  5) unsubscribe
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Re: full size truck conversion
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Turbine Range Extender
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EV achilles' heel
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: EV achilles' heel - Trailer thoughts
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Chorusmotors.com
        by "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: What batteries to try next?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: How the Prius Works
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: EV achilles' heel
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: long range EV MC
        by "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: What batteries to try next?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: EV achilles' heel
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: DMV in PA
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I just replaced my 24 exide orbitals. They were weak but still under
warantee. I did findout that they are really easy to reverse but they
recover from that ok.
They didn't last as long as I thought they should, but it was my first
pack. :-) so about 8000 miles and 1.5 years

OK so some day when priui are avail with blown ICE motors and no-one can
afford to fix them we use it as the perfect glider.

Replace the ICE with a warp 9 to be used for passing, hill climbing, and
"rice burner" mode. (Let the Ecm controll the zilla?)

Use MG1 and MG2 togather for variable ratio round town use.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: EV achilles' heel
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:59:25 -0400

1) does anyone actually have a generator on their vehicle, and know how
loud it is?
or is it all conjecture? "it must be noisy, and I don't like the idea, so
you must be crazy since I'm an environmentalist (and I'm right)..." is
hardly a valid argument.

2) is there any reason you can't voluntarily buy and install a catalytic
converter/quiet exhaust?

3) any reason you couldn't put a chain hoist in your garage (if you have
one) and put it on the back of your truck? (for those of you who have
trucks) - or trailer, if you have a different vehicle?

The entire exhaust on my old geo was $200, including a new catalytic (Yes,
I'm FAR-right-wing, and Yes, I care about the environment  - hence the
totally voluntary purchase of a catalytic converter on a vehicle that the
state didn't say I had to replace. I also care about what *terrorists* are
doing with the gas-money I give them). Just because you're an
environmentalist, doesn't mean you have all the answers.

We've all spent way more than that on our EVs, theres no reason you
couldn't tack on a catalytic, if you're concerned about the environment
and noise.

Modern ICE engines ( on road-going vehicles) achieve their low emissions by having a well-designed, computer-controlled engine to begin with, and with the help of a catalytic converter, and a host of sensors and controls that work together.

"Tacking" a catalytic convert onto an engine not designed for it will accomplish very little, and the converter will likely be destroyed very quickly.

Phil Marino

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm
Ok, try reading the subject AND the body befor replying.

We aren't talking about 'most' EVs, we are talking about a 'Large Truck'
(subject line) that is towing a trailer (mentioned several times in the
body)

30 kw is barely adequate in a small, lightweight, EV.  Actually most
people would find 30kw less than acceptable.

> I think with a battery pack and a reasonable EV, 190kw is excessive.
> Maybe
> up hill and accel, yes, but that's what the huge battery buffer is for.
>
> 30kw would probably do a great job for most EV's.

I have a small, lightweight EV with a 30kw drive system.  It's a 1988
toyota pickup thar weighs 3200 lbs. With only 30kw available it takes 80
seconds to get to 60 mph (and no, I did NOT forget the decimal point)

A large truck that weighs 3x as much would probsbly NEVER reach 60 mph on
30 kw, and it couldn't tow a trailer up a driveway.

> -Phil

I agree.  Highway towing is a high horsepower activity. Continuous
horsepower, not peak horsepower.  That's why diesels are so good at
it, because they have better fuel consumption numbers compared to
gasoline when run at high sustained output.

However, for slow towing, the torque of an electric is great.  A
friend has a gorilla (the electric atv, for those who might not know
what it is).  It's only a 36 volt system with six T-145 batteries.
But, it can pull his tandem axle car trailer around the yard for
positioning and such.

On 6/14/07, Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ok, try reading the subject AND the body befor replying.

We aren't talking about 'most' EVs, we are talking about a 'Large Truck'
(subject line) that is towing a trailer (mentioned several times in the
body)

30 kw is barely adequate in a small, lightweight, EV.  Actually most
people would find 30kw less than acceptable.

> I think with a battery pack and a reasonable EV, 190kw is excessive.
> Maybe
> up hill and accel, yes, but that's what the huge battery buffer is for.
>
> 30kw would probably do a great job for most EV's.

