  1) Re: Battery - Fuel Cell Hybrid Idea
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Corded mower
        by "David Hankins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Twin Motors, forklifts and drive belts?
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Twin Motors, forklifts and drive belts?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: New EVDL survey
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Thundersky Real World Experience
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: My thoughts as my EV conversion nears 10k electric miles
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Battery - Fuel Cell Hybrid Idea
        by "Peter & Kyla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Battery - Fuel Cell Hybrid Idea
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Siamese8 rub pics up
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Thundersky.  No BMS
 12) Re: Thundersky.  Valence No BMS
 13) RE: Battery Venting
        by "Nawaz Qureshi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Wrecks
        by Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Battery watering
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Li   affordability, Re: Thundersky    Peri
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Battery - Fuel Cell Hybrid Idea
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: New EVDL survey
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Thundersky.  Valence No BMS
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: New EVDL survey
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Power of DC, BC EV Show,  & other misc. Race Stuff
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: New EVDL survey
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: High Speed Electric Winch
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Battery watering
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by "Dmitri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- It is worthwhile to note that a NiMH cell can be seen as such a cell, at a basic level. The H20 in the electrolyte loses an H which stores in the hydride while the remaining OH- stays in solution making it more alkaline. The reverse of course gets electricity by recombining the H and OH- to make water.

Danny

(-Phil-) wrote:

This is called a "reversible fuel cell", and it's basically what a normal fuel cell does, but will also work in reverse.... The efficiency is horrible for all existing devices. So far, Not even on the same planet as a good old SLA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_fuel_cell

Even if you used a "normal" fuel cell, the most efficient ones ever created so far, and the most efficient electrolysis system to make the fuel, you still end up with a inefficient system, and one that's ridiculously costly (so far).

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Hwang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 08:33:48 -0400
From: "childreypa--

Paul wrote:

> 1. Is buying the forklift, no matter how cheap, worth it? Is
> there really any other usable parts and enough cables to we
> work the effort of hauling and transporting?

No.  The 36V controller and wiring won't be useful in your car.

> 2. As I remember, both motors only have a drive shaft on one
> end. Can I have a machine shop weld an extention onto one
> motor and lathe it down. So I can couple the second motor
> behind it. Will it be strong enough? Can I press in a new
> shaft? Is it possible or worth it?

Jim Husted is your man.  I wouldn't bother with anything less than
having a new shaft pressed in, and I'm not sure if it would be cheaper
to have that done than to just belt the motors together.

> 3. Can I have both motors mounted side by side connected with
> a timing belt arangement similar to a motorcycle drive belt
> and how long do you think that would last?

Yes.  There are a few vehicles setup like this.  The first to come to
mind is Otmar's CaPope 914:

<http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/293>
<http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/popupimg.php?1935>

> 4. Is the 36v controller any good? Can I use this at low
> speeds and starts and then cut it out with a contactor and do
> the rest of my speed control with contactors arangng the
> batteries in series/ parrallel?

This could be possible, but if you want to run with two motors you are
probably best off to get in the queue for a 'Zilla controller with
series-parallel switching instead (and then ditch the tranny entirely).

With your car's IRS rear end, another option could be to ditch the
differential and tranny and belt or chain one motor to each half-shaft.
This would avoid the need to modify the motor shaft or to couple the
motors together.

To get decent performance from the car you will have to run these motors
on significantly more than 36V, so you will need to advance the timing
and possibly address some other details (check with Jim).

Low voltage motors such as this may be inherently low RPM high torque,
which would make them well-suited to directly driving the rear
half-shafts since you wouldn't need as much reduction between the motor
and shaft as with higher RPM motors.

--- Begin Message --- Took the survey. I've run mailman for many years on my own server, and I host many lists. It's a great package!

In addition, I think these are probably somewhat obvious, but for a discussion list, I think the "reply_goes_to_list" should be set to "this list". I also usually set "personalize" to "yes" (not Full!).

If you need any questions answered, let me know, I'd be happy to assist!

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Thundersky
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:50:05 -0500

>I fear that by the time you're seeing the lifespan benefit
>of spending  all that $ on lithium instead of getting lead,
>the lithiums readily  available on the market at that time
>would cost only a fraction of this  and perform better to
>boot.
>
>The principle of "slack factor" was proposed some years ago
>in the  context of a computing task.  Say you have to have
>a mass computing  capability in place, or complete a mass
>computing task, and that  solution needs to be in place in
>2 years.  It might cost $20k to buy the  cutting edge
>machines now.  If you procrastinate, you might be able to
>buy your machines 3 months ahead of the deadline and only
>pay $5k and  still get the job done on time.  In fact if
>it's a huge fixed computing  task you need to solve, it
>might take 6 months with today's machines but  only 3
>months with those available near the deadline.

