  1) Re: "bulging" case a visual sign of a bad floodie? - Not really
        by Lawrence Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Zener reg question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: HOW TO DRIVE AN EV FOR MAXIMUM RANGE.   Re: EVLN(Tofu maker Toya
pulses & glides his hybrid to nenpimania)
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by "John O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) The Costs of Racing EVs
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: HOW TO DRIVE AN EV FOR MAXIMUM RANGE.   Re: EVLN(Tofu maker Toya
pulses & glides his hybrid to nenpimania)
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) EVLN(SF Bay Area Car-pool-lane Sticker Thefts)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) EVLN(UK milesautomotive nEV 60mi range, no reverse)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) EVLN(Actor Larry Hagman Drives An Electric Vehicle)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) EVLN(USSC rule state's emissions laws Yes, automakers argue No)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) EVLN(Jp: 2015 EVs should cost slightly more than a minicar)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) EVLN(UK family singled out for wanting to drive Electric)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Yes that is my understanding too, that as the battery ages the plates corrode and expand, this is a normal part of the aging process and does not mean the battery is bad. Deep discharges and excessive overcharging speed up this process and in some cases also cause shorts to develop. Nothing directly to do with failed valves. If the valves ever open you are charging the battery too hard and the venting causes irreplaceable loss of water - again leading to another different failure mode.

The example of a EV bike dealer complaining the valves don't open and implying the bulging batteries have been killed due to this needs to do some homework and probably needs to find a better battery charger to sell their clients. Cheap chargers over charge the batteries, cause corrosion, bulging, shorts and if the valves open dry out the electrolyte and kill the battery before it's time. Uneducated riders over discharge their batteries causing sulfation, loss of plate area and kill the battery before it's time. Put the two together and you have a very dissatisfied customer!

All lead acid batteries eventually fail due to one or both of plate corrosion, sulfation and loss of water. These lead to loss of active material or active surface area and ether the battery looses so much capacity it is useless for it's intended purpose or develops an internal short and can no longer hold a charge. Careful charging and with non sealed batteries watering will give you the maximum life but there comes a time when you have too look the batteries in the eye and say 'you have been a good and true friend but it's time to move on to the next phase in the great cycle of life' :-) and look for the nearest recycling depot.

There has been much discussion of various magic formula to slow down or reverse some of these processes but no one in all the years I have watched this group has ever shown any demonstrative proof that anything but TLC can extend the life of a lead acid battery and nothing has ever been demonstrated that can revive a dead battery to a point that it could be returned to useful service in and EV. There has been lots of talk but never any rigorous data.

I would encourage Robert to discuss his 'no cost batteries for EV' in a detailed posting but I truly believe that he is just picking the OK batteries from a pile of suspect ones, charging them individually and then doing the re-use part of the three R's and hence slightly reducing the number of batteries that need to be purchased over time. The trouble is the cost of keeping an mismatched odd ball pack of batteries in line is costly in either electronics or manual labor or both.

Lawrence Harris

robert mat wrote:
Also, on VRLAs (sealed) on ebikes, my guess is that the valves aren't
releasing. Very cheap build, and mfg cheated by not putting in valves, imho,
like on the Raylight ebikes. Raylight vendor told me 100% of his batteries
bulged at the end of battery life.

David Roden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I think this results from positive grid corrosion - typically a symptom of chronic overcharging.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me. To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

The island-country of Kiribati will be sunk in 15 years
by climate change.  May be one solution:
Newspapers and TV news coverage of
our 'no              cost' battery for electric vehicles,
solving global warming and pollution at once..
http://tv-news-revived-batteries.blogspot.com/

---------------------------------
Be a PS3 game guru.

From: Michaela Merz
> I tend to agree with you John. I personally think it is simply
> _poor_ that after all those years, we still don't have access to
> reasonably priced DC technology that offers regen.

What does "reasonably priced" mean? A 300 watt PC clone power supply costs $30
-- that's 10 cents a watt. A Curtis 1221C 48kw controller (120v 400a) costs
$1400 -- that's 3 cents a watt, or 1/3rd the price.

It could be cheaper if built with Mexican labor rates and Chinese quality parts
-- but would you still want it? And before this can happen, the market has to
grow enough so there are enough customers to buy thousands of them -- not
dozens.

--
"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one who is
doing it."    --    Chinese proverb

From: MIKE WILLMON
> Just wondering what tolerance folks are using on their Zeners.
> 1% or 5%?