I have a small, lightweight EV with a 30kw drive system.  It's a 1988
toyota pickup thar weighs 3200 lbs. With only 30kw available it takes 80
seconds to get to 60 mph (and no, I did NOT forget the decimal point)

A large truck that weighs 3x as much would probsbly NEVER reach 60 mph on
30 kw, and it couldn't tow a trailer up a driveway.

> -Phil

--- Begin Message --- "The alternator/starter itself is a 3-phase, and is about the size of 2 beer cans end to end. Surprisingly small. Cooled by the intake air.
It spins VERY FAST (close to 100k rpm)."

30kW in a 2 beer can sized generator. that's what I'm talking about.
and suprise surprise it's about high rpm/phase velocity no doubt with high voltage as a result

Dan

(-Phil-) wrote:
The price new is like $30k. This one had only 18 hours (was used for backup) and was in great shape. The actual turbine and generator aren't much larger than a 5 gallon bucket. The Air cleaner and sound baffle are another 5 gallon bucket on front. The weight is pretty trivial.

The alternator/starter itself is a 3-phase, and is about the size of 2 beer cans end to end. Surprisingly small. Cooled by the intake air.
It spins VERY FAST (close to 100k rpm).

The inverter and control electronics are about the size of a suitcase.

There are some other components, but other than the AGM battery pack (240 volts of Hawkers) they don't take up much space.

The on-board inverter is programmable and will do grid intertie, or output any voltage or frequency you might want. From DC to like
600hz if I remember right.   It will do three phase AC as well.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Frederiksen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: GWMobile
I would be interested to hear opinions from list members about the
patents from this company.
www.chorusmotors.com

It's a legitimate company, with a valid concept. They've been around for at least 10 years. Fundamentally, they have worked out improved winding techniques and inverter driving waveforms to improve on the traditional 3-phase AC motor.

A standard 3-phase motor is designed and optimized to run on perfect sinewaves. But this is a very difficult waveform to produce efficiently with an inverter.

Normal brushed DC motors are polyphase motors; they have a much larger number of phases than 3. By carefully positioning the armature windings, they have designed motors that can run efficiently with square waves on each phase winding. These square waves are easily produced by the commutator.

The chorus motor is an effort to find a compromise between these extremes; complex inverter to get simple motor windings versus simple inverter but complex motor windings. They add more phases (but not as many as a DC motor), and let the inverter generate squarer waveforms (but not completely square waves).

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. -- Frances Willard
--

Zeke Yewdall wrote:
Are these different concordes than the ones sold for PV systems?
Because I can get a 6 volt 210AH one (about the same capacity as a 12
volt 95AH one) for only $230 retail.  I haven't looked up the 12 volt
one, because it's not a standard one I buy alot, but I imagine the
price would be similar.  I love them for PV, but I didn't think they
were high enough rate for EV's.

The ones I have are their "Chairman" series. You probably have their "Sun-Xtender" series.

Even the Chairman series has more internal resistance than an Optima or Hawker, and isn't good for high currents. In my case, I have the controller current turned down all the way so I don't draw more than 400 amps.

But how far would a Prius go on battery only? The latest Prius has only 100
lbs of batts.

From: "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: DMV in PA
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:55:29 -0700

A good point. Some states don't take kindly to "salvage" titles. PA is like
many states (see below) where salvage titles can mean a car damaged heavily,
or simply an older car that can be easily restored, though it will still
carry a salvage title. It leads a buyer to think the car was seriously
damaged. One such was Judi's PU. A dented fender, broken grill, and
bumper... and it was marked as salvage. I restored the '94 Toyota (for $200)
to like new condition, but the salvage title reduced its resell to silly low
prices. All because a body shop wanted 15 times the price for the same job.
I think it's a simple way that insurance companies keep you from getting the
full value for your car... possibly linked to new car sales. (This truck ran
great. It should, since it had 65K miles. They gave us $2000, which was far
less than a $15K replacement.)

Reconstructed Vehicle - A vehicle, other than an antique or classic vehicle,
for which a certificate of salvage was issued and is thereafter restored to
operating condition to meet the vehicle equipment and inspection standards.
Salvaged Vehicle - A vehicle which is inoperable or unable to meet the
vehicle equipment and inspection standards to theextent that the cost of
repairs would exceed the value of the repaired vehicle. The term does not
include a vehicle whichwould qualify as an antique or classic vehicle except
for its lack of restoration or maintenance.