  1) RE: Rolling Resistance - how to measure
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
        by "Brian Pikkula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Motor cooling and temps
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Motor cooling and temps
        by "Mark Eidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Motor cooling and temps
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Wire 4/0
        by "Harry Houck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Rolling Resistance - how to measure
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: 55mph - calculating HP
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
        by Steve Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Cheap
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
        by "james s" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Google presses for 100 MPG vehicle
        by M Bianchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Google presses for 100 MPG vehicle
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: 55mph - calculating HP
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Brush timing (was: Zombie rises from the dead Siamese8 lives
  again)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Cheap
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: 55mph - calculating HP
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:30:04 -0500

This morning I did a test for rolling resistance.

I was traveling at 60mph on flat ground in my car on a non windy day.
It took me 7 seconds to slow 0.1 Miles (on the odometer)
My speed at the distance of 0.1 Miles was 55mph at the 7second mark.

What would be my rolling resistance in this range 55-60mph?

God bless

Rob -

Because of the wind drag at highway speeds, you can't deduce rolling resistance very well from this particular test. The wind drag would swamp the tire drag.

But, it could work very well if you do it at slower speeds. You might try timing the car from , for example, 15 MPH to 5 MPH. A those speeds, the air drag is fairly small and won't drastically affect your resutls.

Make sure the car is out of gear, and the road is VERY level. Doing the same test in both directions - and averaging the results - would help account for any slight grade of the road.

Here is how you would do the calculation:

1.  Calculate your decelleration:

First, convert your speeds to FPS ( feet/second ) by multiplying by 1.47. For example, 15 MPH is 22 FPS, and 5 MPH is 7.35 FPS.

Now, divide the change in speed by the slow-down time to get decelleration in feet per second squared:
( let's use 40 seconds as an example)

Decelleration = (22 FPS - 7.35 FPS) / 40 S = 0.367 feet/sec/sec

2. To get the RR factor, divide this decelleration by the acceleration of gravity **( 32.2 FPS):

RR = 0.367/ 32.2 = 0.011 = 1.1 %

So, in this case your calculated rolling resistance coefficient would be 1.1 %.

The difficult part might be to determine exactly when you reach the final speed.

Or, you could use 0 MPH ( dead stop) as your final speed - the calculation is even simpler.

Good luck. Let us know what you measure ( and what tires and tire pressure you are using)

Phil Marino

** Rolling resistance is the ratio of drag to car weight. By taking the ratio of decelleration ( proportional to tire drag) to the acceleration of gravity ( proportional to car weight) you get the same value.

Picture this – share your photos and you could win big! http://www.GETREALPhotoContest.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us
Since the majority of our EVs are > 10 years old, the paint on them
isn't like it used to be.  However, I have a hard time justifying
spending $2k for something that will not propel my EV.

I have some time on my hands while saving up for my next big purchase
( a 9" ADC), so I am considering painting the car myself using a
roller.  The kicker is that it costs < $100 to do it (not including
the random orbit polisher).  I'll also be able to bondo the dents,
too.  There are several sites that explain this and show their
results.  Has anyone tried this before?  Results?

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/page/Rollering+Interlux+Brightside+Polyurethane+Paint?t=anon

The original thread that introduced the roll on method to the masses:
(30+ pages)
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1%3Cbr%20/%3E

Thanks,
Brian
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/960

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Your motor has an internal fan, so spinning the motor does help keep it cool. You just need to realize that even without power applied you can spin your motor too fast and destroy it. This will not be a problem unless you down shift, or pick up significant speed coasting down a hill.

The easiest way to add external cooling is to modify or replace the brush guard so that it has an inlet for forcing air through the motor.

damon

From: "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Motor cooling and temps
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:49:26 -0400

Well here's the good news:

I drove my car home 20 miles on the freeway at 55 & 65 mph. The moment I got home, I slapped my multi-meter on the temp probe pigtails of my motor to see if the probe was open or closed (since I haven't hooked up a dummy/warning light yet) and the probe was still open. I assume this is good and that I haven't overheated.

The motor is an ADC L91-4003 6.7" motor. I've seen motors that have a coupling on the body where you can hook up a duct or a cooling blower. These motors have no such fitting. This leaves me with more questions:

How can I set up forced air cooling for this motor?
Am I supposed to?
Do ADC motors provide some self cooling while they spin? For instance, if I leave the car in gear while I coast, is the motor circulating air?
Should I just mount a couple of small DC fans to blow on the motor body?

Rich

PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507

Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01
Personally, I am spending the money and having a professional do mine.

Regardless of the method there are some basics to painting that always remain true. The first is that the key to any good paint job is in the prep. If you get everything straight and clean, and you use the correct primers and paint for the job at hand you will have a better chance at a successful job. The second is that light colors are more forgiving of mistakes than dark colors. If you don't really know what you are doing, or you do not have a very detail oriented personallity, then use a lighter color and your shortcomings won't be nearly as noticable.

damon

From: "Brian Pikkula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:32:25 -0500

[...]