      Well said. One has to be careful on the bleeding edge
of tech and why I like using the best of 20+ yr old tech,
debugged and low cost. Most of my tech is 40+ yrs old. The
composites is the same as Rutan used on his early canard
planes, Lotus used in the Elan in 68 and I used in racing
boats about the same time.
      One way around this is by having a low drag EV. As EV
battery pack, drive costs are directly related to EV weight.
What this means is a 1200 lb aero EV can have 100+ mile
usable range for about $6500 plus BMS of TS li-ions. Doable.
     But that would just match my lead pack at $1000 and no
bms needed. So with it's life of 4-7 yrs I figure that by
the time I need a new pack I can get a li-ion one of
probably 200 mile range for $3k or so is my plan.
     The only really good thing is the mentioned $25k pack
of TS could give my EV a range of 400+ miles but would raise
the EV's price 3x's as much.
     The barrier to EV's is not the batteries but the lack
of low drag gliders.
     A Karman Ghia has also did as well in wthr/mile so it
would be a great platform to put Li-ions in at a reasonable
cost with 100 mile range at about gross weight.  At least if
one used a platform like that they wouldn't be out so much
if it didn't work well.

                                Jerry Dycus

 Peri, my email keeps bouncing.

>One could wonder if the principle won't mean that you spend
>$30k for a  li-ion capacity that will last you for 7 years,
>but in 3 years the same  capacity would only cost $5k
>anyways.  Or worse, the original $30k cells  are obsolete
>and less desirable than the new $5k technology and you toss
>them anyways to get a better capacity, peak energy delivery
>, and faster  recharge capacility.
>
>One possible paradox of the slack factor could be that if
>technology  continues to advance as an exponential rate, it
>NEVER makes sense to buy  a long term purchase!  In a way
>it always makes sense to wait for the  technology to get
>better before engaging in a long term purchase before
>buying- and after you've waited a year then it continues to
>make sense  to wait yet another year and so on ad
>infinitum.  Sadly batt technology  hasn't had the problems
>of exponential growth of the technology.  We  should be so
>lucky.
>
>Danny
>
>Ian Hooper wrote:
>
>> Plus (supposedly) you should get 4x the cycle life with
>> LFPs compared   to lead.. time will tell here.

Sorry to break in here, gang, but this thread is somewhat troublesome for a
couple of reasons.

First, although it's talking about batteries, it's partly off topic.  The
EVDL decided several years ago to not discuss fuel cell vehicles.

Second, it effectively tips into the area of over-unity and perpetual motion
devices, another area that we've long since agreed to avoid.  The physics of
the idea aren't supportable, as some responses have tried to make clear.

I wouldn't have said anything, but the thread is beginning to take up a
significant amount of list bandwidth.  Please take it to private email if
you'd like to discuss it further.

Thanks for your understanding!

On 8 Jun 2007 at 12:31, (-Phil-) wrote:

> In addition, I think these are probably somewhat obvious, but for a
> discussion list, I think the "reply_goes_to_list" should be set to "this
> list".  I also usually set "personalize" to "yes" (not Full!).

Thanks for that comment.  I considered adding that question to the survey,
but it's not an issue that lends itself very well to a one-page description.
 Maybe I should try, though; it's a significant matter.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

--- Begin Message --- given the weight and power of their motor it seems they are choosing the right technology with getting their power through the voltage rather than the current by going high rpm (phase velocity). seemingly a pure win win other than perhaps a little higher gear ratio needed. am I understanding that right or is there more to it?

is high rpm AC the certain way forward?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- It seems to me that marketing guys tend to say things in a way that they see it fit. Who cares about the truth.

BMS is not necessary for LFP cells. It's hard, but not impossible, to get them burst in flames. If that's the only criteria you're looking for. Go ahead with plain cells.

BMS is needed to get the lifetime of cell strings near to individual cell life. So value for your money.

Balancing, whole system capacity estimation and SOH are required. Aren't those two last things just what you wan't to see on the dash ? An accurate fuel cauge and next service.

It is possible to have cells in a perfect voltage balance for many cycles if you just cycle the cells between 30 and 70 % SOC and keep them in similar enough temperature. This is possible if you have carefully selected cells in same pack.

If you visit frequently in 0-30% SOC region you will see the balance drift away. Cycle after cycle.

The BMS cost and system development are both getting to better direction.

One really big thing is to get the whole manufacturing process in speed. A constant and stable process.

Before we are there we need to get volumes up. Big volume customers are priority. Grass root movement has not been forgot, but first things first.

Material cost have got higher (copper, Lithium, etc.) but also the manufacturing methods have been improving a lot. We are going for fully automatic production line in Shenzhen. Even new cell types are being tested in TS labs. All Lion tech today is still far cry from their theoretical capabilities. So lot's of work to do.

-Jukka

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>