  1) Re: Torque?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: belly pan plastic
        by "Kip C. Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: "Honey, I Shrunk the Tires"
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: "Honey, I Shrunk the Tires"
        by "midiguy732" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: belly pan plastic
        by Mark Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Torque?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: belly pan plastic
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Does anyone know of a good steam car group?
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Does anyone know of a good steam car group?
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Orbitals vs. Optimas
        by Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: belly pan plastic
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Does anyone know of a good steam car group?
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: belly pan plastic
        by "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Here are the calculations. (was: Using Audio Capacitors for
  Dragsters)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hey Patrick,

You could put it on a dynamometer.  Or do a draw bar
pull test.  Strap the truck to a stationary object
with a force gague (or big spring scale) and floor it.
 Assuming the tires don't spin, the force you read
times the rolling radius is the torque at the wheel.
The motor will put out this maximum torque from zero
to about 7000 RPM.

I have some test data from an EV1 motor.  I thought
the S-10E used the same motor and control.  But the
EV1 was rated at 100 KW and the S10E at 85 KW, so
there may be some control limit or something to
derate, possibly for longer battery range.  My test
data for the EV1 motor showed a peak motor torque of
132 lb.ft.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 1998 Chevy S10EV with an 85kW (114
> horsepower) three-phase, liquid
> cooled AC induction motor.  How could I determine
> the torque?
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
http://sims.yahoo.com/

In a message dated 5/15/2007 9:56:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I would like to work on improving the aerodynamics of my truck. Of course I
want  to keep weight to a minimum.
I am considering LDPE, HDPE, and "Lexan" in say 3/32 or 1/8 thickness. Lexan is probably best at impact resistance. Not sure if low or high density poly would be a good choice as it costs less than Lexan. Thanks for any comments.

Al

I'm a huge fan of ABS plastic for stuff like this. Aside from it's good durability and low expense, it is relatively easy to work with. On straight cuts, just score a deep line and *snap*. It is also fairly stiff, but flexible and won't crack or shatter without high stress.

1/8" thick sheeting is going to be plenty impact resistant to all but stuff like folding lawn chairs and truck tire carcasses in the roadway. I've used it for belly pan material myself and it worked great.

- Kip
    George> Its a forgotten small detail, but if everyone converted to EV's,
    George> state and federal road taxes now applied to gasoline would have
    George> to be added to the cost of electricity, boosting the electrical
    George> cost/mile somewhat.

We won't need most of the interstate highway system, so delete the taxes
which are applied to its maintenance.  Nobody will have more than about
100-mile range. ;-)

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

Jack Murray wrote:
Why would the controller be stepping down the voltage when you are launching at full-throttle?

Because for the motor, voltage is proportional to RPM. At zero speed, you apply zero volts (in theory). In practice, you apply a very low voltage; just a few volts is enough.

But current is proportional to torque. At zero RPM, you are still applying a high current, to make high torque, so the motor accelerates.

If you dared to switch a series motor straight to a battery, a) the motor would try to instantly jump up to a high speed, b) it would try to draw "infinite" current from the batteries to do it, dragging their voltage down to something very low, c) something would melt, break, or blow up.

I agree that the caps must have low resistance, there are many high-capacity caps that are not designed for high-current and have high resistance. I didn't look at the audio caps, but the 400F Ness caps I mentioned have only 3.8Mohm.

Do you realize how low the internal resistance of batteries are? A 6v golf cart battery has about 5 milliohms of resistance -- and that's for its three 2v cells in series. An Optima has about 3 milliohms of resistance -- and that's the total for six cells in series. Supercaps generally give a resistance for just a single 2.3v cell.

    Danny> One of the stated motivations has actually been that fuel taxes
    Danny> are unfair because hybrid cars pay much less road tax than a
    Danny> Hummer.  No joke.  They've actually said this.

Make it fair and multiply the distance driven by the GVWR of the car.

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

Danny Miller wrote:
There are already test projects to replace fuel taxes and/or toll roads with either an odometer reading or much more likely a GPS system... I fear this more "convenient" form of billing could quickly lead to it becoming as complex as, and as much a scam as, a cell phone contract... Also important is a closed "black box" system operated in your car is extremely prone to privacy issues.

My concern with "solutions" like this is that they are generally bad for the people and good for someone else (the government, and the companies that get the monopoly on selling you these systems). We pay the costs, but the benefits go to someone else.

I believe that it you added up all the costs/benefits of hybrid and electric vehicles, the benefits would already exceed the costs due to lost gasoline revenues (reduced oil imports, less air pollution, fewer health problems, lighter vehicles so less wear on the roads, etc.) So, these fuel tax replacement systems cost more than they're worth.

Read "Other Days, Other Eyes" by Bob Shaw. It's a science fiction story about a humble little invention that seems innocuous enough, but that gradually grows to produce a dystopian future where the government can literally watch and record everything that everyone does.

