati will be sunk in 15 years
by climate change.  May be one solution:
Newspapers and TV news coverage of
our 'no              cost' battery for electric vehicles,
solving global warming and pollution at once..
http://tv-news-revived-batteries.blogspot.com/

---------------------------------
Be a PS3 game guru.

On 4/11/07, Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Even this monster motor is small in conventional EV scale, but it
> shows what could be possible (e.g. for a geared hub motor) with the
> appliance of science :)

Yes, i know about the lrk-torquemax thing. Thanks for the motor links.
The listed price is a tad expensive though 130$/KW, but might be well
worth it.
My 150cc Honda NSR "pocket rocket" has 29KW currently, and does
180km/h if pushed .. i wonder what that it would do with one of
these... hmm.

-kert

I ordered it at www.misco.com
Thanks for the suggestion!

John in Sylmar, CA
PV EV

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

This post could be better titled, perhaps as: HOW TO DRIVE AN EV FOR MAXIMUM
RANGE.

If you've been watching an ammeter carefully, you can see how its possible to
reduce amps by ~80% at little cost in speed, by coasting, once the EV has gone
up to speed (assuming no regen brakes. My motor is an Advanced 9 inch.)

Its a sobering lesson for gasoline drivers: Seems that driving in the "normal"
way is burning up gasoline needlessly. Is there a way to have an ammeter-like
gauge for gasoline cars?

Rob Matthies

bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: EVLN(Tofu maker Toya pulses & glides
his hybrid to nenpimania)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/05/business/sxhybrid.php
Mileage maniacs push limits of hybrids
By Terje Langeland  Bloomberg News   April 5, 2007

TOKYO: Toyota Motor says its Prius gasoline-electric hybrid car
can get about 55 miles to the gallon, making it one of the most
fuel-efficient cars on the road. That is not good enough for
Takashi Toya.

Toya, a 56-year-old manager for a tofu maker in central Japan,
puts special tires on his Prius, tapes plastic and cardboard over
the engine and blocks the grill with foam rubber. He drives
without shoes and hacks into his car's computer - all in the
pursuit of maximum distance with minimum gasoline.

Toya is one of about 100 nenpimania, Japanese for "mileage
maniacs," or hybrid owners who compete against each other to
squeeze as much as 115 miles per gallon out of their cars. In a
country where gasoline costs more than $4 a gallon, at least $1
more than the average U.S. price, enthusiasts tweak their cars
and hone driving techniques to cut fuel bills and gain bragging
rights.

"My wife thinks I've joined some strange secret society," Toya
said last January at a nenpimania gathering in Nagoya in central
Japan.

Mileage maniacs are not alone in pushing the limits of hybrid
vehicles. As the U.S. automakers General Motors and Ford Motor
race to introduce their own models, first rolled out by Japanese
companies in 1997, engineers at Toyota and Honda Motor are trying
to increase hybrid performance to maintain their advantage.
[...]
Hybrids combine a conventional gasoline engine with an electric
motor. The electric motor powers the vehicle at low speeds, and
the gasoline engine kicks in as the car accelerates. The motor
uses the motion of the wheels to recharge the batteries.
[...]
While the nenpimania may take things to extremes, there is a long
history of car owners tinkering with their machines to improve
gas mileage.

"The Gas Mileage Bible" (Infinity Publishing, 2006) promises to
help drivers improve fuel efficiency by more than 30 percent. It
is the latest in a line of books stretching back to at least
1942, when an American author named Lee Richter published a
64-page pamphlet on increasing tire and gas mileage to help save
resources for the U.S. war effort.

Since the 1997 release of the Prius, the first mass-market
hybrid, owners in Japan and elsewhere have fiddled with their
cars to raise mileage and shared tips, including the best driving
techniques, over the Internet. The mileage maniacs strive to
perfect what they call the "pulse and glide" driving method.

On a chilly Saturday afternoon in Aichi Prefecture, a short drive
from Toyota's world headquarters in Toyota City, Toya removes his
right shoe to demonstrate. Pulsing and gliding demands
sensitivity when pushing or releasing the accelerator, so only
his big toe touches the pedal.

Toya accelerates, or pulses, to 29 mph, then glides down to 25
mph before pulsing again. The car uses no fuel when gliding.