I bought bags of 100 zeners, and found that even though they were specified at
5%, they were actually accurate to 1%. That could easily be the "luck of the
draw". However, I'm using two per regulator -- if I got unlucky and they were
scattered throughout that 5% range, I could match pairs of them for the same
total voltage.

> Would a 10% differential between two +/- 5% Zeners on batteries
> with the same SOC, be enough to cause variances in the observable
> light coming from the lamps?

Yes; easily. Light bulbs have a large brightness-to-voltage variation, and the
human eye is very sensitive to brightness variations.

The simplest way to test your regulators is to connect them all to one battery;
they should all light up the same brightness when the battery goes into
overcharge.

--
"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one who is
doing it."    --    Chinese proverb
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377

Better yet (for modern cars) there are a couple companies that make MPG
gauges. These tap into the onboard computer's inside port and read off all
the settings. The one I'm looking at has 4 readouts, which you can set for
which ever readings you want. Among these are MPH and MPG settings. (It
takes the MPH reading and the injector readings to calculate current MPG...
similar to the readouts in hybrids.)  http://www.scanguage.com/

From: john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:29:29 -0700

and yet its my impression that the new hybrid trucks get most or all of their increased efficiency from regen.

John - can you tell why you have this impression?

My apologies for the double post in this thread.  My first post got stuck in
the
intestines of the SJSU server and I thought I must not have sent it.  The
resend dislodged the original post and they both issued forth from the ... uh
... the ... uh ... oh, never mind.  ;-)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

We would love to have a team of professional videographers and photographers swarming over the track for every run down the strip. The reality is that we operate on a shoestring budget. We do the best we can with the resources available to us.

Ditto! Pretty much most of the WZ video stuff is done by helpful volunteers, or God forbid, myself with a video cam (mine are the videos where everything goes blurry and or you can see my feet instead of the car). The only great video we have, is when someone like SBS Dateline shows up, or we get lucky as we did at Woodburn in '05 when we had three EV friends with video cams, one getting the arcy-sparky burnout, another capturing the launch, and another at the far end showing the car approaching then passing at 104 mph...it's probably our best WZ drag racing video.

I am looking forward to seeing what our young high school guys mix up as the final video from their class video project that was based around last month's Sunday afternoon drag races...4 cameras on that day, interviews, a mic on the track announcer, and music mixed in, too. Hope they got the fireball on tape! This was certainly a symbiotic relationship...the high school guys were hoping to find a cool 'subject' for their class video assignment, and I was hoping for video coverage a cut about the amateur stuff that is the norm. They got to video a unique electric drag car (that they can now boast to their peers is the 'one' from Car and Driver), and I got what looks like near professional grade camera work from four pumped-up guys with higher end video cams spending weeks on editing....sweet!

Somewhere out there in cyber space, 'Pixel' has great video of my show-down with a green Ford Torino GT with massive fat wrinkle wall slicks. It was captured on professional video and includes outrageous side-by-side burnouts, lots of V8 noise and snort, excited race fans cheering, and a great grudge match run down the track...WZ the winner, of course! I've never seen this video, but I hope it surfaces some day.

For example, each member of the pit crew (with access to the track) at this AHDRA event cost me $90 out of my own pocket. We all pay our own travel and food expenses. The KillaCycle team members pay for everything but the batteries out of their own pockets.

Pretty much the same at the Plasma Boy racing camp, too. Yes, we are fortunate to get battery pack sponsorship, and yes, we get other substantial price breaks for other parts for the car, but like Bill says, there are costs that come out of our pockets as well...far more than most realize! Tim pays for his race entry fees, track membership fees, and often refuses to be reimbursed (by me) for fuel costs as we use his Dodge diesel pickup occasionally as a tow rig. I of course, pay for all the car's modification costs, show costs, and other things that include promo. The recent Portland Roadster show was a very important EVent I decided we needed to be part of...nearly $1000 out of my pocket, though that did include a substantial setup fee to get T-shirts made. Our trip last year across the USA to Illinois and back, even with most of our fuel costs covered by the group that invited us, still cost Tim and I some serious dollars. Even weekend trips to car shows in Seattle, after meals and fuel costs, run hundreds of dollars. The most recent mods to the car, even with sponsorship help in the form of deep discounts and some freebies, are still costing me over $1000.