Kaido Kert wrote:
While you are correct that Solar still has hard time paying off, your
weight numbers are based on silicon panels. Look at thin-film instead,
like PowerFilm ( http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/ ) which is pretty
available, and there are others.
The added weight is next to nothing, cost, however ..

If you're putting PV panels on a car, then you have serious surface area limitations, but weight hardly matters. In this case, you want PV cells with the highest energy per unit area. This generally means silicon monocrystal cells, as used in spacecraft and solar raycers.

If you're putting PV panels on a building roof, then surface area is not much of a problem. People use 2-3 times the area to get the same the same amount of energy, in order to get a much lower price. Thin film and amorphous cells excel in these applications.

But I believe you are trading mileage for traction.  A skinnier hard tire will
not be as good in the rain, a hard stop and hard cornering.

You can also remove bumpers and seatbelts to save weight and also improve
mileage.

via Treo
David Hrivnak

From: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 23:15:27 -0500

Lexan (a trade name for polycarbonate) is a poor choice for impact resistance.

You may be confusing polycarbonate with acrylic ( plexiglass). Polycarbonate has very high impact resistance. Here is a link to a manufacturer of police riot face shields made of polycarbonate:

http://sites.securemgr.com/folder11152/index.cfm?id=25482&fuseaction=browse&pageid=39

And, motorcycle helmets are often made of polycarbonate.

Phil Marino

It is actually somewhat brittle, relatively speaking.
Unless you need the clarity, there is no reason to use it. Also, Lexan scratches easier than acrylic (Plexiglass) and will be probably rapidly scratched by road debris being under the vehicle.

They go:
LDPE
HDPE
UHMW-PE

UHMW-PE is expensive but unbelievably tough. It is also chemically resistant to most anything it may come in contact with. However, all the PEs are subject to UV damage unless otherwise specified. There are some additives which may slow down the rate of UV damage. Black is always better but this is an unusual color to get. Polypropylene is more UV resistant than PE, but hardly "UV proof".

However, being UNDER a car should not get that much UV. I suspect this will probably be safe even without a UV stabilized version.

The corrugated plastic material is called "Coroplast", at least that's the biggest mfg'er. Coroplast is corrugated polypropylene and you'll find many signs are made from it, even some of those stuck into the ground by the road. It is readily available from any plastics supply store. It is cheap, light, and tough, though nowhere near as strong as a 1/8" sheet of UHMW. However, I'd suspect it's strong enough to do this job! Given the low weight and cost, I expect this may be the best choice. Special mounting procedures would need to be used, generally this means large washers to spread out the force so it does not tear around the bolt holes.

Danny

David Roden wrote:

Solectria used a corrugated plastic material. It reminds me of the stuff that US Postal Service carrying boxes are made from. (If you have a business with a PO box, you probably have a collection of these boxes, so you know what I mean.)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me. To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

More photos, more messages, more storage-get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I went to the Ness website and browsed the ultra capacitors to see where the current specs were these days.

Under very gentle discharge, ultra caps have a specific energy in the range of 2 to 5 Watt-hours/kg. (This will be much lower under high discharge. You won't get even half of that at max power.) Here are a few comparisons:

AGM lead-acid ~ 30 W-hr/kg
NiCads ~ 45 W-hr/kg
Li-Ion FePo ~ 110 W-hr/kg

Now you are getting a glimpse at the problem. (This is why the folks using caps pushed the car to the starting line, by the way.)

It takes at least 500 Watt-hours to get the KillaCycle to make a fast run down the strip. This is about how much energy it takes to get a 619 lb bike with a 135 lb driver to cover the 1/4 mile in the 8's. This does not include the burn out, the trip to the starting line, or the trip back to the pits. This weight assumes your ultra caps weigh just 161 lbs.

If you use the least-powerful ultra caps that have the most energy per kg, and you (incorrectly) assume that you will be able to extract the total maximum specific energy from them, the pack will weigh a minimum of 100 kg = 220 lbs. This is about 60 lbs heavier than the present pack. Oops! The bike goes much slower because it weighs more AND is has much less available HP. Let's fix the HP problem.

If you were to select capacitors that are more powerful, (on par with A123 cells) the specific energy would drop to 2 (or less.) This boosts the cap pack weight to 500/2 = 250 kg = 550 lbs! Oops! The bike goes even slower, not faster.

As we discussed in a previous note, you can't get all the available energy out of a pack of caps at the drag strip because the drag racing discharge curve is "upside down" from what the caps are able to deliver. You need about _twice_ the weight in caps to deliver some sort of HP at least half-way down the track. This pushes the pack weight up even more!

As the pack weight grows, this boosts the vehicle weight, which boosts the HP and energy requirements in proportion. It is a losing proposition. It just won't work.

Ultra caps are not the best choice for drag racing. This is obvious if you just do a few simple calculations. You don't even need to do the more detailed calculations because the numbers are so bad, even making wildly optimistic assumptions.

        Bill Dube'

        "Nuff said"?