While driving, Toya monitors three pocket-sized electronic
gadgets designed by Yoshiyuki Mimura, a fellow hybrid enthusiast.
The dashboard devices use the car's computer to display engine
rotation speed, coolant temperature, accelerator position, brake
pressure and battery charge.
[...]
"We listen to our customers' opinions and accept them as
materials for product development," a Toyota spokeswoman, Shiori
Hashimoto, said in response to questions about the mileage
maniacs.

Toyota and other Japanese automakers are focusing on improving
hybrid batteries and making the vehicles cheaper, Endo said. The
cars now cost about �600,000, or $5,100, more than the equivalent
conventional vehicles.

Toyota plans to introduce a new Prius by 2009 that will be
smaller and cheaper, Endo said. The mileage maniacs say they look
forward to the challenge of improving its fuel efficiency.

"The vehicle will be high-tech," said the enthusiast, Mimura. "I
think it'll be more difficult to hack."

Copyright � 2007 the International Herald Tribune All rights
reserved
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

It's here! Your new message!

The island-country of Kiribati will be sunk in 15 years
by climate change.  May be one solution:
Newspapers and TV news coverage of
our 'no              cost' battery for electric vehicles,
solving global warming and pollution at once..
http://tv-news-revived-batteries.blogspot.com/

There are ones with hall sensors available, and adding three sensors
to an existing motor shaft does not break the bank either. Sensored
design should be better anyway for better low-speed control and
torque.
BTW, most of the RC ESCs or controllers drive the motors using
trapezoidal commutation, but there are some available that drive with
sine wave which makes for even better efficiency , lower losses in
motor and thus lower heating, and also makes the torque smoother (
less or no "cogging" )

-kert

--
www.electric-lemon.com

Many thanks for your replies, they have been extremely helpful!

So to summarise, you either pause charging to bleed voltage from the highest cell and waste this energy, or more efficiently, use some sort of relay circuit to transfer voltage from say the highest cell to the lowest (with current regulation obviously, e.g. a resistor/chip)

I was thinking of building a charger for myself, that monitors the cell voltages - when one cell reaches sat 3.6V, charging would be stopped and transferred to the lowest cell, until the lowest cell is close to the average of the string. charging would then continue etc until all cells are above say, 3.55V but below 3.6V?

Good point about temperature variation - i would not be using this BMS during actual battery use so i would hope that temperature variation would be minimal.

As for the question abut charging cells in parallel banks, this is a good idea as it is self regulating but i can see the downside being that the Ah rating of the bank would be large, and you would therefore need a high current charger = expensive components

Many thanks once again for the excellent replies!

Scott
From: Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Balancing Lithium batterys - how does this work?
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 23:49:12 +0800
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

On 09/04/2007, at 9:37 PM, Scott Littledike wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have been reading the recent thread on charging lithium batteries
> and was interested in how they should be balanced, what the process
> is etc. For example,from what i understand the A123 cells need a
> constant current charge to 3.6V. (please correct me if im wrong)

Yep that's correct, 3.6 volts for the A123 cells, though the peak
voltage does vary for different lithium chemistries.

The charging scheme for lithiums is known as "constant current,
constant voltage". As I understand it, for the first stage of
charging the charger needs to adjust its voltage to maintain a
constant current until the cells reach a peak voltage, then stage 2
is holding that voltage while the charge current tapers off. Charging
terminates when the current has dropped off sufficiently, e.g to
about 1/10th the original current.

> So, the basic job of a balancer is to ensure none of the cells are
> overcharged above 3.6V, and is to move charge into the least
> charged cells? how would this be performed - during the charging
> process i assume?

The most common charge balancing method is shunt or bleed, a form of
passive balancing, whereby each cell has its own little monitoring
circuit able to bypass the cell or bleed off the charge current once
the cell reaches it's target voltage to avoid overcharging. What you
speak of (moving charge into the least charged cells) is active
balancing, and is less common because it's much harder. In fact I
don't really know how they do it.. anyone?

> Would a balancer scan each individual cell voltage, and stop
> charging if any of the cells were overcharged?

It's best for the charger to keep going until all the cells are
charged, and have the battery management systems bypass any fully
charged cells to avoid overcharging. But yes, the BMS does have to
monitor each individual cell voltage in some way or another.