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm
The drawing for this motor calls out "Ventilated Motor with Fan".
This motor has an internal fan/impeller on the drive end that sucks
air thru from the brush end.  You can feel the air blowing out around
the whole motor when it is running.  If the motor is turning the
impeller is sucking air thru the motor.  me

On 6/21/07, Richard Acuti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Richard,

Motors come in a lot of ventilation configurations.  I
do not know what your's looks like.  Some are
ventilated with internal fan.  There would be slots in
the drive end head (DEH) where it attaches to the
frame.  Then a fan is attached to the shaft next to
the armature opposite the commutator.  This radial fan
blows air out of the DEH slots while sucking it in
thru the slots in the commutator end head(CEH).  The
cool air comes in around the brushes and comm, is
pulled thru the frame between the field coils and
somewhat across the armature , then out.  The shaft
mounted internal fan is not too efficient, very
ineffective at low speeds, and does nothing at
standstill, where you can get a significant heat soak
in the motor if you come to a stop after a hard pull.

Some motors are ventilated without fan.  Slots at one
end or both.  The armature is not a smooth surface, so
it will mix the air up and provide some exchange with
outside.  Not as effective as with the fan.

Then there are totally enclosed motors.  These can
have a fan inside, but most do not.  Some totally
enclosed motors have a fan outside attached to the
shaft with a shroud to blow air over the frame, mostly
AC motors.

So, to get back to your motor.  Does it have slots on
the end heads?  An internal fan?  I have always been a
fan (no pun intended) of forced ventilation for EV
motors.  That is using an external separately driven
fan to blow air thru the motor.  This provides a
steady stream of cool, clean air over the heat
producing components in the motor at all speeds, even
stopped.  Air should be ducted from a clean intake,
perhaps thru a filter.  This should enter the CEH and
exit the DEH.  Roland has posted some details.

The external fan can be started with a thermo switch
or just the key switch.  Forced ventilation can be
added to motors having and internal fan as well as
those without.  You will need to have slots at both
ends.

Air cooling over the outside of the motor is not
nearly as effective, but will help.

And keeping the motor cooler will make it a little
more efficient, since the resistance of copper rises
with temperature, and also increase insulation life.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

--- Richard Acuti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well here's the good news:
>
> I drove my car home 20 miles on the freeway at 55 &
> 65 mph. The moment I got
> home, I slapped my multi-meter on the temp probe
> pigtails of my motor to see
> if the probe was open or closed (since I haven't
> hooked up a dummy/warning
> light yet) and the probe was still open. I assume
> this is good and that I
> haven't overheated.
>
> The motor is an ADC L91-4003 6.7" motor. I've seen
> motors that have a
> coupling on the body where you can hook up a duct or
> a cooling blower. These
> motors have no such fitting. This leaves me with
> more questions:
>
> How can I set up forced air cooling for this motor?
> Am I supposed to?
> Do ADC motors provide some self cooling while they
> spin? For instance, if I
> leave the car in gear while I coast, is the motor
> circulating air?
> Should I just mount a couple of small DC fans to
> blow on the motor body?
>
> Rich

> PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web
> mail—award-winning Windows
> Live Hotmail.

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

or just tow the car at a slow speed using a spring-scale to measure the
'weight' i.e. force
I'd do it in an empty parking lot, and have a driver in the towed car with brake
foot ready. ;>)
your odometer is so inaccurate its worthless IMO. Look into using a GPS or an accelerometer like a GTech. or a bicycle speedo, after you measure actual wheel diameter.

I'd think, though, just spinning the wheels up on the lift would be good enough.

HTH
JF

From: "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: 55mph
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:06:53 -0400

A lot of people don't have that kind of data though. I don't know the Cd of my Nissan or the tire drag coefficient. I do however have the ability to use that general calculation.

This reminds me of the story of the guy who was looking for his car keys under a streetlight. A friend came along and asked him what he was doing there. He said " I dropped my keys on the next block, but there's no streetlight down there".

If you don't have the data for your car ( and don't want to try to find it on the Web) then try this :

Use 0.01 for your tire RR, and use 0.35 for your drag coefficient. For the frontal area, measure the car's height and width with a tape measure and multiply them together, then multiply that number by 0.8. That will be a good approximation. Then you can use the real formula.

You're much better off doing that than using the MOPAR "formula" - it really makes no sense at all.

Phil Marino

From: Marcin Ciosek
> I bought 1900 LiFP cells and the voltage difference between highest
> and lowest value was 7mV!

With the typical open-circuit difference from 0% to 100% SOC being about 0.1v,
this corresponds to roughly 0.007/0.1= 7%. Sounds small, but it's too much to
ignore.

> Assuming you will start from similar point you balancer will do the
> trick as long as zener diodes won't differ too much (usually tolerance
> of of shunt voltage is 5%).

Zener diodes usually have a 5% tolerance, which is too much in this situation.
Also, low voltage zeners have really large variations with current and
temperature. They would be inadequate for per-cell regulation.

Try a zener-equivalent integrated circuit, like a ZL431 or LM138 instead.

> I would add a protection circuit preventing cells from deep
> discharge. If you don't need fancy BMS that would cost (for you
> configuration) 400E this will work fine.

Yes; this is a virtual necessity. Running them down to 2v or so is a one-way
trip!

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard

Frontal area is the the projected area that is occupied by the car
when seen from the front. So you want the widest and tallest point of
the car. the 0.8 factor is to compensate for the fact that your car is
not a perfect square (unless it's a hummer)

Here's a good resource for finding drag and area numbers for cars.
http://www.mayfco.com/tbls.htm

-Peter