We are ordinary folks with ordinary paychecks working full-time jobs while doing all this in our "spare" time with our "spare" money. We are doing the best that we can.

Again, Ditto! I'm just a blue collar (actually, the uniforms are green) forklift mechanic who just wrote the final check to PSU for his daughter's collage tuition (she's about to graduate with honors). It's hard to squeeze out the extra dollars to pay to go racing, to fix broken stuff, and to buy something the car needs to go 1/10 second quicker. When I hear comments like "Only rich guys can race and set records"...well, I just have to laugh.

From Dennis:

I think a lot of folks here think we are sponsored to race our fast EVs, but in reality we do pay out of our own pockets 99% of the time.

Dennis, I know exactly what you mean!

See Ya.....John Wayland

BMW's have an gauge like that under the speedo. Even the old 80s cars do
and my 96 even does. Its pretty neat. You can see the needle plummet
when you floor it :)
Paul

pulses & glides his hybrid to nenpimania)

> There is a gauge for ICE's.  It is a vacuum gauge or at least based on
vacuum.  I remember my cousins 79 chevy Malibu having one.

> > Stephen Paschke
> > DAR, ERISA, Plan Review, and IPI/ICTMS support,
> >TIAA-CREF Denver
> > Senior Consultant
> > Keane, Inc.

[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.nbc11.com/news/11621739/detail.html
Thieves Target Bay Area Hybrid Vehicle Stickers   April 11, 2007

[Video:
 http://www.nbc11.com/videofiles/11649770/playlist.asx
Bay Area Thieves Target Hybrid Stickers]

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Thieves have been peeling off with the
limited-edition car pool lane stickers the state awarded to
drivers of hybrid fuel vehicles.

The Department of Motor Vehicles estimated two to three dozen
drivers a month have requested replacement stickers since the DMV
stopped giving them out in January, driving up the value of the
yellow stickers.

"We knew it was only a matter of time," said California Highway
Patrol Officer Mike Wright.

Drivers suspect sticker snatchers are selling the coveted tags,
which are valid through January 2011. The state capped the number
of hybrids with special Clean Air Vehicle driving privileges at
85,000.

In February, someone who was sent a set of stickers by mistake
put them up for sale on eBay for $10,000, although apparently the
auction item was removed after there were no bidders.

Tanya Cecchin, 39, of San Jose, narrowly escaped a $360 ticket
last month when a police officer pulled her over for driving in a
car pool lane before she noticed that three of her Toyota Prius'
four decals were gone.

"I was kind of patronizing to the cop," Cecchin said. "I thought,
`You poor fool, didn't you see my stickers?"'

She was able to talk her way out of the citation by flashing a
car pool lane registration card she had in the hybrid.

The HOV-lane perk is one of several privileges governments have
offered to owners of cars capable of running on both electricity
and gasoline. Some California cities waive parking meter fees for
hybrids sporting the stickers. Both the Internal Revenue Service
and several states offer income tax credits to drivers of the
fuel-efficient cars.

Mike Miller, a DMV spokesman, said those hoping to hawk or buy
pilfered permits should not get their hopes up. The stickers are
treated with a chemical that makes them blister, crack and
display the word "void" once they are removed.

"I doubt someone would be able to get them off intact," Miller
said.

Several states offer incentives to hybrid vehicle drivers. New
Jersey and Utah allow hybrids in the HOV-lanes and many states,
including California, give hybrid vehicle owners tax breaks and
rebates. Texas gives new hybrid owners a $100 pre-paid parking
card good for any one of the Austin's 3,700 parking meters.

Copyright 2007 by NBC11.com. The Associated Press contributed to
this report. All rights reserved.

===

http://origin.mercurynews.com/news/ci_5642461?nclick_check=1
For thieves, carpool stickers add to hybrid car appeal
The Associated Press Article Launched: 04/11/2007 11:09:16 AM PDT

SAN JOSE, Calif.- Thieves have been peeling off with the
limited-edition car pool lane stickers the state awarded to
drivers of hybrid fuel vehicles.
[...]
Copyright 2007 San Jose Mercury News
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

I would love to continue this train of thought off-list with anyone who
wants to but Im afraid I may be infringing on list rules with ICE talk
:) This is a key component of my conversion so I would rather the theory
be disproved now rather then later. Thanks a lot. But BTW, if series
hybrid is so bad, how does the Volt plan on pulling it off? Thank,
Paul