Also, the BMS should definitely be capable of isolating the pack (e.g
opening the main contactor) when any cell reaches it's lowest voltage
point (2.0 volts for the A123 cells) to avoid damage due to over-
discharging.

> Then, to top up the least charged cell - would the balancer charge
> this cell individually, or would say, the cell be connected with
> another in parallel (with some form of current limiting) to move
> charge across?

Yeah, not sure. It's tricky because the cells are always connected
together in the pack so you always have different voltage potentials,
so you can't easily transfer charge between them. You'd need some
form of isolated charge transfer system, maybe relays and
capacitors..? If anyone knows how active charge balancing works I'd
be keen to know too!

-Ian

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:14:15 -0700
From: "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> Yeah, not sure. It's tricky because the cells are always connected
> together in the pack so you always have different voltage potentials,
> so you can't easily transfer charge between them. You'd need some
> form of isolated charge transfer system, maybe relays and
> capacitors..? If anyone knows how active charge balancing works I'd
> be keen to know too!

There's a number of ways to do this. Lee Hart's battery balancer uses
a charger that is powered off of the full pack and switched to the
weak cell with relays. A microprocessors measures the cell voltages
and determines which cell need to be boosted.

Another way is to switch an energy storage device like a capacitor
from cell to cell, the capacitor will be charged from the highest
potential cell and discharged on the lower potential cells, thus
eventually equalizing the pack. This is not an ideal system for EVs
though, the equalizing is generally to weak to extend your range while
driving.

The reason to use active balancing is to extend your range. In a long
series string of batteries the weakest battery determines your range,
when the weak battery reaches its cut off voltage you have to stop
driving, even if the rest of the pack has 50% charge left, or you'll
kill the weak cell and in case of lithium; that may result in a fire.

By using a Lee Hart style balancer you can prop up the weak cell and
keep driving.

-Peter
--
www.electric-lemon.com

Match.com - Click Here To Find Singles In Your Area Today! http://msnuk.match.com/
thanks Jeff.
The dealer, who it seems may never have actually sold one ( !?) is saying he can do a 72-96 V system, using I think a matched Curtis controller. The prices are in the same ballpark as the less-expensive DC motors with a common controller, though I better recheck the output numbers to make sure. My application is aimed at less than 1200-1500 lbs total vehicle weight, less than 50 mph top speed, and minimal EE knowledge. and low-bucks too.

I got no answer from D&D when I asked   :(

JF

Jeff Major wrote:
Hi John,
I use a D&D SepEx motor on an IUV (industrial utility vehicle) with a Sevcon controller and it works very well. It does regen nicely. I have also used it with the Curtis SepEx controller. Also works well. This is at 48 volts. Sevcon does have a 72 volt version. I am not sure of motors available for that. This is much smaller than an on-road EV and has a top speed of about 15 mph. I run the motor TENV (totally enclosed, non ventilated). And also limit it to 300 amps, where max on the controller is 500 (maybe 600). Controller never gets hot. Running a lot of ventilation on the motor, the system may work for smaller/slower on-road EVs. Jeff

There is a gauge for ICE's.  It is a vacuum gauge or at least based on vacuum.
I remember my cousins 79 chevy Malibu having one.

> [...]

"The vehicle will be high-tech," said the enthusiast, Mimura. "I
think it'll be more difficult to hack."

Copyright � 2007 the International Herald Tribune All rights
reserved
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

It's here! Your new message!

The island-country of Kiribati will be sunk in 15 years
by climate change.  May be one solution:
Newspapers and TV news coverage of
our 'no              cost' battery for electric vehicles,
solving global warming and pollution at once..

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information
intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact sender immediately by reply
e-mail and destroy all copies.  You are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on
it, is strictly prohibited.
TIAA-CREF

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:00:41 -0400 (EDT), Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From:
>> Can a 48 volt Lester automatic charger be used as a Wise A**
>> Bad Boy on a 36 volt pack?
>
> It will work, but will fry your batteries the first time you forget to
> turn it off in time!
>

> --
> "Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one who is
> doing it."    --    Chinese proverb

Does the Lester charger reset (turn back on) after a power outage?

If so, this may help;
http://members.alcisp.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/mowerinst.doc

--
Stay Charged!